planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:00 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: First lap of Zandvoort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:26 am 

Thoughts?

Pretty short lap time. Was approx 1:22 here so in full blown quali mode I recon it'd be a Monza lap times, probably quicker. Track looks narrow (approx 9.5m wide crossing the start / finish line. About 8.5 - 9m wide on the run out to the top of the track but about 11.5 - 12m wide on the run back) & sweeping. Looks like overtaking could be at a real premium. Start finish straight looks to be about 700m long (measured on GE). That's roughly 100m shorter than Melbourne's. Yeah there's the long banked entry corner to the straight (similar to the corner section onto the long straight in China), but not sure that'll be a big help. I fear a procession here.

Also wondering what, if any, data RB were able to pull of Verstappen's laps of the track? Wasn't one of the big talking points around Zandvoort that being every team would roll up to the race not having any data surrounding the characteristics of the track?

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 363 trophies available, 26 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

Last edited by Jezza13 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:49 am 

Looks great. I honestly don't car if overtaking is difficult. It's just nice to have a track that actually has some flow to it and doesn't feel like painted lines on a car park. Love how it undulates from side to side on the straights.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:57 am 

Where would you install the DRS zones then?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:03 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:

Just after you've come off the banked turn into the main straight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:09 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:

Thoughts?

Pretty short lap time. Was approx 1:22 here so in full blown quali mode I recon it'd be a Monza lap times, probably quicker. Track looks narrow (approx 9.5m wide crossing the start / finish line. About 8.5 - 9m wide on the run out to the top of the track but about 11.5 - 12m wide on the run back) & sweeping. Looks like overtaking could be at a real premium. Start finish straight looks to be about 700m long (measured on GE). That's roughly 100m shorter than Melbourne's. Yeah there's the long banked entry corner to the straight (similar to the corner section onto the long straight in China), but not sure that'll be a big help. I fear a procession here.

Also wondering what, if any, data RB were able to pull of Verstappen's laps of the track? Wasn't one of the big talking points around Zandvoort that being every team would roll up to the race not having any data surrounding the characteristics of the track?

Indeed my thoughts as well, I did wonder if there might be some kind of leg up, however in this case I wonder if Verstappen was using last year's car?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:09 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Thoughts?

Indeed my thoughts as well, I did wonder if there might be some kind of leg up, however in this case I wonder if Verstappen was using last year's car?

It’s the RB8 I believe from 2012.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:10 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Thoughts?

The car's even older than that - no Halo.

He was putting no effort in missing apexes and running nowhere near his top speed. They're not getting anything useful from this I suspect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:19 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
I wouldn't. Not implementing them could be the best test of the usefulness of the banked final corner ahead of a straight. Quite apart from thinking DRS kills racing in the first place.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:27 pm 

JN23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Thoughts?

Yes as been pointed out no halo, that should have been an easy spot. :blush:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:29 pm 

Herb wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Thoughts?

The car's even older than that - no Halo.

He was putting no effort in missing apexes and running nowhere near his top speed. They're not getting anything useful from this I suspect.

Yes indeed nothing to get worked up about. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:29 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
I wouldn't. Not implementing them could be the best test of the usefulness of the banked final corner ahead of a straight. Quite apart from thinking DRS kills racing in the first place.

If you consider that racing should have no overtaking?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:46 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Surely being able to breeze past on the straight isn't racing? It's a time trial.

Hopefully with 2021 regs we will no longer need DRS.

It has it's moments but unfortunately it can make passing too inevitable and there's nothing exciting about an inevitable pass.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:00 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Surely being able to breeze past on the straight isn't racing? It's a time trial.

It has it's moments but unfortunately it can make passing too inevitable and there's nothing exciting about an inevitable pass.

If it is on the main straight then its not exactly very long then is it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:05 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

That's the longest straight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:18 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Rather that then no overtaking at all, this seems more like not wanting any DRS passes, even with DRS there seemed to be quite a few tracks were passing simply wasn't possible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:21 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no overtaking at the front even with DRS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:31 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Rather that then no overtaking at all, this seems more like not wanting any DRS passes, even with DRS there seemed to be quite a few tracks were passing simply wasn't possible.

