All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:59 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mr.Wojo wrote:
Since we all like to play the what if game; in your opinion do you think that Michael Schumacher at 31 years of age would have won while driving this years Ferrari?

Depends how dominant Merc are for the remaining races.

Yeah, agreed. Peak Schumacher would have been leading the title going into Russia. Whether he'd be able to win it or not depends on what happens for the rest of the year. Merc's form post-Belgium is very strong, and I no longer consider Ferrari to have the better car.

One thing you must ALWAYS when considering ANYTHING Shumeister!!!…

However fast the guy in his sister car, a 31 year old Michael is going to be a tad we bit faster AND will not make stupid mistakes, and he will be in the first 2 spots to begin with so all he has to do is chase and pressure the guy in front until he either makes a mistake or cooks his tires, at which time Michael would Zip on by and proceed to open up a gap just as fast as he would have at the opening of the race.

The ONLY thing that we need to keep in mind that Hamilton is eerily close to the same type of performance and if he's ultra-focused might not crack under pressure from Michael, but then again, knowing that it's Michael, whatever amount of pressure he's applying is automatically magnified a bit, so that might result in a mistake just the same.

Of all the drivers I've seen in F1, no one was as consistently better than his compatriots throughout their career the way Michael was.
This season is quite similar to 05 & 06 and if you look back to those seasons, you will see that under immense pressure the drivers in contention for the title made very few to no mistakes. All of them were so tough under pressure and the way they dealt with it was to apply more pressure on one another. To boot, Alonso only won the 06 title due to an extremely rare failure of a Ferrari engine that happened to be the one bolted onto Michael's car. To this day the most painful moment I've ever experienced watching F1. (outside of deaths of course)

Your memory of Michael seems to be a bit rose-tinted. Michael was an amazing driver but he was not great under pressure. Hamilton's performance under pressure in his prime has been decidedly better than Michael's. Michael almost lost it at the end of 2003 and he did deplorable things in close title battles at the end of the season in 94', 97' and early in 06'. 2000 was an impressive year for Michael in terms of handling pressure but he has struggled handling the pressure moment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:42 pm 

AnRs wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I fully appreciate that, I'm just saying that if the forum was Hamilton biased then Hamilton winning would automatically ensure him the DoTD.

So you mean if you're Hamilton biased you can't acknowledge that someone did a better drive in a not so fast car?

You probably wouldn't even consider that he did a better drive.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:42 pm 

AnRs wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
AnRs wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I fully appreciate that, I'm just saying that if the forum was Hamilton biased then Hamilton winning would automatically ensure him the DoTD.

So you mean if you're Hamilton biased you can't acknowledge that someone did a better drive in a not so fast car?

I would imagine that this is the definition of being biased...

Then I think I know someone who falls under that category.. : )

Me too ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:45 pm 

pokerman wrote:
AnRs wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
AnRs wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Me too ;)

Are you two.........

Agreeing?????

8O

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:48 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
AnRs wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
AnRs wrote:

Me too ;)

Are you two.........

Agreeing?????

8O

Not exactly :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:07 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
AnRs wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Me too ;)

Are you two.........

Agreeing?????

8O

Not exactly :lol:

It's as close as it gets. I'll have that!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:39 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mr.Wojo wrote:
Since we all like to play the what if game; in your opinion do you think that Michael Schumacher at 31 years of age would have won while driving this years Ferrari?

Depends how dominant Merc are for the remaining races.

Yeah, agreed. Peak Schumacher would have been leading the title going into Russia. Whether he'd be able to win it or not depends on what happens for the rest of the year. Merc's form post-Belgium is very strong, and I no longer consider Ferrari to have the better car.

One thing you must ALWAYS when considering ANYTHING Shumeister!!!…

However fast the guy in his sister car, a 31 year old Michael is going to be a tad we bit faster AND will not make stupid mistakes, and he will be in the first 2 spots to begin with so all he has to do is chase and pressure the guy in front until he either makes a mistake or cooks his tires, at which time Michael would Zip on by and proceed to open up a gap just as fast as he would have at the opening of the race.

