planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Which of the 2019 drivers is the most underrated?
Bottas 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Leclerc 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Gasly 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Hulkenberg 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Magnussen 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Grosjean 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Sainz 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Perez 19%  19%  [ 11 ]
Stroll 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
Raikkonen 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 57
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:49 pm 

So with 19 of the 20 seats for next year officially confirmed - and Lance Stroll all but officially taking the remaining seat - I thought I'd ask the question of which driver racing in F1 next year you consider to be the most underrated?

For the sake of the poll I've excluded Hamilton/Verstappen/Vettel/Ricciardo. I don't think any of them could be considered underrated given they were generally thought of as, alongside Alonso, four of the best drivers on the grid. I've also excluded the four rookies and two returning drivers. Since they weren't racing in F1 this year it would be difficult to consider any of them underrated, given that they've not got any recent F1 performances on which to rate them in the first place. But I have included an 'other' option in the pole for anyone who decides they disagree with that strongly enough to want to pick one of those drivers...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:59 pm 

I think Leclerc also cannot be underrated, the hype around him now is so huge that next year he only can be find out as overrated (as many people picking him to beat Vettel).

from the rest... I think i will go with Hulk, I believe he has a good shot to beat Ricciardo next year which will make people think that he's better than they thought

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:18 pm 

Mayox wrote:
I think Leclerc also cannot be underrated, the hype around him now is so huge that next year he only can be find out as overrated (as many people picking him to beat Vettel).

from the rest... I think i will go with Hulk, I believe he has a good shot to beat Ricciardo next year which will make people think that he's better than they thought

I would agree with this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:31 pm 

Perez easily. No matter what he does people refuse to rate him above the likes of Hulkenberg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:37 pm 

Bottas - Overrated.
Gasly - Overrated.
Leclerc - We shall see.
Magnussen - about right
Grosjean - about right
Sainz - slightly overrated.
Perez - slightly underrated.
Stroll - about right. Nobody rates him
Raikkonen - Underrated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:13 pm 

Stroll.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:31 pm 

Perez for me. He is a serial podium finisher if he gets a sniff at it and the only Formula 1.5 driver to finish on the podium this season.

I think he is better than he gets the credit for.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:55 pm 

Perhaps Grosjean. He finished behing K-Mag in the points table, but in recent times when both have clean races it tends to be Grosjean who is ahead. I think he'll have a much stronger 2019.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:01 pm 

I'd agree with both the above (edit: I mean Lt Drebin and Junglist in that respect!). Perez has managed some headline results on more than one occasion. Stroll, despite some iffy performances, ran Massa close on points in 2017 (picking up a podium in the process) and has outscored a Torro Rosso (albeit people don't rate Hartley either!) in what has, frankly, beena dog of a car this year.
Coincidentally, these two are set to be teammates next year; Stroll have an improvement both in terms of car and yardstick. I hope that he does show his worth.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:26 pm 

I've always rated Hulkenberg and I think he'll give Ricciardo a real run for his money next season. Admittedly he does seem to have faded a little in the past couple of seasons with a few mistakes creeping in (turn 1 at Spa this season was an absolute howler) where he was once the model of consistency. Still, I rate him as champion material if he were ever given the opportunity: a Rosberg or Button level driver waiting patiently in the midfield.

Perez I think lacks consistency and is too often let down by his qualifying. He was outqualified 16-5 by Ocon this year.

I'm interested to see how Stroll does next year. He was well out of his depth when he arrived in F1 but I think that was due to inexperience and not being ready for the step up rather than a lack of raw talent as such. In 2019 we'll really see if he's up to standard, there can be no excuses of inexperience in year 3 and he has a good benchmark in Perez as a team mate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:28 pm 

Other: my countryman Stoffel Vandoorne.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:37 pm 

I'm going with Perez. Very good tyre management has been a great asset to him in this formula, and he tends to be at the sharper end of the 'B' race more often than not. Seems to still be suffering from having a bit of a wobbly one against Button, but has been matching, if not bettering the guy who is probably going to be sat in a Mercedes some time within the next 2 years, and fairly handily at that. Has a nice knack of stealing a podium or 2 when the chance does finally arrive, which is always a boost.

