planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:12 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
I predict that Bottas will be used as a massive roadblock in this race.

Well, if they do, I hope people won't judge Bottas as having a weak 2nd half of the season just because of his team compromising his results to help Hamilton. Although he did struggle here last year.

Something I do wonder though is if Bottas will be better than Hamilton next weekend in Russia. He's always been strong here. I think that could well be the case unless Mercedes force Bottas to slow down.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:14 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Well, if they do, I hope people won't judge Bottas as having a weak 2nd half of the season just because of his team compromising his results to help Hamilton. Although he did struggle here last year.

Something I do wonder though is if Bottas will be better than Hamilton next weekend in Russia. He's always been strong here. I think that could well be the case unless Mercedes force Bottas to slow down.

He’s in this position because he’s not as fast as Hamilton obviously. They won’t force him to slow down, not unless he’s in front of a Ferrari :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:22 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Looks like the form book may have changed here. Red Bull not so strong, Mercedes not so weak.

Yeah It's looking not too bad for Hamilton

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 1st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:25 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Rather Bottas win than Vettel, makes clawing the points back harder for Vettel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:57 pm 

Now I watch the mistake that Leclerc made, although it looked silly, the way he dealt with it afterwards was very good. Just compare it to when Verstappen had an issue in his rookie season in qualifying i think it was. Maybe practice. But he parked his car on track on the left side. It may have infact been just off it, but I remember ben edwards pointing out that that was a poor decision as there was a proper place on the right side where he could have pulled over and they could have dealt with his car without having to stop the session to push his car off the track.

leclerc instantly went to a sensible place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Some interesting stats:

- Sebastian Vettel is the record holder for most Singapore GP wins and poles (4 each), and has led the most laps in Marina Bay history (221). Vettel led the Singapore GP from start-to-finish in 2011, 2013 and 2015, with the 2013 race being a grand slam victory (led every lap from pole with fastest lap).

- Monza pole-sitter Kimi Raikkonen has never qualified on the front row in eight previous visits to Singapore, and has only outqualified a team mate twice here (2009, 2016).

- Daniel Ricciardo has finished on the podium at Singapore in all four of his previous visits with Red Bull – the only circuit on which he has achieved this – although he has never won at Marina Bay and he’s only ever led one lap here (in 2014).

- Pole position is vitally important here. In the last nine Singapore GPs the pole-sitter has won seven times, with the exceptions being 2012, when Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren broke down while he was leading the race from pole, and 2017, when Sebastian Vettel was hit within 150 metres of the start.

- The Safety Car has appeared in every Marina Bay F1 race ever held, with 12 laps of Safety Car running last season (more than 20% of the entire race). Furthermore, Lap 1 accidents have caused a Safety Car deployment in each of the last two years.

You could at least change a word here and there if you´re not providing a source?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:48 am 

Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Some interesting stats:

- Sebastian Vettel is the record holder for most Singapore GP wins and poles (4 each), and has led the most laps in Marina Bay history (221). Vettel led the Singapore GP from start-to-finish in 2011, 2013 and 2015, with the 2013 race being a grand slam victory (led every lap from pole with fastest lap).

- Monza pole-sitter Kimi Raikkonen has never qualified on the front row in eight previous visits to Singapore, and has only outqualified a team mate twice here (2009, 2016).

- Daniel Ricciardo has finished on the podium at Singapore in all four of his previous visits with Red Bull – the only circuit on which he has achieved this – although he has never won at Marina Bay and he’s only ever led one lap here (in 2014).

- Pole position is vitally important here. In the last nine Singapore GPs the pole-sitter has won seven times, with the exceptions being 2012, when Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren broke down while he was leading the race from pole, and 2017, when Sebastian Vettel was hit within 150 metres of the start.

- The Safety Car has appeared in every Marina Bay F1 race ever held, with 12 laps of Safety Car running last season (more than 20% of the entire race). Furthermore, Lap 1 accidents have caused a Safety Car deployment in each of the last two years.

You could at least change a word here and there if you´re not providing a source?

I always refer F1's official website for this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:49 am 

As per F1's official website:

Long-run pace deficit (seconds per lap)

1 Red Bull
2 Ferrari +0.2
3 Mercedes +0.4
4 Renault +0.8
5 Force India +1.4
6 Toro Rosso +1.5
7 Haas +1.9
8 McLaren +2
9 Sauber +2.6
10 Williams +2.8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:56 am 

A Yellow line has been painted outside the kerb on Turn 7 to prevent drivers taking advantage. If any driver were to touch the line during qualy, his time will be deleted. As for the race, if any driver touches the kerb more than thrice during the race, he'll be sown a black and white flag & the matter would be reported to the stewards.

Source - https://www.motorsportweek.com//admin/c ... 20line.jpg

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/19896

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:10 am 

Brilliant, typical Singapore justice, harsh but fair!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:48 am 

Ferrari pull the pin then we have the reality check

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:49 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
A Yellow line has been painted outside the kerb on Turn 7 to prevent drivers taking advantage. If any driver were to touch the line during qualy, his time will be deleted. As for the race, if any driver touches the kerb more than thrice during the race, he'll be sown a black and white flag & the matter would be reported to the stewards.

