planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:42 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16533
P-F1 Mod wrote:
But if you go into a topic expecting a certain subject to be under discussion and find that it's not what's being discussed, it gets confusing.


Yep it's not ideal but how does that confused person benefit from the thread being locked?

It's just always something that's done because convention says so rather than it actually being for anybodies gain.

In the case of race threads its only natural that eventually they drift onto subjects that the race brings up. If people want to discuss those finer points then what's the harm?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 3959
It's hardly convention, we've only started doing it this year.

_________________
Forum rules: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14979

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16533
P-F1 Mod wrote:
It's hardly convention, we've only started doing it this year.


I was musing more generally rather than specifically on official race threads.

My central point to the locking of race threads is to really just question who gets hurt by leaving them open? What do we lose?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 2601
It's pretty much infuriating how quickly race threads get locked. There is no question.

What, do we need official "race aftermath" or "thoughts on the race weekend" threads or something? Maybe that could work, but it's natural for tangents to arise in the main thread in the days following the race.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9980
Maybe the deadline could be moved further up, e.g. to the next race weekend?

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4406
Invade wrote:
It's pretty much infuriating how quickly race threads get locked. There is no question.

What, do we need official "race aftermath" or "thoughts on the race weekend" threads or something? Maybe that could work, but it's natural for tangents to arise in the main thread in the days following the race.


Frustratingly, the most recently locked race thread has, according to a mod, served its purpose. Well, looking down the first couple of pages of the forum, the overwhelming majority of threads have petered out and thus served their purpose I would assume. They're not locked though.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm
Posts: 2576
Asphalt_World wrote:
Invade wrote:
It's pretty much infuriating how quickly race threads get locked. There is no question.

What, do we need official "race aftermath" or "thoughts on the race weekend" threads or something? Maybe that could work, but it's natural for tangents to arise in the main thread in the days following the race.


Frustratingly, the most recently locked race thread has, according to a mod, served its purpose. Well, looking down the first couple of pages of the forum, the overwhelming majority of threads have petered out and thus served their purpose I would assume. They're not locked though.


Might as well lock this thread as well at this stage :-P

_________________
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4406
Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Invade wrote:
It's pretty much infuriating how quickly race threads get locked. There is no question.

What, do we need official "race aftermath" or "thoughts on the race weekend" threads or something? Maybe that could work, but it's natural for tangents to arise in the main thread in the days following the race.


Frustratingly, the most recently locked race thread has, according to a mod, served its purpose. Well, looking down the first couple of pages of the forum, the overwhelming majority of threads have petered out and thus served their purpose I would assume. They're not locked though.


Might as well lock this thread as well at this stage :-P


:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 3959
We began locking race threads because a few days after events they started to become circular, and people entrenched in their positions were getting increasingly aggressive towards other users. So by leaving threads open, we'd have ended up having to ban people (since mods intervening in these circumstances often didn't work). We felt that since a ban is a last resort, and new threads usually pop up for specific incidents anyway, locking race threads was the sensible move. It also meant if two major incidents happened in a race that those two discussions weren't tripping over each other.

If you're using Abu Dhabi's aftermath to disprove our theories, you've hit on a flaw: the forum always goes quiet once the season is over.

_________________
Forum rules: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14979

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4406
P-F1 Mod wrote:
We began locking race threads because a few days after events they started to become circular, and people entrenched in their positions were getting increasingly aggressive towards other users. So by leaving threads open, we'd have ended up having to ban people (since mods intervening in these circumstances often didn't work). We felt that since a ban is a last resort, and new threads usually pop up for specific incidents anyway, locking race threads was the sensible move. It also meant if two major incidents happened in a race that those two discussions weren't tripping over each other.

If you're using Abu Dhabi's aftermath to disprove our theories, you've hit on a flaw: the forum always goes quiet once the season is over.


I understand the problems involved in moderating the forum and do sympathise with the time and effort put it. It's just a shame that the good are punished because of the bad. I know I sound like a broken record, but the racing is the main reason we're here, but they're the threads that are locked, regardless of how the conversation is going. I would have no issue with them being locked, possibly temporarily, if the posting becomes offensive.

Locking threads because of some posting is like my school banning all of the children from going out at break-time simply because some of the children in the school are misbehaving during these times.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 1589
Location: UK
Agree with that AW, what is clear to me is that the mods have a good grip on the sites moral and legal position and have in the past censored and even blocked posters for infractions.

The mods have tools at their disposal to deal with these miscreants, polite warnings, removing posts, blocking, either temporarily or permanently and locking threads. Shouldn't those sanctions be applied in that order with thread locking being the last resort?
Seems to mean that locking is a bit of a nuclear option and other methods might be just as effective.

I do recognise that the mods task is an invidious one and that what I am saying might be more work, however, since the protagonists are limited it might be a lesson that only needs instigate a couple of time to make a point.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 3959
Historically it's been extremely rare that we've intervened once a thread has become circular, and the thread doesn't instantly die. Locking therefore serves effectively the same purpose, except without the risk of our intervention being ignored. I agree that we shouldn't punish the whole forum by preventing discussion about the most recent race, but at the same time there's invariably another thread set up to discuss each of the major incidents anyway, so it's not like there's nowhere else to post. The race threads are traditionally just there for the duration of the race anyway. Their longer term survival is a newer phenomenon.

This sort of policy is always under review anyway, especially as it's only been in place for about a third of a season. The team has been discussing leaving them unlocked again next season. We'll see what happens.

_________________
Forum rules: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14979

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group