planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:09 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic

When will Hamilton receive a knighthood
Poll runs till Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:30 am
2021 regardless of whether he wins the WDC in 2020 (for his F1 achievements) 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
While active, after equalling Schumacher (for his F1 achievements) 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
While active, after beating Schumacher (for his F1 achievements) 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
When he retires, regardless of whether he wins more WDCs (for his F1 achievements) 48%  48%  [ 13 ]
When he retires, only if he at least equals Schumacher (for his F1 achievements) 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
When he retires, only if he exceeds Schumacher (for his F1 achievements) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
He'll receive one for his climate change / animal welfare activism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
He'll receive one for a different reason 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
He will never receive a knighthood. 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 27
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1440
shoot999 wrote:
https://twitter.com/mercedesamgf1/status/1036328190258634753

Silverstone crowd obviously; and not forgetting Monza.


Yep, quite clearly someone who struggles to connect with the crowd and lacks charisma :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 3079
j man wrote:
tim3003 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

TBF Andy Murray is hardly overflowing with charisma and it hasn't seemed to hold him back.

Personally I'd rather sportsmen not be honoured at all until retirement but seeing as they are Hamilton's MBE is a huge outlier given that he could argue he is Britain's most successful ever sportsman in a major, global sport.


Agreed on both counts. Successful sports stars can be pretty dull and unimaginative characters. These traits often go with the single-minded focus and nervelessness under pressure needed to get to the top. Hamilton is unusual in that he has a life and public persona outside F1 - he even poses as a model for advertising photos, so how he can be said to lack charisma is beyond me..

To me, lacking charisma does not necessarily imply a shy or introverted character. Charisma is about being able to inspire and connect with a crowd and Lewis is routinely poor at this. He fluffs his sentences, often makes poor word choices and relies heavily on bland, vacuous clichés ("Still we rise, guys"). Now this doesn't bother me personally as his driving does plenty of talking for him, but my point was that those who don't regularly tune in to watch all the races are not going to find Lewis a particularly inspiring or engaging character.

I cannot think of many people I know who don't like motorsport but do like Lewis Hamilton. Button, Hill and Mansell never had this problem.



Its 'Still I Rise'; and anyone who doesn't see what it means to him; and people like him, is simply not paying attention.

So Hilfiger and the others give him millions a year not to inspire others to buy into what he's advertising? The numerous charities don't use him to inspire others to dip into their pockets? And you think the 17 million or so on his social media are all F1 fans; because he can't connect with anyone outside of F1? You think when Prince Harry tried to get Invictus off the ground they turned to Hamilton to act as First Ambassador because of his lack of charisma and inability to inspire? And it seems the people who are paid to know these things value his Instagram commercial posts at $40,000. I think the nearest other F1 driver is valued at $3,000.

I think you will find its his lack of polish and PR shine that gives him his value.

Whether people like him or not, both Bernie and Liberty are quite open about Hamilton; he's box office.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16553
Also worth noting that Hamilton is one of the last drivers we have left that received the don't say anything about anything ever kind of media training that was big in the mid 00s. We had a lot of drivers and sportsmen in general around that time who would never show any personality and kind of made it their goal to be as bland as possible. Fortunately those times have passed and now people are encouraged to be more fun. I think that might go someway to explaining the difference in approach for Hamilton and Norris.

I don't think Hamilton is Mr Charisma but I do kind of like that fact he sticks out like a sore thumb compared to his peers in terms of personality, attitude and appearance. It takes a certain type of bravery to do that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7969
j man wrote:
tim3003 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

TBF Andy Murray is hardly overflowing with charisma and it hasn't seemed to hold him back.

Personally I'd rather sportsmen not be honoured at all until retirement but seeing as they are Hamilton's MBE is a huge outlier given that he could argue he is Britain's most successful ever sportsman in a major, global sport.


Agreed on both counts. Successful sports stars can be pretty dull and unimaginative characters. These traits often go with the single-minded focus and nervelessness under pressure needed to get to the top. Hamilton is unusual in that he has a life and public persona outside F1 - he even poses as a model for advertising photos, so how he can be said to lack charisma is beyond me..

