planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:52 am 

Siao7 wrote:
He (Moss) is held in a very high standard even though he never won anything.
He didn't exactly never win anything...

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:00 am 

Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
He (Moss) is held in a very high standard even though he never won anything.
He didn't exactly never win anything...

We are talking in WDC terms, I should have been more specific I guess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:49 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Maybe because Hawthorn died a long time ago and we see Moss around from time to time?

Dying young didn't do any harm for the fame of many other WDC's.

Are we talking about avid fans or the general public?

I guess in this context people are talking generally about fans of F1.

In any case, the OP does not mention much regarding the fans, he opened this thread in this forum, where most of the fans are somewhat educated in this difficult sport compared to the Youtube fanboys. People here read books, watch old races, hell the older members actually attended a few as well. So I suspect (Invade will have to confirm his intentions I guess) that this thread is meant for us. This is why I was arguing with MB-BOB, an avid fan from what he says in the other post, that we do know a few stuff about Moss and how he is praised by his contemporaries. He is held in a very high standard even though he never won anything.

In the sixties, I recall that Stirling Moss was regarded as a British driver who won (dominated) the 1955 thousand-mile Mille Miglia road race in Italy. Several racing press hailed it as a drive to be remembered forever. And it was.

Focus on this single accomplishment masked more interesting facts about Moss, and illustrates my point. That drivers will be known for their principle achievements, even among serious racing fans.

One has to dig deeper to realize that Moss won 212 of the 529 races he entered across several categories of competition. Between 1955 and 1961 Moss finished as F1 championship runner-up four times and third the remaining three. This earned him the unofficial title, "the greatest driver never to win the World Championship."

But the first thing that comes to mind today about Moss (for this involved F1 fan)... is his epic Mille Miglia win.... Not all the niggly ifs, ands, and buts, or how Moss aided Hawthorn in beating him to Hawthorn's single 1958 WDC. (Look it up).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:42 pm 

MB-BOB wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

In any case, the OP does not mention much regarding the fans, he opened this thread in this forum, where most of the fans are somewhat educated in this difficult sport compared to the Youtube fanboys. People here read books, watch old races, hell the older members actually attended a few as well. So I suspect (Invade will have to confirm his intentions I guess) that this thread is meant for us. This is why I was arguing with MB-BOB, an avid fan from what he says in the other post, that we do know a few stuff about Moss and how he is praised by his contemporaries. He is held in a very high standard even though he never won anything.

In the sixties, I recall that Stirling Moss was regarded as a British driver who won (dominated) the 1955 thousand-mile Mille Miglia road race in Italy. Several racing press hailed it as a drive to be remembered forever. And it was.

Focus on this single accomplishment masked more interesting facts about Moss, and illustrates my point. That drivers will be known for their principle achievements, even among serious racing fans.

One has to dig deeper to realize that Moss won 212 of the 529 races he entered across several categories of competition. Between 1955 and 1961 Moss finished as F1 championship runner-up four times and third the remaining three. This earned him the unofficial title, "the greatest driver never to win the World Championship."

But the first thing that comes to mind today about Moss (for this involved F1 fan)... is his epic Mille Miglia win.... Not all the niggly ifs, ands, and buts, or how Moss aided Hawthorn in beating him to Hawthorn's single 1958 WDC. (Look it up).

I beg to differ. Open any website and you'll see the bold part first, not that he won the Mille Miglia or the Targa Florio. Also, his career high is often considered his epic Monaco drive in an old Lotus against the mighty Ferraris, or beating Fangio by three whole minutes (I can't remember which race that was), but that is I guess down to preference.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:27 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
MB-BOB wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I beg to differ. Open any website and you'll see the bold part first, not that he won the Mille Miglia or the Targa Florio. Also, his career high is often considered his epic Monaco drive in an old Lotus against the mighty Ferraris, or beating Fangio by three whole minutes (I can't remember which race that was), but that is I guess down to preference.

At this website, Moss' Mille Miglia episode comprises a full 10 paragraph narrative, followed by a 6 paragraph (only) summary of his entire F1 career. This included 3 sentences regarding the underpowered Lotus, and the masterful (my words) 3.6 second win in the 1961 Monaco GP, against three ill-handling Ferraris.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_Moss

I do not intend to quibble back and forth regarding my first person memories of Moss' memorable career. Indeed he will be remembered BOTH for his Mille Miglia WIN, and being, "the greatest driver never to win the World Championship."

Ask Stirling Moss which he cherishes more, as he's given several gleeful interviews about the Mille Miglia (can't find any about almost winning a WDC).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07CiCpf9kek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWlI2ANL_u8

In this clip, he describes the Mille Miglia as his finest race, ever (1:52)... that he prefered -- and performed best -- racing "sports cars" cars over F1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nke5V0q4ZbQ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:03 pm 

MB-BOB wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
MB-BOB wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

At this website, Moss' Mille Miglia episode comprises a full 10 paragraph narrative, followed by a 6 paragraph (only) summary of his entire F1 career. This included 3 sentences regarding the underpowered Lotus, and the masterful (my words) 3.6 second win in the 1961 Monaco GP, against three ill-handling Ferraris.

