Sainz 8%  8%  [ 44 ]
Norris 2%  2%  [ 12 ]
Kvyatt 6%  6%  [ 33 ]
Albon 2%  2%  [ 14 ]
Kubica 5%  5%  [ 28 ]
Russel 5%  5%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 568
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:22 pm 

Who do you predict will be #1 for each team?

Last edited by sandman1347 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:25 pm 

Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen, Ricciardo, Magnussen, Perez, Raikkonen and Sainz. You also missed the Williams drivers! Going for Russell in that one. Not voting for Toro Rosso until we know who TBA is.

Come the end of the season I think Vettel and Leclerc will be the most closely matched pair on the grid performance wise. I can see Verstappen and Gasly being the most on sided team mate battle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:40 pm 

Hamilton
Leclerc
Verstappen
Hulkenberg
Grosjean
Perez
Raikkonen
Sainz
Kvyatt
Kubica

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:13 pm 

Wow even TBA has more votes than Bottas XD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:26 pm 

Hamilton will beat Bottas and then Ocon comfortably.

Vettel and LeClerc will be like Ricciardo and Max in the first season together. So Vettel will win overall.

Max will make Gasly appear to still be in a Toro Rosso.

Ricciardo will beat the Hulk, but it will be close.

This will be Grosjean's last year in the sport, he's too flakey, so my money is on Magnussen

Stroll is no Ocon, so Perez will have no trouble beating Stroll.

Kimi will no longer be constrained by the politics of being a Ferrari driver, even if they were quite liberal this year.

Sainz will beat Norris in the first half of the season, but the second should be closer.

Kyvat will beat TBA, because TBA shows it's literally a "we still have no good options", especially considering Kyvat being the confirmed driver shows how out of options they are.

Russel will beat Kubica. He wouldn't have beaten a pre accident Kubica, but this is a post accident Kubica following 7 seasons out of the sport.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:38 pm 

Hamilton
Vettel
Verstappen
Ricciardo
Grosjean
Perez
Raikkonen
Sainz
Any given Uber or Lyft driver over Kvyatt :twisted:
Russell

Would not mind being wrong on Vettel/Leclerc, Verstappen/Gasly, Ricciardo/Hulkenberg, Grosjean/Magnussen, Raikkonen/Giovinazzi, Sainz/Norris, or Russell/Kubica.

Would not like seeing Bottas, Stroll, or Kvyatt being the best driver on their teams.
1. Bottas being no. 1 would signal a significant fall for Lewis and Mercedes in general.
2. Stroll being no. 1 would signal a victory for money over talent in my mind.
3. Kvyatt means... well I just don't particularly like the guy!

Edit: Hooray for Alex Albon!! If he scores two points next year he will have outscored Kvyatt's 2018 total. :lol:

Last edited by Mort Canard on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:20 am 

JN23 wrote:
I can see Verstappen and Gasly being the most on sided team mate battle.

More than Stroll vs. Perez?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:47 am 

No one willing to take a flyer on Giovinazzi?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:50 am 

There are some here that I'm not sure about, and some that I realise are perhaps slightly unlikely... but my guesses are:

Hamilton
Leclerc
Verstappen
Ricciardo
Grosjean
Perez
Raikkonen
Sainz
Kvyat
Russell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:57 am 

sandman1347 wrote:

Not with how well Kimi has been matching Vettel lately, no. I don't see Antonio as being all that special, although I might be proven wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:21 am 

sandman1347 wrote:

I'll take it. Also, I went with Leclerc, Russell, Albon, lots of young guys apparently. :p

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:27 am 

Exediron wrote:
JN23 wrote:
I can see Verstappen and Gasly being the most on sided team mate battle.

More than Stroll vs. Perez?

Yeah you could have a point but I'm gonna stick with my original prediction.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:07 am 

Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Not with how well Kimi has been matching Vettel lately, no. I don't see Antonio as being all that special, although I might be proven wrong.

Kimi matching Vettel on what planet is that?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:23 am 

Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Kimi's had his best year pace wise relative to Seb, certainly on a Sunday. He's just had the most reliability and strategy gaffes of the pair. Matching maybe not sure about, but he's not been far away at all and its certainly nothing like 2015,16 and 17 when it comes to race pace at least. I read elsewhere it finished 8-8 in two car finishes on race day and Kimi had more podiums. (Might be wrong tbf, I didn't check)

Maybe that says something about Seb's year as well as Kimi's but its been the case from the get go when Kimi was quicker in Australia and compared to previous years he's been pretty good to get 3rd with 4 DNF's. Where his car is and looking at his avg finishing position he's probably got 48-60pts left on the table and he finished 69pts behind Seb who only had one self inflicted DNF.

