planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:53 pm 

JN23 wrote:
robins13 wrote:

Ferrari was telling Seb that Kimi will be on podium, Sebastian replied as well done.

Didn't hear anything about the podium on the message that was played?

He was told about Kimi's lap time and the position.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:56 pm 

robins13 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
robins13 wrote:

Ferrari was telling Seb that Kimi will be on podium, Sebastian replied as well done.

Fair enough. He still sounded pretty unimpressed (understandably)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:07 pm 

JN23 wrote:
robins13 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
robins13 wrote:

He said well done, how was he pretty unimpressed?

You do realise that's just a bit of the actual conversation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:09 pm 

Rockie wrote:
JN23 wrote:
robins13 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
robins13 wrote:

The tone of his voice, it sounded pretty sarcastic to me. Just my opinion.

And yeah of course I realise it wasn't the whole conversation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:13 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Rockie wrote:

It's a figment of your imagination as its a conversation you are not privy to but you have assumed he was being sarcastic from the little you heard.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:18 pm 

Rockie wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Rockie wrote:

It's a figment of your imagination as its a conversation you are not privy to but you have assumed he was being sarcastic from the little you heard.

Ok, I'll rephrase. Based on what I thought I heard, in my opinion, Vettel's response sounded sarcastic. I'm not having a go at him, it made me laugh.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:56 pm 

A nice little touch from Seb there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MercedesAMGF ... 6661923841

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:11 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:

He is a top guy :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:14 pm 

kleefton wrote:
chetan_rao wrote:
The aero on the Red Bull is quite something. The way Dan pulls away from Seb in the infield is amazing. That car corners like it's on rails with nearly 50 lap old tires.

If they get anything from Honda, anything at all over what Renault has been able to give, they will be dominant next year. Their chassis is the best in F1 since 2009, nobody has been able to match it.

You're going to have to make a believer out of me on that one. Renault and Honda are still quite a ways back on Mercedes and Ferrari Power. The perceived superiority of the RB chassis still won't cover the gap except on a few select tracks.

They will probably be more of a factor in the WDC and the WCC than this year but they will also have young Pierre Gasly to bring along as a novice (novice to the big three front running teams) driver. Both Red Bull and Ferrari have new drivers that will probably not start producing from the start of the season. As mediocre as Valtteri has finished this year I believe that neither Gasly or Leclerc will give him that much trouble as the second driver. I would not mind being proved wrong by either Pierre or Charles on that prediction.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:36 pm 

Vettel got rather teary in the official drivers press conference. He's shown great sportsmanship today but that shows just how much this hurts him.

The pressure will be dialled up another notch next season, how he responds will be the making or breaking of him. There is still time for him to win his own fifth world title and perhaps even more beyond. But he has to find a way to handle that exectation better. He has to establish dominance over Charles.

2017 was a title Vettel COULD have won. 2018 is a title he SHOULD have won. That's why it's so painful for him. Hamilton was brilliant, but this is one that slipped through his fingers a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:38 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
kleefton wrote:
chetan_rao wrote:
The aero on the Red Bull is quite something. The way Dan pulls away from Seb in the infield is amazing. That car corners like it's on rails with nearly 50 lap old tires.

If they get anything from Honda, anything at all over what Renault has been able to give, they will be dominant next year. Their chassis is the best in F1 since 2009, nobody has been able to match it.

You're going to have to make a believer out of me on that one. Renault and Honda are still quite a ways back on Mercedes and Ferrari Power. The perceived superiority of the RB chassis still won't cover the gap except on a few select tracks.

They will probably be more of a factor in the WDC and the WCC than this year but they will also have young Pierre Gasly to bring along as a novice (novice to the big three front running teams) driver. Both Red Bull and Ferrari have new drivers that will probably not start producing from the start of the season. As mediocre as Valtteri has finished this year I believe that neither Gasly or Leclerc will give him that much trouble as the second driver. I would not mind being proved wrong by either Pierre or Charles on that prediction.

They just need to be within 20hp of merc and Ferrari imo. If they do that they will be hard to beat on pace. I think Leclerc will handle Bottas. The one question mark I would have is Gasly. He might be the weak link in the top 6.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:01 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:

Very classy. :thumbup:

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:05 am 

The rule book went out the window completely this race, possibly the oddest race of the hybrid era.

