All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:22 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
And yet race threads get locked within a week or so :lol:

So whats that go to do with this thread?

Not a lot. I just find it odd that threads about the races, the entire reason everyone watches F1, get locked within a week, whereas a thread discussing the various bias of people nobody knows, but infer from the tiny amount of time we see and hear them on TV, is still going strong.

I think there was around 6 posts during the entire hour of quali, probably the second reason we all watch F1, which is perhaps a sad reflection of the forum at present.

Couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:53 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Not a lot. I just find it odd that threads about the races, the entire reason everyone watches F1, get locked within a week, whereas a thread discussing the various bias of people nobody knows, but infer from the tiny amount of time we see and hear them on TV, is still going strong.

I think there was around 6 posts during the entire hour of quali, probably the second reason we all watch F1, which is perhaps a sad reflection of the forum at present.

The cult of personality I'm afraid.

Not sure I would point the finger too much at the forum for lack of comments during qually, etc. I see that issue being more to do with how F1 is broadcast. I remember during C4s last year of live broadcast figures of 1.5 million just to watch FP3; and now Sky is lucky to get 400,000 watching an end of season race. I wonder what %age of regular forumers actually get to watch F1 live, rather than having to wait for C4 or other recorded streams?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:59 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Not sure I would point the finger too much at the forum for lack of comments during qually, etc. I see that issue being more to do with how F1 is broadcast. I remember during C4s last year of live broadcast figures of 1.5 million just to watch FP3; and now Sky is lucky to get 400,000 watching an end of season race. I wonder what %age of regular forumers actually get to watch F1 live, rather than having to wait for C4 or other recorded streams?

Not to mention that quite a few of us were actually at this race and thus not on the forum at the time. I was also banned at the time for reasons that I found baffling and I think others may have been too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:01 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

People are busy watching qualifying so they aren't able to post. I never come on here during actual sessions. This place is for F1 discussion in and around the events, not during them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:42 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
Di Resta, Button, Brundle, Stewart, Irvine, the list goes on and on.

Di Resta, Brundle, Stewart, Irvine I get for various reasons, intolerance, ignorance and jealousy being probably but Button I really don't understand I've seen and read a lot of respect from Button for Hamilton have you got the opposite opinion to support that view?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:01 am 

So, if I have read this correctly, we have two pages of discussion as to whether Paul di Resta heaped enough praise on Lewis? Even though it has been accepted that diResta was quite decent in his praise of Lewis after the clinching, we are to ignore that and go back further where, perhaps, he wasn't generous ENOUGH in some people's mind, therefore claiming he prejudiced against Hamilton?

Two questions:
1. Am I interpreting the nature of the thread wrong?
2. Why is so upsetting to some that one, of a broadcast team of several, Is not an enthusiastic supporter of Lewis?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:08 am 

Blake wrote:
So, if I have read this correctly, we have two pages of discussion as to whether Paul di Resta heaped enough praise on Lewis? Even though it has been accepted that diResta was quite decent in his praise of Lewis after the clinching, we are to ignore that and go back further where, perhaps, he wasn't generous ENOUGH in some people's mind, therefore claiming he prejudiced against Hamilton?

Two questions:
2. Why is so upsetting to some that one, of a broadcast team of several, Is not an enthusiastic supporter of Lewis?

Is there even one person in this thread who actually seems to be upset?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:33 am 

pokerman wrote:
Invade wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I've just looked it up and being biased toward someone means you are favouring them, it also says this is often used wrongly when people actually mean biased against.

Well I didn't know that. I just took the words as individual entities.

Well grammar wouldn't be a strong point for myself, I had to look it up.

Grammar doesn't always get it right either. In fact even granpar can get it wrong.

I would not take 'looked it up' as a universal answer either.... but with the origin of the word bias also having a literal meaning somewhat like a directly of tilt of something physically, bias towards should mean 'leaning towards', so in this case i would technically agree.

