planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:02 pm 

I can't believe that Ricciardo took it from Verstappen.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:02 pm 

Ricc!

What can Max and Lewis do!!!!

Pole RICCIARDO.

Good one mate!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:03 pm 

Whoosh that was exciting. Pleased for Danny Ric

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:03 pm 

Qualifying this season has just been brilliant.

My only criticism is that the format doesn't allow us to see full laps of all the front runners. We get a fragmented experience unfortunately, but it's still been fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:04 pm 

I hate Verstappen's attitude! Crashing heavily into the 2nd place board. It's still the front row and you were lucky enough to have pretty much the best car today. But your team mate beat you. Put up with it. Ricciardo's had to manage Verstappen beating him enough! And blaming the engine problems for 23 tenths. I respect he's a good driver, but the way he talks in and out the car is just terrible. When is he going to grow up?

Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:04 pm 

lucifers wrote:
so the Q2 statistic still remains

What's that statistic?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:05 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
I hate Verstappen's attitude! Crashing heavily into the 2nd place board. It's still the front row and you were lucky enough to have pretty much the best car today. But your team mate beat you. Put up with it. Ricciardo's had to manage Verstappen beating him enough!

Yeah I thought that just showed his immaturity, assuming it wasn't a mistake which I can't imagine it was

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:05 pm 

...and look who denied Max the pole position this time!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:07 pm 

That Ricciardo is pretty good huh?

Should be one hell of a run to T1 tomorrow with the way they're lined up!

Wow! Didn't see that coming! Amazing lap from Daniel.

Looks like this is one record that Max will not break. He had it today but just didn't nail it when it mattered most.

I'm looking forward to the start tomorrow. Hamilton and Vettel will be faster at the start and will have a long drag to the first corner. It might be similar to last year at the first corner.

JN23 wrote:
lucifers wrote:
so the Q2 statistic still remains

What's that statistic?

Whoever is P1 in Q2 doesn't get pole. Its been like this since a couple of races now not sure how many races though

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:09 pm 

Max is stewing and I fear for the race start tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:10 pm 

Cant make it up. I thought Max had this in the bag. I can understand his frustration as he really wanted that record and his first pole. Good job to Ricc. Lewis did well to put it in p3. Here’s hoping for a clean race tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:11 pm 

Congrats to Dan.
Sorry Max - although happy to put Brundle's nose out of joint! haha! good stuff!
Not sure how that will play out tomorrow for the Red Bulls - chased from behind and fighting for the lead.
Vet and Ham together off the line...perhaps the fighting front row will give them the advantage.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:11 pm 

Qualy done:

Source - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqiYLjcXgAAmnMW.jpg:large

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:12 pm 

Invade wrote:
Max is stewing and I fear for the race start tomorrow.

He'll whack Ricciardo, who will spin backward into Vettel, knocking him to the back of the grid...and it will all be Vettel's fault. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:18 pm 

even vettel doesn't believe the redbulls will keep it clean going into turn 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:26 pm 

Yes Ricciardo!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:49 pm 

After Raikkonen's popular victory last weekend, this would be another popular victory if Dan can pull it off tomorrow. It will be good to finally see the Bulls go wheel to wheel again. It's been too long.

There's a cigarette paper betwen Merc and Ferrari here. They could well end up making it easier for Red Bull by getting in there own squabbles. But any one of the top 6 could win this if they play their cards right.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:03 pm 

I gotta say I'm a little happy Max didn't get the record as that Vettel and TR pole needs to stand for people to remember when minnows could still cut it in F1.

Also big congratulations to Danny Ric he played a blinder there allow Max to give it his all, the commentators failed to take in the fact on the two runs he was the fastest of anybody in S3 and didn't push too hard in S1 on the first run.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:41 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:

Looks like this is one record that Max will not break. He had it today but just didn't nail it when it mattered most.

I'm looking forward to the start tomorrow. Hamilton and Vettel will be faster at the start and will have a long drag to the first corner. It might be similar to last year at the first corner.

I can't see there not being a collision

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:50 pm 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Do you suppose Red Bull is going to have a 'don't challenge into the first corner' agreement? Considering Baku, they must be desperate to keep their drivers from fighting too hard and costing a likely 1-2.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:55 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Do you suppose Red Bull is going to have a 'don't challenge into the first corner' agreement? Considering Baku, they must be desperate to keep their drivers from fighting too hard and costing a likely 1-2.

I feel like even if they try and implement that it won't be successful. Ricciardo is off so won't to know and Verstappen is Verstappen so won't want to know.

I agree with Poker, I can't see all of the top four getting through the first four(?) corners without a collision between some of them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:14 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

They each want to win the race, it's going to be a case of a rock and a hard place and then you have the clumsiness of Vettel thrown into the mix, Hamilton will try and keep out of trouble but probably get clobbered again like he did last year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:39 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

They each want to win the race, it's going to be a case of a rock and a hard place and then you have the clumsiness of Vettel thrown into the mix, Hamilton will try and keep out of trouble but probably get clobbered again like he did last year.

:thumbup: :nod:

I am hoping that Lewis can keep out of trouble. He manages to stay out of wrecks pretty often but sooner or later everyone gets clobbered.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:08 am 

JN23 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I feel like even if they try and implement that it won't be successful. Ricciardo is off so won't to know and Verstappen is Verstappen so won't want to know.

