planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:59 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
With 3 races to go Schumacher has only to finish in front of Ticktum in the first race to be champion.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:49 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6090
Location: Michigan, USA
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Nobody that mattered would expect him to beat Kvyat. Don't forget Kvyat lost to Vergne in his debut season and still got promoted.

He scored less points but Kvyat won the qualifying battle and that in itself perhaps gave Red Bull the thought he had more potential than Vergne?

Well yes, that's sort of the point. Being outscored didn't matter in the end.

Considering that he struggled in the Red Bull and eventually got dropped, I'm not sure Kvyat is a great example to follow. I thought he was unconvincing alongside Vergne, and slower than Ricciardo during their entire time together (2015 points notwithstanding).

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
Dan Ticktum it appears has chosen to pour some salt on Schumacher

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... regarding/

Quote:
Unfortunately however I am fighting a losing battle as my last name is not Schumacher.


I can't see this ending well for Ticktum?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5556
pokerman wrote:
Dan Ticktum it appears has chosen to pour some salt on Schumacher

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... regarding/

Quote:
Unfortunately however I am fighting a losing battle as my last name is not Schumacher.


I can't see this ending well for Ticktum?

Wow. I must admit that the thought crossed my mind that machinery might have something to do with this; considering Mick's team seems to be firmly in control these last two race weekends. For Ticktum to make those comments though is really in bad taste; especially if he has nothing other than the results to back them up. I don't think anything too fishy is going on. Maybe just a setup breakthrough.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:19 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6090
Location: Michigan, USA
sandman1347 wrote:
Wow. I must admit that the thought crossed my mind that machinery might have something to do with this; considering Mick's team seems to be firmly in control these last two race weekends. For Ticktum to make those comments though is really in bad taste; especially if he has nothing other than the results to back them up. I don't think anything too fishy is going on. Maybe just a setup breakthrough.

Certain types of people are always going to allege cheating when they don't win. It doesn't surprise me that Ticktum is one such.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Dan Ticktum it appears has chosen to pour some salt on Schumacher

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... regarding/

Quote:
Unfortunately however I am fighting a losing battle as my last name is not Schumacher.


I can't see this ending well for Ticktum?

Wow. I must admit that the thought crossed my mind that machinery might have something to do with this; considering Mick's team seems to be firmly in control these last two race weekends. For Ticktum to make those comments though is really in bad taste; especially if he has nothing other than the results to back them up. I don't think anything too fishy is going on. Maybe just a setup breakthrough.

The thing is that spec series don't always define you have equal cars, some teams do a better job and in F3 in particular you can develop your own aero or at least you could when Stroll was racing, not sure if that got changed to make it cheaper?

It wouldn't surprise me if Prema had a better car, they have often in the past, but then why would they then favour Schumacher and Schvartzman over their teammates bearing in mind some of these are Ferrari junior drivers and I believe Prema have reasonably close ties with Ferrari?

Then having said the two Prema drivers were in a league of their own then why call out Schumacher being favoured because of his name, it lacks a bit of logic with Schumacher it seems getting the brunt of it because it's him that's scuppering any chance Ticktum had of being in F1 next year with him also saying he's being robbed of the title.

There was other drivers that were beating Ticktum as well, I think he had a 4th, 7th and a 8th, so it starts to smell of excuses, the previous round he apparently said he lost focus because of all the F1 attention he was getting to excuse some not so good performances.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9348
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
If Michael is still sharp mentally, he won't let his son be thrown to the wolves like that. STR won't have any real love for Mick and they will abandon him at the first sign of struggle.

I think he should look to latch on with either Mercedes' or Ferrari's young driver programs and that he should go into F2 next year. Ferrari and Mercedes are the two top teams in F1 and Michael has past relationships with both of them and is on good terms with both. Hamilton won't be racing forever and neither will Vettel. While Charles is firmly in place at Ferrari, Mercedes really don't yet have a successor lined up. Ocon is kind of on shaky ground. If they were blown away by him, he'd be in the car already IMO.