That seems pretty close overall.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:50 am 

Seems kind of silly posting this thread when we don't even know for certain who the second Toro Rosso driver will be.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:03 pm 

Perez, Verstappen and Hamilton were the easiest three votes. But I'm hopeful that Gasly is good enough not to get completely humiliated.

The Haas choice was a tough pick but I think despite his flaws that Grosjean is better than K-Mag when his head is screwed on.

I've gone for Norris to beat Sainz. If he doesn't then perhaps he isn't all he's cracked up to be. Kvyat is in last chance saloon. He has to beat his teammate whoever that may be.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:26 pm 

- Bottas is a shot duck (sorry Mort) & Hamilton will continue beat him easily
- Vettel to jump out of the blocks early in 2019 but i'd not be surprised to see Leclerc really challenging by mid to late season
- Verstappen owns RB now. Gasly is #2 there & will get pounded
- Ricciardo will beat Hulkenberg
- Perez to top Stroll though i'd like to see Stroll shut a few people up who think he's only in the sport because of his old mans folding.
- Magnussen will top Grosjean
- Sainz to beat Norris though I wouldn't be surprised to see Norris really give him a run for his money
- Raikonnen will beat Gioviazzi
- Russell to beat Kubica though I really really hope i'm wrong here.
- Kvyat vs Albon? Who the hell cares. Kvyat due to his experience.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:32 pm 

Albon mainly because he is not Kvyatt!!!!

Hope he has the talent to thump Verstappen if Gasly can't get the job done!! :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:35 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Matching maybe not sure about, but he's not been far away at all and its certainly nothing like 2015,16 and 17 when it comes to race pace at least.

'Matching up to Vettel' might have been more clear. I meant how well he's been comparing to Vettel, not that he's necessarily equaled him (although when you include mistakes in the equation, I would say he pretty much has equaled him).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:04 am 

Exediron wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Matching maybe not sure about, but he's not been far away at all and its certainly nothing like 2015,16 and 17 when it comes to race pace at least.

'Matching up to Vettel' might have been more clear. I meant how well he's been comparing to Vettel, not that he's necessarily equaled him (although when you include mistakes in the equation, I would say he pretty much has equaled him).

In race pace Vettel is so far ahead its not even comparable, its not as bad as previous years but to say Kimi equalled Seb has to be a joke even accounting for Seb's mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:18 am 

No need to talk about obvious things but I have one pick which might be very unpopular. I think Giovinazzi might be way closer to Kimi than most of people think. He won't win in points as Kimi is very experienced and with good race craft he will bring home more points for sure, but I'm so totally unimpressed by Kimi's pace in recent years that it won't surprise me if this one will be closer than it looks on paper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:26 pm 

Kimi being much closer to Vettel on speed could be entirely down to Vettel not getting on as well with that car. I guess we will never know.

Vettel kept up his rate of good year, bad year since 2010.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:25 pm 

Johnson wrote:
Kimi being much closer to Vettel on speed could be entirely down to Vettel not getting on as well with that car. I guess we will never know.

Vettel kept up his rate of good year, bad year since 2010.

I think it's an illusion, Kimi looks better compared to the rest of the field because it's the best car he's had since 2008, that and numerous mistakes by Vettel gives the appearance of it being closer, Vettel is basically close to the standard 2 tenths that he is quicker than Kimi.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:23 pm 

LH > VB, business as usual
SV > CL, due to experience (at the least)
MV >> PG, although Gasly is one of the more unknown qualities to me
DR >= NH, due to more special/outstanding drives by Ricciardo
KM > RG
KR > AG, as I do not think Giovinazzi is a coming F1 star
CS <= LN, just, and towards the end of the season ...
SP >> LS
GR > RK
DK > AA, Albon is not the brightest talent out there, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:41 pm 

Hamilton, business as usual.

Vettel, just.

Verstappen, but Gasly will have some weekends where he will beat him.

Hulkenberg could be the dark horse for 2019. The new weight regulations benefit him the most of the current drivers. I still think Ricciardo will edge him.