I do not intend to quibble back and forth regarding my first person memories of Moss' memorable career. Indeed he will be remembered BOTH for his Mille Miglia WIN, and being, "the greatest driver never to win the World Championship."

Ask Stirling Moss which he cherishes more, as he's given several gleeful interviews about the Mille Miglia (can't find any about almost winning a WDC).

In this clip, he describes the Mille Miglia as his finest race, ever (1:52)... that he prefered -- and performed best -- racing "sports cars" cars over F1.

Not sure I'm following, the wiki article you quoted has the "the greatest driver never to win the World Championship" quote in the opening paragraph with no mention of the Mille Miglia race. You do realise that this is going into silly arguments now, right?

The whole point is that people still remember and rate highly drivers like Moss, Gille Villeneuve, von Trip, etc. without them ever winning a WDC.

As for Moss, I'm not sure how much it matters here what he cherishes as his finest moment really

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:03 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
MB-BOB wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
MB-BOB wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Not sure I'm following, the wiki article you quoted has the "the greatest driver never to win the World Championship" quote in the opening paragraph with no mention of the Mille Miglia race. You do realise that this is going into silly arguments now, right?

The whole point is that people still remember and rate highly drivers like Moss, Gille Villeneuve, von Trip, etc. without them ever winning a WDC.

As for Moss, I'm not sure how much it matters here what he cherishes as his finest moment really
Yes indeed, silly. You chide me for pointing out major accomplishments as more important than the ticky-dot details, while asserting that the opening paragraph in the very lengthy Wiki article is the only (important) point worth mentioning. Silly, indeed.

You will find all the references I noted further below for all the nitty-gritty details that people love to cite when it supports an opinion and to pick apart when it does not. Read the entire wiki reference and watch the videos. I have.

If someone mentions an event in their life as the most notable among several -- specifically noting his sports car victorys as more important than Formula 1 -- then I believe such 1st hand experience and opinion from the person who lived it trumps everyone's arm-chair opinion, both yours and mine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:30 pm 

MB-BOB wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
MB-BOB wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
MB-BOB wrote:

Yes indeed, silly. You chide me for pointing out major accomplishments as more important than the ticky-dot details, while asserting that the opening paragraph in the very lengthy Wiki article is the only (important) point worth mentioning. Silly, indeed.

You will find all the references I noted further below for all the nitty-gritty details that people love to cite when it supports an opinion and to pick apart when it does not. Read the entire wiki reference and watch the videos. I have.

If someone mentions an event in their life as the most notable among several -- specifically noting his sports car victorys as more important than Formula 1 -- then I believe such 1st hand experience and opinion from the person who lived it trumps everyone's arm-chair opinion, both yours and mine.

Chiding you? We are having a discussion, I'm not chiding nor scolding anyone, I'm not anyone's parent here!!!

So you assert the importance by the length of the paragraphs? The opening paragraph is the most important bit I'd think, a short summary of what he is remembered by, don't you think? Also, the Mille Milgia is a narrative of the whole race, if you do that for every race in his F1 career you'd have a different narrative.

And this website has two lines mentioning the Mille Miglia only: (http://www.grandprixhistory.org/moss_bio.htm). ESPN (http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/driver/534.html) only mentions "That year he also won the gruelling Mille Miglia". What does this prove?

Also, when asking the public for their view, it really does not make much difference what the driver thinks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:37 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Also, when asking the public for their view, it really does not make much difference what the driver thinks.

This assertion is ludicrous. But never mind. I do have a life, and more important things to do than eat, drink, and sleep Formula One. I'm done with this. Carry on...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:45 am 

MB-BOB wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

This assertion is ludicrous. But never mind. I do have a life, and more important things to do than eat, drink, and sleep Formula One. I'm done with this. Carry on...

And the rest of us don't? Ok, disagree with my opinion if you wish, just leave alone the silly comments aside. Talking about F1 (you seem to forget about this) I do not put too much weight on the race he cherishes most outside F1. It's rate the multi F1 WDCs, emphasis on the F1 career.

Forget Moss, take any other great driver that did not win the WDC. See how they are remembered even if they did not win any titles. See how fans remember and rate Gilles and then tell me that only numbers count... That is what is ludicrous. Numbers are good to back some claims, but do not always give the whole picture.

Carry on indeed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:01 am 

1:
Michael Schumacher

2:
Alain Prost
Aryton Senna
Sebastian Vettel

3:
Niki Lauda
Lewis Hamilton
Nelson Piquet

4:
Mika Häkkinen
Fernando Alonso

Emeritus:

Jim Clark
Juan Manuel Fangio
Alberto Ascari
Graham Hill
Emerson Fittipaldi
Jack Brabham
Jackie Stewart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:56 pm 

bourbon19 wrote:
1:
Michael Schumacher

2:
Alain Prost
Aryton Senna
Sebastian Vettel

3:
Niki Lauda
Lewis Hamilton
Nelson Piquet

4:
Mika Häkkinen
Fernando Alonso

Emeritus:

Jim Clark
Juan Manuel Fangio
Alberto Ascari
Graham Hill
Emerson Fittipaldi
Jack Brabham
Jackie Stewart

Could I ask what your criteria are? You have some that seem to go against the general trend, certainly. Hakkinen above both Fangio and Clark would be the standout that I'd disagree with, but putting Vettel a whole category above Hamilton is also a bit unorthodox to say the least.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:42 pm 

Here is a metric that makes the most sense to me. Winning Percentage. Number of races entered/Wins.

