planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:18 pm 

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that we won't see a continuation of the dominance of Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull this year over the rest of the field. I think the hybrid era has finally matured to a level of closeness that we haven't seen since 2012/2013. Don't get me wrong, the top three teams should still be the top three teams but I think that teams like Renault, Haas and probably Alfa will be within half a second of that group and McLaren, Racing Point and Toro Rosso might be in that vicinity too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:03 am 

The only team who I can see break into the top tier, if they are serious about their commitment to F1, is Renault. As for the rest, I reckon that the gap will remain around 1 second/lap. The difference in resources is too great.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:29 am 

KingVoid wrote:
The only team who I can see break into the top tier, if they are serious about their commitment to F1, is Renault. As for the rest, I reckon that the gap will remain around 1 second/lap. The difference in resources is too great.

But the gap should surely close when a budget cap is introduced in 2021?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 am 

KingVoid wrote:

So you think the best of the midfield teams will be a second off the slowest of the Big 3? I just don't see it. I think it will be more like half a second at most. I can see teams like Haas, Alfa and certainly Renault being inside of half a second away from the Big 3. That's just my read on things.