Cars on 45 lap old tyres as fast as cars on 10 lap softer tyres (Vettel vs Ricciardo) and Ferrari's/Red Bulls being 1.0-1.5 seconds per lap quicker than Mercedes on equal aged tyres at certain stages.

The gap to the midfield is stupendous at the moment, after about 30 laps, the Renault running in 7th was 60 seconds behind.

Last edited by Johnson on Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:05 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Oooh that Ricciardo interview. "I Dunno. The car's.... I'll let Gasly drive it. I'm done with it."

I noticed that Ricciardo was absent from Verstappen's victory celebration with the team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:08 am 

Johnson wrote:
The rule book went out the window completely this race, possibly the oddest race of the hybrid era.

Cars on 45 lap old tyres as fast as cars on 10 lap softer tyres (Vettel vs Ricciardo) and Ferrari's/Red Bulls being 1.0-1.5 seconds per lap quicker than Mercedes on equal aged tyres at certain stages.

The gap to the midfield is stupendous at the moment, after about 30 laps, the Renault running in 7th was 60 seconds behind.

Did Mercedes bail on the tyres too early?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:02 am 

Any word on the Red Bull engine power changes Verstappen asked for? Max asked the team to turn the engine down, and his engineer definitely said "we've turned it down". Remotely changing engine modes is very, very much against the rules. :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:08 am 

Danny is so tiddled off with the team. I had a hunch his car wouldn't meet the chequered flag, which is why I didn't include him in the PF1 Top 10 prediction for this race. His car breaking down again can't be a coincidence. Any sane person can now see this!

Last edited by UnlikeUday on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:20 am 

kleefton wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
kleefton wrote:
chetan_rao wrote:

They just need to be within 20hp of merc and Ferrari imo. If they do that they will be hard to beat on pace. I think Leclerc will handle Bottas. The one question mark I would have is Gasly. He might be the weak link in the top 6.

Well, we shall have to see. The only thing we can do now is speculate.

The pace of the Toro Rosso cars so far have not impressed me. I have heard one unsubstantiated estimate that Honda now has 15hp on Renault but they don't seem to be showing it. It's hard to believe that Honda are holding major upgrades back till 2019 for debut with the Red Bull team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:22 am 

Mort Canard wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
kleefton wrote:
chetan_rao wrote:

Well, we shall have to see. The only thing we can do now is speculate.

The pace of the Toro Rosso cars so far have not impressed me. I have heard one unsubstantiated estimate that Honda now has 15hp on Renault but they don't seem to be showing it. It's hard to believe that Honda are holding major upgrades back till 2019 for debut with the Red Bull team.

Agree and I can't for the life of me understand how people think Honda are going to be winning races, or at least challenging for wins just 8 mths into the RB / Honda collaboration after 3 yrs of abysmal results with Macca. Is the RB world that good that they held the answers to the woes of the Honda PU that Honda themselves didn't have after investing a gazillion dollars and spending years testing, evaluating and researching their very own product?

As for saying that if the PU's close enough then the RB chassis will do the rest, we've got new aero regs starting next year that, on the face of it, looks like it'll adversely affect RB more than any other team, and if it comes to the point where the chassis can indeed mostly compensate for the lack of HP, then guess where RB are back to? Thats right, the exact same spot they've been in with Renault for the last 8 or so years and we all know how much RB enjoyed that situation.

If we were to put the Honda PU in the current RB chassis, would it be worse, as good or better than the RB / Renault package is now? IMO no it wouldn't be. It'd be slower and probably just as, if not more fragile considering how, for whatever reason, hard the RB seems to on the Renault PU.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:04 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Agree and I can't for the life of me understand how people think Honda are going to be winning races, or at least challenging for wins just 8 mths into the RB / Honda collaboration after 3 yrs of abysmal results with Macca. Is the RB world that good that they held the answers to the woes of the Honda PU that Honda themselves didn't have after investing a gazillion dollars and spending years testing, evaluating and researching their very own product?

