planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:28 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Which driver will win the Ferrari TMW vote in 2020?
Poll ended at Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:00 am
Sebastian Vettel 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Charles Leclerc 83%  83%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:00 am 

Into the final two predictions we go and while one of them is probably going to be very lopsided, if our penultimate TMW prediction thread is as closely fought as last year's TMW was then it could be very competitive indeed.

The 2019 Ferrari TMW result was unique as it was the only one where the result was split. Sebastian Vettel took 11 TMW wins to Charles Leclerc's 10, however it was the young Monegasque who had a larger share of the vote across the season, picking up 54% of it compared to Seb's 46%. Considering Leclerc has still started 11 races less than the number of wins Vettel has recorded, the gulf in experience between the two was far from evident. In truth, there is a strong argument that the TMW result flattered Vettel and that, over the season, Leclerc was the quicker driver. Both made high profile mistakes and both had those mistakes compounded by good results being lost through no fault of their own as Ferrari endured another messy campaign where they failed to deliver on their pre-season promise. And that's before you even start looking at situations where they failed to co-operate on the track as well as they should've, let alone the clash between the pair in Brazil that resulted in a double DNF.

What it does is set us up for a fascinating 2020 battle between the two. Vettel seems likely to have his contracted extended beyond 2020 (Mattia Binotto has just this morning said "it will come very soon to close the discussion", suggesting that a new contract could even be announced before Australia) and Leclerc has already been tied down to a long-term deal. The team stayed away from any headline grabbing times in the first test and are already perceived to be heading to Melbourne on the back foot, something which may or may not be the case, so perhaps a little less pressure will follow them there, which you would think will only be a good thing. But the real question is whether Vettel and Leclerc can co-exist and avoid any flashpoints. It seems somewhat unlikely given Vettel doesn't exactly have a history of accommodating every team order request, and has shown he doesn't always cope with frustration/the belief he has been wronged in the best way. Meanwhile Leclerc has already proven himself to be quick enough to find himself on the same part of track as his teammate on a regular basis, although if he can build on his 2019 performance then that might not even be the case as often this year. Seb, on the other hand, is going to be under pressure to bounce back from an 18 months where he has made too many mistakes, and must be desperate to put Leclerc in the shade a little. Can he do that in 2020 or will Leclerc's meteoric rise continue? And why is that even a saying when meteors don't rise, they fall?!

2019 TMW Result
Sebastian Vettel over Charles Leclerc (11-10, 46%)
78% of votes pre-season votes correctly predicted Vettel would triumph

2020 Prediction Results
Red Bull: Max Verstappen 95% - 5% Alex Albon
McLaren: Lando Norris 75% - 25% Carlos Sainz
Renault: Daniel Ricciardo 82% - 18% Esteban Ocon
AlphaTauri: Pierre Gasly 82% - 18% Daniil Kvyat
Racing Point: Sergio Perez 88% - 13% Lance Stroll
Alfa Romeo: Kimi Raikkonen 86% - 14% Antonio Giovinazzi
Haas: Kevin Magnussen 71% - 29% Romain Grosjean
Williams: George Russell 95% - 5% Nicholas Latifi

No huge surprise that Verstappen crushed Albon, taking 95% of the vote. I wouldn't be shocked if the single vote for Alex was made by the same person who voted for Latifi, too...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:23 am 

May be pretty optmistic, but I've gone for Vettel. If he's more comfortable with the car than last year, I think he'll be able to outperform Leclerc even if Leclerc has improved a little. When they were both at their best last year, I still think Vettel is better, but things may change in time.

I went for some other drivers that seemed to have been very one sided too. Including Kvyat over Gasly (which I am still surprised just how big the gap is) Gasly was slightly better than Kvyat at the end of last season, but I still think Kvyat is that bit better over a whole season.
Then I also went for Grosjean and don't get why the votes for him have been turned around towards magnussen for this year compared to last. Magnussen did beat Grosjean, but performance wise over the season, looking closely, Grosjean was clearly better on race day. It think championship points have influenced the votes for this season.

I just hope the Ferrari drivers are more relaxed with eachother. Both being as competetive as they are and close performance wise to me is making them weaker as a team. As boring as it is for some, I think having a clear number 1 driver works a lot better. But that isn't clear at Ferrari. At least if there is one, it isn't working.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:09 pm 

Logic says Leclerc. Drivers usually take a good step forward in their second season with a team even when they are experienced let alone as fresh on the scene as Leclerc. They were about even in 2019 so I think it's very likely Leclerc will have, at worst, an edge of Vettel in 2020.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:19 pm 

Given his inexperience I have to believe that Leclerc will improve this season, even then last season he was able to beat Vettel in qualifying even though the races themselves were quite even between the two drivers, an area were Leclerc acknowledges he needs to improve with tyre management.