In fact I took the original post as suggesting that bias in favour of Hamilton could be the result of trying to avoid the bias against, or a perception of bias against.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:19 am 

Blake wrote:

Two questions:

Sums up this forum actually. When the Hamilton supporters can't find any real criticism toward Hamilton, they try to find someone who isn't giving enough praise.

Funny that there are 20 drivers on the grid yet Hamilton's praise levels are the only ones that are being scrutineered.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:05 am 

Not sure that is correct actually. Whether intended or not the thread is examining how some people in the media are reacting to Hamilton. He is different to other drivers, has a different background, ethnicity and interests. In a way it is asking if there is prejudice surrounding Hamilton or in ex drivers case jealousy. Nothing wrong with that.
The media can influence opinion, this site included.

I do think that whatever is posted needs to be correct and factual though, that's why I questioned Covalent's post above. We need to be careful to only discuss what has actually been said.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:29 am 

Blake wrote:

Two questions:

You seem to have read it incorrectly. On a number of forums, not this one, some with the likes of F1 accredited jounos, ex team members and team managers as regular participants, there has been a general theme and understanding that de Resta doesn't like Hamilton.
I noticed it first on Mixed Apex, but it seemed a long running issue so no explanation was given as to what was behind it. I think the OP was asking does anyone know anymore.
For some reason there is someone on here who doesnt accept that and believes its 'Hamilton fans' protecting their boy. I'm not sure what evidence he is presenting; other than his usual mantra that all 'Hamilton fans' are the same.
As for de Resta as someone else pointed out their was/is? bad blood between Paul and Hamilton senior. So there maybe a bit of awkwardness there?
The good news is its easy to check out, just listen to Paul and croft doing the practice sessions. The bad news is if you want to check it out you have to listen to croft and Paul doing the practice sessions! For the first time for a long time I gave the practice sessions a go, and if I were new to the sport my impression would be that the pair of them have very little interest in F1, don't understand whats happening most of the time, and have a tendency to be negative about all aspects of F1. Which is probably why I never watch FP with sound, or watch the post and pre shows.
I don't see anyone getting upset.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:35 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
Not sure that is correct actually. Whether intended or not the thread is examining how some people in the media are reacting to Hamilton. He is different to other drivers, has a different background, ethnicity and interests. In a way it is asking if there is prejudice surrounding Hamilton or in ex drivers case jealousy. Nothing wrong with that.
The media can influence opinion, this site included.

I do think that whatever is posted needs to be correct and factual though, that's why I questioned Covalent's post above. We need to be careful to only discuss what has actually been said.

What I said is more of an general observation of the forum, and a personal one at that so of course it may just be me.

Appreciate your calm and rational way of expressing yourself BTW :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:39 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Di Resta, Brundle, Stewart, Irvine I get for various reasons, intolerance, ignorance and jealousy being probably but Button I really don't understand I've seen and read a lot of respect from Button for Hamilton have you got the opposite opinion to support that view?

Yes, that one surprises me. During the period when the Hamilton racism was at its height there were a few who stood up against it, the Buttons being one such family. And I believe the only time Ham has turned up in recent years at the Autosport Awards was to lead the eulogy for John.
I think you have to be careful in separating those who believe they are offering genuine and justifiable criticism towards Hamilton, and those who clearly have a problem with him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:50 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

I've actually stopped posting during the race threads because it can distract me from watching the race itself.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:54 pm 

Blake wrote:

Two questions:

That seems to be your version of the thread, it's not about di Resta not heaping praise on Hamilton but the opposite saying negative things about Hamilton, that was my understanding anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:45 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:

Two questions:

That seems to be your version of the thread, it's not about di Resta not heaping praise on Hamilton but the opposite saying negative things about Hamilton, that was my understanding anyway?

what did Paul say that that was negative about Lewis that triggered this thread after the clinching?
:?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:53 pm 

Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:

Two questions:

what did Paul say that that was negative about Lewis that triggered this thread after the clinching?

I think you need to go an check when this thread appeared...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:14 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

People are busy watching qualifying so they aren't able to post. I never come on here during actual sessions. This place is for F1 discussion in and around the events, not during them.

