All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:51 pm 

RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Rick why are you persistent on trying to take over everything? :/

If you don't like the forum then don't come here. The layout has always been Chat and Off Topic and no one has complained about it before to the extent you are. I'm sure if you PM'd a Mod they'd get onto the tech guys who would look at the changes you have suggested, they all have day jobs etc too so they can't do everything at the click of you fingers. Let them do their jobs.

Playing the big "I am" won't win you many friends here.

Sorry Laura but the only person who seems to be trying to take over anything here is you. I merely made a post consolidating 6 pages of requests, in an effort to make it a bit easier to get the changes that the community have asked for put in place. Why is that such a problem for you? At no point have I said 'this must be done immediately' and I've even offered to provide one or two bits as I've got them sitting here from other sites. I'm fully aware that the mods are not able to do these things and that they must be done by the (fully paid, in house) tech team at TeamTalk Media (which is owned by BSkyB). I know the mods are likely not paid a penny - very few forum moderaters are. But the technical staff are paid, and they are able to make changes as needed.

Sorry if you feel I'm trying to take over something, but you're way off base here.

What exactly am I trying to take over? I'm not the one who is keeping up with the constant wingeing about everything and offering to do this and do that. What if the majority don't care about a new theme? If the tech team think it is something that is needed then they will do it, if not then they won't. Accept that and move on.

I'll be honest here, it looks like you are trying to suck up to the Mods a little bit by offering to do this and that. It's like the kid in class who did extra homework despite not being asked then demanding to answer all the questions in class. It gets irritating to everyone else. And please stop about the avatars. They have already said it won't be changed. Accept it and move on.

You're contributions elsewhere on the forum are excellent most of the time so focus on that and let the Mods worry about the changes that may or may not occur. :)

Also I am only being honest, I'd rather not BS you.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:04 pm 

RickM wrote:
Any update on the much needed changes? Here's what (from memory) needs doing:

1. Fonts need making bigger on the header, breadcrumbs and other areas as they are way to small.
2. Minor styling issues - e.g red text doesnt work well on the grey bg, the post bg isnt too nice either and it should really be white.
3. Registration form needs a custom field adding (this is the most important and a gherkin easy thing to do - I've even offered to do it for you)
4. The post moderation needs removing completely
5. A notice needs to be added to the signature edit page saying the sig image rules (again, gherkin easy template edit)
6. Tapatalk would be a good addition.
7. Attachments should be allowed - its not like PF1's limited on storage space...
8. A minor thing, but a second copy of the skin that is a fixed width.
9. Quick Reply
10. Remove the redirect page after posting a reply or new thread (its a simple yes/no setting in the admin cp)
11. Links should open in a new window (again, simple setting in the admin area)
12. Posts per page should really be reduced to 25. If you cant allow an avatar over a measly 6Kib, then threads should be limited to 25 posts per page as each page is around 3mb.
13. At the bottom of a long thread, next to the 'new topic' and 'post reply' buttons on the left, it says 'Page 1 of X' in white...then in a dark grey it says ['x posts'] - can barely read it.
14. Leading on from 13, in the same area but on the right, the pagination links are dark red on a black background...need I say more?
15. This needs to become a FORUM. At the moment it has a 'f1 chat' and an 'offtopic' section. Thats not how you run a forum. You should be splitting these out into multiple forums, one for each team maybe. Seems really, really stupid to call it a forum when its just currently a threaded topic list.
16. (not sure if this has been fixed yet) Spoiler tags are not yet working.
17. Need to add a bbcode for image size (e.g [img={width}x{height}]{url}[/img]) - IIRC phpbb has a plugin for this.
18. This helps aid spam prevention. Remove the powered by phpbb line at the bottom and replace it with an image instead. That way the bots cant find the site by googling "Powered by PHPBB" - done it on all my sites in the past and works a treat.

Think that's everything from the thread so far - thought it would be easier to have it in a nice ordered list.

As a sidenote, could I get permission to submit a custom designed phpbb theme to you? I'm a developer by trade and would like to give this place a better look. No offence to the current designer but it's not exactly pretty. You could even leave it as a second option for people (you can enable user theme switching in the acp) so they can choose the design.

I'd be happy to do it for you (for free of course) as a way of saying thanks for the best f1 forum around :)

OK, getting on to the techies again now, but for a quick response to a couple of points:

We cannot remove post moderation completely at the moment as then we get inundated with spam again.
The sig rules merely reflect the settings I put on them in the first place, so there's no need to change that page.
The number of posts isn't a major feature - the page numbers are the only bit you can actually navigate by, so I'm inclined to say the post count next to it is superfluous anyway. I do agree with you on 14 though.
Spoilers have been brought up, but didn't take precedent at the time.
Interesting tip on 18.
Number 15 is non-negotiable: we tried a number of different layouts in recent years on the old format, once having Chat, In-Depth [the technical forum], Off-Topic and Gaming. It slowed the forum down and people complained they were unsure where some topics belonged, so the two you see now seems the best layout.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:37 pm 

AnonimNo.513 wrote:
when i will be able to make new threads? i still can't :-P

There's a seperate sticky thread about that. We are trying to sort it.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:58 pm 

I still think the color combination and font choice makes reading difficult.