I still think that Ferrari are the team to get involved with IMO. They are really on the rise and, unless Vettel can both beat Leclerc and beat Hamilton to the WDC, there is a strong chance that he will be out of the way by 2021. A year in F2 and then a year at Sauber might open the way for Mick to be in the Ferrari! Now I'm really getting ahead of myself...


If someone can offer you an F1 seat you take it. If Merc can't position a proven F1 talent then that should be seen as a no go. Red Bull tend to be pretty loyal with their young drivers. They almost all get a couple of years. And that STR could be a decent ride next year. It's much easier to shine in a car scoring regular points than one at the back or just outside. He'd have a beatable team mate as well.

Mick would be the beatable teammate next year I'm afraid. He'd likely be facing someone with a lot more experience in F1 like Pascal or Stoffel and who has a lot to prove. I just think it's too soon for him to enter F1. I really don't think he's ready and it's just his name that has everyone getting ahead of themselves. The promotion to F1 for 2019 would not be in his best interest IMO.


I half agree. The thing is turning down a seat is a risk. He'd probably have Kvyat as a team mate and nobody would expect him to beat him in season one. Rookies almost never neat experienced team mates. You may never get that good an opportunity again. I mean say he goes to F2 and finishes 10th or so in his first year. Then what? I think it's best to make the jump when you've got the chance. In a way it's a little similar to Stroll who has talent but was rushed to soon in my opinion. But then if he hadn't who knows what would've happened. You have to strike whilst the iron is hot.

It is a risk for Schumacher to do F2 because he might lose his F1 super license but they want to make sure he's ready for F1 by proving himself at a higher level first wheres the Strolls admitted they didn't want to risk him in F2, I think the actual wording was they didn't want to risk his reputation in F2 or as it was called then GP2.

I think the difference is that Daddy Stroll is a massive F1 fan and he wanted his son to be a F1 driver whereas the Schumacher's only want Mick to do F1 if they are confident he can hold his own and do the Schumacher name justice.

They've actually come out and said this?

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 1922
I don't know what to make of Mick's recent success given the current strength of his team and also looking at similar results from Lance Stroll who doesn't look all that good in F1. He must be pretty solid at the least though and the turnaround has been striking.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 6565
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Dan Ticktum it appears has chosen to pour some salt on Schumacher

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... regarding/

Quote:
Unfortunately however I am fighting a losing battle as my last name is not Schumacher.


I can't see this ending well for Ticktum?

Wow. I must admit that the thought crossed my mind that machinery might have something to do with this; considering Mick's team seems to be firmly in control these last two race weekends. For Ticktum to make those comments though is really in bad taste; especially if he has nothing other than the results to back them up. I don't think anything too fishy is going on. Maybe just a setup breakthrough.

The thing is that spec series don't always define you have equal cars, some teams do a better job and in F3 in particular you can develop your own aero or at least you could when Stroll was racing, not sure if that got changed to make it cheaper?

It wouldn't surprise me if Prema had a better car, they have often in the past, but then why would they then favour Schumacher and Schvartzman over their teammates bearing in mind some of these are Ferrari junior drivers and I believe Prema have reasonably close ties with Ferrari?

Then having said the two Prema drivers were in a league of their own then why call out Schumacher being favoured because of his name, it lacks a bit of logic with Schumacher it seems getting the brunt of it because it's him that's scuppering any chance Ticktum had of being in F1 next year with him also saying he's being robbed of the title.

There was other drivers that were beating Ticktum as well, I think he had a 4th, 7th and a 8th, so it starts to smell of excuses, the previous round he apparently said he lost focus because of all the F1 attention he was getting to excuse some not so good performances.


Poker, in your link above there is no mention of that quote naming Mick Schumacher. Is there a mistake or am I missing it somewhere?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
If someone can offer you an F1 seat you take it. If Merc can't position a proven F1 talent then that should be seen as a no go. Red Bull tend to be pretty loyal with their young drivers. They almost all get a couple of years. And that STR could be a decent ride next year. It's much easier to shine in a car scoring regular points than one at the back or just outside. He'd have a beatable team mate as well.