The ONLY thing that we need to keep in mind that Hamilton is eerily close to the same type of performance and if he's ultra-focused might not crack under pressure from Michael, but then again, knowing that it's Michael, whatever amount of pressure he's applying is automatically magnified a bit, so that might result in a mistake just the same.

Of all the drivers I've seen in F1, no one was as consistently better than his compatriots throughout their career the way Michael was.
This season is quite similar to 05 & 06 and if you look back to those seasons, you will see that under immense pressure the drivers in contention for the title made very few to no mistakes. All of them were so tough under pressure and the way they dealt with it was to apply more pressure on one another. To boot, Alonso only won the 06 title due to an extremely rare failure of a Ferrari engine that happened to be the one bolted onto Michael's car. To this day the most painful moment I've ever experienced watching F1. (outside of deaths of course)

Your memory of Michael seems to be a bit rose-tinted. Michael was an amazing driver but he was not great under pressure. Hamilton's performance under pressure in his prime has been decidedly better than Michael's. Michael almost lost it at the end of 2003 and he did deplorable things in close title battles at the end of the season in 94', 97' and early in 06'. 2000 was an impressive year for Michael in terms of handling pressure but he has struggled handling the pressure moment.

Not at all Rose-Tinted.

While Hamilton has been overall excellent under pressure, he has had moments where he's bullied people off-track and against Massa for a season in a half in particular he was consistently "making silly mistakes" (take that as you will). Then in 2011 Hamilton's personal life saw him realize a serious slump in performance for almost the complete duration of a full season. Something Michael NEVER suffered.

And while I am a huge fan of Hamilton, his personal business and lifestyle leaves him spread thin which makes me wonder how much better and even more dominant would he be if he could do as Michael did and completely remove himself from all other things not racing. Michael took a sabbatical from life for approximately 2 years just to further improve his already supreme ability, and it bothers me that people immediately point to special tires, treatment and equipment as to why he was always able to best his teammates, because it's all nonsense. None of the stories claiming these preposterous notions have ever been confirmed and are nothing more than unfounded nonsense, because Michael drove tens of thousands of miles day after day for a VERY long time to learn all the intricacies of his cars and how to better cope and adjust to situations.

You might not like him, but to date I have yet to see a better driver in F1 history, though Hamilton might end up making a case for himself there.
And please spare me the Senna quotient because Michael would have… I mean did beat him and went on to eclipse all his records. Senna was brilliant, but Michael was something else… something more. That he did cross the line a few times, I give you that, but then again, so have most drivers.
Barrichello, Button, Fisi, Kubica and Raikkonen come to mind as the few guys I don't recall making contact with others with intent.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:07 pm 

Hamilton had a very strong first half of 2011, the first 10 races. The last 9, about 4 of them were bad.

Button only finished ahead of him 3 times in the first 10 races. 1) Malaysia when Hamilton kept on pitting earlier and earlier to try to undercut Vettel to take the lead and ran out of tyres by the end and completely fell off the cliff (this was only the 2nd race of Pirelli's) and came 7th. 2) Monaco, where Hamilton started P10 due to Mclaren not releasing him for his final Q3 run in time and 3) Canada when JB put Hamilton in the wall as he was overtaking him.

The last 9 races, Hamilton had collisions with Massa in 3 races, a collision with Kobayashi and DNF, mechanical issues in 2 races and a got I think 3 penalties in the races. He was only actually slow in 1 or 2 races. Japan being one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:43 pm 

He couldn't win in the last MB he drove.

Post edited by Mod Aqua

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:57 pm 

mmi16 wrote:
He couldn't win in the last MB he drove.

The thread is based on a hypothetical where a peak Schumacher is in the 2018 Ferrari - not a past-peak Schumacher in a 2012 Mercedes.

Post quoted was edited by Mod Aqua, and the part of this post referring to deleted part has therefore been removed

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)