planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:23 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:30 pm 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Obviously you have to stick to the rules but rules for rules sake is unhelpful. Whatever you say it does damage the show and therefore the sport. Other sport bend over backwards to avoid that happening.

I don't watch football, but in hockey a puck can bounce off a player's stick in a bad way and go into the audience and it's called Delay of Game. They get a penalty for it, and the other team gets a 2 minute advantage. It can happen completely by accident, and it can change the game. Nobody complains about it because they accept that the team broke the rules.

I honestly don't see why anyone thinks what Vettel did shouldn't get a penalty, but I guess you do and I can't question that - only disagree with it.

It's the rule I have a bigger issue with than the penalty. Sadly the precedent was already set for the penalty although I think a fine/points on the licence would be more appropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:35 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
After FP3 I think it's possible the Ferrari upgrade package has once again changed the pecking order. I can't predict what will happen in qualifying (especially if it's dry).

If your referring to the new floor they weren't using it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:40 pm 

If the rule exists, it has to be applied consistently and fairly. This is what the stewards appear to have done. When Sebastian broke the rule he became eligible for the penalty. Period! End of story!!!

I don't like the idea that Seb broke the rule and for the sake of competition, I don't like that he got a penalty. Still when he broke the rule this is what needs to happen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:45 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Obviously you have to stick to the rules but rules for rules sake is unhelpful. Whatever you say it does damage the show and therefore the sport. Other sport bend over backwards to avoid that happening.

I don't watch football, but in hockey a puck can bounce off a player's stick in a bad way and go into the audience and it's called Delay of Game. They get a penalty for it, and the other team gets a 2 minute advantage. It can happen completely by accident, and it can change the game. Nobody complains about it because they accept that the team broke the rules.

I honestly don't see why anyone thinks what Vettel did shouldn't get a penalty, but I guess you do and I can't question that - only disagree with it.

It's the rule I have a bigger issue with than the penalty. Sadly the precedent was already set for the penalty although I think a fine/points on the licence would be more appropriate.

I can see the penalty points, since that's something that punishes the driver and will probably result in the rule being respected. Fines are useless: any F1 driver can pay $50,000 out of pocket any time they speed, and it won't change their behavior in the slightest.

Ultimately however, if you want a rule to be respected it pretty much needs a sporting penalty. Otherwise, they'll just break it when convenient.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:12 pm 

Verstappen has problems...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:15 pm 

It is looking like Verstappen is ignoring his team. they ahve just played back to us that they told him to pull off. It was seen that he ran wide and damaged his car. He is just too aggressive... No matter how good he is, he needs to stop trying this hard.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:19 pm 

Anyone know how Grosjean managed to purple the first sector?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:20 pm 

Nose changed nothing for Macca, still last.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:21 pm 

I really do think McLaren are currently right there with Williams as the worst car out there. Slightly better chassis but a worse PU.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:22 pm 

JN23 wrote:

I think that as some people say, that car is really really good. And Grosjean and Magnussen only sometimes get close to the maximum it can do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:22 pm 

Honda impressing with the new upgrade. Very interested to see how they get on in the Red Bull next year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:24 pm 

JN23 wrote:

Top 3 teams cruising, Haas in contention for best car of the rest behind them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:24 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
JN23 wrote:

I think that as some people say, that car is really really good. And Grosjean and Magnussen only sometimes get close to the maximum it can do.

Yeah I think you could be right. I wonder if Haas tried to get Perez as he would definitely have been a step up from those two. Sainz would also have been a step up IMO who is moving teams so might have been available.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:25 pm 

Honda power continuing to frustrate Alonso...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:26 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
I really do think McLaren are currently right there with Williams as the worst car out there. Slightly better chassis but a worse PU.

Yeah worst package basically in 5 of the last 6. (Spa,Italy,Russia,Japan and US).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:31 pm 

why is Hamilton going again on the same set of tyres

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:35 pm 

Perhaps because he wants to start on those tyres.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:41 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
It is looking like Verstappen is ignoring his team. they ahve just played back to us that they told him to pull off. It was seen that he ran wide and damaged his car. He is just too aggressive... No matter how good he is, he needs to stop trying this hard.