Can see Kimi having a strong year next year too, that Sauber is going to be tasty and Raikonnen will now be driving purely for the pleasure of it, rather than being saddled with all of the nonsense that being in a top team can bring.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:57 pm 

Other: Kvyat - has shown he can be a solid midfield driver, while most people here seems to think he doesn't deserve a place in F1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:48 pm 

Other. I think Vandoorne is the most underrated driver on the grid.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:38 pm 

Grosjean. Glad to see I'm the first to vote for him too, as I think often if lots and lots of people think a driver is underrated, that means they aren't really underrated :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:58 pm 

Fiki wrote:

Exediron wrote:

Not on the grid next year though, which is what I geared this thread to be about. Otherwise I'd have included Ocon in the poll as well... and I suppose also Marcus Ericsson :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:03 pm 

j man wrote:
I've always rated Hulkenberg and I think he'll give Ricciardo a real run for his money next season. Admittedly he does seem to have faded a little in the past couple of seasons with a few mistakes creeping in (turn 1 at Spa this season was an absolute howler) where he was once the model of consistency. Still, I rate him as champion material if he were ever given the opportunity: a Rosberg or Button level driver waiting patiently in the midfield.

Perez I think lacks consistency and is too often let down by his qualifying. He was outqualified 16-5 by Ocon this year.

I'm interested to see how Stroll does next year. He was well out of his depth when he arrived in F1 but I think that was due to inexperience and not being ready for the step up rather than a lack of raw talent as such. In 2019 we'll really see if he's up to standard, there can be no excuses of inexperience in year 3 and he has a good benchmark in Perez as a team mate.

Perez is much more consistent than Hulkenberg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:04 pm 

If Stroll is underrated then Sirotkin should be getting a good drive next season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Not on the grid next year though, which is what I geared this thread to be about. Otherwise I'd have included Ocon in the poll as well... and I suppose also Marcus Ericsson :lol:

Oops! Didn't notice that it said 2019. x(

In that case... I'm voting for Ricciardo because I do strongly disagree with your methods! And also, I've already checked 'other' and can't change my vote. 8)

mikeyg123 wrote:
If Stroll is underrated then Sirotkin should be getting a good drive next season.

I think Stroll is so badly rated that there is actually a good chance he's underrated. That's not to say he's good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:55 pm 

Exediron wrote:

Underated in the sense that he's considered woefully substandard when he's actually merely moderately substandard.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:48 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Underated in the sense that he's considered woefully substandard when he's actually merely moderately substandard.

I actually think he's about average, but yeah, that idea. He's nowhere near as bad as people make him sound, and I hope he proves it in Formula E.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:20 am 

if we are asking which driver is most underrated in this forum, I think it is Kimi Raikkonen. Some have made a "career" of bashing him for a variety of reasons, I feel he is better than they wish to give credit for.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:15 am 

Hamilton, Max and especially Alonso are overrated.
Bottas, Perez and Kmag are probably 3 most underrated drivers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:42 pm 

Stroll.

He was decent in his first season, this season should be wiped from memory given how utterly garbage the Williams car was this year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:08 pm 

Everybody getting to F1 on merit is very, very, very good. Even poor pay drivers have to be very decent as a minimum.

After you get there, you need the talent, the luck, a bit of stars to align (and I'll mention talent again), the breaks to go for you, and the formula to suit your style, to be the top tier.

By that virtue, anyone who makes it to F1 and doesn't get a top seat is probably under rated. It's like being the worst player in the Barcelona first team.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:17 am 

I'm going Sainz.

Hulk is underrated, especially in qualifying, and Sainz didn't do a bad job against him and if you remove the top 3 teams then Sainz actually finishes runner up in that tier two championship 8pts behind Hulk but ahead of the likes of Perez and Ocon who I think have bigger reps from the year and also ahead of Kmag and he did it without any significant car advantage.

