Kvyatt 6%  6%  [ 33 ]
Albon 2%  2%  [ 14 ]
Kubica 5%  5%  [ 28 ]
Russel 5%  5%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 568
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:07 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
You think that Mercedes should have bought a F1 team for a junior driver?

Not for any one junior driver, no. But for the sake of the program, they either need a junior team or a working agreement with some team lower down the ladder. Even Toto Wolff has admitted that there are serious flaws with their junior program when they can't actually place a driver in F1. Russel got that Williams seat on his own, by all accounts, so has Mercedes actually managed to help a single driver find a seat and stay in F1?

So far it looks like being a Merc junior driver is making it only harder to find a place in F1 in any non Merc powered team.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:12 pm 

Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Only 2 things are written in stone at this point. Bottas and Stroll are gonna get hammered.....
I have voted for the rest and only one thing with odds with others. I think we will see true potential of Hulkenberg next season against Dan.

Stroll might surprise a lot of people.

It's normal to dislike rich folks but the kid is got something going for him, in the wet he's good as well and a midfield car might just improve his image and going against a known quantity in Perez.

I don't think it is a matter of disliking Stroll, more like that Perez is a very good and much more experienced driver.[/quote]

It is, as if you look at Vettel v LeClerc it has not stopped people saying he's going to thrash Vettel.

People detest Stroll for his fathers money nothing else, hence they don't take into account what he does.

If Ocon had gotten a seat it would have been because of Mercedes money, so no difference.

This is just nonsense everyone is in F1 because of money without Mercedes sponsoring Ocon he won't be in F1, its not like Stroll does not have good results in junior category.

Working class or rich background has no difference to performance in sports as long as the individual is interested in the sport, you get to start at a young age and if you have a sponsor who can pay for your training it takes you a long way.

Folks like to play this working class background BS without Redbull or Mercedes Vettel and Hamilton will just be fans of F1 as well.[/quote][/quote]

Vettel and Hamilton were picked up by Red Bull and Mercedes mainly because of their eye catching performances from an early age (Vettel a bit later perhaps). Stroll owes most of his success to the advantages that Daddy has given him.

Both ways into F1 are perfectly legal and should remain so. I just have a lot more respect for the former than I do the latter. Lance seems a nice enough chap and I wish him no ill will. But I can think of at least 10 active drivers currently not driving for an F1 team who are better than him.

If we compare it to a regular office job, the head of department who has relied on ability and aptitude tp get to their position would have far more respect than the head of department who got the job because their family owned the business.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:20 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Only 2 things are written in stone at this point. Bottas and Stroll are gonna get hammered.....
I have voted for the rest and only one thing with odds with others. I think we will see true potential of Hulkenberg next season against Dan.

It's normal to dislike rich folks but the kid is got something going for him, in the wet he's good as well and a midfield car might just improve his image and going against a known quantity in Perez.

I don't think it is a matter of disliking Stroll, more like that Perez is a very good and much more experienced driver.

It is, as if you look at Vettel v LeClerc it has not stopped people saying he's going to thrash Vettel.

People detest Stroll for his fathers money nothing else, hence they don't take into account what he does.

If Ocon had gotten a seat it would have been because of Mercedes money, so no difference.

This is just nonsense everyone is in F1 because of money without Mercedes sponsoring Ocon he won't be in F1, its not like Stroll does not have good results in junior category.

Working class or rich background has no difference to performance in sports as long as the individual is interested in the sport, you get to start at a young age and if you have a sponsor who can pay for your training it takes you a long way.

Folks like to play this working class background BS without Redbull or Mercedes Vettel and Hamilton will just be fans of F1 as well.

Vettel and Hamilton were picked up by Red Bull and Mercedes mainly because of their eye catching performances from an early age (Vettel a bit later perhaps). Stroll owes most of his success to the advantages that Daddy has given him.