They may be busy and there's nout wrong with that. I just remember race weekends, especially ones where the title could be won, being frantically busy on here. It was merely an observation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:22 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

They may be busy and there's nout wrong with that. I just remember race weekends, especially ones where the title could be won, being frantically busy on here. It was merely an observation.

Forums everywhere are well past their peak. This is the only forum I was using a decade ago that is still alive. People use Reddit now or just comment on social media.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:47 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:

Forums everywhere are well past their peak. This is the only forum I was using a decade ago that is still alive. People use Reddit now or just comment on social media.

This isn't the most dead F1 forum, but there are several which generate far more traffic than this one, going by the regularity of posts at least, and that's not including Reddit. This place does feel pretty dead to me at the moment and Reddit (and Discord even) are taking over.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:53 pm 

Invade wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

This isn't the most dead F1 forum, but there are several which generate far more traffic than this one, going by the regularity of posts at least, and that's not including Reddit. This place does feel pretty dead to me at the moment and Reddit (and Discord even) are taking over.

I think we're doing better than most. 13 active threads today. A lot of very popular forums a month ago don't get that a month anymore. I'm talking forums in general not just F1 forums.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:58 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Invade wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I think we're doing better than most. 13 active threads today. A lot of very popular forums a month ago don't get that a month anymore. I'm talking forums in general not just F1 forums.

Yes I believe it's top 4 or 3 for F1 forums from my experience regarding traffic. I do wish it was a little more active but clearly I'm still here. We've lost a couple of stalwarts this year though... or they are on one hell of a vacation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:01 pm 

Herb wrote:
Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:

Two questions:

Noted... Thank you.

So I revise my question: what did diResta say that was so negative?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:33 pm 

Blake wrote:
Herb wrote:
Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:

Two questions:

Noted... Thank you.

So I revise my question: what did diResta say that was so negative?

As you're original reply was to me I don't personally know and it wouldn't have been one thing, it's been flagged up by quite a few people so it has to be several things that have been said and then I guess an impression can be made that di Resta maybe doesn't like Hamilton?

After the race di Resta couldn't have been more complimentary of Hamilton so who's too really know?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:23 pm 

Does he have to like him?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:18 pm 

Covalent wrote:

I wouldn't have thought so. But what do you think? And does it matter? Some people don't like Max, or Toto, or croft (yea I now, hard to believe) and we have threads on that. Is this one any different?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:10 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Yes, that one surprises me.

Put me in as a +1. I've never had the impression that Button has a negative opinion of Hamilton - quite the opposite.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:17 pm 

Invade wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Reddit has jumped the shark for the serious F1 fan. That's why I still come here - there are enough truly knowledgeable people here to have in-depth discussion. r/formula1 has been taken over by Americans who saw Drive to Survive and the quality of discussion has taken a nosedive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:51 pm 

Covalent wrote:

No, but if a presenter shows a dislike for someone then it's not alright to flag it up?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:31 am 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

No, but if a presenter shows a dislike for someone then it's not alright to flag it up?

As long as it is alright to "flag up" the presenters who are overly PRO someone. It works both ways...Or should. Personally, I have yet to see those diResta attacks on Lewis though.
;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:57 am 

Covalent wrote:
Blake wrote:

Two questions:

Sums up this forum actually. When the Hamilton supporters can't find any real criticism toward Hamilton, they try to find someone who isn't giving enough praise.

Funny that there are 20 drivers on the grid yet Hamilton's praise levels are the only ones that are being scrutineered.

Try giving an attaboy to Carlos Sainz Jr. People come out of the woodwork to bust your chops.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:12 pm 

Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

As long as it is alright to "flag up" the presenters who are overly PRO someone. It works both ways...Or should. Personally, I have yet to see those diResta attacks on Lewis though.
;)

Of course it works both ways and you personally have not been slow to flag up any bias towards Hamilton.

