planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:01 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic

Which Teammate Will Win?
Poll runs till Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:22 pm
Hamilton 10%  10%  [ 59 ]
Bottas 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Vettel 7%  7%  [ 41 ]
Leclerc 3%  3%  [ 18 ]
Verstappen 10%  10%  [ 56 ]
Gasly 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Ricciardo 8%  8%  [ 48 ]
Hulkenberg 2%  2%  [ 12 ]
Grosjean 7%  7%  [ 38 ]
Magnussen 3%  3%  [ 19 ]
Perez 9%  9%  [ 50 ]
Stroll 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
Raikkonen 10%  10%  [ 57 ]
Giovinazzi 0%  0%  [ 2 ]
Sainz 8%  8%  [ 44 ]
Norris 2%  2%  [ 12 ]
Kvyatt 6%  6%  [ 33 ]
Albon 2%  2%  [ 14 ]
Kubica 5%  5%  [ 28 ]
Russel 5%  5%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 568
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:12 pm
Posts: 49
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
You think that Mercedes should have bought a F1 team for a junior driver?

Not for any one junior driver, no. But for the sake of the program, they either need a junior team or a working agreement with some team lower down the ladder. Even Toto Wolff has admitted that there are serious flaws with their junior program when they can't actually place a driver in F1. Russel got that Williams seat on his own, by all accounts, so has Mercedes actually managed to help a single driver find a seat and stay in F1?


So far it looks like being a Merc junior driver is making it only harder to find a place in F1 in any non Merc powered team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 350
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Only 2 things are written in stone at this point. Bottas and Stroll are gonna get hammered.....
I have voted for the rest and only one thing with odds with others. I think we will see true potential of Hulkenberg next season against Dan.


Stroll might surprise a lot of people.

It's normal to dislike rich folks but the kid is got something going for him, in the wet he's good as well and a midfield car might just improve his image and going against a known quantity in Perez.


I don't think it is a matter of disliking Stroll, more like that Perez is a very good and much more experienced driver.[/quote]

It is, as if you look at Vettel v LeClerc it has not stopped people saying he's going to thrash Vettel.

People detest Stroll for his fathers money nothing else, hence they don't take into account what he does.

If Ocon had gotten a seat it would have been because of Mercedes money, so no difference.

This is just nonsense everyone is in F1 because of money without Mercedes sponsoring Ocon he won't be in F1, its not like Stroll does not have good results in junior category.

Working class or rich background has no difference to performance in sports as long as the individual is interested in the sport, you get to start at a young age and if you have a sponsor who can pay for your training it takes you a long way.

Folks like to play this working class background BS without Redbull or Mercedes Vettel and Hamilton will just be fans of F1 as well.[/quote][/quote]

Vettel and Hamilton were picked up by Red Bull and Mercedes mainly because of their eye catching performances from an early age (Vettel a bit later perhaps). Stroll owes most of his success to the advantages that Daddy has given him.

Both ways into F1 are perfectly legal and should remain so. I just have a lot more respect for the former than I do the latter. Lance seems a nice enough chap and I wish him no ill will. But I can think of at least 10 active drivers currently not driving for an F1 team who are better than him.

If we compare it to a regular office job, the head of department who has relied on ability and aptitude tp get to their position would have far more respect than the head of department who got the job because their family owned the business.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1702
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Only 2 things are written in stone at this point. Bottas and Stroll are gonna get hammered.....
I have voted for the rest and only one thing with odds with others. I think we will see true potential of Hulkenberg next season against Dan.


Stroll might surprise a lot of people.

It's normal to dislike rich folks but the kid is got something going for him, in the wet he's good as well and a midfield car might just improve his image and going against a known quantity in Perez.


I don't think it is a matter of disliking Stroll, more like that Perez is a very good and much more experienced driver.


It is, as if you look at Vettel v LeClerc it has not stopped people saying he's going to thrash Vettel.

People detest Stroll for his fathers money nothing else, hence they don't take into account what he does.

If Ocon had gotten a seat it would have been because of Mercedes money, so no difference.

This is just nonsense everyone is in F1 because of money without Mercedes sponsoring Ocon he won't be in F1, its not like Stroll does not have good results in junior category.