Both ways into F1 are perfectly legal and should remain so. I just have a lot more respect for the former than I do the latter. Lance seems a nice enough chap and I wish him no ill will. But I can think of at least 10 active drivers currently not driving for an F1 team who are better than him.

If we compare it to a regular office job, the head of department who has relied on ability and aptitude tp get to their position would have far more respect than the head of department who got the job because their family owned the business.

It's the kind of nonsense they tell people to make them think you have to struggle your way up.

Imagine this scenario if Hamilton or Vettel had a rich uncle would that take away from their talent?

Or the scenario you painted above now if your family own a business and send you to top schools as well, the working class guy getting the job would have same qualifications as you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:59 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Not for any one junior driver, no. But for the sake of the program, they either need a junior team or a working agreement with some team lower down the ladder. Even Toto Wolff has admitted that there are serious flaws with their junior program when they can't actually place a driver in F1. Russel got that Williams seat on his own, by all accounts, so has Mercedes actually managed to help a single driver find a seat and stay in F1?

I would say that they had a working agreement with Force India until Lawrence Stroll bought the team for his son, also let's not forget that they negotiated a deal with Renault which was days away from being signed until Ricciardo jumped ship from Red Bull.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:02 pm 

Mayox wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

So far it looks like being a Merc junior driver is making it only harder to find a place in F1 in any non Merc powered team.

Same for any Ferrari juniors or Red Bull juniors, let's not forget that Giovinazzi had to sit on the sidelines for 2 years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:06 pm 

Rockie wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

I don't think it is a matter of disliking Stroll, more like that Perez is a very good and much more experienced driver.

Folks like to play this working class background BS without Redbull or Mercedes Vettel and Hamilton will just be fans of F1 as well.

It's the kind of nonsense they tell people to make them think you have to struggle your way up.

Imagine this scenario if Hamilton or Vettel had a rich uncle would that take away from their talent?

Or the scenario you painted above now if your family own a business and send you to top schools as well, the working class guy getting the job would have same qualifications as you.

Senna came from money but this was never used against him because of his talent, what talent has Stroll got, this year he got outqualified by an unrated rookie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:46 pm 

Stroll already was destroyed by post accident Massa and outqualified by Sirotkin, no idea where is this hidden potential in him that some people here are seeing. People do not rate Stroll because he has never proved to be F1 level driver. And the fact that after 2 seasons of poor performance he's not leaving F1 (like other drivers would do) but taking a seat in better team from clearly a better driver because his Daddy bought the whole team for him is really not helping.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:59 pm 

Mayox wrote:
Stroll already was destroyed by post accident Massa and outqualified by Sirotkin, no idea where is this hidden potential in him that some people here are seeing. People do not rate Stroll because he has never proved to be F1 level driver. And the fact that after 2 seasons of poor performance he's not leaving F1 (like other drivers would do) but taking a seat in better team from clearly a better driver because his Daddy bought the whole team for him is really not helping.

Stroll has a good junior record. You can buy a seat but can't buy performance. I'm also a little critical for Stroll replacing Ocon but I think till a few races aren't completed, I think it's best not to criticize Stroll. His dad Lawrence who has many successful businesses, I'm sure didn't blindly let Lance occupy the 2nd seat. I doubt his fatherly side is stronger than his business side.

Sometimes a bad car (Williams or McLaren) may be bad to drive in general but it may suit 1 driver more than the other. I think Sirotkin was better in maximizing the car's ability than Stroll. Wasn't this the case with Raikkonen where this year's car suited him as well? Something to do with suspension not sure but something was changed in the car which suited Raikkonen's driving style which is why he was so ultra this year!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:39 pm 

Mayox wrote:

In respect to this post accident Massa did Kimi also get a nasty bump on the head to explain his performances post 2009?