As for saying that if the PU's close enough then the RB chassis will do the rest, we've got new aero regs starting next year that, on the face of it, looks like it'll adversely affect RB more than any other team, and if it comes to the point where the chassis can indeed mostly compensate for the lack of HP, then guess where RB are back to? Thats right, the exact same spot they've been in with Renault for the last 8 or so years and we all know how much RB enjoyed that situation.

If we were to put the Honda PU in the current RB chassis, would it be worse, as good or better than the RB / Renault package is now? IMO no it wouldn't be. It'd be slower and probably just as, if not more fragile considering how, for whatever reason, hard the RB seems to on the Renault PU.

In the long run I have great expectations for Honda in F1. They have won championships before and have the resources to do it again. They have also won many championships in MotoGP. They know how to win.

The question is how quickly they can put together a winning package. Given their current rate of improvement, I don't see any major advancements coming that quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:21 pm 

Wow Vandoorne scored a point. I was not expecting it lol. Kimi strategy was also 1 stop which I thought was a stupid idea but Ferrari got away with it cursing all race. Tyres are so horrible in F1 they need to do something about it. Ricciardo staying ahead may be would have made race more interesting.

Jezza13 wrote:

I think Honda has had a great year with STR. Their best year so far and next year with 4 cars on track I think they will develop even more faster. They seem to be already ahead of Renault in power and reliability.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:32 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
I think Honda has had a great year with STR. Their best year so far and next year with 4 cars on track I think they will develop even more faster. They seem to be already ahead of Renault in power and reliability.

I don't see any proof of that, to be honest. Their reliability is hard to measure when they switch the engine out every other race, and they don't seem to perform any better on power tracks than they do on technical circuits. They're also clearly slower than the Renault teams - with the exception of the one that hasn't been developing their car since Spain. We'll find out next year, but I'd be a little slower to declare their engine already superior to Renault.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:06 am 

Entirely agree, Exediron. I don't understand the Honda hype. Sure they've shown on occasion to be a little better than in previous years - but given they've practically had a season of testing and the car is generally still only just breaking into Q2, I ain't convinced.

Their Suzuka qualifying was pretty darn impressive, which has given me a theory that there is potential in the Honda engine: it can deliver decent power once it's turned up to full beans - but it just doesn't have the reliability to stay at that level more than one lap. Given the occasional good pace at certain tracks (Bahrain, Hungary) I actually think the 2018 STR might be a fairly handy chassis.

I cringe every time Verstappen moans about how bad the Renault engine is because I honestly think he's in for a much harder season in 2019.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:11 am 

According to Jos, Max had a bit of a tanty at the way Ricciardo celebrated his pole lap on Saturday.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/formula-one/max-verstappens-dad-jos-launches-stunning-attack-sons-red-bull-teammate-daniel-ricciardo-after-pole-celebrations/news-story/775e8f9eb960b1f9b0e77c2b562defaa

Thankfully Dad had a chat with him before bedtime and calmed him down. :lol: :lol:

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:16 pm 

Toby. wrote:
Entirely agree, Exediron. I don't understand the Honda hype. Sure they've shown on occasion to be a little better than in previous years - but given they've practically had a season of testing and the car is generally still only just breaking into Q2, I ain't convinced.

Their Suzuka qualifying was pretty darn impressive, which has given me a theory that there is potential in the Honda engine: it can deliver decent power once it's turned up to full beans - but it just doesn't have the reliability to stay at that level more than one lap. Given the occasional good pace at certain tracks (Bahrain, Hungary) I actually think the 2018 STR might be a fairly handy chassis.

I cringe every time Verstappen moans about how bad the Renault engine is because I honestly think he's in for a much harder season in 2019.

He might be frustrated with reliability at times but I think Honda will provide him with more potential to win races.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:17 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
According to Jos, Max had a bit of a tanty at the way Ricciardo celebrated his pole lap on Saturday.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/formula-one/max-verstappens-dad-jos-launches-stunning-attack-sons-red-bull-teammate-daniel-ricciardo-after-pole-celebrations/news-story/775e8f9eb960b1f9b0e77c2b562defaa

Thankfully Dad had a chat with him before bedtime and calmed him down. :lol: :lol:

That must be why Verstappen only got 3 hours sleep? :)