Working class or rich background has no difference to performance in sports as long as the individual is interested in the sport, you get to start at a young age and if you have a sponsor who can pay for your training it takes you a long way.

Folks like to play this working class background BS without Redbull or Mercedes Vettel and Hamilton will just be fans of F1 as well.

Vettel and Hamilton were picked up by Red Bull and Mercedes mainly because of their eye catching performances from an early age (Vettel a bit later perhaps). Stroll owes most of his success to the advantages that Daddy has given him.

Both ways into F1 are perfectly legal and should remain so. I just have a lot more respect for the former than I do the latter. Lance seems a nice enough chap and I wish him no ill will. But I can think of at least 10 active drivers currently not driving for an F1 team who are better than him.

If we compare it to a regular office job, the head of department who has relied on ability and aptitude tp get to their position would have far more respect than the head of department who got the job because their family owned the business.


It's the kind of nonsense they tell people to make them think you have to struggle your way up.

Imagine this scenario if Hamilton or Vettel had a rich uncle would that take away from their talent?

Or the scenario you painted above now if your family own a business and send you to top schools as well, the working class guy getting the job would have same qualifications as you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28746
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
You think that Mercedes should have bought a F1 team for a junior driver?

Not for any one junior driver, no. But for the sake of the program, they either need a junior team or a working agreement with some team lower down the ladder. Even Toto Wolff has admitted that there are serious flaws with their junior program when they can't actually place a driver in F1. Russel got that Williams seat on his own, by all accounts, so has Mercedes actually managed to help a single driver find a seat and stay in F1?

I would say that they had a working agreement with Force India until Lawrence Stroll bought the team for his son, also let's not forget that they negotiated a deal with Renault which was days away from being signed until Ricciardo jumped ship from Red Bull.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28746
Mayox wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
You think that Mercedes should have bought a F1 team for a junior driver?

Not for any one junior driver, no. But for the sake of the program, they either need a junior team or a working agreement with some team lower down the ladder. Even Toto Wolff has admitted that there are serious flaws with their junior program when they can't actually place a driver in F1. Russel got that Williams seat on his own, by all accounts, so has Mercedes actually managed to help a single driver find a seat and stay in F1?


So far it looks like being a Merc junior driver is making it only harder to find a place in F1 in any non Merc powered team.

Same for any Ferrari juniors or Red Bull juniors, let's not forget that Giovinazzi had to sit on the sidelines for 2 years.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28746
Rockie wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Only 2 things are written in stone at this point. Bottas and Stroll are gonna get hammered.....
I have voted for the rest and only one thing with odds with others. I think we will see true potential of Hulkenberg next season against Dan.


Stroll might surprise a lot of people.

It's normal to dislike rich folks but the kid is got something going for him, in the wet he's good as well and a midfield car might just improve his image and going against a known quantity in Perez.


I don't think it is a matter of disliking Stroll, more like that Perez is a very good and much more experienced driver.


It is, as if you look at Vettel v LeClerc it has not stopped people saying he's going to thrash Vettel.

People detest Stroll for his fathers money nothing else, hence they don't take into account what he does.

If Ocon had gotten a seat it would have been because of Mercedes money, so no difference.

This is just nonsense everyone is in F1 because of money without Mercedes sponsoring Ocon he won't be in F1, its not like Stroll does not have good results in junior category.

Working class or rich background has no difference to performance in sports as long as the individual is interested in the sport, you get to start at a young age and if you have a sponsor who can pay for your training it takes you a long way.

Folks like to play this working class background BS without Redbull or Mercedes Vettel and Hamilton will just be fans of F1 as well.

Vettel and Hamilton were picked up by Red Bull and Mercedes mainly because of their eye catching performances from an early age (Vettel a bit later perhaps). Stroll owes most of his success to the advantages that Daddy has given him.

Both ways into F1 are perfectly legal and should remain so. I just have a lot more respect for the former than I do the latter. Lance seems a nice enough chap and I wish him no ill will. But I can think of at least 10 active drivers currently not driving for an F1 team who are better than him.

If we compare it to a regular office job, the head of department who has relied on ability and aptitude tp get to their position would have far more respect than the head of department who got the job because their family owned the business.


It's the kind of nonsense they tell people to make them think you have to struggle your way up.