The bottom line is that Leclerc came out on top in qualifying, far more poles, he had more wins, more points, all I hear for this year is that the car might suit Vettel better, it seems Vettel needs an outside influence to come out on top which is debatable at best, I have to go for Leclerc.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:21 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Given his inexperience I have to believe that Leclerc will improve this season, even then last season he was able to beat Vettel in qualifying even though the races themselves were quite even between the two drivers, an area were Leclerc acknowledges he needs to improve with tyre management.

The bottom line is that Leclerc came out on top in qualifying, far more poles, he had more wins, more points, all I hear for this year is that the car might suit Vettel better, it seems Vettel needs an outside influence to come out on top which is debatable at best, I have to go for Leclerc.

Agree with Leclerc.

Why do people think this years car might suit Vettel more? I’ve heard more downforce mentioned but didn’t he win his four championships in cars which have a lot less downforce than the current ones anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:06 pm 

JN23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Agree with Leclerc.

Why do people think this years car might suit Vettel more? I’ve heard more downforce mentioned but didn’t he win his four championships in cars which have a lot less downforce than the current ones anyway.

I guess it's something that sometimes happens, how many years did Kimi fans talk about cars/tyres not suiting him until the penny finally dropped?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:23 am 

I think the first four or five races will be a marker for the rest of the season. If Charles keeps edging him, Seb will end up in the same funky headspace that he has fallen into each of the last few years. I do think that Seb will make a point of starting strong to "earn" the number 1 seat at the Scuderia.

I definitely think that Charles is the future of the Scuderia but the question is whether Vettel can put together one last hurrah of a season in a comeback attempt.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:15 am 

Mort Canard wrote:
I think the first four or five races will be a marker for the rest of the season. If Charles keeps edging him, Seb will end up in the same funky headspace that he has fallen into each of the last few years. I do think that Seb will make a point of starting strong to "earn" the number 1 seat at the Scuderia.

I definitely think that Charles is the future of the Scuderia but the question is whether Vettel can put together one last hurrah of a season in a comeback attempt.

Can happen to the best of us :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:29 am 

Mort Canard wrote:

I'm not sure either of these drivers would allow themselves to be subjected to a #2 driver role and even then it's not really warranted unless you have a WDC capable car.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:11 pm 

Interesting how lopsided this one is. I voted Leclerc as well; my impression was that his ultimate pace was better last year, and assuming he makes a little improvement and his mistakes drop off he ought to have the edge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:14 pm 

I voted for Vettel. He was faster in races anyways most time. I expect Vettel to be more comfortable this year. Very rare to see a top driver loosing rear end in the Monza and spinning around in the race, that was strange. I think that was his worst race. I have a feeling he is going be good this year. I can't see him going to midfield so he will want to be in Ferrari. I doubt there is any chance for Mercedes or RBR sadly. It is a important year for him and I think he will deliver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:25 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
I voted for Vettel. He was faster in races anyways most time. I expect Vettel to be more comfortable this year. Very rare to see a top driver loosing rear end in the Monza and spinning around in the race, that was strange. I think that was his worst race. I have a feeling he is going be good this year. I can't see him going to midfield so he will want to be in Ferrari. I doubt there is any chance for Mercedes or RBR sadly. It is a important year for him and I think he will deliver

Was Vettel faster in races most of the time? Not saying he wasn’t but struggling to remember tbh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:49 pm 

While I do agree that Vettel and Leclerc are more error prone than say Hamilton, I also truly believe that the Ferrari is a harder car to drive on the limit than the Mercedes, because it has less downforce and is more instable.

Before someone says “Kimi didn’t make many mistakes”, Kimi was also constantly slower than Seb and probably wasn’t driving on the limit in the same way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:36 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
While I do agree that Vettel and Leclerc are more error prone than say Hamilton, I also truly believe that the Ferrari is a harder car to drive on the limit than the Mercedes, because it has less downforce and is more instable.

Before someone says “Kimi didn’t make many mistakes”, Kimi was also constantly slower than Seb and probably wasn’t driving on the limit in the same way.

Over the last couple of years the Mercedes was often to said to look more bit twitchy at the back than the Ferrari, who forgets the diva?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:43 pm 

Twitchiness isn't necessarily a bad thing if its predictable, although would be a nicer attribute for aggressive styles over smoother styles of driving.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:20 pm 

Badgeronimous wrote:
Twitchiness isn't necessarily a bad thing if its predictable, although would be a nicer attribute for aggressive styles over smoother styles of driving.

Another thing the reason Gasly did better when he went back to STR was because the car was easier to drive than the Red Bull car despite the Red Bull being faster, sometimes easier to drive doesn't mean quicker.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:30 pm 

KingVoid wrote:

I'm willing to believe this but is there any evidence to back it up? Less downforce doesn't necessarily mean the car is more instable?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:22 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

I'm willing to believe this but is there any evidence to back it up? Less downforce doesn't necessarily mean the car is more instable?

Well, for one Ferrari is clearly worse than Mercedes in the rain. Take Germany 2019 for example, Ferrari had the fastest car in the dry, but were miles slower than Mercedes in the wet. When on equal tyres, Leclerc was losing about 1 second per lap to the Mercedes drivers in the lead and Vettel almost 2 seconds. In the wet, the performance difference between cars that are easy to drive vs cars that are difficult to drive magnifies.