Last edited by pokerman on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:43 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Mayox wrote:

Stroll has a good junior record. You can buy a seat but can't buy performance. I'm also a little critical for Stroll replacing Ocon but I think till a few races aren't completed, I think it's best not to criticize Stroll. His dad Lawrence who has many successful businesses, I'm sure didn't blindly let Lance occupy the 2nd seat. I doubt his fatherly side is stronger than his business side.

Sometimes a bad car (Williams or McLaren) may be bad to drive in general but it may suit 1 driver more than the other. I think Sirotkin was better in maximizing the car's ability than Stroll. Wasn't this the case with Raikkonen where this year's car suited him as well? Something to do with suspension not sure but something was changed in the car which suited Raikkonen's driving style which is why he was so ultra this year!

Actually there is a case to be made for the Strolls buying the F3 title given the many advantages bestowed onto Lance.

Regarding Lawrence a pure business decision wouldn't see Ocon replaced by his son.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:54 pm 

Rockie wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

You keep making this absurd comparison to Hamilton and Vettel. If they had rich uncles then it wouldn't take away from their talent as they proved themselves with performances.

With Stroll what 'talent' is there to take away from? Being beaten by a Felipe Massa who was dragged out of retirement by Rosbergs retirement and Bottas' Williams call up. Then he was outqualified over a season by a Russian rookie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:06 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

His dad Lawrence who has many successful businesses, I'm sure didn't blindly let Lance occupy the 2nd seat. I doubt his fatherly side is stronger than his business side.

I'm pretty sure you are trolling me here :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:15 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:

You keep making this absurd comparison to Hamilton and Vettel. If they had rich uncles then it wouldn't take away from their talent as they proved themselves with performances.

With Stroll what 'talent' is there to take away from? Being beaten by a Felipe Massa who was dragged out of retirement by Rosbergs retirement and Bottas' Williams call up. Then he was outqualified over a season by a Russian rookie.

Nothing absurd about it, because they are successful now you find it absurd but if they had bombed out you would have a different tune.

Wait till next year in a better car and if Stroll fails then you can have a go.

I mean the Stroll's basically kept Williams afloat, if Mercedes really wanted Ocon in F1 they could have stomped up the cash.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:07 pm 

Rockie wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

Nothing absurd about it, because they are successful now you find it absurd but if they had bombed out you would have a different tune.

Wait till next year in a better car and if Stroll fails then you can have a go.

I mean the Stroll's basically kept Williams afloat, if Mercedes really wanted Ocon in F1 they could have stomped up the cash.

I would absolutely have a different tune if they had bombed out. But they didn't which is kind of the point.

Why do I have to wait and see how he does at Force India? The best up and coming talent tend to produce some eye catching performances even in poor machinery like the 2018 Williams. His qualifying performances have been especially poor.

This idea that he's got some mysterious hidden talent that is being disguised by the car is pretty ludicrous. Especially when there's a teammate to compare him to.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:48 pm 

If Perez doesn't comfortably beat Stroll we need to get Sirtokin back in F1.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:54 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:

I would be willing to bet you a sizable pile of money that Perez will beat Stroll comfortably.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 pm 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I would be willing to bet you a sizable pile of money that Perez will beat Stroll comfortably.

Don't forget it's a Stroll's team now (literally) and they desperately need Stroll to looks good vs someone finally... I'm not suggesting anything but...

Last edited by Mayox on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:56 pm 

Mayox wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Don't forget it's a Stroll's team now (literally) and they desperately need Stroll to look good vs someone finally... I'm not suggesting anything but...

Stroll might get first dibs on new parts etc, but I don't believe for a minute they would engineer something so Stroll can look good ahead of Perez. If the midfield teams are as close as they were this year I imagine that Stroll won't be in a position that giving him a preferential strategy will help him beat Perez.

What might be interesting is what happens at the end of next season if it turns out that Perez does beat Stroll very comfortably.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:10 pm 

Mayox wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Don't forget it's a Stroll's team now (literally) and they desperately need Stroll to look good vs someone finally... I'm not suggesting anything but...