I agree neither is what you want. I'd take very difficult passing over very easy passing though. Monaco last year was way more exciting having Verstappen hound Hamilton for lap after lap knowing he was going to have a go at some point than it would have been had he overtaken him easily and drove off into the distance.

We might have to suffer very little overtaking here in 2020 but it should hopefully be better in 2021.

Worth it I think to get a race track that isn't just full of the same long straight/big stop/long straight combination.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:32 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no overtaking at the front even with DRS.

Like most races in the last 30 years of F1 then.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:58 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Looks great. I honestly don't car if overtaking is difficult. It's just nice to have a track that actually has some flow to it and doesn't feel like painted lines on a car park. Love how it undulates from side to side on the straights.

I agree, it looks great.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:03 pm 

Looks great to drive, but I'm not expecting much in the way of racing. What I do really like though, and this may end up bringing the race to life, is that it looks very unforgiving to driver mistakes. Look at all those gravel traps!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:49 pm 

pokerman wrote:
JN23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Thoughts?

Yes as been pointed out no halo, that should have been an easy spot. :blush:

And while not wanting to cause more blushes, I miss that lovely engine note.... :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:53 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:

Longer than that; you have to go back before aerodynamics for overtaking to have been common at the front.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:14 pm 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Longer than that; you have to go back before aerodynamics for overtaking to have been common at the front.

The only time where we've had regular overtaking in the front 6 was with the cheese tyres 2011-13.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:04 pm 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

The cynic in me immediately wishes to add that at that time, sportsmanship was also still strong.

I like the clip, but that is one very short start/finish straight; I time it at under 7 seconds. The current massive downforce formula may have some influence, but I doubt it. I hope I'm wrong though; I've always liked Zandvoort and the banking certainly looks interesting.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:27 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:

DRS can be exciting only if the organizers place the DRS zones in a proper area and distance.

Valencia had a history of horrible races, until the very last one (2012) where they did get it right in location of the DRS zone. And that was one excellent race.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:27 am 

Looks beautiful to drive, but not so sure about the racing... looks like any passing would be tow/drs style rather than under braking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:08 am 

I like and always liked Zandvoort... But I don't see any of today's oversized trucks overtaking on this track (and certainly not with just 2 wheels on the blacktop, as it seems to be allowed nowadays).
I never understood why the successive changes in regulations made cars wider and longer (but there's a lot of things that I don't understand about the way F1 is ruled).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:10 am 

Just a thought but could they put DRS before the banking?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:49 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Just a thought but could they put DRS before the banking?

Well if you go to about 1:00 into this vid mikeyg it sounds like that's whats going to happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Om5ixhcLU

But where will the activation point be? Between the Kumho & Luyendijk curves? That'll make things interesting dropping a fair bit of downforce out of 1 corner & moving directly into another corner. Bear in mind that it looks like Verstappen's pretty much just cruising around the track in these vids. Imagine the cars taking those 2 corners at racing speed then imaging losing a pile of downforce between them. Sounds a bit dicy to me but then again I could be wrong & it might be perfectly safe to do so.

Maybe they'll put the activation zone before the kumho curve.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 363 trophies available, 26 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:00 pm 

A bit like Hungaroring in the sand hills.
Quali will be key.

- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:31 pm 

Might be difficult to overtake (what tracks aren't these days?), but.... it is a fast flowing track that will punish errors.

Short pit lane may make for interesting strategy. VSC pit stops may even be a under a 10s loss.

Last edited by Badgeronimous on Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:35 pm 

purchville wrote:
Quali will be key.

We will be in luck if so. The Hungaroring has been one of the best tracks of the turbo era.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:17 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
purchville wrote:
Quali will be key.

We will be in luck if so. The Hungaroring has been one of the best tracks of the turbo era.

I'm attending the ring this year, my first GP.

Has anyone in here attended it before? (Sorry for the off topic)