16. Kevin Magnussen 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
17. Nico Hulkenberg 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
18. Daniel Ricciardo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
19. Kimi Raikkonen 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
20. Antonio Giovinazzi 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 140
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:10 pm 

DOTD
1. Lewis Hamilton for hanging with Team Red for the first 28 laps on tires that were supposed to be .6sec a lap slower than the softs.

2. Alex Albon for an excellent drive from 19th to 5th place.

3. Carlos Sainz Jr. putting in another "Best of the Rest" drive in the McLaren. Continues at the top driver in points who is not a Merc/Ferrari/RBR driver.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:51 pm 

I went with Hamilton, Vettel and Sainz. Lewis executed a near flawless race and did what he had to do to win. Seb was the guy who looked fastest on the day and I think whatever agreement was in place before the race was something clearly not in his favor. There was no way he wasn't going to get by Hamilton at the start there and passing Charles with that much slipstream was almost a given too. I thought Sebastian was having his best race of the season before that failure. Sainz was brilliant again today and you have to acknowledge now that this is a truly fine season for the Spaniard. He has been consistently good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:13 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
j man wrote:
Vettel. Had the best race pace and would've won the race if not for the mechanical failure and Ferrari's shenanigans with the pitstops.

Not sure about the votes for Albon, he struggled to make his way through the midfield and his end result owed much to the VSC. Similar for Hamilton, although he at least showed some good pace to keep up with the Ferraris in the first stint.

Got to agree about albon. He did a good job in the race, but nothing special for the cars ability. And he was the reason he started at the back. I bet if he had started in a more realistic position, he would have got very few or no votes despite it effectively being a better weekend. It is similar to when Verstappen starts at the back, that red bull is probably the easiest car to follow other cars and overtake with so long as it has more pace that those ahead.

Albon did what he needed to, but his first half of the race was not impressive and the safety car really helped him.

I think Vettel and Sainz are the main two I would go for. but i am thinking about Hamilton too because he seemed to have really good pace and the way he helped Bottas keep ahead of Leclerc when Leclerc had the best chance to get by was really good team work.

Albon is a great racer though. His raw pace is not that impressive yet, but his overtaking ability is much better than Kvyat or Gasly. He just needs to understand the Redbull car better, but again the guy has got tremendous race craft.

I'm not sure. Kvyat has impressed me with his moves more than Albon this year. They both look impressive though. But Albon now has a car that is easier to do so in. And today that was because it was down to his crash that allowed him to do these moves. Not taking it away from him, he certainly looks good, but i though that when he was with Kvyat, it was Kvyat that overall looked better. The fight in Hungary was really good and Kvyat won that long battle side by side.

To each their own I guess. Kvyat did not get the torpedo nickname for nothing. He quite often messes up his overtaking maneuvers and damages his/other cars in the process. I have seen no such thing from Albon. He almost always puts the car in the right place and his moves often look very skillful and show some creativity. To me it's not even close, Albon is the much better racer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:22 am 

kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
j man wrote:
Vettel. Had the best race pace and would've won the race if not for the mechanical failure and Ferrari's shenanigans with the pitstops.

Not sure about the votes for Albon, he struggled to make his way through the midfield and his end result owed much to the VSC. Similar for Hamilton, although he at least showed some good pace to keep up with the Ferraris in the first stint.

Got to agree about albon. He did a good job in the race, but nothing special for the cars ability. And he was the reason he started at the back. I bet if he had started in a more realistic position, he would have got very few or no votes despite it effectively being a better weekend. It is similar to when Verstappen starts at the back, that red bull is probably the easiest car to follow other cars and overtake with so long as it has more pace that those ahead.

Albon did what he needed to, but his first half of the race was not impressive and the safety car really helped him.

I think Vettel and Sainz are the main two I would go for. but i am thinking about Hamilton too because he seemed to have really good pace and the way he helped Bottas keep ahead of Leclerc when Leclerc had the best chance to get by was really good team work.

Albon is a great racer though. His raw pace is not that impressive yet, but his overtaking ability is much better than Kvyat or Gasly. He just needs to understand the Redbull car better, but again the guy has got tremendous race craft.

I'm not sure. Kvyat has impressed me with his moves more than Albon this year. They both look impressive though. But Albon now has a car that is easier to do so in. And today that was because it was down to his crash that allowed him to do these moves. Not taking it away from him, he certainly looks good, but i though that when he was with Kvyat, it was Kvyat that overall looked better. The fight in Hungary was really good and Kvyat won that long battle side by side.

To each their own I guess. Kvyat did not get the torpedo nickname for nothing. He quite often messes up his overtaking maneuvers and damages his/other cars in the process. I have seen no such thing from Albon. He almost always puts the car in the right place and his moves often look very skillful and show some creativity. To me it's not even close, Albon is the much better racer.