Perez easily.

I think Albon will edge Kvyat

Grosjean vs Magnussen will be decided on who does the least mistakes.

Raikkonen will edge Gio

Sainz will edge Norris this season but Norris will begin beating him towards the end.

Russell will beat Kubica

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:31 am 

Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

In race pace Vettel is so far ahead its not even comparable, its not as bad as previous years but to say Kimi equalled Seb has to be a joke even accounting for Seb's mistake.

I agree with this actually. Generally when both have had clean races, Vettel finishes ahead by quite a margin. There is a bit of romanticism about Kimi's performances because he is leaving Ferrari, but ifour seasons with Vettel is a good enough sample size to suggest he isn't nearly as quick anymore.

In fact if it had been Alonso instead of Vettel as his teammate over these seasons, the gap would have been big enough to be embarassing IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:45 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

I agree with this actually. Generally when both have had clean races, Vettel finishes ahead by quite a margin. There is a bit of romanticism about Kimi's performances because he is leaving Ferrari, but ifour seasons with Vettel is a good enough sample size to suggest he isn't nearly as quick anymore.

In fact if it had been Alonso instead of Vettel as his teammate over these seasons, the gap would have been big enough to be embarassing IMO.

BIB: I'd concur with this. As I mentioned in the TMW thread, a lot of the occasions Kimi has finished ahead this year have coincided with Seb having problems (often his own doing).

China: Seb was spun by Max
Baku: Seb miscalculated his move on Bottas
France: Seb hit Bottas
Austria: Seb got a penalty for blocking Sainz that dropped him behind Kimi on the grid
Germany: Seb crashed out
Italy: Seb spun after contact with Hamilton
Japan: Seb spun after contact with Max
Texas: Seb spun after contact with Ricciardo
Brazil: No excuse here for Seb, he was just slower

That's not to say that on occasion, Kimi wouldn't have finished ahead regardless. In Texas he was on it, Italy too. And while it isn't his fault that Seb had such a messy season while he was generally staying out of trouble, let's not lose sight of the fact that Seb made a lot of mistakes and cost himself a lot of points.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:34 pm 

Only 2 things are written in stone at this point. Bottas and Stroll are gonna get hammered.....
I have voted for the rest and only one thing with odds with others. I think we will see true potential of Hulkenberg next season against Dan.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:09 am 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

BIB: I'd concur with this. As I mentioned in the TMW thread, a lot of the occasions Kimi has finished ahead this year have coincided with Seb having problems (often his own doing).

China: Seb was spun by Max
Baku: Seb miscalculated his move on Bottas
France: Seb hit Bottas
Austria: Seb got a penalty for blocking Sainz that dropped him behind Kimi on the grid
Germany: Seb crashed out
Italy: Seb spun after contact with Hamilton
Japan: Seb spun after contact with Max
Texas: Seb spun after contact with Ricciardo
Brazil: No excuse here for Seb, he was just slower

That's not to say that on occasion, Kimi wouldn't have finished ahead regardless. In Texas he was on it, Italy too. And while it isn't his fault that Seb had such a messy season while he was generally staying out of trouble, let's not lose sight of the fact that Seb made a lot of mistakes and cost himself a lot of points.

Brazil sensor failure so engine turned down.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:14 am 

funkymonkey wrote:
Only 2 things are written in stone at this point. Bottas and Stroll are gonna get hammered.....
I have voted for the rest and only one thing with odds with others. I think we will see true potential of Hulkenberg next season against Dan.

Stroll might surprise a lot of people.

It's normal to dislike rich folks but the kid is got something going for him, in the wet he's good as well and a midfield car might just improve his image and going against a known quantity in Perez.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:19 am 

Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

It's normal to dislike rich folks but the kid is got something going for him, in the wet he's good as well and a midfield car might just improve his image and going against a known quantity in Perez.

I don't think it is a matter of disliking Stroll, more like that Perez is a very good and much more experienced driver.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:25 am 

Siao7 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

I don't think it is a matter of disliking Stroll, more like that Perez is a very good and much more experienced driver.

It is, as if you look at Vettel v LeClerc it has not stopped people saying he's going to thrash Vettel.

People detest Stroll for his fathers money nothing else, hence they don't take into account what he does.