Source - https://www.motorsportweek.com//admin/c ... 20line.jpg

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/19896

It's being said that Verstappen will not be happy :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 am 

FP3 done:

Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5C2643F3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:08 am 

On raw pace it looks close between Ferrari and Mercedes, but Hamilton never got a good S1 (I think Bottas did). I'd say the difference is roughly 2 tenths in raw pace in favour of Ferrari and that the Ferrari is better balanced and more likely to extract maximum performance through the whole lap. If a lap is nailed in either car I don't expect a wide winning margin for pole. What I'd say is that Ferrari are likely to nail laps in Q3 - far less sure about Mercedes. As for RBR, they may be much closer to Mercedes than it appears but it's not been smooth sailing for them in FP3.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:55 am 

It looked close yesterday because Vettel never did a lap, this is Vettels best track and one of Kimi’s weaker ones. If Hamilton can get Kimi this weekend that would be a huge result.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:58 am 

A few notes on that timesheet:

Did Grosjean do an incredible lap or Magnussen do a stinker?
8-16 all within a second of each other...
I guess that Williams are now supplying the medical car.
If Hartley or Ericsson are in F1 next year and Ocon isn't it's a bad show for the sport.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:12 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

If Hartley or Ericsson are in F1 next year and Ocon isn't it's a bad show for the sport.

Grosjean did a good lap. I've noticed since Grosjean has come back to form, Magnussen's has dropped. I wonder if both of their cars were interchanged!
Hartley will probably be replaced (just see the difference between him & Gasly) & there are strong rumours Gionivazzi will take Ericsson's place.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:46 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

[color=#FF0000]If Hartley or Ericsson are in F1 next year and Ocon isn't it's a bad show for the sport
.[/color]

It's not bad for the sport because the sport does not owe Ocon and Mercedes anything, as everyone pays to play there's no free lunch out.

Redbull want Hartley in their car they are paying for it, Ericsson's sponsor wants him in the car they are paying as well, why should it be different for Ocon's sponsor Mercedes?

Stroll's father wants him in a team he bought one, also reports indicating Ferrari have allowed TR to sign Kyvat for 2019, so except Mercedes planning to pay Williams, it seems Ocon is out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:57 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

[color=#FF0000]If Hartley or Ericsson are in F1 next year and Ocon isn't it's a bad show for the sport
.[/color]

It's not bad for the sport because the sport does not owe Ocon and Mercedes anything, as everyone pays to play there's no free lunch out.

Redbull want Hartley in their car they are paying for it, Ericsson's sponsor wants him in the car they are paying as well, why should it be different for Ocon's sponsor Mercedes?

Stroll's father wants him in a team he bought one, also reports indicating Ferrari have allowed TR to sign Kyvat for 2019, so except Mercedes planning to pay Williams, it seems Ocon is out.

And you don't see how that situation is bad for the sport?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:03 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

.[/color]

How exactly?

Are you advocating for other teams to help Mercedes develop Ocon? If Mercedes cant give him a seat then he is not fit to be there simples, when F1 has its own team you can then advocate for that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:14 pm 

Track limits, anyone?

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:19 pm 

ooof Hamiltom had a lucky escape there!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:22 pm 

Bottas not looking bad today. Way better than last year. I feel he may be able to beat Hamilton if he keeps this up. his final practice looked good too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:24 pm 

Seems Redbull have come to the party as qualifying starts, Ferrari need to be wary.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:26 pm 

Rockie wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

.[/color]

How exactly?

Are you advocating for other teams to help Mercedes develop Ocon? If Mercedes cant give him a seat then he is not fit to be there simples, when F1 has its own team you can then advocate for that.

I was not pointing the finger at anyone, I was not saying that Red Bull or Ferrari are obligated to help Mercedes's young driver program. The problem I am highlighting is that drivers gets tied to career paths with single teams and the teams are reluctant to share and reluctant to shepherd other's drivers.

Red Bull were in the situation recently with Ricciardo, Verstappen, Sainz where they had three drivers and two seats.

Now they have just one of those three and are struggling to fill their seats with similar calibre drivers.

Mercedes are now in the position where they have a more drivers than seats, as do McLaren. I would argue that the major teams being able to keep their hands on drivers for lengthy periods of time is what is causing the problem, but regardless of whose fault it is, top drawer drivers not having seats when obviously less able drivers keep them is not good.

Anyway, I feel this has dragged off topic, and if you want to keep debating it we should probably start a different thread.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:30 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Seems Redbull have come to the party as qualifying starts, Ferrari need to be wary.

It's Ferrari's (Vettel's) pole to lose. They have the extra qualy modes that RBR don't.

- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:33 pm 

The delta between the us and hs is huge. No sense fooling around with the us in q2.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:34 pm 

Leclerc making the same mistake Vandoorne made. Ferrari should dump Vettel and take Vandoorne instead. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:44 pm 

Bottas so far certainly seems to be matching Hamilton in all sessions today.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:45 pm 

Great driving from Seb to get around the slow cars. That was close.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:47 pm 

shay550 wrote:
Great driving from Seb to get around the slow cars. That was close.
I agree, but it also shows why the current format of qualifying is a laugh.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:53 pm 

yep, Mercedes really struggling here :lol:

Holy moly

Hamilton shows why he's the best driver of all. :nod:

Stonking lap by hammy

MEGA LAP LEWIS! GET IN THERE!

Holy fk, what a lap.

There's more time in that Ferrari and red bull though I'm sure judging by verstappen time

Last edited by FormulaFun on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:54 pm 

OMG what just happened 8O

Hamilton just dropped the mic!

Last edited by Laz_T800 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow did not expect that from Mercedes 8O

Ferrari 3rd fastest on a track that should be all about them? Surely not.