To me, lacking charisma does not necessarily imply a shy or introverted character. Charisma is about being able to inspire and connect with a crowd and Lewis is routinely poor at this. He fluffs his sentences, often makes poor word choices and relies heavily on bland, vacuous clichés ("Still we rise, guys"). Now this doesn't bother me personally as his driving does plenty of talking for him, but my point was that those who don't regularly tune in to watch all the races are not going to find Lewis a particularly inspiring or engaging character.

I cannot think of many people I know who don't like motorsport but do like Lewis Hamilton. Button, Hill and Mansell never had this problem.


In fairness Kimi is the absolute worst at this, but has a huge fan base, so go figure?

I also find all that "still I rise" puns and cliches a bit unnecessary, but if this is a way to connect to people then why not, he is not harming anyone really. I personally prefer to see these athletes for their sports abilities, not their social skills, they are not there to look good but to race.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:46 am
Posts: 339
Location: Suffolk, UK
Siao7 wrote:

In fairness Kimi is the absolute worst at this, but has a huge fan base, so go figure?


I think charisma is the ability to enter a room and have everyone stop to look at you. It's not about being articulate. As you say Kimi achieves it, maybe for his total no-bullshit attitude. On the other hand James Hunt was very charismatic for being totally the opposite. Interestingly Kimi's favourite driver is Hunt...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm
Posts: 1420
shoot999 wrote:
he's box office.


To whom?

Outside of Formula One and Britain, Hamilton is not well known. Or appreciated.

_________________
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16553
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
he's box office.


To whom?

Outside of Formula One and Britain, Hamilton is not well known. Or appreciated.


Really? Surely he's comfortably the most well known F1 driver in the world? He regularly appears on American chat shows. Do any of the others?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:39 pm 
Online

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33538
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
he's box office.


To whom?

Outside of Formula One and Britain, Hamilton is not well known. Or appreciated.

Which is immaterial anyway in how it relates to this thread and whether Hamilton should be knighted or not.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 3079
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
he's box office.


To whom?

Outside of Formula One and Britain, Hamilton is not well known. Or appreciated.


Yes, you are right. All those companies are throwing millions at him ($8 million dollars in the case of Hilfiger) to sell a few odds and ends to British F1 fans. You would think these major companies; and international magazines that have him on the front cover on a regular basis, would know better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 3320
Location: UK
shoot999 wrote:
j man wrote:
tim3003 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

TBF Andy Murray is hardly overflowing with charisma and it hasn't seemed to hold him back.

Personally I'd rather sportsmen not be honoured at all until retirement but seeing as they are Hamilton's MBE is a huge outlier given that he could argue he is Britain's most successful ever sportsman in a major, global sport.


Agreed on both counts. Successful sports stars can be pretty dull and unimaginative characters. These traits often go with the single-minded focus and nervelessness under pressure needed to get to the top. Hamilton is unusual in that he has a life and public persona outside F1 - he even poses as a model for advertising photos, so how he can be said to lack charisma is beyond me..

To me, lacking charisma does not necessarily imply a shy or introverted character. Charisma is about being able to inspire and connect with a crowd and Lewis is routinely poor at this. He fluffs his sentences, often makes poor word choices and relies heavily on bland, vacuous clichés ("Still we rise, guys"). Now this doesn't bother me personally as his driving does plenty of talking for him, but my point was that those who don't regularly tune in to watch all the races are not going to find Lewis a particularly inspiring or engaging character.

I cannot think of many people I know who don't like motorsport but do like Lewis Hamilton. Button, Hill and Mansell never had this problem.



Its 'Still I Rise'; and anyone who doesn't see what it means to him; and people like him, is simply not paying attention.

So Hilfiger and the others give him millions a year not to inspire others to buy into what he's advertising? The numerous charities don't use him to inspire others to dip into their pockets? And you think the 17 million or so on his social media are all F1 fans; because he can't connect with anyone outside of F1? You think when Prince Harry tried to get Invictus off the ground they turned to Hamilton to act as First Ambassador because of his lack of charisma and inability to inspire? And it seems the people who are paid to know these things value his Instagram commercial posts at $40,000. I think the nearest other F1 driver is valued at $3,000.

