Seb will squeeze him at the start 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
Kimi, Seb is quicker than you pit call 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Other 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 38
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:11 pm 

So how will it be done?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:27 pm 

Sebastian: “My rears are getting quite hot.”

Sebastian: “This is just silly, I’m just losing time and destroying my tyres. Can’t you see the tyre temperatures? What are you waiting for?”

...and then!!!

Clear: “Kimi, this is Jock. You’re aware we need to look after tyres. Both cars need to look after tyres and you two are on different strategies. We’d like you not to hold up Seb. Thank you.”

Raikkonen: “I’m sorry but can you be direct? What do you want?”

Clear: “Losing as little time as possible where you can, obviously, but Seb is capable of going quicker. He’s hurting his tyres and you are as well. We need to look after them.”

Raikkonen: “So you want me to… let him go? Please. Just tell me."

No points awarded for recognizing this dialogue! :lol:

Last edited by Mort Canard on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:11 pm 

Honestly!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:21 pm 

I think Vettel will get him at the start, Kimi hasn't had the best of starts recently and I can see Seb being quite aggressive into T1.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:33 pm 

Even though I don't think Kimi is very good at keeping the lead, creating a thread asking how he WILL lose the lead is unreasonable. Rather harsh.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:29 pm 

Seb will chop him off the line, possibly leading to a DNF for one or both and the Mercs getting by.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:14 pm 

Is this really an issue? Mercedes openly admits that it will employ team orders, and everybody is mocking Ferrari in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:24 pm 

Last lap.

Ferrari: Kimi, move over for Seb.

Kimi: I don’t have a contract yet.

Ferrari: You have one now or it’s over.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:33 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Is this really an issue? Mercedes openly admits that it will employ team orders, and everybody is mocking Ferrari in advance.

It baffles the mind.

It's like an alternate reality.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:57 am 

Mandatory icecream stop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:19 am 

Slow off the line solves all the drama and the whining on the radio.

That said, Kimi is doing quite well of late. Ferrari should sign him and be done with it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:43 am 

I hope Kimi leads the race. But I can see Vettel trying to be aggressive on start. Kimi will sadly not defend if Vettel really goes for it. Though it will horrible if they both collide. Easiest thing would be in the pitstops. Hopefully Hamilton can have a good start and get past Vettel with Kimi leading the race. That will make the race more interesting at the front.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:21 am 

While I think Kimi has shown he can have a decent turn of pace over one lap, I think his race pace is still suspect these days. I shouldn't be surprised if Vettel starts to complain about being held up not too long into the race.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:37 am 

Vettel has made the better starts recently and with such a long run i imagine he will get the lead. if kimi does lead to the pit window i think they will pit him first and see if vettel has pace in hand to overcut as tyre deg seems low. as much as i berate ferrari i have a feeling if kimi can somehow keep ahead they will let him win. if sv is fast enough he will get past with drs. if not he wont.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:44 am 

As much as I'd love for Kimi to win the race, it's not really in Ferrari's interests for him to do so. He is not a realistic contender for the WDSC, but Vettel is. And given how the season has played out so far it's likely the title will go down to the last race. In which case every point counts and Vettel needs this win to help close the gap to Hamilton. The "right" 1-2 would mean there was only 7 points in it and that only a win away from break-even.

Of course, all this presupposes that Ferrari will finish how they start, but I suspect Hamilton won't let them have it all their own way. I'm guessing it may be a Vettel win, with Hamilton 2nd at the end.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:15 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:

But that is the point. Where Mercedes have been very open about employing team orders, Ferrari and a section of their fanbase seem to be pretending that their drivers are treated equally when anyone can see that Kimi's pitstop strategies are frequently employed with the aim of helping Vettel. It is also mocking Kimi's habit of losing places on the first lap.

As I said on the race thread, Ferrari would be foolish not to be using team orders at this stage. They should just be more open about it than they are, rather than deliberately putting Kimi on unfavourable pitstop strategies just to give the pretence that Vettel beat him on merit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:22 am 

j man wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

But that is the point. Where Mercedes have been very open about employing team orders, Ferrari and a section of their fanbase seem to be pretending that their drivers are treated equally when anyone can see that Kimi's pitstop strategies are frequently employed with the aim of helping Vettel. It is also mocking Kimi's habit of losing places on the first lap.

As I said on the race thread, Ferrari would be foolish not to be using team orders at this stage. They should just be more open about it than they are, rather than deliberately putting Kimi on unfavourable pitstop strategies just to give the pretence that Vettel beat him on merit.