Imagine this scenario if Hamilton or Vettel had a rich uncle would that take away from their talent?

Or the scenario you painted above now if your family own a business and send you to top schools as well, the working class guy getting the job would have same qualifications as you.

Senna came from money but this was never used against him because of his talent, what talent has Stroll got, this year he got outqualified by an unrated rookie.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:12 pm
Posts: 49
Stroll already was destroyed by post accident Massa and outqualified by Sirotkin, no idea where is this hidden potential in him that some people here are seeing. People do not rate Stroll because he has never proved to be F1 level driver. And the fact that after 2 seasons of poor performance he's not leaving F1 (like other drivers would do) but taking a seat in better team from clearly a better driver because his Daddy bought the whole team for him is really not helping.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6964
Location: Mumbai, India
Mayox wrote:
Stroll already was destroyed by post accident Massa and outqualified by Sirotkin, no idea where is this hidden potential in him that some people here are seeing. People do not rate Stroll because he has never proved to be F1 level driver. And the fact that after 2 seasons of poor performance he's not leaving F1 (like other drivers would do) but taking a seat in better team from clearly a better driver because his Daddy bought the whole team for him is really not helping.


Stroll has a good junior record. You can buy a seat but can't buy performance. I'm also a little critical for Stroll replacing Ocon but I think till a few races aren't completed, I think it's best not to criticize Stroll. His dad Lawrence who has many successful businesses, I'm sure didn't blindly let Lance occupy the 2nd seat. I doubt his fatherly side is stronger than his business side.

Sometimes a bad car (Williams or McLaren) may be bad to drive in general but it may suit 1 driver more than the other. I think Sirotkin was better in maximizing the car's ability than Stroll. Wasn't this the case with Raikkonen where this year's car suited him as well? Something to do with suspension not sure but something was changed in the car which suited Raikkonen's driving style which is why he was so ultra this year!

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28746
Mayox wrote:
Stroll already was destroyed by post accident Massa and outqualified by Sirotkin, no idea where is this hidden potential in him that some people here are seeing. People do not rate Stroll because he has never proved to be F1 level driver. And the fact that after 2 seasons of poor performance he's not leaving F1 (like other drivers would do) but taking a seat in better team from clearly a better driver because his Daddy bought the whole team for him is really not helping.

In respect to this post accident Massa did Kimi also get a nasty bump on the head to explain his performances post 2009?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Last edited by pokerman on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28746
UnlikeUday wrote:
Mayox wrote:
Stroll already was destroyed by post accident Massa and outqualified by Sirotkin, no idea where is this hidden potential in him that some people here are seeing. People do not rate Stroll because he has never proved to be F1 level driver. And the fact that after 2 seasons of poor performance he's not leaving F1 (like other drivers would do) but taking a seat in better team from clearly a better driver because his Daddy bought the whole team for him is really not helping.


Stroll has a good junior record. You can buy a seat but can't buy performance. I'm also a little critical for Stroll replacing Ocon but I think till a few races aren't completed, I think it's best not to criticize Stroll. His dad Lawrence who has many successful businesses, I'm sure didn't blindly let Lance occupy the 2nd seat. I doubt his fatherly side is stronger than his business side.

Sometimes a bad car (Williams or McLaren) may be bad to drive in general but it may suit 1 driver more than the other. I think Sirotkin was better in maximizing the car's ability than Stroll. Wasn't this the case with Raikkonen where this year's car suited him as well? Something to do with suspension not sure but something was changed in the car which suited Raikkonen's driving style which is why he was so ultra this year!

Actually there is a case to be made for the Strolls buying the F3 title given the many advantages bestowed onto Lance.

Regarding Lawrence a pure business decision wouldn't see Ocon replaced by his son.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 350
Rockie wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Only 2 things are written in stone at this point. Bottas and Stroll are gonna get hammered.....
I have voted for the rest and only one thing with odds with others. I think we will see true potential of Hulkenberg next season against Dan.


Stroll might surprise a lot of people.

It's normal to dislike rich folks but the kid is got something going for him, in the wet he's good as well and a midfield car might just improve his image and going against a known quantity in Perez.


I don't think it is a matter of disliking Stroll, more like that Perez is a very good and much more experienced driver.


It is, as if you look at Vettel v LeClerc it has not stopped people saying he's going to thrash Vettel.