Also while the Renault was good in the midfield it was never consistently 4th best so its pretty good going against a tough team mate in his 1st proper year in the team but because he got beat by Hulk and Red Bull chose Gasly (Not on talent imo) it seems to have negatively affected his rep somewhat but he's had some standout performances like Hungary and AD, is still young and has a chance to mould a team around him if he can beat Norris which he should unless Lando comes in hot of course.

But his rep is probably at an all time low which is why I think he's now underrated.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:28 am 

The most underrated driver on the current grid is Sergio Perez. People can call it luck or whatever, but this guy has 8 podium finishes while never driving anything but a midfield car. Every time there is chaos, you can count on Perez being there to capitalize. I rate Checo highly, in fact, I believe that currently he is a top 5 driver on the grid. Only Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen and Ricciardo are better than him. Leclerc is pending.

The most underrated driver of the last 20 years is Jarno Trulli.

Along with Hamilton, Trulli is the only driver who has beaten Alonso in qualifying as teammates. Likewise, unlike other journeymen of his era (DC, Rubens, Webber, Fisi) he never got an opportunity to drive a great car.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:04 am 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Exediron wrote:

Oops, I misread the year too. My apologies, and has anybody seen my glasses?

I rather like Blake's reasoning on Kimi. and KingVoid's on Sergio Perez (and Trulli!). But if I could change my vote, it would go to Kimi.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:44 am 

I've written rather a lot here. Have put the driver I've gone for in Bold.

Bottas: He's not the one I'm voting for but I do think he is a little bit under rated. He hardly ever has stand out races. When based on his own drives, he may have some, but his best are normally not spectacular. While he does have several races where he under performs, Bottas never ever seems to have dreadful races. He's never caused his own or anyone else's retirement in any race in his career. His qualifying pace has been decent on average against Hamilton. His race pace has had a dip later on this season, but I don't think Hamilton has gone downhill at all since getting the title. I don't think that mercedes is the best car on race day any more. The Ferrari's and Red Bulls looked as quick or quicker than Mercedes in the last 2 races excluding qualifying. Buttas holding them up has really helped Hamilton make the car look better than it is. Bottas finishing 5th isn't quite as bad as it seems. I still think he's a little under rated and Hamilton is just making him look bad.

Leclerc: How can he be underrated? I think he's been very over rated given what evidence we have. The Sauber is significantly better than it was last year and he has Ericsson as a team mate. While Ericsson hasn't been close on qualifying, there have been several races where Ericsson's pace actually wasn't much worse. And in 3 of the wet sessions/races (Hungary/Brazil qualifying and Germany race), when the rain came, it is just clear that Ericsson is better. And given that Ericsson until this year had never fully completed a wet race, I thought that showed he was pretty bad in these conditions. But Leclerc was very poor when the rain came in Germany and Ericsson handled the car much better in qualifying in Hungary. Then the same was the case in Brazil despite Leclerc having several attempts. Ericsson beat him on his first Q3 run and was 1 of only 2 drivers to improve on his 2nd run. I would still rate Ericsson below 15th overall on the grid. So the fact that sometimes (in wet weather especially) Ericsson seems better, this is going to eb somewhere Leclerc will struggle against Vettel. I don't understand why people are expecting him to challenge Vettel so hard. Bottas had way more experience than him when he went up against Hamilton and virtually nobody had high hoped for him. His lack of experience and typical Ferrari orders will result in a gap as big or bigger as Bottas and Hamilton in their first season together IMO. But I'me happy to be proven wrong. I do rate Leclerc to be very strong. By the hype about him is going crazy. I think Sauber has much better than some realise this year. I don't think it is Leclerc out performing the car at all.

Gasly: I think he's neither. I don't think he's shown to be any better than Kvyat was when he got promoted to Red Bull. But the car has certainly been better than it was in 2014. I haven't really followed him that closely that season. I doubt he will challenge Verstappen much, but we will see.

