planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Which driver will win the Haas PF1 TMW vote in 2019?
Poll ended at Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:24 pm
Kevin Magnussen 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Romain Grosjean 83%  83%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:24 pm 

Haas are something of a rarity heading into the 2019 season, as they are one of just two teams to boast an unchanged driver lineup. For the third year in a row it'll be Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen racing for America's solitary F1 team. This means that we can actually look at how they've performed relative to each other, rather than speculating about what might happen!

In 2017, it was Romain Grosjean who scored the majority of the team's points, picking up 28 to Kevin Magnussen's 19. Grosjean had eight points finishes whilst Magnussen only managed five, with the Frenchman claiming the team's best finish for the season (6th in Austria). According to RaceFans' statistics, Magnussen suffered twice as many technical retirements as Grosjean (four vs two) whilst the qualifying battle favoured Grosjean, who beat Magnussen on 12 occasions.

In 2018 the roles were reversed. KMag claimed the lion's share of the team's points (56 to 37) and finished more races in the points (11 against seven). It was Grosjean who again had the best individual result, finishing a single place off the podium by collecting a 4th place finish in Austria (apparently Haas and Grosjean love that track!). Grosjean again had the advantage on Saturday, this time out-qualifying his fiesty teammate 11 times. There was also improved reliability for Romain as he only suffered one technical DNF compared to Magnussen's two, although both lost out on a potentially large number of points in Australia. And for what it's worth, the TMW score was 12-9 in Magnussen's favour, with the Dane taking nearly two-thirds (64%) of the vote across the season.

So what does this tell us? It would suggest that they're pretty evenly matched, actually. Grosjean seems to do the better job in quali, albeit not exactly dominating in either year. Over the two seasons as teammates they've had almost the same number of points finishes (16 to 15 in Magnussen's favour) and the points split is a pretty similar story as well (75 vs 65, again favouring Magnussen). Both had ups and downs in 2018. About the only prediction that seems safe to make is that Romain Grosjean will inevitably score the team's best result of the year in Austria...! Given how rarely midfield teams keep the same driver pairing for more than three seasons (assuming neither misses a race, by the end of 2019 the Magnussen/Grosjean pairing will be joint 10th all-time in terms of races completed with the same teammate) it could be their last season together, and with neither too likely to move up the grid, you would think the driver who underperforms could find himself dropped with no guarantee of another F1 seat to follow. So there is a lot on the line for both Grosjean and Magnussen.

So what say you, PF1 Forum - which Haas driver will come out on top in 2019?

Completed Polls
McLaren: Carlos Sainz 73% - 27% Lando Norris
Racing Point Force India: Sergio Perez 87% - 13% Lance Stroll
Sauber: Kimi Raikkonen 88% - 12% Antonio Giovinazzi
Toro Rosso: Daniil Kvyat 60% - 40% Alex Albon
Williams: George Russell 75% - 25% Robert Kubica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:58 pm 

Grosjean's the better driver. If he can keep his head and not suffer a slump at any point in the year (something I'm not sure he's ever achieved over a complete season before) he should put Magnussen away pretty soundly.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:02 pm 

It's hard to expect anything other than more of the same. Grosjean will show excellent speed and boneheaded mistakes in equal measure, while Magnussen will go completely missing on some weekends and occasionally wind the other drivers up with over-zealous defensive manoeuvres. Overall I vote Magnussen to have the upper hand again, particularly if there are some wet races at which Grosjean would presumably score no points.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:34 pm 

IMO the most underrated driver pairing on the grid. Both are very fast drivers, among the best behind the top stars. However, both are also inconsistent. For a long while, I thought Magnussen finally can get a consistent season together but in the last quarter of the season, inconsistency was back.

Both make errors, but this is also somewhat overexagerated. I doubt that Magnussen made more mistakes than Perez, Hülkenberg or Sainz in 2018 (actually less) but that's an unpopular opinion because people have their prejudice.

Grosjean had an awful first half in 2018 but I do not think he will repeat this.

I go for Magnussen who IMO is still getting better - but it will be close.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:01 pm 

I've gone for Grosjean simply because I think that his 'A' game is better than Kevin's. This is one of the tougher ones to call on the grid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:38 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
IMO the most underrated driver pairing on the grid. Both are very fast drivers, among the best behind the top stars. However, both are also inconsistent. For a long while, I thought Magnussen finally can get a consistent season together but in the last quarter of the season, inconsistency was back.

Both make errors, but this is also somewhat overexagerated. I doubt that Magnussen made more mistakes than Perez, Hülkenberg or Sainz in 2018 (actually less) but that's an unpopular opinion because people have their prejudice.

Grosjean had an awful first half in 2018 but I do not think he will repeat this.

I go for Magnussen who IMO is still getting better - but it will be close.

I disagree. I think they are both overrated for IMO. Particularly Grosjean. That said I do think Grosjean will beat Magnussen in 2019. He's just the better driver.

Both drivers will have to up their game in 2019. They cost Haas one place in the WCC last year (really two if FI hadn't got their points deleted) they will need to do better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:56 pm 

j man wrote:
It's hard to expect anything other than more of the same. Grosjean will show excellent speed and boneheaded mistakes in equal measure, while Magnussen will go completely missing on some weekends and occasionally wind the other drivers up with over-zealous defensive manoeuvres. Overall I vote Magnussen to have the upper hand again, particularly if there are some wet races at which Grosjean would presumably score no points.

There's no point in me posting a fresh because I would just be repeating what you have said, the only difference being that I picked Grosjean, I've gone with the driver with the higher performance ceiling, at his best a top 10 driver but makes too many errors some of which are quite comical.

One of my least favourite pairings, they both come across as being boneheads.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)