People detest Stroll for his fathers money nothing else, hence they don't take into account what he does.

If Ocon had gotten a seat it would have been because of Mercedes money, so no difference.

This is just nonsense everyone is in F1 because of money without Mercedes sponsoring Ocon he won't be in F1, its not like Stroll does not have good results in junior category.

Working class or rich background has no difference to performance in sports as long as the individual is interested in the sport, you get to start at a young age and if you have a sponsor who can pay for your training it takes you a long way.

Folks like to play this working class background BS without Redbull or Mercedes Vettel and Hamilton will just be fans of F1 as well.

Vettel and Hamilton were picked up by Red Bull and Mercedes mainly because of their eye catching performances from an early age (Vettel a bit later perhaps). Stroll owes most of his success to the advantages that Daddy has given him.

Both ways into F1 are perfectly legal and should remain so. I just have a lot more respect for the former than I do the latter. Lance seems a nice enough chap and I wish him no ill will. But I can think of at least 10 active drivers currently not driving for an F1 team who are better than him.

If we compare it to a regular office job, the head of department who has relied on ability and aptitude tp get to their position would have far more respect than the head of department who got the job because their family owned the business.


It's the kind of nonsense they tell people to make them think you have to struggle your way up.

Imagine this scenario if Hamilton or Vettel had a rich uncle would that take away from their talent?

Or the scenario you painted above now if your family own a business and send you to top schools as well, the working class guy getting the job would have same qualifications as you.


You keep making this absurd comparison to Hamilton and Vettel. If they had rich uncles then it wouldn't take away from their talent as they proved themselves with performances.

With Stroll what 'talent' is there to take away from? Being beaten by a Felipe Massa who was dragged out of retirement by Rosbergs retirement and Bottas' Williams call up. Then he was outqualified over a season by a Russian rookie.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:12 pm
Posts: 49
UnlikeUday wrote:

His dad Lawrence who has many successful businesses, I'm sure didn't blindly let Lance occupy the 2nd seat. I doubt his fatherly side is stronger than his business side.



I'm pretty sure you are trolling me here :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1702
BMWSauber84 wrote:

You keep making this absurd comparison to Hamilton and Vettel. If they had rich uncles then it wouldn't take away from their talent as they proved themselves with performances.

With Stroll what 'talent' is there to take away from? Being beaten by a Felipe Massa who was dragged out of retirement by Rosbergs retirement and Bottas' Williams call up. Then he was outqualified over a season by a Russian rookie.


Nothing absurd about it, because they are successful now you find it absurd but if they had bombed out you would have a different tune.

Wait till next year in a better car and if Stroll fails then you can have a go.

I mean the Stroll's basically kept Williams afloat, if Mercedes really wanted Ocon in F1 they could have stomped up the cash.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 350
Rockie wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

You keep making this absurd comparison to Hamilton and Vettel. If they had rich uncles then it wouldn't take away from their talent as they proved themselves with performances.

With Stroll what 'talent' is there to take away from? Being beaten by a Felipe Massa who was dragged out of retirement by Rosbergs retirement and Bottas' Williams call up. Then he was outqualified over a season by a Russian rookie.


Nothing absurd about it, because they are successful now you find it absurd but if they had bombed out you would have a different tune.

Wait till next year in a better car and if Stroll fails then you can have a go.

I mean the Stroll's basically kept Williams afloat, if Mercedes really wanted Ocon in F1 they could have stomped up the cash.


I would absolutely have a different tune if they had bombed out. But they didn't which is kind of the point.

Why do I have to wait and see how he does at Force India? The best up and coming talent tend to produce some eye catching performances even in poor machinery like the 2018 Williams. His qualifying performances have been especially poor.

This idea that he's got some mysterious hidden talent that is being disguised by the car is pretty ludicrous. Especially when there's a teammate to compare him to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14283
If Perez doesn't comfortably beat Stroll we need to get Sirtokin back in F1.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6224
Location: Michigan, USA
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Perez doesn't comfortably beat Stroll we need to get Sirtokin back in F1.

I would be willing to bet you a sizable pile of money that Perez will beat Stroll comfortably.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:12 pm
Posts: 49
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Perez doesn't comfortably beat Stroll we need to get Sirtokin back in F1.