Interesting that you've not noticed any negative bias against Hamilton while quite a few have, maybe it comes down a bit to people being triggered by different things with people either being over sensitive who are pro Hamilton and people being over sensitive who would not be a fan, like a Hamilton fan would not necessarily notice bias towards Hamilton because they would probably be nodding in agreement?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

This is the truth of it. Using old-school forums is just not a thing anymore. It actually dates us lol.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:49 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

;)

Of course it works both ways and you personally have not been slow to flag up any bias towards Hamilton.

Interesting that you've not noticed any negative bias against Hamilton while quite a few have, maybe it comes down a bit to people being triggered by different things with people either being over sensitive who are pro Hamilton and people being over sensitive who would not be a fan, like a Hamilton fan would not necessarily notice bias towards Hamilton because they would probably be nodding in agreement?

:thumbup:
I think that is a very fair assessment, poker. Good post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:52 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Blake wrote:

Two questions:

Try giving an attaboy to Carlos Sainz Jr. People come out of the woodwork to bust your chops.

Or Nico Hulkenberg.

There's no problem with it, just people expressing their different opinions. This place would be terribly dull if we all held the same viewpoint. It is one of the intriguing aspects of F1 that there are many factors other than driver talent that decide the end result, and this inherently invites debate and disagreement. Can you imagine one of these sorts of threads on, say, a tennis forum?

Poster 1: "Roger Federer is the greatest of all time!"
Poster 2: "Yes, I agree"
End thread.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:21 pm 

j man wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Blake wrote:

Two questions:

Or Nico Hulkenberg.

There's no problem with it, just people expressing their different opinions. This place would be terribly dull if we all held the same viewpoint. It is one of the intriguing aspects of F1 that there are many factors other than driver talent that decide the end result, and this inherently invites debate and disagreement. Can you imagine one of these sorts of threads on, say, a tennis forum?

End thread.

I take it you don't much visit tennis forums. Possibly the fiercest forums currently regarding GOAT debates with Federer on 20, Nadal on 19 (and winning H2H vs Federer) and Djokovic on 16 Slams, with it looking a good bet that both will surpass Federer in the Slam tally when all is said and done. Tennis forums are an absolute bloodbath right now and have been for ages. The tennis layman assumes Federer is obviously the GOAT because he's a media darling and the household name but in terms of achievements the battle between "The Big Three" rages on and there are brutal debates about whether Federer is the best of this Big Three era, never mind all-time. There's a huge disconnect between the casual tennis fan and those who like the sport enough to frequently watch it and visit forums.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:07 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Blake wrote:

Two questions:

Well I happen to support e.g Kimi and Vettel and I know how critical some people can be of those but you don't hear me complaining about it. No one can be liked by everyone and I'm totally fine with it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:20 pm 

Invade wrote:
j man wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Blake wrote:

Two questions:

Or Nico Hulkenberg.

End thread.

I take it you don't much visit tennis forums. Possibly the fiercest forums currently regarding GOAT debates with Federer on 20, Nadal on 19 (and winning H2H vs Federer) and Djokovic on 16 Slams, with it looking a good bet that both will surpass Federer in the Slam tally when all is said and done. Tennis forums are an absolute bloodbath right now and have been for ages. The tennis layman assumes Federer is obviously the GOAT because he's a media darling and the household name but in terms of achievements the battle between "The Big Three" rages on and there are brutal debates about whether Federer is the best of this Big Three era, never mind all-time. There's a huge disconnect between the casual tennis fan and those who like the sport enough to frequently watch it and visit forums.

Fair enough. No I am not a tennis fan, I am just going by what I hear from those who are.

Anyway, off topic.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:45 pm 

Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

;)

:thumbup:
I think that is a very fair assessment, poker. Good post.

Cheers. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:53 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Blake wrote:

Two questions:

Well I happen to support e.g Kimi and Vettel and I know how critical some people can be of those but you don't hear me complaining about it. No one can be liked by everyone and I'm totally fine with it.

That's not quite the same though if it's a factual criticism, you don't have to dislike someone to criticise them and who would dislike someone like Kimi, I daresay that Vettel is not someone who would garner dislike either?