planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:23 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1935
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/imol ... a/4687179/

A bold move for sure, but I'd love to see Imola back on the calendar again. Even if it's a one-off.

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8142
I agree, bring Imola back!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4457
Would be lovely to see. Does it have the correct licence these days?

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1935
Asphalt_World wrote:
Would be lovely to see. Does it have the correct licence these days?

From the article:

Imola president Uberto Selvatico Estense insisted that the venue could be ready on time, and said that it is licensed for F1 cars.

“It would be very difficult to arrange it, but the track is ready,” he told Motorsport.com. “We can move very fast to host a grand prix as we did in the past. We would not be at our best, of course. But if it’s necessary, we will move on with it.

“We’ve got the homologation for F1. The pit building is OK. I think we miss some parts of the hospitality, but we can organize it very quickly if necessary.”


I reckon Liberty should forego a percentage of the hosting fee if this actually goes anywhere. The circuit is doing them a massive favour.

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4457
MistaVega23 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Would be lovely to see. Does it have the correct licence these days?

From the article:

Imola president Uberto Selvatico Estense insisted that the venue could be ready on time, and said that it is licensed for F1 cars.

“It would be very difficult to arrange it, but the track is ready,” he told Motorsport.com. “We can move very fast to host a grand prix as we did in the past. We would not be at our best, of course. But if it’s necessary, we will move on with it.

“We’ve got the homologation for F1. The pit building is OK. I think we miss some parts of the hospitality, but we can organize it very quickly if necessary.”


I reckon Liberty should forego a percentage of the hosting fee if this actually goes anywhere. The circuit is doing them a massive favour.


Thanks. I'd read a different report that didn't mention that.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 1889
Location: Canada
Yes please!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33926
I'm happy to see it fill the void provided the stewarding is on point.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4457
pokerman wrote:
I'm happy to see it fill the void provided the stewarding is on point.


What do you mean about the stewarding?

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16770
No way will we race at Imola. It doesn't even look like a car park.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7673
Location: Michigan, USA
I'm just going to lay this out there:

I don't see Imola being a good layout for modern F1. I predict the race would be very processional if it were held, and that people would apply a double standard by not calling it out for the boring spectacle it would be.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 3351
Location: UK
Exediron wrote:
I'm just going to lay this out there:

I don't see Imola being a good layout for modern F1. I predict the race would be very processional if it were held, and that people would apply a double standard by not calling it out for the boring spectacle it would be.

Was going to say this myself. It has great nostalgia value but I can't see it offering much in terms of actual racing. A bit like Zandvoort actually.

Was Imola ever a good race track? I can't recall any races there that were memorable for the right reasons. Personally I don't count Schumacher following Alonso round for 20-odd laps just because the track layout isn't conducive to overtaking as much of an advert for motor racing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16770
j man wrote:
Exediron wrote:
I'm just going to lay this out there:

I don't see Imola being a good layout for modern F1. I predict the race would be very processional if it were held, and that people would apply a double standard by not calling it out for the boring spectacle it would be.

Was going to say this myself. It has great nostalgia value but I can't see it offering much in terms of actual racing. A bit like Zandvoort actually.

Was Imola ever a good race track? I can't recall any races there that were memorable for the right reasons. Personally I don't count Schumacher following Alonso round for 20-odd laps just because the track layout isn't conducive to overtaking as much of an advert for motor racing.


Surely that was way more exciting than if Schumacher had overtaken Alonso easily half way down a 1.5k straight? The diffculty in overtaking made that race.

But yeah, it wasn't a classic. Still more fun than no GP and yhe fact that it does still have some gravel will make it at least a novelty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7673
Location: Michigan, USA
mikeyg123 wrote:
Surely that was way more exciting than if Schumacher had overtaken Alonso easily half way down a 1.5k straight? The diffculty in overtaking made that race.

That depends a bit on your point of view. Personally, I don't find it particularly enthralling to have one car following another when you know the overtake isn't coming. It's when the overtake might come - but doesn't come immediately - that the tension and excitement ramps up. The famous Senna/Mansell procession in Monaco is another one that really doesn't do it for me.

That said, sailing past under DRS has the opposite problem of when you know the overtake will come and there's nothing the driver in front can do about it. Finding the middle ground has proven very difficult.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16770
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Surely that was way more exciting than if Schumacher had overtaken Alonso easily half way down a 1.5k straight? The diffculty in overtaking made that race.

That depends a bit on your point of view. Personally, I don't find it particularly enthralling to have one car following another when you know the overtake isn't coming. It's when the overtake might come - but doesn't come immediately - that the tension and excitement ramps up. The famous Senna/Mansell procession in Monaco is another one that really doesn't do it for me.

