All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:37 pm 

Did anyone use this last year?

I bought the 9 month offer for £195 meaning just over £9 a race weekend

Now the best option seems to be the monthly £34 so nearly £14 per weekend

There's no contract so you can stop / start whenever you want

But was the £195 option in place this time last year? If it appeared later in the year maybe there's hope it will come again?

I will pay the £34 per month but it's pushed me to my personal limit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:23 pm 

I've done that deal the last two years. 2018 it was about £160 (it may have been even cheaper still) and for 2019 it was about £190.
I'm hoping we'll be in our new property by then and I can get Sky properly as it is expensive using NowTV and it is only in 720p and capped at 24fps. Though if sky is not available I'll stick with it again.

A thing to watch out for. They ended up showing the first 3 races last year on Sky One which is available on the Entertainment pack. I can't remember if they shown all the practice sessions but I do remember feeling a bit bitter that I could've watched them for free!

edit: Sorry didn't answer the most important bit. I think they start advertising it around testing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:14 pm 

Junglist wrote:
I've done that deal the last two years. 2018 it was about £160 (it may have been even cheaper still) and for 2019 it was about £190.
I'm hoping we'll be in our new property by then and I can get Sky properly as it is expensive using NowTV and it is only in 720p and capped at 24fps. Though if sky is not available I'll stick with it again.

A thing to watch out for. They ended up showing the first 3 races last year on Sky One which is available on the Entertainment pack. I can't remember if they shown all the practice sessions but I do remember feeling a bit bitter that I could've watched them for free!

edit: Sorry didn't answer the most important bit. I think they start advertising it around testing

The trick with Now TV is to go through their online cancellation after one month. It will automatically offer you 3 months for £60 (£20 per month).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:27 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
The trick with Now TV is to go through their online cancellation after one month. It will automatically offer you 3 months for £60 (£20 per month).

Very familiar with the cancellation dance! I often get the movies and entertainment for a fraction of the cost.

Hoping to have proper sky for the new season. Can't wait to see it in UHD and 50fps.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:54 pm 

I got it the last 2 years, but found i was using it less and less... waiting for Channel 4 hughlihts... might be a reflection on the predictable championships... though I must say i preferred Channel 4s coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:41 pm 

I created a thread already here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15389

It discussed the coverage as well as this deal so they could possibly do with being merged as they are exactly the same really.

I don't know how we can get the mods to merge them? It would probably be best.

The 9 month deal was only out about 2 weeks before the season started. So I think if it is an option, it will be right at the last moment again.....

I myself was getting very frustrated that even by the 10th of march last year, i posted on this thread saying sky still had not done a deal, then a day or two later, the deal was out. But they really do leave it until very late.

I'm not sure if i will get it though as I found myself just not caring at all for their pre race coverage and often didn't care if i missed the race and watched channel 4 after. It is just a pain avoiding the internet and news for that time between. But the sky coverage is dreadful and way too expensive IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:10 am 

I never understand why the Sky coverage has been dumbed down so much. The same has happened on BTSport with MotoGP. Cant imagine many F1 fans tuning into a free practice on a Friday want to hear about bacon sandwiches etc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:30 am 

Zazu wrote:
I never understand why the Sky coverage has been dumbed down so much. The same has happened on BTSport with MotoGP. Cant imagine many F1 fans tuning into a free practice on a Friday want to hear about bacon sandwiches etc

The presentation team is the only reason I don't take Sky. C4 practice sessions gave you a wealth of information and actually told the story of the practice phase so you had an idea about who was struggling, or who was on an upward trajectory. Sky is about the presenters weekend and who ate the most/hottest at the last meal.

As for MotoGP, I am watching more of the Moto2/Moto3 sessions as both the sessions chaired by either Gavin Emmet or Neil Hodgson are interesting and more informative.

These two ain't bad.

Last edited by shoot999 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:13 am 

I think the one saving grace of NowTV is that you're able to have it on 5 devices so I rarely missed a session the last two seasons as I could have the Friday practice sessions on my iPad whilst it was on my desk at work.