planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:23 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14223
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Obviously you have to stick to the rules but rules for rules sake is unhelpful. Whatever you say it does damage the show and therefore the sport. Other sport bend over backwards to avoid that happening.

I don't watch football, but in hockey a puck can bounce off a player's stick in a bad way and go into the audience and it's called Delay of Game. They get a penalty for it, and the other team gets a 2 minute advantage. It can happen completely by accident, and it can change the game. Nobody complains about it because they accept that the team broke the rules.

I honestly don't see why anyone thinks what Vettel did shouldn't get a penalty, but I guess you do and I can't question that - only disagree with it.


It's the rule I have a bigger issue with than the penalty. Sadly the precedent was already set for the penalty although I think a fine/points on the licence would be more appropriate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 4317
Location: LONDON...!
sandman1347 wrote:
After FP3 I think it's possible the Ferrari upgrade package has once again changed the pecking order. I can't predict what will happen in qualifying (especially if it's dry).

If your referring to the new floor they weren't using it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 542
Location: Kansas
If the rule exists, it has to be applied consistently and fairly. This is what the stewards appear to have done. When Sebastian broke the rule he became eligible for the penalty. Period! End of story!!!

I don't like the idea that Seb broke the rule and for the sake of competition, I don't like that he got a penalty. Still when he broke the rule this is what needs to happen.

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6074
Location: Michigan, USA
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Obviously you have to stick to the rules but rules for rules sake is unhelpful. Whatever you say it does damage the show and therefore the sport. Other sport bend over backwards to avoid that happening.

I don't watch football, but in hockey a puck can bounce off a player's stick in a bad way and go into the audience and it's called Delay of Game. They get a penalty for it, and the other team gets a 2 minute advantage. It can happen completely by accident, and it can change the game. Nobody complains about it because they accept that the team broke the rules.

I honestly don't see why anyone thinks what Vettel did shouldn't get a penalty, but I guess you do and I can't question that - only disagree with it.

It's the rule I have a bigger issue with than the penalty. Sadly the precedent was already set for the penalty although I think a fine/points on the licence would be more appropriate.

I can see the penalty points, since that's something that punishes the driver and will probably result in the rule being respected. Fines are useless: any F1 driver can pay $50,000 out of pocket any time they speed, and it won't change their behavior in the slightest.

Ultimately however, if you want a rule to be respected it pretty much needs a sporting penalty. Otherwise, they'll just break it when convenient.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 459
Location: Stratford
Verstappen has problems...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 1497
It is looking like Verstappen is ignoring his team. they ahve just played back to us that they told him to pull off. It was seen that he ran wide and damaged his car. He is just too aggressive... No matter how good he is, he needs to stop trying this hard.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 459
Location: Stratford
Anyone know how Grosjean managed to purple the first sector?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 4895
Nose changed nothing for Macca, still last.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5548
I really do think McLaren are currently right there with Williams as the worst car out there. Slightly better chassis but a worse PU.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 1497
JN23 wrote:
Anyone know how Grosjean managed to purple the first sector?

I think that as some people say, that car is really really good. And Grosjean and Magnussen only sometimes get close to the maximum it can do.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7518
Honda impressing with the new upgrade. Very interested to see how they get on in the Red Bull next year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7518
JN23 wrote:
Anyone know how Grosjean managed to purple the first sector?

Top 3 teams cruising, Haas in contention for best car of the rest behind them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 459
Location: Stratford
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Anyone know how Grosjean managed to purple the first sector?

I think that as some people say, that car is really really good. And Grosjean and Magnussen only sometimes get close to the maximum it can do.


Yeah I think you could be right. I wonder if Haas tried to get Perez as he would definitely have been a step up from those two. Sainz would also have been a step up IMO who is moving teams so might have been available.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3204
Honda power continuing to frustrate Alonso...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 4895
sandman1347 wrote:
I really do think McLaren are currently right there with Williams as the worst car out there. Slightly better chassis but a worse PU.


Yeah worst package basically in 5 of the last 6. (Spa,Italy,Russia,Japan and US).

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:33 pm
Posts: 344
why is Hamilton going again on the same set of tyres


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 879
Location: UK
Perhaps because he wants to start on those tyres.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:28 pm
Posts: 100
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
It is looking like Verstappen is ignoring his team. they ahve just played back to us that they told him to pull off. It was seen that he ran wide and damaged his car. He is just too aggressive... No matter how good he is, he needs to stop trying this hard.

Indeed. Just like Hamilton and Sainz, and the other half of the field. Just too aggressive.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5548
lucifers wrote:
why is Hamilton going again on the same set of tyres

He should never have put another lap on those tires.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 459
Location: Stratford
I'm predicting a Kimi pole.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 318
sandman1347 wrote:
lucifers wrote:
why is Hamilton going again on the same set of tyres

He should never have put another lap on those tires.


Really unusual. He was never going to be in danger even with that scruffy first lap.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5548
Ferrari are right there again


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5548
Great banker lap from Sebastian. Inch perfect. He's so up and down this year...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 459
Location: Stratford
That was an exciting Q3. Cars seem pretty evenly matched on qualy pace.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7518
Super close at the front, did Hamilton run wide at the same point Gasly got his lap disallowed for though?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 459
Location: Stratford
I wish when Hamilton finished his lap they'd have showed more of the end of Vettel's rather than Hamilton cruising towards turn one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 5226
He ran quite wide at turn 9 but that was it I think.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5548
Did Ferrari run the new floor or not?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5548
JN23 wrote:
I wish when Hamilton finished his lap they'd have showed more of the end of Vettel's rather than Hamilton cruising towards turn one.