That said, sailing past under DRS has the opposite problem of when you know the overtake will come and there's nothing the driver in front can do about it. Finding the middle ground has proven very difficult.


Agreed. At least when the overtake doesn't happen you never actually know though. Like at Monaco 2019 I don't think anyone thought Verstappen was going to overtake but knowing he was going to have a go kept things a lot more interesting than if he had made an easy overtake. There's always the chance the leading driver might make an error as well. We've seen that plenty of times.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33926
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I'm happy to see it fill the void provided the stewarding is on point.


What do you mean about the stewarding?

It's a reference to the stewarding last year at Monza.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2971
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Surely that was way more exciting than if Schumacher had overtaken Alonso easily half way down a 1.5k straight? The diffculty in overtaking made that race.

That depends a bit on your point of view. Personally, I don't find it particularly enthralling to have one car following another when you know the overtake isn't coming. It's when the overtake might come - but doesn't come immediately - that the tension and excitement ramps up. The famous Senna/Mansell procession in Monaco is another one that really doesn't do it for me.

That said, sailing past under DRS has the opposite problem of when you know the overtake will come and there's nothing the driver in front can do about it. Finding the middle ground has proven very difficult.

But wasn't that the same race in which he mugged Button before chasing down Alonso who, I thought, defended very well to fend him off. To me, that was exciting.
Having said that, I'm not convinced that Imola would be a great circuit for today.

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:11 am
Posts: 929
I don't like Imola, and when I look at the chicane in the Tamburello turn where Senna died, I still feel it is dangerous and doesn't have enough run-off where its needed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 am
Posts: 2898
They might as well just re-run 60 replays of the parade lap of the previous GP, it'd likely be as entertaining.

_________________
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 1889
Location: Canada
Well I just watched a bunch of old video from this track. My earlier enthusiasm for the idea has diminished sadly. Too bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7673
Location: Michigan, USA
jimmyj wrote:
Well I just watched a bunch of old video from this track. My earlier enthusiasm for the idea has diminished sadly. Too bad.

Sorry to be the one who tossed the grenade onto the thread's enthusiasm... :-P

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 am
Posts: 1034
why not just have a second GP at Vietnam instead?

Or even Fuji speedway?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 810
Location: McKinney, TX
It is a beautiful track to look at, but I don't think it will be fun to watch the current cars race on, although with their super high downforce the sweep through Piratella and the Rivazza's will be at speeds never seen before. The spectacle of the current car on an old-school track would be fabulous. And yes, the gravel. Seeing mistakes punished by gravel would be a welcome, welcome element.

Still, we are talking about racing, not qualifying, so while it bring back good memories and look scenic and gorgeous as ever, the race would likely be dull, I think. Maybe going into Tamburello a move could be made, I'm not sure. The race that everyone raves about in 2005 where Schumacher was chasing Alonso was actually made a spectacle because there was simply no place to pass---more to do with the circuit than anything else.

*shrugs* I'd still certainly watch it and hope for the best, and it would definitely beat no race at all.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 810
Location: McKinney, TX
It is a beautiful track to look at, but I don't think it will be fun to watch the current cars race on, although with their super high downforce the sweep through Piratella and the Rivazza's will be at speeds never seen before. The spectacle of the current car on an old-school track would be fabulous. And yes, the gravel. Seeing mistakes punished by gravel would be a welcome, welcome element.

Still, we are talking about racing, not qualifying, so while it bring back good memories and look scenic and gorgeous as ever, the race would likely be dull, I think. Maybe going into Tamburello a move could be made, I'm not sure. The race that everyone raves about in 2005 where Schumacher was chasing Alonso was actually made a spectacle because there was simply no place to pass---more to do with the circuit than anything else.

*shrugs* I'd still certainly watch it and hope for the best, and it would definitely beat no race at all.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 2295
Nah, come to Thruxton!

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 481
Location: USA
I don't see much choice. It is probably best to pick a circuit in Europe for sure however which circuit/promoter can get the fee paid to F1, promote the GP weekend, put this all in place in 90 days? You must look at Imola, Brands Hatch, Fiorano, might not be the most exciting circuits however if they want the GP weekend it's alternatives you must look at. Could Laguna Seca do? How about Atlanta? US may be an option as well. I say Imola may be the only option as it can get the crew, the logistics work for the teams, The circuit is rated for F1 there is history there ( might not be the best racing). If the teams do not want to lose the $$$ it's China later in the year or Imola at the current China date IMO.