Mick would be the beatable teammate next year I'm afraid. He'd likely be facing someone with a lot more experience in F1 like Pascal or Stoffel and who has a lot to prove. I just think it's too soon for him to enter F1. I really don't think he's ready and it's just his name that has everyone getting ahead of themselves. The promotion to F1 for 2019 would not be in his best interest IMO.


I half agree. The thing is turning down a seat is a risk. He'd probably have Kvyat as a team mate and nobody would expect him to beat him in season one. Rookies almost never neat experienced team mates. You may never get that good an opportunity again. I mean say he goes to F2 and finishes 10th or so in his first year. Then what? I think it's best to make the jump when you've got the chance. In a way it's a little similar to Stroll who has talent but was rushed to soon in my opinion. But then if he hadn't who knows what would've happened. You have to strike whilst the iron is hot.

It is a risk for Schumacher to do F2 because he might lose his F1 super license but they want to make sure he's ready for F1 by proving himself at a higher level first wheres the Strolls admitted they didn't want to risk him in F2, I think the actual wording was they didn't want to risk his reputation in F2 or as it was called then GP2.

I think the difference is that Daddy Stroll is a massive F1 fan and he wanted his son to be a F1 driver whereas the Schumacher's only want Mick to do F1 if they are confident he can hold his own and do the Schumacher name justice.

They've actually come out and said this?

Well that's the impression I get otherwise why wait to go into F1 and just do the jump like Stroll did, going to F2 is ultimately high risk if the objective is to merely get to F1, he loses 20 super license points after 2019 and if he performs poorly in F2 he may not get sufficient points back for F1.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Dan Ticktum it appears has chosen to pour some salt on Schumacher

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... regarding/

Quote:
Unfortunately however I am fighting a losing battle as my last name is not Schumacher.


I can't see this ending well for Ticktum?

Wow. I must admit that the thought crossed my mind that machinery might have something to do with this; considering Mick's team seems to be firmly in control these last two race weekends. For Ticktum to make those comments though is really in bad taste; especially if he has nothing other than the results to back them up. I don't think anything too fishy is going on. Maybe just a setup breakthrough.

The thing is that spec series don't always define you have equal cars, some teams do a better job and in F3 in particular you can develop your own aero or at least you could when Stroll was racing, not sure if that got changed to make it cheaper?

It wouldn't surprise me if Prema had a better car, they have often in the past, but then why would they then favour Schumacher and Schvartzman over their teammates bearing in mind some of these are Ferrari junior drivers and I believe Prema have reasonably close ties with Ferrari?

Then having said the two Prema drivers were in a league of their own then why call out Schumacher being favoured because of his name, it lacks a bit of logic with Schumacher it seems getting the brunt of it because it's him that's scuppering any chance Ticktum had of being in F1 next year with him also saying he's being robbed of the title.

There was other drivers that were beating Ticktum as well, I think he had a 4th, 7th and a 8th, so it starts to smell of excuses, the previous round he apparently said he lost focus because of all the F1 attention he was getting to excuse some not so good performances.


Poker, in your link above there is no mention of that quote naming Mick Schumacher. Is there a mistake or am I missing it somewhere?

It's mentioned in the replies below plus I had read other articles that mentioned Schumacher, anyway here's another article.

https://www.autosport.com/f3/news/13891 ... r-f3-surge

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 3063
Given his own controversial history, I doubt Ticktum is doing himself any favours with Helmut Marko by courting controversy like that, regardless of whether there is any truth to what he is eluding to.

As far as Schumacher goes, Pokerman's earlier point about him losing 20 superlicense points next year is spot on. Sure, he could graduate to F2 with Prema and be in a good position to finish 6th or higher in the championship to ensure he scores enough superlicense points to continue to be above 40 (assuming he's won this year's F3 title). But if he misses out on such a finish then he's back to being ineligible to race in F1, which then means he would have to spend another season in F2, meaning he wouldn't be on the F1 grid earlier than 2021. And if he has two seasons in F2 without strong finishes then he's going to miss his F1 chance anyway, even with the Schumacher name. So if he has the opportunity to race in F1 next year, I think he has to take it.

_________________
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x7
2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Given his own controversial history, I doubt Ticktum is doing himself any favours with Helmut Marko by courting controversy like that, regardless of whether there is any truth to what he is eluding to.

As far as Schumacher goes, Pokerman's earlier point about him losing 20 superlicense points next year is spot on. Sure, he could graduate to F2 with Prema and be in a good position to finish 6th or higher in the championship to ensure he scores enough superlicense points to continue to be above 40 (assuming he's won this year's F3 title). But if he misses out on such a finish then he's back to being ineligible to race in F1, which then means he would have to spend another season in F2, meaning he wouldn't be on the F1 grid earlier than 2021. And if he has two seasons in F2 without strong finishes then he's going to miss his F1 chance anyway, even with the Schumacher name. So if he has the opportunity to race in F1 next year, I think he has to take it.

Which I guess goes back to what I was saying given the rumours I have heard about him doing F2, if he does do F2 then then that's the Schumacher's wanting Mick to prove himself at a higher level to ensure he will be a credible F1 driver and not seen as just somebody in F1 because he's called Schumacher.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 6565
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Wow. I must admit that the thought crossed my mind that machinery might have something to do with this; considering Mick's team seems to be firmly in control these last two race weekends. For Ticktum to make those comments though is really in bad taste; especially if he has nothing other than the results to back them up. I don't think anything too fishy is going on. Maybe just a setup breakthrough.

The thing is that spec series don't always define you have equal cars, some teams do a better job and in F3 in particular you can develop your own aero or at least you could when Stroll was racing, not sure if that got changed to make it cheaper?

It wouldn't surprise me if Prema had a better car, they have often in the past, but then why would they then favour Schumacher and Schvartzman over their teammates bearing in mind some of these are Ferrari junior drivers and I believe Prema have reasonably close ties with Ferrari?

Then having said the two Prema drivers were in a league of their own then why call out Schumacher being favoured because of his name, it lacks a bit of logic with Schumacher it seems getting the brunt of it because it's him that's scuppering any chance Ticktum had of being in F1 next year with him also saying he's being robbed of the title.

There was other drivers that were beating Ticktum as well, I think he had a 4th, 7th and a 8th, so it starts to smell of excuses, the previous round he apparently said he lost focus because of all the F1 attention he was getting to excuse some not so good performances.


Poker, in your link above there is no mention of that quote naming Mick Schumacher. Is there a mistake or am I missing it somewhere?

It's mentioned in the replies below plus I had read other articles that mentioned Schumacher, anyway here's another article.

https://www.autosport.com/f3/news/13891 ... r-f3-surge


Thank you. I missed it in the comments.

Very weird how he is not suggesting anything illegal, but he still make these comments... Mind games?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Wow. I must admit that the thought crossed my mind that machinery might have something to do with this; considering Mick's team seems to be firmly in control these last two race weekends. For Ticktum to make those comments though is really in bad taste; especially if he has nothing other than the results to back them up. I don't think anything too fishy is going on. Maybe just a setup breakthrough.

The thing is that spec series don't always define you have equal cars, some teams do a better job and in F3 in particular you can develop your own aero or at least you could when Stroll was racing, not sure if that got changed to make it cheaper?

It wouldn't surprise me if Prema had a better car, they have often in the past, but then why would they then favour Schumacher and Schvartzman over their teammates bearing in mind some of these are Ferrari junior drivers and I believe Prema have reasonably close ties with Ferrari?

Then having said the two Prema drivers were in a league of their own then why call out Schumacher being favoured because of his name, it lacks a bit of logic with Schumacher it seems getting the brunt of it because it's him that's scuppering any chance Ticktum had of being in F1 next year with him also saying he's being robbed of the title.

There was other drivers that were beating Ticktum as well, I think he had a 4th, 7th and a 8th, so it starts to smell of excuses, the previous round he apparently said he lost focus because of all the F1 attention he was getting to excuse some not so good performances.


Poker, in your link above there is no mention of that quote naming Mick Schumacher. Is there a mistake or am I missing it somewhere?

It's mentioned in the replies below plus I had read other articles that mentioned Schumacher, anyway here's another article.

https://www.autosport.com/f3/news/13891 ... r-f3-surge


Thank you. I missed it in the comments.

Very weird how he is not suggesting anything illegal, but he still make these comments... Mind games?

Hardly mind games more like somebody losing the plot, anyway I think it's being said that his comments have now been removed, I'm guessing someone high up at Red Bull had a word?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 3063
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
The thing is that spec series don't always define you have equal cars, some teams do a better job and in F3 in particular you can develop your own aero or at least you could when Stroll was racing, not sure if that got changed to make it cheaper?

It wouldn't surprise me if Prema had a better car, they have often in the past, but then why would they then favour Schumacher and Schvartzman over their teammates bearing in mind some of these are Ferrari junior drivers and I believe Prema have reasonably close ties with Ferrari?

Then having said the two Prema drivers were in a league of their own then why call out Schumacher being favoured because of his name, it lacks a bit of logic with Schumacher it seems getting the brunt of it because it's him that's scuppering any chance Ticktum had of being in F1 next year with him also saying he's being robbed of the title.

There was other drivers that were beating Ticktum as well, I think he had a 4th, 7th and a 8th, so it starts to smell of excuses, the previous round he apparently said he lost focus because of all the F1 attention he was getting to excuse some not so good performances.


Poker, in your link above there is no mention of that quote naming Mick Schumacher. Is there a mistake or am I missing it somewhere?

It's mentioned in the replies below plus I had read other articles that mentioned Schumacher, anyway here's another article.

https://www.autosport.com/f3/news/13891 ... r-f3-surge


Thank you. I missed it in the comments.

Very weird how he is not suggesting anything illegal, but he still make these comments... Mind games?

Hardly mind games more like somebody losing the plot, anyway I think it's being said that his comments have now been removed, I'm guessing someone high up at Red Bull had a word?


Indeed. It's a bit late for mind games when you've blown a 36 point advantage in the standings.

_________________
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x7
2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 6565
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
The thing is that spec series don't always define you have equal cars, some teams do a better job and in F3 in particular you can develop your own aero or at least you could when Stroll was racing, not sure if that got changed to make it cheaper?

It wouldn't surprise me if Prema had a better car, they have often in the past, but then why would they then favour Schumacher and Schvartzman over their teammates bearing in mind some of these are Ferrari junior drivers and I believe Prema have reasonably close ties with Ferrari?

Then having said the two Prema drivers were in a league of their own then why call out Schumacher being favoured because of his name, it lacks a bit of logic with Schumacher it seems getting the brunt of it because it's him that's scuppering any chance Ticktum had of being in F1 next year with him also saying he's being robbed of the title.

There was other drivers that were beating Ticktum as well, I think he had a 4th, 7th and a 8th, so it starts to smell of excuses, the previous round he apparently said he lost focus because of all the F1 attention he was getting to excuse some not so good performances.


Poker, in your link above there is no mention of that quote naming Mick Schumacher. Is there a mistake or am I missing it somewhere?

It's mentioned in the replies below plus I had read other articles that mentioned Schumacher, anyway here's another article.

https://www.autosport.com/f3/news/13891 ... r-f3-surge


Thank you. I missed it in the comments.

Very weird how he is not suggesting anything illegal, but he still make these comments... Mind games?

Hardly mind games more like somebody losing the plot, anyway I think it's being said that his comments have now been removed, I'm guessing someone high up at Red Bull had a word?


Whatever it was, it definitely backfired


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Poker, in your link above there is no mention of that quote naming Mick Schumacher. Is there a mistake or am I missing it somewhere?

It's mentioned in the replies below plus I had read other articles that mentioned Schumacher, anyway here's another article.

https://www.autosport.com/f3/news/13891 ... r-f3-surge


Thank you. I missed it in the comments.

Very weird how he is not suggesting anything illegal, but he still make these comments... Mind games?

Hardly mind games more like somebody losing the plot, anyway I think it's being said that his comments have now been removed, I'm guessing someone high up at Red Bull had a word?


Whatever it was, it definitely backfired

Well it was not well thought out, he only has to impress Red Bull and if he had such thoughts he could have passed them on to them, from my point of view I would say that Prema have the best car as they normally do.

As a general appeal to the public he could have said that Prema have a better car but to target Schumacher with words like he is disadvantaged because his last name is not Schumacher, that's terrible.

Given his shady past you would think he might have learned some grace but that seems to be somewhat inherent in his character, also from what I've seen he doesn't really come across as an outstanding talent, you might consider Red Bull would drop him but then again their junior program is in such dissaray maybe they need to keep him on regardless?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 6565
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
It's mentioned in the replies below plus I had read other articles that mentioned Schumacher, anyway here's another article.

https://www.autosport.com/f3/news/13891 ... r-f3-surge


Thank you. I missed it in the comments.

Very weird how he is not suggesting anything illegal, but he still make these comments... Mind games?

Hardly mind games more like somebody losing the plot, anyway I think it's being said that his comments have now been removed, I'm guessing someone high up at Red Bull had a word?


Whatever it was, it definitely backfired

Well it was not well thought out, he only has to impress Red Bull and if he had such thoughts he could have passed them on to them, from my point of view I would say that Prema have the best car as they normally do.

As a general appeal to the public he could have said that Prema have a better car but to target Schumacher with words like he is disadvantaged because his last name is not Schumacher, that's terrible.

Given his shady past you would think he might have learned some grace but that seems to be somewhat inherent in his character, also from what I've seen he doesn't really come across as an outstanding talent, you might consider Red Bull would drop him but then again their junior program is in such dissaray maybe they need to keep him on regardless?

Yeah. About the bold part, I've heard it before in this thread; what is that all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Thank you. I missed it in the comments.

Very weird how he is not suggesting anything illegal, but he still make these comments... Mind games?

Hardly mind games more like somebody losing the plot, anyway I think it's being said that his comments have now been removed, I'm guessing someone high up at Red Bull had a word?


Whatever it was, it definitely backfired

Well it was not well thought out, he only has to impress Red Bull and if he had such thoughts he could have passed them on to them, from my point of view I would say that Prema have the best car as they normally do.

As a general appeal to the public he could have said that Prema have a better car but to target Schumacher with words like he is disadvantaged because his last name is not Schumacher, that's terrible.

Given his shady past you would think he might have learned some grace but that seems to be somewhat inherent in his character, also from what I've seen he doesn't really come across as an outstanding talent, you might consider Red Bull would drop him but then again their junior program is in such dissaray maybe they need to keep him on regardless?

Yeah. About the bold part, I've heard it before in this thread; what is that all about?

He got pushed off the track by his main rival on the opening lap I believe?

Anyway that put him to the back of the field and a SC got called soon after, under the SC he started passing cars until he came upon his main rival and then he crashed him out of the race, that's the gist of it.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:05 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6090
Location: Michigan, USA
Siao7 wrote:
Yeah. About the bold part, I've heard it before in this thread; what is that all about?

Pokerman has the gist of it correct, but here's a more detailed article from the time: https://www.autosport.com/national/news ... ng-episode

Honestly, how that wasn't the end of his career is beyond me. The amount of time you would have to reconsider what you're about to do while driving through the field to get to your rival makes it hard to consider it a pure red-mist moment.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 6565
Ah, thanks both


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 6565
Exediron wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Yeah. About the bold part, I've heard it before in this thread; what is that all about?

Pokerman has the gist of it correct, but here's a more detailed article from the time: https://www.autosport.com/national/news ... ng-episode

Honestly, how that wasn't the end of his career is beyond me. The amount of time you would have to reconsider what you're about to do while driving through the field to get to your rival makes it hard to consider it a pure red-mist moment.


