planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:55 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

I asked my translator friend to translate it:

"Just to quickly inform you, I'm sorry to worry you all but I got a thorough check-up at the hospital and I'm ok. The lady in car 25 is ok too. The helmet got some scratches but I was really lucky."

I'll say it again.

A lot of people got so unbelievably lucky yesterday.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:58 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
In a way she was very lucky that bunker was there. If it wasn't, at the speed she was travelling, she probably would have ended up skating along the ground and slamming into a building with no give at a couple of hundred k/hr.

One more observation. Note how long it takes for a Marshal and an emergency team to actually approach her to check on her condition. It may have been shock but they stood around for ages. One went and checked on the condition of the guy that fell under the bunker but no-one really went to see how the driver was.

I think that's another area of the race that needs to be looked at as a result of this accident.

:thumbup: She is also lucky that the bunker was was built as lightly as it was. It functioned as somewhat of a resilient tire wall or an American "safer barrier". You can see the bunker noticeably move as she hit it. That absorbed a lot of energy.

100% this. Had that been a permanent structure, or even something with more weight to it, I can't imagine it would've had anywhere near as much 'give' as it did. And considering the way the car hit it, you can't help but think it wouldn't have been such a (relatively) positive outcome for Sophia. But then that's one of the many, many ways this could've been a much worse outcome. She - and all those who ended up getting hurt - all had luck on their sides, something that we've seen so many times can be the difference between surviving and not surviving these sort of horrible accidents.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:47 pm 

A new video has emerged which shows the start of the crash where she clips with Jehan Daruwala. Sadly, I can't access the clip at the link below but have attached an image which shows because of the tangle with Jehan's car, her front wheels or suspension broke which rendered her brakes useless.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/3455/video-new-footage-shows-cause-of-floersch-crash/?fbclid=IwAR2BAybQYCxVWfw5mfM6lyuZcCxGezPkoG7ZL_YP-iRqmJt-gRNlx8DWbK4

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:38 pm 

Terribly frightening. Thank goodness no one was killed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:51 pm 

Better news. After surgery, we are informed (through her team principal) that there is 'no fear of paralysis.'
Source: BBC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:39 am 

tootsie323 wrote:
Better news. After surgery, we are informed (through her team principal) that there is 'no fear of paralysis.'
Source: BBC

Yes, I saw that as well. Great news! Hopefully we'll also hear that the photographer being monitored in hospital is okay as well.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:07 am 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
In a way she was very lucky that bunker was there. If it wasn't, at the speed she was travelling, she probably would have ended up skating along the ground and slamming into a building with no give at a couple of hundred k/hr.

One more observation. Note how long it takes for a Marshal and an emergency team to actually approach her to check on her condition. It may have been shock but they stood around for ages. One went and checked on the condition of the guy that fell under the bunker but no-one really went to see how the driver was.

I think that's another area of the race that needs to be looked at as a result of this accident.

:thumbup: She is also lucky that the bunker was was built as lightly as it was. It functioned as somewhat of a resilient tire wall or an American "safer barrier". You can see the bunker noticeably move as she hit it. That absorbed a lot of energy.

100% this. Had that been a permanent structure, or even something with more weight to it, I can't imagine it would've had anywhere near as much 'give' as it did. And considering the way the car hit it, you can't help but think it wouldn't have been such a (relatively) positive outcome for Sophia. But then that's one of the many, many ways this could've been a much worse outcome. She - and all those who ended up getting hurt - all had luck on their sides, something that we've seen so many times can be the difference between surviving and not surviving these sort of horrible accidents.

looks similar to Dan Wheldon's accident. Maybe that structure was tougher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:30 pm 

BTW, how come no game contains this race track? Obvious reason would be due to licensing restrictions or on similar grounds but it's an amazing track & loads of history.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:27 am 

holy crap there is a load of luck in this situation. glad there are only, mostly minor, injuries. that car could have ended up in the hotel behind the media structure

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:21 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
BTW, how come no game contains this race track? Obvious reason would be due to licensing restrictions or on similar grounds but it's an amazing track & loads of history.

I have seen this track used in Race Room Experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnD7xZ668yg&t=01s