I'd be more worried about this if it was someone else other than Perez. Perez has some powerful friends of his own and doesn't seem like the sort of guy to suffer being messed about without making a big stink about it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:36 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Mayox wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Stroll might get first dibs on new parts etc, but I don't believe for a minute they would engineer something so Stroll can look good ahead of Perez. If the midfield teams are as close as they were this year I imagine that Stroll won't be in a position that giving him a preferential strategy will help him beat Perez.

What might be interesting is what happens at the end of next season if it turns out that Perez does beat Stroll very comfortably.

People will still say Stroll has hidden potential and they will replace Perez with Jacques Villeneuve so Stroll can finally beat someone :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:48 am 

Mayox wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Mayox wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

People will still say Stroll has hidden potential and they will replace Perez with Jacques Villeneuve so Stroll can finally beat someone :D

The guy had a podium, a front row start and finished a mere 3 points behind his vastly more experienced team mate in his 1st year of F1 in 2017.

This year he beat his team mate, and a TR driver, in an absolute dog of a car.

He's good in the wet and off the line. He keeps it on the track and out of the way when being lapped and he does it all with a great deal of maturity and humility considering the environment he must have grown up in.

What more do you want the guy to do?

He's not the 2nd coming but he's no mug either.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:13 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:

Stroll could beat him in wet conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:20 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Stroll could beat him in wet conditions.

How many races are wet?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:59 am 

Jezza13 wrote:

The guy had a podium, a front row start and finished a mere 3 points behind his vastly more experienced team mate in his 1st year of F1 in 2017.

He's good in the wet and off the line. He keeps it on the track and out of the way when being lapped and he does it all with a great deal of maturity and humility considering the environment he must have grown up in.

Exactly this and I am quite surprised the way he's being written off already.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:35 am 

Rockie wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

He was only close to Massa on points because of Massa's bad luck in Baku when second place was nailed on for him. That would have been a 20 point swing to Massa roughly. There were some times when Massa outqualified him by enormous margins too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:15 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

He was only close to Massa on points because of Massa's bad luck in Baku when second place was nailed on for him. That would have been a 20 point swing to Massa roughly. There were some times when Massa outqualified him by enormous margins too.

And? Luck is in the game, Massa had a damper failure, it's not that someone took him out. I'd expect a seasoned driver of Massa's calibre to have a margin over a rookie. There aren't many Hamilton type rookies out there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:07 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

He got out qualified by Sirotkin, that's not good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:29 pm 

Quite amazing actually that Stroll has a podium while Hulkenberg doesn't.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:04 pm 

Covalent wrote:

The Hulk's had plenty of opportunities, given the chance he just seems to get a nose bleed, 2012 in Brazil was in particular a massive fail when a win never mind a podium was there on a plate for him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:30 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

The Hulk's had plenty of opportunities, given the chance he just seems to get a nose bleed, 2012 in Brazil was in particular a massive fail when a win never mind a podium was there on a plate for him.

If I remember rightly he was ahead of Stroll when he binned it in Baku? Hulk is a very good driver and very quick but he is inconsistent and seems to blow it when a big result comes up. His max pace was quicker than Perez at FI but throughout 2015 and 16 he was way less consistent. He finished too many races this season pointless in a car that a driver of his speed should be able to score points in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:34 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

If I remember rightly he was ahead of Stroll when he binned it in Baku? Hulk is a very good driver and very quick but he is inconsistent and seems to blow it when a big result comes up. His max pace was quicker than Perez at FI but throughout 2015 and 16 he was way less consistent. He finished too many races this season pointless in a car that a driver of his speed should be able to score points in.

You remember correctly, doing my competition helps to make you more aware of such things, I picked the Hulk to do well in that race in Baku and he was running quite high up before he crashed much to my consternation.

He comes across as being a very solid and level headed driver but sometimes makes basic errors that you simply don't see with the drivers in the top teams.