I agree with Poker, I can't see all of the top four getting through the first four(?) corners without a collision between some of them.

It would also be logistically very difficult to implement as a fast starting Hamilton or Vettel could nab the lead if the RBs tiptoe around each other.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:09 am 

Just watching the side by side onboard of the lap, Verstappen seems to be able to get Ricciardo in the heavy braking corners, with the exception of turn 5, while Ricciardo bests Verstappen in the medium to high speed corners.

Verstappen was over 2/10ths up after turn 3. Ricciardo made up that time plus a bit more through the sweeper section.

I wonder if that's due to driving style, although they're both great under braking, or car set up, or maybe a bit of both.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.onboard-comparison-how-ricciardo-beat-verstappen-to-pole-in-mexico.Bd5pTmMs4okmQEUseuao8.html

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:10 am 

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:27 am 

To answer the question of who will collide between the top four, clearly it's going to be Hamilton and Ricciardo:

Bahrain: Hamilton / Verstappen
Baku: Ricciardo / Verstappen
Monza: Hamilton / Vettel
Suzuka: Vettel / Verstappen
Austin: Ricciardo / Vettel

Therefore, as the only pairing missing:

Mexico: Hamilton / Ricciardo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:34 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
To answer the question of who will collide between the top four, clearly it's going to be Hamilton and Ricciardo:

I think they haven't hit each other yet because they're both clean drivers, and they need a Verstappen or Vettel type to cause the collision...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:44 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Just watching the side by side onboard of the lap, Verstappen seems to be able to get Ricciardo in the heavy braking corners, with the exception of turn 5, while Ricciardo bests Verstappen in the medium to high speed corners.

Verstappen was over 2/10ths up after turn 3. Ricciardo made up that time plus a bit more through the sweeper section.

I wonder if that's due to driving style, although they're both great under braking, or car set up, or maybe a bit of both.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.onboard-comparison-how-ricciardo-beat-verstappen-to-pole-in-mexico.Bd5pTmMs4okmQEUseuao8.html

Nice to see that, after the usual Ferrari vs Merc where Ferrari always claws back time in the straights and merc in the high speeds.

Showcases how strong Max is under braking, and why Ricciardo is known to have "huge balls" in the high speed corners.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:39 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Hamilton is neither aggressive nor needs to be when he just needs to finish in the top 7 for the crown. Verstappen is probably bound to be aggressive as he always carries the 'who dares wins' attitude.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:45 am 

kleefton wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Nice to see that, after the usual Ferrari vs Merc where Ferrari always claws back time in the straights and merc in the high speeds.

Showcases how strong Max is under braking, and why Ricciardo is known to have "huge balls" in the high speed corners.

What I noticed about that is: Max says he lost pole due to a problem with his engine braking, but that's clearly not true. He lost pole because he was weaker through the high speed corners - he didn't lose any time to Ricciardo under braking.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:54 am 

Exediron wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

What I noticed about that is: Max says he lost pole due to a problem with his engine braking, but that's clearly not true. He lost pole because he was weaker through the high speed corners - he didn't lose any time to Ricciardo under braking.

Yeah thought the same & wondered if his "enging braking" issue is his version of Vettels " cracked chassis".

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:11 am 

Exediron wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Considering Max's over inflated ego, he'd never point the finger to himself. Rather point to some small issue which most of us fans could never know the truth or details of. We can just keep scratching our heads thinking "Oh, a software glitch that resulted in poor off-throttle response"!

Yesterday in the interview after qualy, he was acting like a sore loser. He's just 21 & has a decade's worth of racing where he will achieve loads of success. He's not in Alonso's shoes where he'll be retiring from F1 & has just 3 races to prove so much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:03 am 

Exediron wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Perhaps without the engine braking issue he would've gained time on Ricciardo under braking?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:38 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Perhaps without the engine braking issue he would've gained time on Ricciardo under braking?

Maybe, but it's still true that he would have had pole if he'd just matched Ricciardo in the middle sector. He can say the engine issue cost him pole, and maybe it did - but he had the ability to take pole with the braking performance he had if he'd just driven a smidgen better in the high speed corners. Blaming it on the car doesn't seem accurate in this case.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:45 am 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Maybe, but it's still true that he would have had pole if he'd just matched Ricciardo in the middle sector. He can say the engine issue cost him pole, and maybe it did - but he had the ability to take pole with the braking performance he had if he'd just driven a smidgen better in the high speed corners. Blaming it on the car doesn't seem accurate in this case.

Unless he has a different setup to Ricciardo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:56 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Exediron wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Considering Max's over inflated ego, he'd never point the finger to himself. Rather point to some small issue which most of us fans could never know the truth or details of. We can just keep scratching our heads thinking "Oh, a software glitch that resulted in poor off-throttle response"!

Yesterday in the interview after qualy, he was acting like a sore loser. He's just 21 & has a decade's worth of racing where he will achieve loads of success. He's not in Alonso's shoes where he'll be retiring from F1 & has just 3 races to prove so much.

To be fair to Max people are comparing apples to oranges here as they are looking at his 1st run against a track evolution aided Ricciardo 2nd run. It was on Max’s 2nd run that he encountered problems.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:58 am 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

I think the dodgy English translation of this article is saying that Ricciardo had an engine breaking issue and Ricciardo coped better with it:
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... pen-frust/