I think you will find its his lack of polish and PR shine that gives him his value.

Whether people like him or not, both Bernie and Liberty are quite open about Hamilton; he's box office.

Large sponsorship contracts and a strong social media presence do not necessarily equate to strong engagement with the general public, and I can think of many preening, egotistical footballers who fit this category. In fact it is often counter-productive; many would see a willingness to give up one's private life in exchange for money and fame as a sign of narcissism and in the UK we like our heroes to show a bit of humility.

On the charisma point, there is much more to this than posing for photographs, writing stuff on social media or reading a script of corporate drivel. Or even jumping into a crowd of fans who were singing your name anyway. I'm talking about being able to address a crowd of people and be likeable, witty and engaging. In my opinion, based on watching Lewis do this on many occasions and comparing him to his peers, it just does not come naturally to him. Compare and contrast him to Vettel or Button and you'll see what I mean. I believe that it is primarily because of this that across the UK as a whole Lewis is rather a divisive figure, and much more so than other sports stars who are awarded knighthoods.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 3079
j man wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
j man wrote:
tim3003 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

TBF Andy Murray is hardly overflowing with charisma and it hasn't seemed to hold him back.

Personally I'd rather sportsmen not be honoured at all until retirement but seeing as they are Hamilton's MBE is a huge outlier given that he could argue he is Britain's most successful ever sportsman in a major, global sport.


Agreed on both counts. Successful sports stars can be pretty dull and unimaginative characters. These traits often go with the single-minded focus and nervelessness under pressure needed to get to the top. Hamilton is unusual in that he has a life and public persona outside F1 - he even poses as a model for advertising photos, so how he can be said to lack charisma is beyond me..

To me, lacking charisma does not necessarily imply a shy or introverted character. Charisma is about being able to inspire and connect with a crowd and Lewis is routinely poor at this. He fluffs his sentences, often makes poor word choices and relies heavily on bland, vacuous clichés ("Still we rise, guys"). Now this doesn't bother me personally as his driving does plenty of talking for him, but my point was that those who don't regularly tune in to watch all the races are not going to find Lewis a particularly inspiring or engaging character.

I cannot think of many people I know who don't like motorsport but do like Lewis Hamilton. Button, Hill and Mansell never had this problem.



Its 'Still I Rise'; and anyone who doesn't see what it means to him; and people like him, is simply not paying attention.

So Hilfiger and the others give him millions a year not to inspire others to buy into what he's advertising? The numerous charities don't use him to inspire others to dip into their pockets? And you think the 17 million or so on his social media are all F1 fans; because he can't connect with anyone outside of F1? You think when Prince Harry tried to get Invictus off the ground they turned to Hamilton to act as First Ambassador because of his lack of charisma and inability to inspire? And it seems the people who are paid to know these things value his Instagram commercial posts at $40,000. I think the nearest other F1 driver is valued at $3,000.

I think you will find its his lack of polish and PR shine that gives him his value.

Whether people like him or not, both Bernie and Liberty are quite open about Hamilton; he's box office.

Large sponsorship contracts and a strong social media presence do not necessarily equate to strong engagement with the general public, and I can think of many preening, egotistical footballers who fit this category. In fact it is often counter-productive; many would see a willingness to give up one's private life in exchange for money and fame as a sign of narcissism and in the UK we like our heroes to show a bit of humility.

On the charisma point, there is much more to this than posing for photographs, writing stuff on social media or reading a script of corporate drivel. Or even jumping into a crowd of fans who were singing your name anyway. I'm talking about being able to address a crowd of people and be likeable, witty and engaging. In my opinion, based on watching Lewis do this on many occasions and comparing him to his peers, it just does not come naturally to him. Compare and contrast him to Vettel or Button and you'll see what I mean. I believe that it is primarily because of this that across the UK as a whole Lewis is rather a divisive figure, and much more so than other sports stars who are awarded knighthoods.


So even though Hamilton regularly addresses large bodies such as the International Teacher of the Year and other major forums, you discount that; and all the other evidence, because you personally don't find him engaging.

Basically whatever evidence is presented to you, you discount as it doesn't fit your narrative.