Hulkenberg: I don't see that many people rate him that highly any more. But I myself just don't think he's that good. I think Bottas and Perez are certainly better than him. Hulkenberg has had at least 1 or 2 extremely careless incidents over the past 2 years. Just looking like he got distracted. Both years turning into the wall at Baku involving just himself. Then this year, he made a massive error at Spa causing a very big accident including many drivers. Then he also had another moment with lack of awareness with Grosjean last race. His other drives are often solid but not spectacular. And never having got a podium by this stage is poor IMO. Perez managed 3 maybe 4 when they were team mates. He had some at Sauber too. Bottas also managed several when in a car with similar ability. Even though he's been at Renault for some time now, Sainz was not far off at all. And I rate Ricciardo as far better than Sainz. Once a few races have passed, I think Ricciardo will beat him pretty easily. Could be wrong though.

Magnussen: Even in the first half of the season when Grosjean looked a right mess, I still thought Grosjean was the faster one of the two. Magnussen has certainly been decent this year and has had several very strong races. But When Grosjean was on form, he beat him my much bigger margins (time wise) than Magnussen did with him. Some of the qualifying gaps have been massive. Magnussen has often been well behind Grosjean in qualifying recently. I think Magnussen is good enough for F1, but nothing special. But don't think he's over or under rated.

Grosjean: Maybe a little under rated. He's a bit like Verstappen this season in terms of being up and down. If it wasn't for what the team did in Italy with his car, he would only be around 10 points below Magnussen. Which considering the start of the season, is not bad at all. Magnussen hasn't exactly been unlucky in the 2nd half of the season. Grosjean has just been far better. Grosjean's main problem is how sensitive he is to thinks being slightly wrong with the car. It is a weakness. But when he's comfortable with the car, he can put in performances that look more impressive than anything Magnussen's done IMO. Also better than many other drivers. He's rather unpredictable. But he still often does put in some really strong drives and is very capable. That is why I think he is just a little underrated. Sainz

Sainz: I don't think Sainz is underrated. I think Hulkenberg is having a bit of a slump this year and is making Sainz look a little better than he really is. He has had several good races, but I don't think he's that good.

Perez: I think Perez has been weak in qualifying this year. I don't actually think it is Ocon getting better. As Perez still seems to do better in the races on the whole. Perez's main strength is tyre management. He's managed to pull of some very impressive races in the past. But I still think that overall, Bottas is slightly better than him. Don't think I'll get many agreeing with me here, but I do think Bottas is better in qualifying and when he was at williams, I thought he looked better there too. Despite Perez outscoring him. Force India clearly looked stronger than Williams near the end of the season. With just 4 races to go, Bottas was still ahead of Perez in the Championship. If it wasn't for Bottas's puncture in the USA and rear damper failing in the last race, he will have likely beaten Perez.

Stroll Stroll is the driver I've gone for as being the most underrated. That is despite me thinking he's currently the worst out of any driver on this list. He came into F1 too early. All to do with his money. We shouldn't have overly high expectations. It is his 2nd season but the car is just awful so he can't really show us much. But he was certainly decent in Baku. And I have to say is is very good at pulling off good race starts. Even though that Williams handles terrible, he hasn't had as many DNF caused by himself as Verstappen had this year or in his rookie year if I am correct. Stroll just isn't as bad as people think. I wouldn't rate him highly at all. But I look forward to seeing him have a good chance. And I expect he will sometimes be able to challenge Perez. I sometimes think driving a challenging car can be really good to develop your skill. It could well be the case that he finds the Racing Point so easy to drive that he really surprises us all.

Raikkonen: I think he's a little under rated. Maybe not in qualifying but in the race, he's often looking pretty strong. In the 2nd half of the season anyway. I thought the first half of the season, he looked pretty slow in the races. He's closer to Vettel than some think. I thought he was ready for retirement at the end of last year. But I'm really happy that he's willing to go to a team that won't be anywhere near as good to help them out. He will be very experienced and hopefully will be able to get sauber much higher up the grid.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:15 pm 

Grosjean got my vote because I think his 'A Game' is right up there with some of the best. The consistency is seriously lacking but if he knits a whole season together he'll embarass Magnussen a bit.

Stroll is probably slightly underrated, but was one of the three weakest drivers on the grid anyway so he's not criminally underrated.