How about returning to the font used in the old PF1 forum?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:36 pm 

RickM wrote:

1. Fonts need making bigger on the header, breadcrumbs and other areas as they are way to small.
2. Minor styling issues - e.g red text doesnt work well on the grey bg, the post bg isnt too nice either and it should really be white.
9. Quick Reply
10. Remove the redirect page after posting a reply or new thread (its a simple yes/no setting in the admin cp)
12. Posts per page should really be reduced to 25. If you cant allow an avatar over a measly 6Kib, then threads should be limited to 25 posts per page as each page is around 3mb.
13. At the bottom of a long thread, next to the 'new topic' and 'post reply' buttons on the left, it says 'Page 1 of X' in white...then in a dark grey it says ['x posts'] - can barely read it.
14. Leading on from 13, in the same area but on the right, the pagination links are dark red on a black background...need I say more?
17. Need to add a bbcode for image size (e.g [img={width}x{height}]{url}[/img]) - IIRC phpbb has a plugin for this.

5. A notice needs to be added to the signature edit page saying the sig image rules (again, gherkin easy template edit)

Think that's everything from the thread so far - thought it would be easier to have it in a nice ordered list.

As a sidenote, could I get permission to submit a custom designed phpbb theme to you? I'm a developer by trade and would like to give this place a better look. No offence to the current designer but it's not exactly pretty. You could even leave it as a second option for people (you can enable user theme switching in the acp) so they can choose the design.

I'd be happy to do it for you (for free of course) as a way of saying thanks for the best f1 forum around :)

Rick, if you are a developer and want to help I am making a Chrome extension that already does some of what you are saying and will eventually most of it (obviously, only client side stuff)

1,2,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 and 17 are all things that will be addressed (well with 17 the extension will rescale oversized images to fit the browser window which is a much better solution than allowing posters to set it to what they want)

More information here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=156

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:03 pm 

Sorry if already posted. On many forums if you are logged out and reading posts, you simply click reply or quote (to a specif post not thread), which then links to the login screen. Once logged in you have the quoted post within ur reply ready to go. It just saves a step. Am i missing something or was this available on the old forum? Is there a way to accomplish this?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:39 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
RickM wrote:

9. Quick Reply

Rick, if you are a developer and want to help I am making a Chrome extension that already does some of what you are saying and will eventually most of it (obviously, only client side stuff)

1,2,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 and 17 are all things that will be addressed (well with 17 the extension will rescale oversized images to fit the browser window which is a much better solution than allowing posters to set it to what they want)

More information here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=156

I'd be more than happy to help out :) I'll be up front - I've never attempted a chrome plugin but I'm quick to pick things up. I usually work on php, javascript such.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:52 am 

Just wanted to say thanks to the mods and admins & techs for all their efforts. Also to ATH and RickM for volunteering their time to help. (Maybe after you're done the chrome thing you could come up with something for Firefox? ;) )
I think I've solved my sig pic issue by utilizing the Adblock plus extension for Firefox. Whichever sigs make me dizzy (or nauseous x( ) I can just right click and it's instant bye-bye. I couldn't force myself to turn them all off via CP after I saw Rewas sig :lol: .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:41 pm 

virtuallynobody wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks to the mods and admins & techs for all their efforts. Also to ATH and RickM for volunteering their time to help. (Maybe after you're done the chrome thing you could come up with something for Firefox? ;) )
I think I've solved my sig pic issue by utilizing the Adblock plus extension for Firefox. Whichever sigs make me dizzy (or nauseous x( ) I can just right click and it's instant bye-bye. I couldn't force myself to turn them all off via CP after I saw Rewas sig :lol: .

Firefox extensions are a lot more complicated to make than Chrome extensions (Chrome extensions are essentially just Javascript that run once the page is loaded, whereas Firefox extensions are actual plugins to the web browser. So it's unlikely, but I will look in to it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:56 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
AnonimNo.513 wrote:
when i will be able to make new threads? i still can't :-P

There's a seperate sticky thread about that. We are trying to sort it.

yeah! i can make new threads now!
thanks!

good job!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36 pm 

My avatar has changed of its own accord, from the Calvin&Hobbes I chose to Alonso's helmet. 8O

Now, I know I am an Alonso supporter, and most of you guys know that I am an Alonso supporter - but it gets a bit scary, "2001 Space Odyssey" style, when the forum itself knows too!!! Please tell me that none of our servers is called HAL... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:34 am 

morgana wrote:
My avatar has changed of its own accord, from the Calvin&Hobbes I chose to Alonso's helmet. 8O