Indeed. Just like Hamilton and Sainz, and the other half of the field. Just too aggressive.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:47 pm 

lucifers wrote:

He should never have put another lap on those tires.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:50 pm 

I'm predicting a Kimi pole.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:50 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
lucifers wrote:

He should never have put another lap on those tires.

Really unusual. He was never going to be in danger even with that scruffy first lap.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 pm 

Ferrari are right there again

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:56 pm 

Great banker lap from Sebastian. Inch perfect. He's so up and down this year...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:01 pm 

That was an exciting Q3. Cars seem pretty evenly matched on qualy pace.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:02 pm 

Super close at the front, did Hamilton run wide at the same point Gasly got his lap disallowed for though?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 pm 

I wish when Hamilton finished his lap they'd have showed more of the end of Vettel's rather than Hamilton cruising towards turn one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:05 pm 

He ran quite wide at turn 9 but that was it I think.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:05 pm 

Did Ferrari run the new floor or not?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:07 pm 

JN23 wrote:
I wish when Hamilton finished his lap they'd have showed more of the end of Vettel's rather than Hamilton cruising towards turn one.

They didn't give Seb much screen time in Q3 (probably due to the penalty)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:08 pm 

Wow super close. It's frustrating for Vettel with that 6 hundreths he missed out on 'pole' by dropping him behind Ricciardo. Raikkonen starting on ultras could be fun, he could be a real nuisance to Hamilton if he gets a good start.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:09 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Wow super close. It's frustrating for Vettel with that 6 hundreths he missed out on 'pole' by dropping him behind Ricciardo. Raikkonen starting on ultras could be fun, he could be a real nuisance to Hamilton if he gets a good start.

Raikkonen on Ultras and Hamilton on SS tires that have an extra two laps on them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:09 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

They didn't give Seb much screen time in Q3 (probably due to the penalty)

Good point about the penalty.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:13 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Super close at the front, did Hamilton run wide at the same point Gasly got his lap disallowed for though?

Bit confusing because they showed highlights of Gasly running wide at T9 (With Max and Dan) but he was actually penalised for running wide at T19. Lewis went wide at at T9 too, as did several others it seems.

No idea why some are ok and others not but they were all at it on T9.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:17 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Bit confusing because they showed highlights of Gasly running wide at T9 (With Max and Dan) but he was actually penalised for running wide at T19. Lewis went wide at at T9 too, as did several others it seems.

Yeah Channel 4 said that for whatever reason, the drivers are allowed to run wide a bit at turn 9. No idea why though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:18 pm 

Vettel says he should have been on pole. Ferrari are very quick here. What exactly happened in the previous 2 races!?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

What gets me, particularly with the C4 commentary, is that it's well known that Turn 19 is a corner you can't go wide at, so when they kept banging on about Turn 9, I thought that it meant the FIA had extended it to that corner. Until, no, it turns out it's just Turn 19 like every other year since they introduced it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 pm 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I can see the penalty points, since that's something that punishes the driver and will probably result in the rule being respected. Fines are useless: any F1 driver can pay $50,000 out of pocket any time they speed, and it won't change their behavior in the slightest.

Ultimately however, if you want a rule to be respected it pretty much needs a sporting penalty. Otherwise, they'll just break it when convenient.

Speeding in the pitlane in a practice session is only punished by a fine, and I would argue that is a more dangerous offence than what Vettel did. This however hasn't resulted in all the drivers speeding through the pits on Fridays because, as with exceeding this red flag speed limit, there is no competitive advantage to be had from doing so. I don't see why Vettel's very minor transgression should result in a grid penalty.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:28 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

What gets me, particularly with the C4 commentary, is that it's well known that Turn 19 is a corner you can't go wide at, so when they kept banging on about Turn 9, I thought that it meant the FIA had extended it to that corner. Until, no, it turns out it's just Turn 19 like every other year since they introduced it.

Sky were doing their best to confuse with the replays as well, it's strange. I think they mentioned a support race was penalising T9 which might explain some of the commentators confusion but I certainly don't remember T9 being punished in F1 before, just T19 as you say.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:29 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Ah gotcha.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:29 pm 

:thumbup: