18. Carlos Sainz 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
19. Marcus Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
20. Charles Leclerc 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 168
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:24 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
Hamilton was incredible today.

I don't understand the votes for Kimi.

If you think the tyre issues were self inflicted, then that weakens the case for Kimi. If they were more down to the car (which is possible, since they happened to Vettel, too, although it has to be said he was having to carve his way through traffic) then a vote for Kimi makes sense. He was pretty aggressive, feisty in attack and defence and remained clean throughout. The opening stint showed some really good and close racing from two top drivers and Kimi only looked really vulnerable once his tyre started to go

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:31 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Dash33 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Dash33 wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Behave, Kimi may well have burnt his tyres going for gold when undercutting Hamilton, but Bottas backing him up lap upon lap, his dirty air contributing to Kimi's tyre problem and then allowing Hamilton to close up quickly without taking the life out of his tyres absolute contributed to Hamilton winning.

As said, Hamilton was flawless, but flawless would not have been good enough today without help from firstly Ferrari, and secondly from Bottas.

There are many factors in a race but you categorically state that Hamilton would not have won without Bottas. I think that's silly. My opinion is that he was clearly the fastest guy out there and, as you state, he drove flawlessly. So I would credit him with the win, simple as that. You can speculate but it is Hamilton who raced and won. One Ferrari made an error and the other wasn't quite fast enough on the day.
It's not silly to recognise factors at play. Nor does it discredit Hamilton to acknowledge that other events helped him secure his win. Bottas allowed Hamilton to close the gap, and then Kimi's struggles with the tyres allowed him to overtake. Without both of those factors it looked like Kimi had enough to secure the win, even though Hamilton did ultimately look faster

Its not silly to take other factors in to account but to say he wouldn't have won without it is, in my opinion. I think he would have likely won without Bottas.

It's possible that he may have won, but it's equally possible that he may not have. Like it or not Bottas' actions and Kiimi's tyres did influence the outcome and the only real question is to what degree. It's hardly silly to take a position on that

Its just you seemed so sure he wouldnt have won before.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:34 pm 

Zoue wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

If you think the tyre issues were self inflicted, then that weakens the case for Kimi. If they were more down to the car (which is possible, since they happened to Vettel, too, although it has to be said he was having to carve his way through traffic) then a vote for Kimi makes sense. He was pretty aggressive, feisty in attack and defence and remained clean throughout. The opening stint showed some really good and close racing from two top drivers and Kimi only looked really vulnerable once his tyre started to go

It wasn't just the tyres though, towards the end the Ferrari radio told him t stay of the kerbs as the vibration was becoming critical, I believe that was referring to the suspension being close to failure. That also might have been self inflicted but would account for loss of pace with the tyres. He defended as long as he could then just staggered to the finish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:38 pm 

Dash33 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Dash33 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Dash33 wrote:

There are many factors in a race but you categorically state that Hamilton would not have won without Bottas. I think that's silly. My opinion is that he was clearly the fastest guy out there and, as you state, he drove flawlessly. So I would credit him with the win, simple as that. You can speculate but it is Hamilton who raced and won. One Ferrari made an error and the other wasn't quite fast enough on the day.
It's not silly to recognise factors at play. Nor does it discredit Hamilton to acknowledge that other events helped him secure his win. Bottas allowed Hamilton to close the gap, and then Kimi's struggles with the tyres allowed him to overtake. Without both of those factors it looked like Kimi had enough to secure the win, even though Hamilton did ultimately look faster

Its not silly to take other factors in to account but to say he wouldn't have won without it is, in my opinion. I think he would have likely won without Bottas.

It's possible that he may have won, but it's equally possible that he may not have. Like it or not Bottas' actions and Kiimi's tyres did influence the outcome and the only real question is to what degree. It's hardly silly to take a position on that

Its just you seemed so sure he wouldnt have won before.

I think he's the weaker of the two Ferrari drivers and I'm actually quite (pleasantly) surprised at the fight he put up. I think Vettel may probably have managed to open a gap on Hamilton at the beginning, which Kimi was unable to do. But just as Kimi was able to fend Lewis off in the first stint, without his tyre issues what makes you think he would have been unable to do so in the second? Nothing's guaranteed, but neither possibility is outlandish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:40 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Zoue wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

It wasn't just the tyres though, towards the end the Ferrari radio told him t stay of the kerbs as the vibration was becoming critical, I believe that was referring to the suspension being close to failure. That also might have been self inflicted but would account for loss of pace with the tyres. He defended as long as he could then just staggered to the finish.

yeah, the point is without issues it looked like he had enough to win, but only just. But with a crippled car he stood little chance in the end

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:29 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Hamilton & Raikkonen for the racelong battle at the front.

For being the best of the rest champion Grosjean. If he keeps this up he may keep his seat.

Honorable mention to Valtteri Bottas for keeping himself in competition today despite not being comfortable with the car today and having to drive to team orders.

If he hadn't had an awful first eight races then he could very easily be seventh ahead of Hulk. He's only seventeen points behind him.

In the last six races he's scored in five and retired in the other. In those six races no one outside of the top six has scored more than him. He's also scored more than Ricciardo in that time but that's partly down to four retirements for Daniel.

Well nevermind :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:58 am 

Zoue wrote:
Dash33 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Dash33 wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Behave, Kimi may well have burnt his tyres going for gold when undercutting Hamilton, but Bottas backing him up lap upon lap, his dirty air contributing to Kimi's tyre problem and then allowing Hamilton to close up quickly without taking the life out of his tyres absolute contributed to Hamilton winning.

As said, Hamilton was flawless, but flawless would not have been good enough today without help from firstly Ferrari, and secondly from Bottas.

Without meaning to sound facetious, everything has an impact on the race, but I hear what you are saying. I'm being a contrarian because I thought LH was in sublime form this week-end. I read him quoted, after qualifying, saying that he would have to employ karting style overtaking to split the Ferraris and that's exactly what he did. LH's drive today was one of the most impressive I have seen. He really went after it and it worked, forcing SV in to making an error and then KR/Ferrari too. I don't know if it is really relevant but I read that they weren't able to test the softs because they didn't bring enough. I also read (again - don't know if it's accurate) that KR may have then pushed too hard on his out laps on those softs. I guess the implication being that Ferrari made errors as a team. Either way what I saw was arguably the best driver of the modern era having one of his best days.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:16 am 

Dash33 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Dash33 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Dash33 wrote:

Without meaning to sound facetious, everything has an impact on the race, but I hear what you are saying. I'm being a contrarian because I thought LH was in sublime form this week-end. I read him quoted, after qualifying, saying that he would have to employ karting style overtaking to split the Ferraris and that's exactly what he did. LH's drive today was one of the most impressive I have seen. He really went after it and it worked, forcing SV in to making an error and then KR/Ferrari too. I don't know if it is really relevant but I read that they weren't able to test the softs because they didn't bring enough. I also read (again - don't know if it's accurate) that KR may have then pushed too hard on his out laps on those softs. I guess the implication being that Ferrari made errors as a team. Either way what I saw was arguably the best driver of the modern era having one of his best days.

Hamilton did drive well and was feisty and aggressive throughout the race. He always looked dangerous and Kimi couldn't sit back for a second. However, being fast and being able to overtake are two very different things. Kimi couldn't find his way past Bottas, despite the latter being on much older (but still healthy) tyres. If Kimi's tyres hadn't gone, it's hard to see how Hamilton was going to find a way past. It wouldn't have been down to a lack of skill or anything.

I think Kimi pushing too hard is conjecture. He needed to push to be sure of staying out ahead of Lewis and of creating a gap so that Lewis wouldn't be breathing down his neck like he was throughout the first stint. It's always great with hindsight but we don't really know what impact that had nor whether he would have had the blistering anyway.

I thought both Kimi and Lewis both drove really well and it was only track position that made the difference. The first stint was great to watch and both drivers showed impressive racecraft. I'm inclined to think that Bottas' holding action had a significant impact on Kimi's tyres, coupled with the possibly too-long stint (although in theory they should have lasted). But I absolutely agree that it was possible that Lewis might have won anyway. I just don't think either viewpoint is silly, that's all

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:00 am 

Zoue wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Zoue wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

yeah, the point is without issues it looked like he had enough to win, but only just. But with a crippled car he stood little chance in the end

The vibrations would have been due to the tyres being knackered putting vibrations through the suspension that its not designed for. Its been seen before where a driver seriously flat spots a tyre and has to pit for a new set to avoid damaging the suspension

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:07 am 

Forgetting track position it would have been interesting if Vettel had stayed with Kimi, Bottas and Hamilton. What Kimi/Ferrari needed was some protection and Vettel still being there might have provided that. Would Ferrari have insisted Kimi move over for Vettel when in the lead on lap 45 ish I wonder?