And what's this 'we in the UK'? I and expect many others in the UK don't buy into your Daily Mail drivel.


Last edited by shoot999 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4408
IMO, when he started in F1, I really didn't warm to him. He seemed arrogant. Of course, when you're picked up so young by a top F1 team and make it to F1 with them so young, it's hardly a surprise.

Things change though and I find him very nice to listen to on TV. Of course, his radio communications are painful at times, but that's his racing, not his day to day personality I'd assume.

Whilst he's great to watch on track, I think he could be brilliant as a pundit in the years to come.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sir Lewis Hamilton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 3320
Location: UK
shoot999 wrote:
j man wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
j man wrote:
tim3003 wrote:
Agreed on both counts. Successful sports stars can be pretty dull and unimaginative characters. These traits often go with the single-minded focus and nervelessness under pressure needed to get to the top. Hamilton is unusual in that he has a life and public persona outside F1 - he even poses as a model for advertising photos, so how he can be said to lack charisma is beyond me..

To me, lacking charisma does not necessarily imply a shy or introverted character. Charisma is about being able to inspire and connect with a crowd and Lewis is routinely poor at this. He fluffs his sentences, often makes poor word choices and relies heavily on bland, vacuous clichés ("Still we rise, guys"). Now this doesn't bother me personally as his driving does plenty of talking for him, but my point was that those who don't regularly tune in to watch all the races are not going to find Lewis a particularly inspiring or engaging character.

I cannot think of many people I know who don't like motorsport but do like Lewis Hamilton. Button, Hill and Mansell never had this problem.



Its 'Still I Rise'; and anyone who doesn't see what it means to him; and people like him, is simply not paying attention.

So Hilfiger and the others give him millions a year not to inspire others to buy into what he's advertising? The numerous charities don't use him to inspire others to dip into their pockets? And you think the 17 million or so on his social media are all F1 fans; because he can't connect with anyone outside of F1? You think when Prince Harry tried to get Invictus off the ground they turned to Hamilton to act as First Ambassador because of his lack of charisma and inability to inspire? And it seems the people who are paid to know these things value his Instagram commercial posts at $40,000. I think the nearest other F1 driver is valued at $3,000.

I think you will find its his lack of polish and PR shine that gives him his value.

Whether people like him or not, both Bernie and Liberty are quite open about Hamilton; he's box office.

Large sponsorship contracts and a strong social media presence do not necessarily equate to strong engagement with the general public, and I can think of many preening, egotistical footballers who fit this category. In fact it is often counter-productive; many would see a willingness to give up one's private life in exchange for money and fame as a sign of narcissism and in the UK we like our heroes to show a bit of humility.

On the charisma point, there is much more to this than posing for photographs, writing stuff on social media or reading a script of corporate drivel. Or even jumping into a crowd of fans who were singing your name anyway. I'm talking about being able to address a crowd of people and be likeable, witty and engaging. In my opinion, based on watching Lewis do this on many occasions and comparing him to his peers, it just does not come naturally to him. Compare and contrast him to Vettel or Button and you'll see what I mean. I believe that it is primarily because of this that across the UK as a whole Lewis is rather a divisive figure, and much more so than other sports stars who are awarded knighthoods.


So even though Hamilton regularly addresses large bodies such as the International Teacher of the Year and other major forums, you discount that; and all the other evidence, because you personally don't find him engaging.

Basically whatever evidence is presented to you, you discount as it doesn't fit your narrative.

And what's this 'we in the UK'? I and expect many others in the UK don't buy into your Daily Mail drivel.

Daily Mail drivel? Not sure what you're getting at with that one?

Anyway personally I admire Lewis greatly, I would've hoped that was clear enough in my first post on this thread. All I'm saying is that the UK public as a whole haven't warmed to him as much as our other successful sportspeople which I put down to him not being a particularly engaging personality, an opinion I have formed from watching him give countless interviews and address race-day crowds over the past 13 years. Hence the lack of knighthood despite his achievements surpassing numerous sportspeople who have been awarded one.

Anyway I'll leave it at that as this has clearly upset you for some reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pokerman and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group