I haven't seen that from Kvyat this year though. Kvyat seems like a different driver now. His mistake in china was incredibly unfortunate and could have happened to any driver in his position. I think the very harsh penalty was based on his past. I have seen then go side by side a lot in the Toro Rosso and they both looked better then leclerc and Vettel at the time as they kept it clean, but Kvyat usually was the one that got ahead when doing these moves. I haven't see Albon get by Kvyat as often. You can give him more credit i suppose for being a rookie, but i certainly can't say he's been better than Kvyat this year. But that is just my view.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:02 am 

Not getting the Vettel votes at all - outqualified by his teammate (again) and a Mercedes, gets literally gifted a tow at the first corner, laps in clean air, refuses to follow a team order, then retires. Amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:17 am 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Not getting the Vettel votes at all - outqualified by his teammate (again) and a Mercedes, gets literally gifted a tow at the first corner, laps in clean air, refuses to follow a team order, then retires. Amazing.

But this is DOTD not driver of the weekend, so in light of that he took the lead, passing arguably the two best/fastest drivers on the track, only to retire through no fault of his own. The team order is not something that I would put as a negative for him; in fact his team mate wasn't fast enough to catch him. Not bad for a "has been" really. Now was this enough to earn him the DOTD? Not sure for me, someone that did not finish the race can't really be judged for the whole distance, so I'll give this to CL.

Edit - I meant the inter-team battle for the last sentence. I didn't vote CL for DOTD.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:36 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:

But this is DOTD not driver of the weekend, so in light of that he took the lead, passing arguably the two best/fastest drivers on the track, only to retire through no fault of his own. The team order is not something that I would put as a negative for him; in fact his team mate wasn't fast enough to catch him. Not bad for a "has been" really. Now was this enough to earn him the DOTD? Not sure for me, someone that did not finish the race can't really be judged for the whole distance, so I'll give this to CL.

Edit - I meant the inter-team battle for the last sentence. I didn't vote CL for DOTD.

Yeah OK re the weekend vs the day, but my point was that all he really did was post some quick laps after being gifted what was effectively head start. Plus it's possible Leclerc wasn't pushing that hard as he he "knew" he would be getting the place back anyway.

So what did he actually do that merits driver of the day? Yes he passed the two fastest drivers, but only via an admittedly well executed set piece.

Not "down" on Vettel, just trying to see where the praise is coming from. And I can't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:21 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:

Yeah OK re the weekend vs the day, but my point was that all he really did was post some quick laps after being gifted what was effectively head start. Plus it's possible Leclerc wasn't pushing that hard as he he "knew" he would be getting the place back anyway.

So what did he actually do that merits driver of the day? Yes he passed the two fastest drivers, but only via an admittedly well executed set piece.

Not "down" on Vettel, just trying to see where the praise is coming from. And I can't.

Not sure if Leclerc was taking it easy, not with Hamilton of all people breathing on his neck.

And I am not sure I'm following, why are you saying that the start was not down to Vettel? Starts are part of their skills, who deserves praise for a well executed start?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:15 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
I haven't seen that from Kvyat this year though. Kvyat seems like a different driver now. His mistake in china was incredibly unfortunate and could have happened to any driver in his position. I think the very harsh penalty was based on his past. I have seen then go side by side a lot in the Toro Rosso and they both looked better then leclerc and Vettel at the time as they kept it clean, but Kvyat usually was the one that got ahead when doing these moves. I haven't see Albon get by Kvyat as often. You can give him more credit i suppose for being a rookie, but i certainly can't say he's been better than Kvyat this year. But that is just my view.

Kvyat just pulled one of his torpedo moves on Raikonnen in Singapore mate. Anyway, yeah we disagree on that one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:32 pm 

I don't really rate Kvyat but I always thought the torpedo moniker is totally unfair. Something Vettel called him after Kvyat completely legitimately overtook him at the start in China 2016.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:08 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
And I am not sure I'm following, why are you saying that the start was not down to Vettel? Starts are part of their skills, who deserves praise for a well executed start?

Vettel had a good start but clearly the 3rd to 1st was courtesy of Leclerc/Ferrari so I don't think he should get the majority of the credit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:49 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Vettel had a good start but clearly the 3rd to 1st was courtesy of Leclerc/Ferrari so I don't think he should get the majority of the credit.

If leclerc had defended this inside as is natural (is when not performing a team maneouver) then vettel would have been in second or.maybe third depending on the power of lewis' tow from leclerc, you can't get around the outside of turn 2 there for obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:42 am 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

That's a fair comment, but he still passed Hamilton and made it stick, so it's not totally fair to say that everything was gifted to him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:32 am 

Siao7 wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

That's a fair comment, but he still passed Hamilton and made it stick, so it's not totally fair to say that everything was gifted to him.

Sure, but watching the start , his pass on Hamilton was mosrtly due to the tow Leclerc was giving him. That was the intention

Binotto:

"We agreed together that the best way was not to give any slipstream to Hamilton first, because giving a slipstream to Hamilton would have given him some advantage, or at least some possibility, and therefore Charles would have given the slipstream to Seb.

"That was what we agreed, and discussed - [that] by giving the slipstream to Seb and not defending the position would have given an advantage to Seb, which later on in the race we would give back [to Leclerc] by swapping the cars. So that was the deal.

"Obviously looking at the video, looking at the start, the start went as planned"

So I take that as they both got off the line well, Leclerc stayed where he was to give Vettel a tow past Hamilton.