They didn't give Seb much screen time in Q3 (probably due to the penalty)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 318
Wow super close. It's frustrating for Vettel with that 6 hundreths he missed out on 'pole' by dropping him behind Ricciardo. Raikkonen starting on ultras could be fun, he could be a real nuisance to Hamilton if he gets a good start.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5548
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Wow super close. It's frustrating for Vettel with that 6 hundreths he missed out on 'pole' by dropping him behind Ricciardo. Raikkonen starting on ultras could be fun, he could be a real nuisance to Hamilton if he gets a good start.

Raikkonen on Ultras and Hamilton on SS tires that have an extra two laps on them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 459
Location: Stratford
sandman1347 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
I wish when Hamilton finished his lap they'd have showed more of the end of Vettel's rather than Hamilton cruising towards turn one.

They didn't give Seb much screen time in Q3 (probably due to the penalty)


Good point about the penalty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 4895
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Super close at the front, did Hamilton run wide at the same point Gasly got his lap disallowed for though?


Bit confusing because they showed highlights of Gasly running wide at T9 (With Max and Dan) but he was actually penalised for running wide at T19. Lewis went wide at at T9 too, as did several others it seems.

No idea why some are ok and others not but they were all at it on T9.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 318
Lotus49 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Super close at the front, did Hamilton run wide at the same point Gasly got his lap disallowed for though?


Bit confusing because they showed highlights of Gasly running wide at T9 (With Max and Dan) but he was actually penalised for running wide at T19. Lewis went wide at at T9 too, as did several others it seems.

No idea why some are ok and others not but they were all at it on T9.



Yeah Channel 4 said that for whatever reason, the drivers are allowed to run wide a bit at turn 9. No idea why though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5548
Vettel says he should have been on pole. Ferrari are very quick here. What exactly happened in the previous 2 races!?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3204
Lotus49 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Super close at the front, did Hamilton run wide at the same point Gasly got his lap disallowed for though?


Bit confusing because they showed highlights of Gasly running wide at T9 (With Max and Dan) but he was actually penalised for running wide at T19. Lewis went wide at at T9 too, as did several others it seems.

No idea why some are ok and others not but they were all at it on T9.

What gets me, particularly with the C4 commentary, is that it's well known that Turn 19 is a corner you can't go wide at, so when they kept banging on about Turn 9, I thought that it meant the FIA had extended it to that corner. Until, no, it turns out it's just Turn 19 like every other year since they introduced it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2933
Location: UK
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Obviously you have to stick to the rules but rules for rules sake is unhelpful. Whatever you say it does damage the show and therefore the sport. Other sport bend over backwards to avoid that happening.

I don't watch football, but in hockey a puck can bounce off a player's stick in a bad way and go into the audience and it's called Delay of Game. They get a penalty for it, and the other team gets a 2 minute advantage. It can happen completely by accident, and it can change the game. Nobody complains about it because they accept that the team broke the rules.

I honestly don't see why anyone thinks what Vettel did shouldn't get a penalty, but I guess you do and I can't question that - only disagree with it.

It's the rule I have a bigger issue with than the penalty. Sadly the precedent was already set for the penalty although I think a fine/points on the licence would be more appropriate.

I can see the penalty points, since that's something that punishes the driver and will probably result in the rule being respected. Fines are useless: any F1 driver can pay $50,000 out of pocket any time they speed, and it won't change their behavior in the slightest.

Ultimately however, if you want a rule to be respected it pretty much needs a sporting penalty. Otherwise, they'll just break it when convenient.

Speeding in the pitlane in a practice session is only punished by a fine, and I would argue that is a more dangerous offence than what Vettel did. This however hasn't resulted in all the drivers speeding through the pits on Fridays because, as with exceeding this red flag speed limit, there is no competitive advantage to be had from doing so. I don't see why Vettel's very minor transgression should result in a grid penalty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 4895
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Super close at the front, did Hamilton run wide at the same point Gasly got his lap disallowed for though?


Bit confusing because they showed highlights of Gasly running wide at T9 (With Max and Dan) but he was actually penalised for running wide at T19. Lewis went wide at at T9 too, as did several others it seems.

No idea why some are ok and others not but they were all at it on T9.

What gets me, particularly with the C4 commentary, is that it's well known that Turn 19 is a corner you can't go wide at, so when they kept banging on about Turn 9, I thought that it meant the FIA had extended it to that corner. Until, no, it turns out it's just Turn 19 like every other year since they introduced it.


Sky were doing their best to confuse with the replays as well, it's strange. I think they mentioned a support race was penalising T9 which might explain some of the commentators confusion but I certainly don't remember T9 being punished in F1 before, just T19 as you say.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7518
Lotus49 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Super close at the front, did Hamilton run wide at the same point Gasly got his lap disallowed for though?


Bit confusing because they showed highlights of Gasly running wide at T9 (With Max and Dan) but he was actually penalised for running wide at T19. Lewis went wide at at T9 too, as did several others it seems.

No idea why some are ok and others not but they were all at it on T9.

Ah gotcha.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 4895
:thumbup:

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DOLOMITE, tootsie323 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group