It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:08 am 

Ricciardo vs Verstappen Qualifying Laps Compared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nX9K42f9S8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:46 am 

How can anyone like Verstappen's personality? Even though i know he is a good driver, i don't think i will ever get to appreciate his skill fully purely because of his awful attitude. Then crashing into the 2nd place post when he's lucky enough to have the best car on this occasion as if he's been unlucky. But the stupid thing is, he's complaining about problems with the car the whole session afterwards to the media. You actually hear the team telling him that his lap is very good and Verstappen mentioned no problems. He only had problems because Ricciardo beat him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:17 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
How can anyone like Verstappen's personality? Even though i know he is a good driver, i don't think i will ever get to appreciate his skill fully purely because of his awful attitude. Then crashing into the 2nd place post when he's lucky enough to have the best car on this occasion as if he's been unlucky. But the stupid thing is, he's complaining about problems with the car the whole session afterwards to the media. You actually hear the team telling him that his lap is very good and Verstappen mentioned no problems. He only had problems because Ricciardo beat him.

I'm never quite sure why people ask questions like that other than as a projection of a very self-centered subjectivity. I might as well ask something like how can anyone like Bottas' personality, he's so bland that all that's left is utter indifference. All these guys have different traits and make-up which people will gravitate toward. Personally, Max does annoy me yes but some aggressive and immature idiosyncrasies hardly has to be the be all and end all. So yeah, not really getting the question which comes across as more of a plea than anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:20 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I like his bullishness.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:31 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I like his bullishness.

There's a difference between being bullish and being a self absorbed, entitled, spoilt prat who's father lives vicariously through him but I blame Jos for his faults more than him.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:03 pm 

Red bull losing a second on all the straights to Ferrari 8O

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:05 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I like his bullishness.

There's a difference between being bullish and being a self absorbed, entitled, spoilt prat who's father lives vicariously through him but I blame Jos for his faults more than him.

To be honest I'm not too fussed what any of their personalities are like. I want to see exciting racing drivers. I'm not expecting mother Theresa or Mandela.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:09 pm 

Clarky wrote:

These new comparisons are fantastic. The one from Austin between Vettel and Hamilton was incredible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:48 pm 

Clarky wrote:

Thanks!!!

Max appeared to be ahead for about the first two thirds of the lap.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:49 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

This incident proves Max had brake issues which cost him the pole:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:55 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I don't understand what you are implying? Where does it say brake issues? All I see is "The difference 0.026 makes. I heard the team say he did a good lap and it was only him that started to complain once Ricciardo beat him. Him not being better than Ricciardo cost him pole.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:06 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I don't understand what you are implying? Where does it say brake issues? All I see is "The difference 0.026 makes. I heard the team say he did a good lap and it was only him that started to complain once Ricciardo beat him. Him not being better than Ricciardo cost him pole.

Was being sarcastic! Did You see the video as to why I was being sarcastic?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:09 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:

Assuming Vettel can stick with them through the corners it should be set up nicely for some action. The Ferrari opting for lower downforce means it's likely the Red Bull will pull away a bit in the last sector but with that straight line speed so long as Vettel can get within a second he should have a run into T1.

The Red Bull advantage in S3 vs the Ferrari advantage on the main straight should in theory mean any move will have to be done on the brakes, hopefully no DRS fly-by halfway down the straight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:16 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

:lol: Humour so often evades the internet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:32 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Assuming Vettel can stick with them through the corners it should be set up nicely for some action. The Ferrari opting for lower downforce means it's likely the Red Bull will pull away a bit in the last sector but with that straight line speed so long as Vettel can get within a second he should have a run into T1.

The Red Bull advantage in S3 vs the Ferrari advantage on the main straight should in theory mean any move will have to be done on the brakes, hopefully no DRS fly-by halfway down the straight.

I don't think Vettel will get close enough but I hope I'm wrong. Needs a 2 stop race which barely ever happens or rain. If it did go to a 2 stopper then Mercedes would be in trouble with just 1 set of new tyres on both cars.

Sector 3 is absolutely terrible for racing, if you sort out the last sector then you might even be able to get away with not having DRS. Yes it's great for the fans but it's only good for so many laps, would rather see racing. Similar to Hungary, Spain and Australia who all need to change up sector 3.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:12 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

ok, i think my browser blocks things from other sites. Maybe i will have understood if I saw everything. I often wondered why you often post nothing and it will be my browser blocking twitter images and videos :lol: Now I have enabled everything and can see the link, yes i do get what you mean. I was thinking you had a video somewhere that had the team confirm Verstappen was behind Ricciardo because of issues!

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:18 pm 

Glad Ricciardo got pole. This is a good chance for him. Next 2 yrs in Renault will be tough. Max never accepts he has always something to blame.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:14 pm 

Exediron wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Just watching the side by side onboard of the lap, Verstappen seems to be able to get Ricciardo in the heavy braking corners, with the exception of turn 5, while Ricciardo bests Verstappen in the medium to high speed corners.

Verstappen was over 2/10ths up after turn 3. Ricciardo made up that time plus a bit more through the sweeper section.

I wonder if that's due to driving style, although they're both great under braking, or car set up, or maybe a bit of both.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.onboard-comparison-how-ricciardo-beat-verstappen-to-pole-in-mexico.Bd5pTmMs4okmQEUseuao8.html

Nice to see that, after the usual Ferrari vs Merc where Ferrari always claws back time in the straights and merc in the high speeds.

Showcases how strong Max is under braking, and why Ricciardo is known to have "huge balls" in the high speed corners.

What I noticed about that is: Max says he lost pole due to a problem with his engine braking, but that's clearly not true. He lost pole because he was weaker through the high speed corners - he didn't lose any time to Ricciardo under braking.

That is a great point. He was obviously lying. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:54 pm 

lucifers wrote:
JN23 wrote:
lucifers wrote:
so the Q2 statistic still remains

What's that statistic?

Whoever is P1 in Q2 doesn't get pole. Its been like this since a couple of races now not sure how many races though

Just checked this and last person to get pole after being quickest in Q2 was Hamilton in Britain. So this is now a nine race streak. No idea whether that's some sort of record.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:27 pm 

JN23 wrote:
lucifers wrote:
JN23 wrote:
lucifers wrote:
so the Q2 statistic still remains

What's that statistic?

Whoever is P1 in Q2 doesn't get pole. Its been like this since a couple of races now not sure how many races though

Just checked this and last person to get pole after being quickest in Q2 was Hamilton in Britain. So this is now a nine race streak. No idea whether that's some sort of record.

It's because the top three teams usually do their lap on the slower tyre, or are doing a lap within limits because it's what they will be starting on.