Now, I know I am an Alonso supporter, and most of you guys know that I am an Alonso supporter - but it gets a bit scary, "2001 Space Odyssey" style, when the forum itself knows too!!! Please tell me that none of our servers is called HAL... ;)

Looks fine now, but I'm guessing you changed it back manually?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:01 am 

Font colours have been altered slightly, but will be reviewed properly next week. I am told spoiler tags are next on the to-do list.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:33 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
virtuallynobody wrote:

Firefox extensions are a lot more complicated to make than Chrome extensions (Chrome extensions are essentially just Javascript that run once the page is loaded, whereas Firefox extensions are actual plugins to the web browser. So it's unlikely, but I will look in to it

You can write javascript addons for Firefox too.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... asemonkey/

It's a very popular addon that works a lot like Chrome extensions. I think you can actually port your chrome script onto greasemonkey directly without much difficulty, but I'm not sure.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:20 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
morgana wrote:

I have realised that it changes to the helmet only when I browse the forum from my home PC - all other computers seem to be fine with Calvin&Hobbes.

So apparently I have found HAL after all, and it is sitting at my own desk at home - I guess that I should be really scared now! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:47 pm 

morgana wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
morgana wrote:

I have realised that it changes to the helmet only when I browse the forum from my home PC - all other computers seem to be fine with Calvin&Hobbes.

So apparently I have found HAL after all, and it is sitting at my own desk at home - I guess that I should be really scared now! ;)

Strange, hopefully this is an isolated problem and HAL settles down, but I'll run it by the techies in case they can do anything.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:02 am 

morgana wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
morgana wrote:

I'm seeing the helmet now, in both your above posts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:23 am 
virtuallynobody wrote:
morgana wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
morgana wrote:

Boss, let's get the Zords: HAL is trying to take over! ;)

Seriously, we'll ask the tech wizards to look into it. But Morgana, am I correct in thinking that this is not a major issue for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:01 pm 

My avatar is not working, any idea why? It fits the dimensions and file size as requested :-((

#3 - Daniel Ricciardo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:05 pm 

RocketSkates wrote:
My avatar is not working, any idea why? It fits the dimensions and file size as requested :-((

I'm looking at it. Check your settings, you may have it set to hide avatars.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:53 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
RocketSkates wrote:

I'm looking at it. Check your settings, you may have it set to hide avatars.

Seems to be working now! Dont know what happened but thanks lol

#3 - Daniel Ricciardo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:22 pm 

Mod_Yellow wrote:
virtuallynobody wrote:
morgana wrote:

Seriously, we'll ask the tech wizards to look into it. But Morgana, am I correct in thinking that this is not a major issue for you?

No, it isn't, not at all. In fact, I sort of like the funny side of having what could be described as a case of multiple personalities - as Tufty said in some other thread, sanity has never been one of my strong points, so it is appropriate that it shows somehow :D

Plus, as Virtuallynobody can testify, the helmet is quite nice too :nod:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:31 pm 

morgana wrote:
Mod_Yellow wrote:
virtuallynobody wrote:
morgana wrote:

No, it isn't, not at all. In fact, I sort of like the funny side of having what could be described as a case of multiple personalities - as Tufty said in some other thread, sanity has never been one of my strong points, so it is appropriate that it shows somehow :D

Is this the helmet?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:38 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
morgana wrote:
Mod_Yellow wrote:

Is this the helmet?

No, that's my Calvin and Hobbes avatar. The helmet is just like this one

I am trying to remember if I ever tried it as my avatar before I chose the C&H one, but my brain refuses to cooperate...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:48 pm 

morgana wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
morgana wrote:
Mod_Yellow wrote:

Is this the helmet?

I am trying to remember if I ever tried it as my avatar before I chose the C&H one, but my brain refuses to cooperate...

Sorry, that was incredibly stupid of me. I should have taken a screenshot.

Let me show how it looks in my browser:

Can you tell me which browser you are using when you are getting the wrong image?

I think I know what the problem is.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:58 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
morgana wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
morgana wrote:
Mod_Yellow wrote:

Is this the helmet?

Sorry, that was incredibly stupid of me. I should have taken a screenshot.

Let me show how it looks in my browser:

Can you tell me which browser you are using when you are getting the wrong image?

I think I know what the problem is.

I use Firefox, but the funny thing is that I use it in the two computers that I have at home: one shows C&H, and the other one shows the helmet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:14 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Is this the helmet?

It's Calvin and Hobbes in my ChromePlus. :lol:

Edit: In fact, it always was too. I saw the helmet avatar for the 1st time in that morgana's message including a direct img url.