Then there’s the general impression I get from watching on-board footage. Watch Leclerc’s pole lap in Singapore, the car is dancing on the limit and it looks like he could crash at any given moment. Now compare that to any of Mercedes’ pole laps of 2019. They were all very smooth and silky.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:01 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Well, for one Ferrari is clearly worse than Mercedes in the rain. Take Germany 2019 for example, Ferrari had the fastest car in the dry, but were miles slower than Mercedes in the wet. When on equal tyres, Leclerc was losing about 1 second per lap to the Mercedes drivers in the lead and Vettel almost 2 seconds. In the wet, the performance difference between cars that are easy to drive vs cars that are difficult to drive magnifies.

Then there’s the general impression I get from watching on-board footage. Watch Leclerc’s pole lap in Singapore, the car is dancing on the limit and it looks like he could crash at any given moment. Now compare that to any of Mercedes’ pole laps of 2019. They were all very smooth and silky.

I don't remember anything being wrong about the Ferrari down force in 2017 yet in the wet qualifying at Monza Hamilton manged to out qualify both Ferrari cars by 2 seconds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:48 pm 

pokerman wrote:
I don't remember anything being wrong about the Ferrari down force in 2017 yet in the wet qualifying at Monza Hamilton manged to out qualify both Ferrari cars by 2 seconds.

Lance Stroll outqualified them too, so maybe we should just admit it was a mixed-up grid and not entirely down to merit?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:59 pm 

pokerman wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

2017 Ferrari was an excellent chassis, though very mediocre around Monza (both in the rain and in the dry).

The 2019 Ferrari was a nervous wreck with clear instability.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:53 am 

KingVoid wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

That's not what I remember at all. The Ferrari was thought to be the fastest car coming in the season mainly because it looked to be easier to drive than the Merc, Multiple onboards confirmed it. That is what had Autosport and all the media hyping up ferrari up until Melbourne last year. But we did find out the Merc ultimately had higher downforce and had a much higher performance ceiling, hence was faster most of the time but no way it was an easy car to drive. Hamilton was talking about it in the Drive to Survive series; even though the car was fastest, it had a weak front end, to quote his words exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:05 am 

kleefton wrote:
Hamilton was talking about it in the Drive to Survive series; even though the car was fastest, it had a weak front end, to quote his words exactly.

To my memory (I watched Drive to Survive last week, so hopefully decent) he said that at the German Grand Prix, where it was not the fastest car.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:10 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Lance Stroll outqualified them too, so maybe we should just admit it was a mixed-up grid and not entirely down to merit?

Well I wasn't the one looking to determine which cars had the best down force by looking at wet weather performances, also in terms of merit if the conditions allowed some drivers to out perform better cars then I can't think of anything that's actually more merited.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:14 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
pokerman wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

2017 Ferrari was an excellent chassis, though very mediocre around Monza (both in the rain and in the dry).

That's quite convenient to say that, that the superior downforce just didn't happen to help that rainy day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:16 pm 

kleefton wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

That's not what I remember at all. The Ferrari was thought to be the fastest car coming in the season mainly because it looked to be easier to drive than the Merc, Multiple onboards confirmed it. That is what had Autosport and all the media hyping up ferrari up until Melbourne last year. But we did find out the Merc ultimately had higher downforce and had a much higher performance ceiling, hence was faster most of the time but no way it was an easy car to drive. Hamilton was talking about it in the Drive to Survive series; even though the car was fastest, it had a weak front end, to quote his words exactly.

Yeah I remember it being said that it looked very twitchy to drive, certainly not easy to drive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:12 pm 

pokerman wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
pokerman wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

That's quite convenient to say that, that the superior downforce just didn't happen to help that rainy day.

Why ignore the fact that Ferrari was also dead slow on Sunday too, in the dry?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:46 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaEBL1Cr3Ow

Interesting.

Mark hues also thinks that Vettel will come out on top over the season. And as it happens, two other drivers that got heavily outvoted on this forum (Grosjean and Kvyat), he also thinks will beat their team mates. I happened to vote for all 3 of these and I agree with every driver he voted for and he gave good reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:12 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
pokerman wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
pokerman wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Why ignore the fact that Ferrari was also dead slow on Sunday too, in the dry?

Why ignore that Bottas in the other Mercedes was no quicker than the Ferrari's in the rain, how was Stroll able to be so fast in a car lacking downforce, was the Williams that easy to drive?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:15 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaEBL1Cr3Ow

Interesting.

Mark hues also thinks that Vettel will come out on top over the season. And as it happens, two other drivers that got heavily outvoted on this forum (Grosjean and Kvyat), he also thinks will beat their team mates. I happened to vote for all 3 of these and I agree with every driver he voted for and he gave good reasons.

Let's hope we get a season of racing to be able to make that comparison, also even though he's considered an expert I'm not sure that Hughes is actually better equipped to make the better judgements?