1. Juan Manual Fangio - 52 Entries - 24 Wins - WP 46.15%
2. Alberto Ascari - 33 Entries - 13 Wins - WP 39.39%
3. Jim Clark - 73 Entries - 25 Wins - WP 34.25%
4. Lewis Hamilton - 223 Entries - 69 Wins - WP 30.94% *
5. Michael Schumacher - 308 Entries - 91Wins - WP 29.55%
6. Jackie Stewart - 100 Entries - 27 Wins - WP 27.00%
7. Ayrton Senna - 106 Entries - 41 Wins - WP 25.31%
8. Alain Prost - 202 Entries - 51 Wins - WP 25.25%
9. Sebastian Vettel - 215 Entries - 52Wins - WP 24.19% *
10. Niki Lauda - 177 Entries - 25 Wins - WP 14.12%
11. Mika Häkkinen - 165 Entries - 20 Wins - WP 12.12%
12. Nelson Piquet - 207 Entries - 23 Wins - WP 11.11%
13. Jack Brabham - 128 Entries - 14 Wins - WP 10.94%
14. Fernando Alonso - 309 Entries - 32 Wins - WP 10.36% *
15. Emerson Fittipaldi - 149 Entries - 14 Wins - WP 09.40%
16. Graham Hill - 179 Entries - 14 Wins - WP 07.82%

* Current driver whose career is not yet finished.

It's not a perfect yardstick but does equalize for length of career. It also shows how dominant each champion was during their racing days.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:37 pm 

Exediron wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:
1:
Michael Schumacher

2:
Alain Prost
Aryton Senna
Sebastian Vettel

3:
Niki Lauda
Lewis Hamilton
Nelson Piquet

4:
Mika Häkkinen
Fernando Alonso

Emeritus:

Jim Clark
Juan Manuel Fangio
Alberto Ascari
Graham Hill
Emerson Fittipaldi
Jack Brabham
Jackie Stewart

Could I ask what your criteria are? You have some that seem to go against the general trend, certainly. Hakkinen above both Fangio and Clark would be the standout that I'd disagree with, but putting Vettel a whole category above Hamilton is also a bit unorthodox to say the least.

I was willing to give Vettel the benefit of the doubt after 2014 season, but he has soiled the bed in 2017 and 2018 so much so that he is now not even in my top 10 despite his 4 championships. He especially will not be able to live down 2018 given the car Ferrari produced. He really needed to at least take it down to the last race. And it won’t get easier next year too because if he doesn’t absolutely beat Leclerc he might find himself replaced with nowhere to go in the top 3 teams.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:42 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Here is a metric that makes the most sense to me. Winning Percentage. Number of races entered/Wins.

It's not a perfect yardstick but does equalize for length of career. It also shows how dominant each champion was during their racing days.

Way too relient on machinery though. For example Alonso has won about 5% of races 2007-2018.

For fun I worked out career wins per WDC for selected WDC’s

Schumacher: 13
Fangio: 4.8
Hamilton (using 5 WDC): 14.2
Vettel: 12.75
Prost: 12.75
Senna: 13.67

Alonso: 16

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:25 pm 

Johnson wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

Way too relient on machinery though. For example Alonso has won about 5% of races 2007-2018.

For fun I worked out career wins per WDC for selected WDC’s

Schumacher: 13
Fangio: 4.8
Hamilton (using 5 WDC): 14.2
Vettel: 12.75
Prost: 12.75
Senna: 13.67

Alonso: 16

Interesting approach. However current drivers have a lot more races per year (and per championship) than Fangio, Ascari, Clark, Brabham, & Hill....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:50 am 

Exediron wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:
1:
Michael Schumacher

2:
Alain Prost
Aryton Senna
Sebastian Vettel

3:
Niki Lauda
Lewis Hamilton
Nelson Piquet

4:
Mika Häkkinen
Fernando Alonso

Emeritus:

Jim Clark
Juan Manuel Fangio
Alberto Ascari
Graham Hill
Emerson Fittipaldi
Jack Brabham
Jackie Stewart

Bourbon is a Vettel fan I believe?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:29 am 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Sure, and I'm an Alonso fan. I still wouldn't put him a whole category above Hamilton. There's being a fan, and then there's being just plain unreasonable.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:42 am 

Deleted... not worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:57 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Sure, and I'm an Alonso fan. I still wouldn't put him a whole category above Hamilton. There's being a fan, and then there's being just plain unreasonable.

Well I was just putting you in the picture.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)