Fact is Hamilton was on a mission yesterday, it is hard to see any other result than a win.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:14 am 

angrypirate wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Zoue wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

The vibrations would have been due to the tyres being knackered putting vibrations through the suspension that its not designed for. Its been seen before where a driver seriously flat spots a tyre and has to pit for a new set to avoid damaging the suspension

OK good point, but does the fact that Kimi rides the kerbs become a factor and is that style different to Vettel?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:09 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
angrypirate wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Zoue wrote:

OK good point, but does the fact that Kimi rides the kerbs become a factor and is that style different to Vettel?

It's possibly a factor, but IIRC Kimi tends to have a pretty gentle style on the tyres and isn't known for being hard on them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:37 pm 

Checo's not getting much credit for his drive here. He started in 14th & in the initial laps with a scuffle with Magnussen, the side of his car was damaged a lot. Still he was lapping quite good. He was lapping faster than Ocon & Grosjean as well but once he caught up with Ocon, his pace got affected a little. Together (Checo & Ocon) have amassed 32 points in 2 races breathing down the necks of McLaren for 6th in WCC already!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:43 pm 

Dash33 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Dash33 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Dash33 wrote:

Indeed Hamilton went out and won that race.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 1st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:21 pm 

froze wrote:
Hamilton, Raikkonen, Bottas, because:

Hamilton: Was hanging in there and managed to make it stick when it mattered.
Raikkonen: There is nothing he could've done better after being sandwiched by the Mercs. Not a foot wrong in the whole weekend, but lost to Merc's team effort.
Bottas: Basically the instigator in Hamilton's win. Did a tremendous favor for his teammate.

I agree, all 3 drivers had close battles.

I would also include the Force India drivers after that. Impressive stuff!... :smug:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:51 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Checo's not getting much credit for his drive here. He started in 14th & in the initial laps with a scuffle with Magnussen, the side of his car was damaged a lot. Still he was lapping quite good. He was lapping faster than Ocon & Grosjean as well but once he caught up with Ocon, his pace got affected a little. Together (Checo & Ocon) have amassed 32 points in 2 races breathing down the necks of McLaren for 6th in WCC already!

In classic Force India style they have improved in a big way over their iffy start to the season. Without the ownership change and the points loss they would have moved back into their customary 4th place in the WCC on 91 points. An amazing team of people

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:53 pm 

mcdo wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

In classic Force India style they have improved in a big way over their iffy start to the season. Without the ownership change and the points loss they would have moved back into their customary 4th place in the WCC on 91 points. An amazing team of people

I wonder if it's more that the last two tracks have suited their car. Singapore will be the real test of how far they have come. I still feel that Haas and possibly Renault are still faster overall.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:14 pm 

I was glad that for once the F1 voters saw some sense and gave it to Räikkönen, so did I.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:44 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
For me,

Hamilton, Verstappen & Perez

Verstappen despite his dangerous/stupid move on Bottas?

Verstappen for being competitive enough on a power track. Ricciardo was never close to him anywhere throughout the weekend.

Except when he was 4/10ths quicker than him in FP1 and a 10th slower in FP2.

A little late...but in the (wet) FP1 Verstappen was faster with more than 1 sec than Ric and was in P1, before the last charge when the track was improved and a few drivers went on track to improve consistently their times with Ric between them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:46 pm 

Lots of DOTD votes for the disqualified one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:51 pm 

Fiki wrote:
I was glad that for once the F1 voters saw some sense and gave it to Räikkönen, so did I.

Hamilton has more votes. :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:10 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:

On our forum, yes. But the F1 trophy went to Kimi. I should have been clearer about that, my mistake!

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:25 am 

Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fiki wrote:

On our forum, yes. But the F1 trophy went to Kimi. I should have been clearer about that, my mistake!

Oh right, fair enough

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:12 am 

j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I wonder if it's more that the last two tracks have suited their car. Singapore will be the real test of how far they have come. I still feel that Haas and possibly Renault are still faster overall.

No doubt the tracks suited the car but Singapore will as well for 2 reasons.
1). After long Force India will be getting a big upgrade package which will improve their car.
2). Force India have done well in Singapore as well as it's a very traction dependent track & Force India has 1 of the best traction leaving a corner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:57 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
Zoue wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Or his tyres were that bad they could explode with added vibrations?