I would be willing to bet you a sizable pile of money that Perez will beat Stroll comfortably.


Don't forget it's a Stroll's team now (literally) and they desperately need Stroll to looks good vs someone finally... I'm not suggesting anything but...


Last edited by Mayox on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 513
Location: Stratford
Mayox wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Perez doesn't comfortably beat Stroll we need to get Sirtokin back in F1.

I would be willing to bet you a sizable pile of money that Perez will beat Stroll comfortably.


Don't forget it's a Stroll's team now (literally) and they desperately need Stroll to look good vs someone finally... I'm not suggesting anything but...


Stroll might get first dibs on new parts etc, but I don't believe for a minute they would engineer something so Stroll can look good ahead of Perez. If the midfield teams are as close as they were this year I imagine that Stroll won't be in a position that giving him a preferential strategy will help him beat Perez.

What might be interesting is what happens at the end of next season if it turns out that Perez does beat Stroll very comfortably.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14283
Mayox wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Perez doesn't comfortably beat Stroll we need to get Sirtokin back in F1.

I would be willing to bet you a sizable pile of money that Perez will beat Stroll comfortably.


Don't forget it's a Stroll's team now (literally) and they desperately need Stroll to look good vs someone finally... I'm not suggesting anything but...


I'd be more worried about this if it was someone else other than Perez. Perez has some powerful friends of his own and doesn't seem like the sort of guy to suffer being messed about without making a big stink about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:12 pm
Posts: 49
JN23 wrote:
Mayox wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Perez doesn't comfortably beat Stroll we need to get Sirtokin back in F1.

I would be willing to bet you a sizable pile of money that Perez will beat Stroll comfortably.


Don't forget it's a Stroll's team now (literally) and they desperately need Stroll to look good vs someone finally... I'm not suggesting anything but...


Stroll might get first dibs on new parts etc, but I don't believe for a minute they would engineer something so Stroll can look good ahead of Perez. If the midfield teams are as close as they were this year I imagine that Stroll won't be in a position that giving him a preferential strategy will help him beat Perez.

What might be interesting is what happens at the end of next season if it turns out that Perez does beat Stroll very comfortably.


People will still say Stroll has hidden potential and they will replace Perez with Jacques Villeneuve so Stroll can finally beat someone :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 1469
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Mayox wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Mayox wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Perez doesn't comfortably beat Stroll we need to get Sirtokin back in F1.

I would be willing to bet you a sizable pile of money that Perez will beat Stroll comfortably.


Don't forget it's a Stroll's team now (literally) and they desperately need Stroll to look good vs someone finally... I'm not suggesting anything but...


Stroll might get first dibs on new parts etc, but I don't believe for a minute they would engineer something so Stroll can look good ahead of Perez. If the midfield teams are as close as they were this year I imagine that Stroll won't be in a position that giving him a preferential strategy will help him beat Perez.

What might be interesting is what happens at the end of next season if it turns out that Perez does beat Stroll very comfortably.


People will still say Stroll has hidden potential and they will replace Perez with Jacques Villeneuve so Stroll can finally beat someone :D


The guy had a podium, a front row start and finished a mere 3 points behind his vastly more experienced team mate in his 1st year of F1 in 2017.

This year he beat his team mate, and a TR driver, in an absolute dog of a car.

He's good in the wet and off the line. He keeps it on the track and out of the way when being lapped and he does it all with a great deal of maturity and humility considering the environment he must have grown up in.

What more do you want the guy to do?

He's not the 2nd coming but he's no mug either.

_________________
Question: If a compulsive liar tells you they're a compulsive liar, are they really a compulsive liar?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6964
Location: Mumbai, India
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Perez doesn't comfortably beat Stroll we need to get Sirtokin back in F1.


Stroll could beat him in wet conditions.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28746
UnlikeUday wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Perez doesn't comfortably beat Stroll we need to get Sirtokin back in F1.


Stroll could beat him in wet conditions.

How many races are wet?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1702
Jezza13 wrote:

The guy had a podium, a front row start and finished a mere 3 points behind his vastly more experienced team mate in his 1st year of F1 in 2017.

This year he beat his team mate, and a TR driver, in an absolute dog of a car.