Wow, I just read this and it was disgusting. That was purely a revenge mission if I ever saw one!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:13 pm
Posts: 348
I have little doubt Mick will be F1 champion in the near future. He may even be the one to take over from Lewis. The real talent in F1 is attracting more talent to work around you and Mick I think has inherited that from his father. I am sure he will bring something new to the table as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 6565
pendulumeffect wrote:
I have little doubt Mick will be F1 champion in the near future. He may even be the one to take over from Lewis. The real talent in F1 is attracting more talent to work around you and Mick I think has inherited that from his father. I am sure he will bring something new to the table as well.

A tall order and he surely has some big big shoes to fill. All the best luck to him, he looks like a genuinely good lad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5556
pendulumeffect wrote:
I have little doubt Mick will be F1 champion in the near future. He may even be the one to take over from Lewis. The real talent in F1 is attracting more talent to work around you and Mick I think has inherited that from his father. I am sure he will bring something new to the table as well.

No pressure! I just expect you to be exactly like your father Michael and to replace Lewis Hamilton seamlessly...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
pendulumeffect wrote:
I have little doubt Mick will be F1 champion in the near future. He may even be the one to take over from Lewis. The real talent in F1 is attracting more talent to work around you and Mick I think has inherited that from his father. I am sure he will bring something new to the table as well.

It's way to early to start talking like that, F3 is 3 rungs down from F1 and is a title that Lance Stroll won with 1 years less car racing experience than Mick, let's see how he performs in F2.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1794
Watching race 2 live on YouTube. He can clinch the title if he stays in P2 and Ticktum can't improve

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
Mick Schumacher F3 Champion, his dad would be proud.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:54 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6090
Location: Michigan, USA
pokerman wrote:
Mick Schumacher F3 Champion, his dad would be proud.

Good for him. I see him as a much worthier winner than Ticktum, whom I'm far from a supporter of.

I still think he should move to F2 next year, though. Jumping straight to F1 with the level of pressure and expectation he'd be carrying would be unwise.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mick Schumacher F3 Champion, his dad would be proud.

Good for him. I see him as a much worthier winner than Ticktum, whom I'm far from a supporter of.

I still think he should move to F2 next year, though. Jumping straight to F1 with the level of pressure and expectation he'd be carrying would be unwise.

I believe the plan is to go to F2, as for Ticktum he's classless.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 880
Location: UK
Perhaps this is premature but projecting into the future should Mick Schumacher get catapulted into F1and be at the same level as his father in 2 years time we could have a golden age of F1 to enjoy.

With Vettel on the wane, Hamilton close to retirement, a new car format and the prospect of a rampant Schumacher v Verstappen rivalry could make for some seriously proper racing!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:07 pm
Posts: 391


Mick has also some big balls, his overtaking skills are excellent.

Can't wait to see him in F2.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
Option or Prime wrote:
Perhaps this is premature but projecting into the future should Mick Schumacher get catapulted into F1and be at the same level as his father in 2 years time we could have a golden age of F1 to enjoy.

With Vettel on the wane, Hamilton close to retirement, a new car format and the prospect of a rampant Schumacher v Verstappen rivalry could make for some seriously proper racing!

I would say it's very premature. :)

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:06 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6090
Location: Michigan, USA
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Perhaps this is premature but projecting into the future should Mick Schumacher get catapulted into F1and be at the same level as his father in 2 years time we could have a golden age of F1 to enjoy.

With Vettel on the wane, Hamilton close to retirement, a new car format and the prospect of a rampant Schumacher v Verstappen rivalry could make for some seriously proper racing!

I would say it's very premature. :)

Yeah, quite premature, but if he now continues to show this recent form he should be a player in F1 when he gets there.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 880
Location: UK
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Perhaps this is premature but projecting into the future should Mick Schumacher get catapulted into F1and be at the same level as his father in 2 years time we could have a golden age of F1 to enjoy.

With Vettel on the wane, Hamilton close to retirement, a new car format and the prospect of a rampant Schumacher v Verstappen rivalry could make for some seriously proper racing!

I would say it's very premature. :)


OK so I'm suggesting 2020 for this as a scenario, when would you think it would be more feasible. Verstappen made pretty rapid progress!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:34 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6090
Location: Michigan, USA
Option or Prime wrote:
OK so I'm suggesting 2020 for this as a scenario, when would you think it would be more feasible. Verstappen made pretty rapid progress!