If Ocon had gotten a seat it would have been because of Mercedes money, so no difference.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:43 am 

Rockie wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

It is, as if you look at Vettel v LeClerc it has not stopped people saying he's going to thrash Vettel.

People detest Stroll for his fathers money nothing else, hence they don't take into account what he does.

If Ocon had gotten a seat it would have been because of Mercedes money, so no difference.

I can see why, LeClerc is a highly regarded up-comer and Vettel has had a very error prone year, he's not driving his best at the moment. It is purely based from a driving perspective and not because of money, looks or whatever else.

I'm not arguing that money (and his dad buying a whole team!) has made him a target for some people; only that the comment above about him being thrashed by Perez has some legs, as Perez is a very very good, solid and experienced driver, established in the team. Especially now that he had a role in saving the team, the engineers will be behind him.

Personally I hope we don't get to see any favouritism in the team, that would be a shame.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:01 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

I don't think it's just about Stroll's money. It's the fact that he has proven to be very ordinary, yet is still in F1. In fact he is getting to move up the grid while better drivers have found themselves on the F1 scrapheap (I don't include Ocon in that).

There is a crucial difference. Ocon's Mercedes money and backing was EARNED through strong performances in Karting and junior categories.

Obviously Stroll isn't a total mug. He has a certain level of ability. It just isn't good enough for F1.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:24 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

Leclerc and Ocon are in F1 because of talent, Stroll is in F1 because of money, it's ridiculous to say a driver from a working class background is also in F1 because of money because he managed to get someone to sponsor him based on his results.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:54 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

Leclerc and Ocon are in F1 because of talent, Stroll is in F1 because of money, it's ridiculous to say a driver from a working class background is also in F1 because of money because he managed to get someone to sponsor him based on his results.

This is just nonsense everyone is in F1 because of money without Mercedes sponsoring Ocon he won't be in F1, its not like Stroll does not have good results in junior category.

Working class or rich background has no difference to performance in sports as long as the individual is interested in the sport, you get to start at a young age and if you have a sponsor who can pay for your training it takes you a long way.

Folks like to play this working class background BS without Redbull or Mercedes Vettel and Hamilton will just be fans of F1 as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:01 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

I don't think it's just about Stroll's money. It's the fact that he has proven to be very ordinary, yet is still in F1. In fact he is getting to move up the grid while better drivers have found themselves on the F1 scrapheap (I don't include Ocon in that).

There is a crucial difference. Ocon's Mercedes money and backing was EARNED through strong performances in Karting and junior categories.

Obviously Stroll isn't a total mug. He has a certain level of ability. It just isn't good enough for F1.

And Lawrence Stroll has complained to you that his son has not delivered a return for his investment.

The fact he could finance a team to keep his son in F1 says otherwise.

If Mercedes believed so much in Ocon they would have stomped up cash for 50% of FI and do what Redbull did with TR to get their young drivers into F1.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:40 pm 

Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Rockie wrote:

This is just nonsense everyone is in F1 because of money without Mercedes sponsoring Ocon he won't be in F1, its not like Stroll does not have good results in junior category.

Working class or rich background has no difference to performance in sports as long as the individual is interested in the sport, you get to start at a young age and if you have a sponsor who can pay for your training it takes you a long way.

Folks like to play this working class background BS without Redbull or Mercedes Vettel and Hamilton will just be fans of F1 as well.

Do you think that Ocon would be sitting out next season if his Father was a Billionaire, which F1 team would have signed Stroll just on the back of being F3 Champion, being F3 Champion didn't get a seat straight into F1 for the likes of Rosenqvist, Ocon and Norris.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:43 pm 

Rockie wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Rockie wrote:

And Lawrence Stroll has complained to you that his son has not delivered a return for his investment.

The fact he could finance a team to keep his son in F1 says otherwise.

If Mercedes believed so much in Ocon they would have stomped up cash for 50% of FI and do what Redbull did with TR to get their young drivers into F1.

You think that Mercedes should have bought a F1 team for a junior driver?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:51 pm 

pokerman wrote:
You think that Mercedes should have bought a F1 team for a junior driver?

Not for any one junior driver, no. But for the sake of the program, they either need a junior team or a working agreement with some team lower down the ladder. Even Toto Wolff has admitted that there are serious flaws with their junior program when they can't actually place a driver in F1. Russel got that Williams seat on his own, by all accounts, so has Mercedes actually managed to help a single driver find a seat and stay in F1?