He's good in the wet and off the line. He keeps it on the track and out of the way when being lapped and he does it all with a great deal of maturity and humility considering the environment he must have grown up in.

What more do you want the guy to do?

He's not the 2nd coming but he's no mug either.


Exactly this and I am quite surprised the way he's being written off already.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 350
Rockie wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

The guy had a podium, a front row start and finished a mere 3 points behind his vastly more experienced team mate in his 1st year of F1 in 2017.

This year he beat his team mate, and a TR driver, in an absolute dog of a car.

He's good in the wet and off the line. He keeps it on the track and out of the way when being lapped and he does it all with a great deal of maturity and humility considering the environment he must have grown up in.

What more do you want the guy to do?

He's not the 2nd coming but he's no mug either.


Exactly this and I am quite surprised the way he's being written off already.


He was only close to Massa on points because of Massa's bad luck in Baku when second place was nailed on for him. That would have been a 20 point swing to Massa roughly. There were some times when Massa outqualified him by enormous margins too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 6670
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

The guy had a podium, a front row start and finished a mere 3 points behind his vastly more experienced team mate in his 1st year of F1 in 2017.

This year he beat his team mate, and a TR driver, in an absolute dog of a car.

He's good in the wet and off the line. He keeps it on the track and out of the way when being lapped and he does it all with a great deal of maturity and humility considering the environment he must have grown up in.

What more do you want the guy to do?

He's not the 2nd coming but he's no mug either.


Exactly this and I am quite surprised the way he's being written off already.


He was only close to Massa on points because of Massa's bad luck in Baku when second place was nailed on for him. That would have been a 20 point swing to Massa roughly. There were some times when Massa outqualified him by enormous margins too.


And? Luck is in the game, Massa had a damper failure, it's not that someone took him out. I'd expect a seasoned driver of Massa's calibre to have a margin over a rookie. There aren't many Hamilton type rookies out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28746
Rockie wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

The guy had a podium, a front row start and finished a mere 3 points behind his vastly more experienced team mate in his 1st year of F1 in 2017.

This year he beat his team mate, and a TR driver, in an absolute dog of a car.

He's good in the wet and off the line. He keeps it on the track and out of the way when being lapped and he does it all with a great deal of maturity and humility considering the environment he must have grown up in.

What more do you want the guy to do?

He's not the 2nd coming but he's no mug either.


Exactly this and I am quite surprised the way he's being written off already.

He got out qualified by Sirotkin, that's not good.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9398
Quite amazing actually that Stroll has a podium while Hulkenberg doesn't.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28746
Covalent wrote:
Quite amazing actually that Stroll has a podium while Hulkenberg doesn't.

The Hulk's had plenty of opportunities, given the chance he just seems to get a nose bleed, 2012 in Brazil was in particular a massive fail when a win never mind a podium was there on a plate for him.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14283
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Quite amazing actually that Stroll has a podium while Hulkenberg doesn't.

The Hulk's had plenty of opportunities, given the chance he just seems to get a nose bleed, 2012 in Brazil was in particular a massive fail when a win never mind a podium was there on a plate for him.


If I remember rightly he was ahead of Stroll when he binned it in Baku? Hulk is a very good driver and very quick but he is inconsistent and seems to blow it when a big result comes up. His max pace was quicker than Perez at FI but throughout 2015 and 16 he was way less consistent. He finished too many races this season pointless in a car that a driver of his speed should be able to score points in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28746
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Quite amazing actually that Stroll has a podium while Hulkenberg doesn't.

The Hulk's had plenty of opportunities, given the chance he just seems to get a nose bleed, 2012 in Brazil was in particular a massive fail when a win never mind a podium was there on a plate for him.


If I remember rightly he was ahead of Stroll when he binned it in Baku? Hulk is a very good driver and very quick but he is inconsistent and seems to blow it when a big result comes up. His max pace was quicker than Perez at FI but throughout 2015 and 16 he was way less consistent. He finished too many races this season pointless in a car that a driver of his speed should be able to score points in.

You remember correctly, doing my competition helps to make you more aware of such things, I picked the Hulk to do well in that race in Baku and he was running quite high up before he crashed much to my consternation.

He comes across as being a very solid and level headed driver but sometimes makes basic errors that you simply don't see with the drivers in the top teams.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group