_________________
One.
The best song ever written....thanks Bono
I am the Number 1Tifosi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16770
Here is a list of all circuits by grade -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... _FIA_Grade

Anything coming in at this short notice would need to already be a grade 1.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 1659
Location: UK
Looking somewhat unlikely as an alternative venue with Corona Virus now spreading in Northern Italy and the Italians are locking down towns.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/23/italy-draconian-measures-effort-halt-coronavirus-outbreak-spread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:17 pm
Posts: 688
Location: illinois
starting to look like there could be several races cancelled while this virus spreads across the world. heck, i see the olympics are carefully watching, and have not ruled out cancelling that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 1659
Location: UK
I know this might be a bit premature but how many races have to be completed to confirm that the World Championships are awarded?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2971
Back in the 50s it was between 7 and 9.

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1559
Starting to doubt whether we’ll have a race until May...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3752
JN23 wrote:
Starting to doubt whether we’ll have a race until May...

Coronavirus is uncontainable now. Anywhere with an international airport is going to get it now, so it's a case of slowing down its spread until the vaccines are ready and so the hospitals aren't overloaded. I don't think that F1 will contribute to the spread, and given that it's now spreading across Europe, those in F1 are likely to get it anyway given the travel they do across Europe anyway.

People involved in F1 can actually take steps to avoid infection as it is (F1 can charter places exclusively for the F1 personnel, they can enforce strict hand washing and sanitisation and avoid contact with the public)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 1659
Location: UK
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Starting to doubt whether we’ll have a race until May...

Coronavirus is uncontainable now. Anywhere with an international airport is going to get it now, so it's a case of slowing down its spread until the vaccines are ready and so the hospitals aren't overloaded. I don't think that F1 will contribute to the spread, and given that it's now spreading across Europe, those in F1 are likely to get it anyway given the travel they do across Europe anyway.

People involved in F1 can actually take steps to avoid infection as it is (F1 can charter places exclusively for the F1 personnel, they can enforce strict hand washing and sanitisation and avoid contact with the public)


Its not those involved in the teams that is the problem though, its fans travelling to the venue, mixing then returning that's the issue surely.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3752
Option or Prime wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Starting to doubt whether we’ll have a race until May...

Coronavirus is uncontainable now. Anywhere with an international airport is going to get it now, so it's a case of slowing down its spread until the vaccines are ready and so the hospitals aren't overloaded. I don't think that F1 will contribute to the spread, and given that it's now spreading across Europe, those in F1 are likely to get it anyway given the travel they do across Europe anyway.

People involved in F1 can actually take steps to avoid infection as it is (F1 can charter places exclusively for the F1 personnel, they can enforce strict hand washing and sanitisation and avoid contact with the public)


Its not those involved in the teams that is the problem though, its fans travelling to the venue, mixing then returning that's the issue surely.

In the absolute worst case the events could be run without fans at the track, they make up less than 1% of the audience of the races, and some form of agreement drawn up, or insurance claim, for the refunds of the tickets. Surely Liberty loses more money from event cancelation than ticket refunds?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 1385
Location: Kansas
JN23 wrote:
Starting to doubt whether we’ll have a race until May...


I am betting that Imola won't happen with the current Covid19 outbreak in northern Italy. Imola is not as close to the center of the outbreak as Monza but it is still close.

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:29 pm
Posts: 19
Location: Blackpool, Lancashire
Option or Prime wrote:
I know this might be a bit premature but how many races have to be completed to confirm that the World Championships are awarded?


According to the F1 sporting regulations the minimum is 10

3.1.4 The maximum number of Competitions in the Championship is 25, the minimum is 10.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 1659
Location: UK
OPR2005 wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
I know this might be a bit premature but how many races have to be completed to confirm that the World Championships are awarded?


According to the F1 sporting regulations the minimum is 10

3.1.4 The maximum number of Competitions in the Championship is 25, the minimum is 10.


Not saying you are wrong but this seems to indicate it is 8. http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15868&p=814889#p814889


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 4000
Option or Prime wrote:
OPR2005 wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
I know this might be a bit premature but how many races have to be completed to confirm that the World Championships are awarded?


According to the F1 sporting regulations the minimum is 10

3.1.4 The maximum number of Competitions in the Championship is 25, the minimum is 10.


Not saying you are wrong but this seems to indicate it is 8. http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15868&p=814889#p814889

That also says the maximum is 21, when we had 22 scheduled this year. It could well be out of date. Whether the minimum also changed, I don't know, but seems likely.

_________________
Forum rules: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14979

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 1659
Location: UK
This is the link: https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2021_formula_1_sporting_regulations_-_2019-10-31_1.pdf

Which takes you to this. So how does that work then?

ImageSource imgbb.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:08 pm
Posts: 1246
Considering the massive upheaval and costs involved in dusting off an old venue, plus the inevitable unknowns around safety etc. I would have thought a better solution might be to look at holding more than one race at particular current venues given they’re already setup and ready to go - just a though.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group