Last edited by seesaw on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:24 pm 

ATH: I cleared my cache (firefox) and now see the Calving & Hobbes avatar for Morgana's posts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:34 pm 

The issue is basically boiling down to the fact that the images being served are being dynamically generated (or dynamically redirected) and are confusing the browser's cache system causing it to load a cached image rather than the current one. Clearing your browser's history should sort out the problem, or control refreshing, or shift refresh then control refresh if you want to be less extreme. But clearing the cache should definitely sort it.

While it is technically the browser causing the problem, the system that phpBB is using to store the avatars is ultimately what is causing the problem. Having lots of src tags as file.php?=XXXXXX is ultimately going to trip up the browser, it would be better if the avatars were uploaded to a folder and then linked to directly as that would sort out this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:38 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
The issue is basically boiling down to the fact that the images being served are being dynamically generated (or dynamically redirected) and are confusing the browser's cache system causing it to load a cached image rather than the current one. Clearing your browser's history should sort out the problem, or control refreshing, or shift refresh then control refresh if you want to be less extreme. But clearing the cache should definitely sort it.

While it is technically the browser causing the problem, the system that phpBB is using to store the avatars is ultimately what is causing the problem. Having lots of src tags as file.php?=XXXXXX is ultimately going to trip up the browser, it would be better if the avatars were uploaded to a folder and then linked to directly as that would sort out this problem.

Thank you, Alien. I have understood only a tiny bit of what you explained above :blush: , but I think that I know how to clear the cache - I will give it a try as soon as I am back in the rebellious computer, and let you know how it works :)

Now, in the case of Virtuallynobody, is the explanation that he logged into PF1 while the helmet avatar was activated?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:47 pm 

morgana wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Thank you, Alien. I have understood only a tiny bit of what you explained above :blush: , but I think that I know how to clear the cache - I will give it a try as soon as I am back in the rebellious computer, and let you know how it works :)

Now, in the case of Virtuallynobody, is the explanation that he logged into PF1 while the helmet avatar was activated?

To cut a long answer short, pretty much. The fact I could see it also means I have logged on and my browser has seen that image.

To explain why this is happening - a webpage is basically sent to your browser as a text file and that text file has links to images, the browser then downloads these images. However, to save on bandwidth, and to make pages load faster, the web browser will check to see if it has downloaded an image before. In simple terms - when the browser is getting the page it thinks that the file it is being asked to download is the Alonso helmet it has saved in its memory so isn't downloading the current image.

The technical part of the post was more of the attention of the moderators/techies ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:42 pm 

morgana wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Morgana instead of clearing your history simple press ctrl + F5 in your browser on a page where you can see you avatar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:54 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
morgana wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Morgana instead of clearing your history simple press ctrl + F5 in your browser on a page where you can see you avatar.

F5 is just the shortcut for refresh so Control F5 is the same as Control Refresh. However, it is not actually as comprehensive as clearing the history so while I would try it first it might not always work, and these redirected/dynamic images are one such example where the browser might break down. Chrome, for example, is terrible for updating cached JavaScript files by control refreshing.

It *should* work, but sometimes the browsers aren't 100% reliable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:56 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
morgana wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

F5 is just the shortcut for refresh so Control F5 is the same as Control Refresh. However, it is not actually as comprehensive as clearing the history so while I would try it first it might not always work, and these redirected/dynamic images are one such example where the browser might break down. Chrome, for example, is terrible for updating cached JavaScript files by control refreshing.

Ctrl + F5 in Firefox overrides cache :!: You don't need to clear history....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:25 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
morgana wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Ctrl + F5 in Firefox overrides cache :!: You don't need to clear history....

Control Refresh (which is what control F5 does) overrides the cache in all browsers. However, and I know this from thousands of hours of testing websites on all browsers that is isn't 100% reliable. Sometimes, under some circumstances, some files are still read from the cache, for whatever reason. Like I said, Chrome has an issue with caching JavaScript files. Sometimes files which are on a different server don't get refreshed.

Firefox is probably the most reliable browser, however the fact that it is incorrectly caching the forum avatars shows that it isn't infallible, however control refreshing it should solve it. If, in the incredibly unlikely situation that it doesn't, clearing the browser history is the only way to be 100% certain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:42 am 

Is there any reason why, within threads, user names are not links?

On the main board, the names of the thread starter, and last poster are 'linkable', but not so, once you get into the thread itself.

I'm sure they used to be on the previous forum.

Just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:19 pm 

Probably because you can just click the "profile" button under each post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:27 pm 

:o What is the thing where it says "your post is awaiting approval"? Does it do that for every comment, wouldn't it make discussions between two people kind of a bit slow?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:37 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Probably because you can just click the "profile" button under each post.

Oops. :blush:

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:58 pm 

No offense but the colour of this layout is a little... it looks like a forum for Sith lords? Black and red, it's kind of corporate and menacing.

Is there any way to change the colour?