Hulkenberg is rated about right. A dependable, middle of the road driver and effective points grinder. Beaten by Perez pretty handily in 2015 and 2016.

Perez is another rated about right. He is the most dependable on race day (aside from the odd anomaly) outside of the top tier of drivers. His 2013 at Mclaren perhaps showed that the 'best of the rest' battle is about his ceiling. Not a great qualifier but has given Ocon the odd lesson on race day.

Sainz is about average. Beaten handily by Max in 2015, hasn't shown himself to be exceptional alongside the Hulk either.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:47 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
Along with Hamilton, Trulli is the only driver who has beaten Alonso in qualifying as teammates. Likewise, unlike other journeymen of his era (DC, Rubens, Webber, Fisi) he never got an opportunity to drive a great car.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:18 pm 

I would say Stroll overall. When Stroll came into the sport, did anyone expect him to be fast or keep it on the road based on his credentials and reason for getting a seat? In that regard, I think he's been criminally underrated. He's generally had a decent set of hands, and it seems the car is far more a reason for his lack of speed than his own talent. He's held his own for the most part, and that's surprised me.

I also think Perez gets underrated due to his McLaren stint, but he's been such a great driver every other year. He almost single-handedly turned Hulkenberg's reputation into journeyman (and we'll see how Hulk himself compares to DR).

And, Kimi, but hear me out. I don't think he's underrated in terms of his speed or racing - I think most fans view him where he ought to be now. Outright speed less than the absolute best, and not very aggressive in overtaking (however, he's very fair and reasonable when dueling other drivers and that's a good quality in itself). However, I think people truly don't buy into his value to the team in its totality. It's clear every team has valued him for his technical input and communication and he's never toxic to the team or the other driver. There has never been talk of him hiding setup data, or playing political games within the team.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 pm 

KingVoid wrote:

He was a victim of his qualifying success in some ways. He gets remembered by some for the infamous 'Trulli trains' in races where he had qualified it higher than it had any right to be.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:24 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

He was a victim of his qualifying success in some ways. He gets remembered by some for the infamous 'Trulli trains' in races where he had qualified it higher than it had any right to be.

That was his problem overall, he wasn't fast in races which is after all way more important than quali. His race pace was inconsistent and probably he had the biggest gap between quali pace and race pace on the entire grid. No idea if this was his driving style or he couldn't manage the tyres on longer stints but those Trulli trains were so annoinyg :) I remember the guy from being so good on one lap and so mediocre during the race...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:22 am 

I disagree that Trulli was underrated. He's a guy who had a lot of experienced team mates so we can benchmark him quite well. When push comes to shove he was better than Panis and a rookie Glock but no better Frentzen, Ralf Schumacher, or Kovalinen and looked inferior to an experienced Button just off a trouncing from Fissichella.

He did have a good half season against Alonso in 04 but was well beaten by him throughout 03 and IMO one swallow does not make a summer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:07 am 

Looking at Bottas' rating on the best driver line ups for 2019, I voted for him.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:26 am 

pokerman wrote:
Looking at Bottas' rating on the best driver line ups for 2019, I voted for him.

He's pretty poorly rated after this last season, I agree. But he was also pretty poor for the majority of it. He's established a disturbing, Grosjean-like habit now of looking good for about a third of the season and disappearing for the rest. I can't see rating Bottas as a complete package much above the halfway point.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:11 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

:thumbup:

Disagree with Trulli and this is about 2019, not the golden era.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:07 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Perhaps Grosjean. He finished behing K-Mag in the points table, but in recent times when both have clean races it tends to be Grosjean who is ahead. I think he'll have a much stronger 2019.

I would agree with you, however most years he's been involved in some sort of driver error of sorts and crashes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:11 pm 

pokerman wrote:

My heart goes out to Bottas, he could of had a better year had this bad luck not effected him. I hope he gets a chance to score a couple more wins next year. I don't think after 2019, his contract will get re-newed :-(( ...Which is very sad indeed!!.... I also voted for him as well.

In all fairness to Bottas, he did the job Mercedes wanted of him and did bloody well at it IMO...