The premature part I think would be to suggest that Mick would be one of the two top drivers in F1 in 2020. All he's done so far is take a convincing victory in F3, something Lance Stroll also did. He needs to show the same competitiveness at a higher level for me to be convinced he's going to be Max's equal.

And yes, Max did make rapid progress - but not everyone is Max. On top of that, I have long held that he was promoted to F1 too early, and I still feel that way.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 880
Location: UK
Exediron wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
OK so I'm suggesting 2020 for this as a scenario, when would you think it would be more feasible. Verstappen made pretty rapid progress!

The premature part I think would be to suggest that Mick would be one of the two top drivers in F1 in 2020. All he's done so far is take a convincing victory in F3, something Lance Stroll also did. He needs to show the same competitiveness at a higher level for me to be convinced he's going to be Max's equal.

And yes, Max did make rapid progress - but not everyone is Max. On top of that, I have long held that he was promoted to F1 too early, and I still feel that way.


Interesting, I don't disagree but there does seem to be a trend to get F1 drivers to learn on the job. George Russell is 20, Llando Norris 18, Charles LeClerc 20, Mick Schumacher would be 21 in 2020. I just wonder if the fact that there are now so many safety features on the cars, Halo, wheel tethers, run offs, VSC for example today that the risk of introducing an inexperienced rookie driver into the world of F1 has been diluted.

Presumably you would advocate drivers to 'learn their craft' before racing in F1 would provide cleaner racing. I take your point about MS needing to prove his talent at all levels, but let's say he does and his name got him a drive in a red car he could win the WDC in his first year, after all LH nearly did it didn't he?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Perhaps this is premature but projecting into the future should Mick Schumacher get catapulted into F1and be at the same level as his father in 2 years time we could have a golden age of F1 to enjoy.

With Vettel on the wane, Hamilton close to retirement, a new car format and the prospect of a rampant Schumacher v Verstappen rivalry could make for some seriously proper racing!

I would say it's very premature. :)


OK so I'm suggesting 2020 for this as a scenario, when would you think it would be more feasible. Verstappen made pretty rapid progress!

It's taken Schumacher 4 years to make people stand up and take notice, it took Verstappen about 6 months, I would look at 2021 for Schumacher provided of course he does well in F2.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28420
Option or Prime wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
OK so I'm suggesting 2020 for this as a scenario, when would you think it would be more feasible. Verstappen made pretty rapid progress!

The premature part I think would be to suggest that Mick would be one of the two top drivers in F1 in 2020. All he's done so far is take a convincing victory in F3, something Lance Stroll also did. He needs to show the same competitiveness at a higher level for me to be convinced he's going to be Max's equal.

And yes, Max did make rapid progress - but not everyone is Max. On top of that, I have long held that he was promoted to F1 too early, and I still feel that way.


Interesting, I don't disagree but there does seem to be a trend to get F1 drivers to learn on the job. George Russell is 20, Llando Norris 18, Charles LeClerc 20, Mick Schumacher would be 21 in 2020. I just wonder if the fact that there are now so many safety features on the cars, Halo, wheel tethers, run offs, VSC for example today that the risk of introducing an inexperienced rookie driver into the world of F1 has been diluted.

Presumably you would advocate drivers to 'learn their craft' before racing in F1 would provide cleaner racing. I take your point about MS needing to prove his talent at all levels, but let's say he does and his name got him a drive in a red car he could win the WDC in his first year, after all LH nearly did it didn't he?

Both Leclerc and Russell have not been rushed into F1, they both were GP3 Champions and then immediately showed to be the best drivers in F2, if you win the title as a rookie then you're ready for F1 especially as you are no longer allowed to compete in F2.

Norris however has been rushed into F1 on the premise he's a special talent and McLaren don't want to lose him much like what happened with Verstappen at Red Bull, I would say the jury is out on Norris but still in comparison to Schumacher he has been more impressive.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exediron, JamWalsh and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group