planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: British Grand Prix news
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:26 pm 

I expect that I'm in a minority but I personally wouldn't mind the British Grand Prix taking place in London if it cannot be at Silverstone anymore, as long as there is a British Grand Prix somewhere, that is the main thing, in my opinion.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13990 ... ilverstone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:31 pm 

I went to the demo run in London all those years ago, and despite it being a resounding success at the time, it pretty much highlighted every single reason why a London based GP will never ever work. The entire city center ground to a standstill, the overcrowding was unbelievable, and the logistics of shutting down all of those roads for a day, let alone an entire weekend proved almost unbearable to the traffic at that time, let alone now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:04 am 

I live in a college town where the roads get shut down once every year for the homecoming football game. It's a royal hassle, and that's only for a fairly local event. I can only imagine how annoying it would be to have your major city shut down for an event you don't watch. I'm not in support of a city center race in any city the size of London - inevitably, upwards of 95% of the people affected won't be F1 fans, and that's just not fair to them.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:51 am 

As much as I'd love a London street race, I really can't see it happening.

Formula e hasn't been back to London since it's first outing mainly because the residents complained about disruption and they didn't shut any streets down at all. Just imagine if half of central London was closed and not just 1 public park!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:00 pm 

It’s possible to run it in London and use park roads, such as outer and inner circle in Regent’s Park could be half the track with a bit coming out into actual streets. Formula e used Battersea Park that is much smaller

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:42 pm 

Well. Considering Chase Carey's words that he doesn't want too lose any of the historical grand prix. And that he wanted Silverstone too be in like March or April next year too have been the 1000th grand prix ever. (Logistics and the 2000 race come too mind put that to the back burner) although I am hopeful that a new reduced deal can be made. If we get too the race weekend next year with no deal announces. Then I fear for the race in the future and how liberty actually take historical raced going forward.