I'd think one of the main differences between Merc and Ferrari using team orders is simply that Kimi has a larger fanbase than Bottas does who will be annoyed if he is forced to slow Vettel past by whichever means the team decide to it (orders or strategy).

But regarding the original question, I'm half expecting Vettel to make an aggressive move into turn 1 and ruin one or both of their races. It all depends how they've been briefed before the race, you'd expect at Monza of all races they have been told that they must not touch under any circumstances and that the team is mote important than any 1 driver to the WDC.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:26 am 

If you were a team owner how would you run your team?
Sure you would :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:47 am 

Bet there were some serious 'contract negotiations' at Ferrari last night, and a post it left on Kimi's steering wheel this morning

"Sebastian is faster than you."

So here's my two cents, LM need to make the races important again. We've got a three way race here, but because of the 'Championship', it will probably under deliver.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:53 am 

Did anyone not have a little chuckle too themselves when Seb said 'Kimi will be allowed to race for the win, I guess...'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:57 am 

minchy wrote:
j man wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

I'd think one of the main differences between Merc and Ferrari using team orders is simply that Kimi has a larger fanbase than Bottas does who will be annoyed if he is forced to slow Vettel past by whichever means the team decide to it (orders or strategy).

But regarding the original question, I'm half expecting Vettel to make an aggressive move into turn 1 and ruin one or both of their races. It all depends how they've been briefed before the race, you'd expect at Monza of all races they have been told that they must not touch under any circumstances and that the team is mote important than any 1 driver to the WDC.

I think there's going to be a lot of p****d off people if Kimi hands the lead to Seb, from pole in Italy. The guy hasn't won a race in how long? It's totally 'understandable' from a Championship point of view, but it leaves a bad taste. Lest we also forget, Kimi is a WDC, Bottas is not.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:07 am 

ALESI wrote:
minchy wrote:
j man wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

I think there's going to be a lot of p****d off people if Kimi hands the lead to Seb, from pole in Italy. The guy hasn't won a race in how long? It's totally 'understandable' from a Championship point of view, but it leaves a bad taste. Lest we also forget, Kimi is a WDC, Bottas is not.

The only people tiddled off will be Hamilton fans really.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:16 am 

Rockie wrote:
ALESI wrote:
minchy wrote:
j man wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

The only people tiddled off will be Hamilton fans really.

Yeah, maybe - as if Bottas wouldn't move over... x(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:27 pm 

Well, we all got it wrong. Nobody picked 'overtaken by Hamilton late in the race'.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:30 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:

Unlike Ferrari, Merc don't deny it. Unlike Ferrari, Merc are not the reasons why the team order rules came in to place originally and also got removed.

Unlike Ferrari, Merc are willing to talk to both of their drivers about team orders. Like when Lewis moved over for Bottas because he was on a difference strategy (faster tyres).

Unlike Ferrari, Merc seem to be doing what it takes to win the championships and don't want to make mistakes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:38 am 

Teddy007 wrote:
Unlike Ferrari, Merc don't deny it. Unlike Ferrari, Merc are not the reasons why the team order rules came in to place originally and also got removed.

Unlike Ferrari, Merc are willing to talk to both of their drivers about team orders. Like when Lewis moved over for Bottas because he was on a difference strategy (faster tyres).

Unlike Ferrari, Merc seem to be doing what it takes to win the championships and don't want to make mistakes.

Complete and utter bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:59 am 

Exediron wrote:
Well, we all got it wrong. Nobody picked 'overtaken by Hamilton late in the race'.

Correct! Still Seb did desperately try to pinch off Kimi at the start and pass him into turn one. Kimi managed to successfully defend. :nod:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:11 am 

Exediron wrote:

Yeah but THAT wasn’t exactly the “HOW” as to why Kimi lost the lead.

The reality is that Ferrari screwed up pit strategy and called him in far too early. With their driver in the lead, they should have allowed Hamilton to dive into the pits first and then immediately called Kimi in so he can get new tires while Hamilton was getting the harder tires up to temp which would’ve therefore allowed Kimi to be fit the pits still in the lead.

It pisses me off that so much is said about Ferrari’s turn around under Arrivabene when the sheer fact is that their good form is in spite of him as he has no prior experience running a race team. All the ground work that was laid before he got the promotion is what has come to fruition and is what is paying dividends for the team... NOT that chain smoking individual.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:49 am 

If Hamilton had undercut Raikkonen like how Bottas undercut Vettel at China, people would claim that Ferrari made a tactical mistake by not reacting to Mercedes getting ready for a pit stop.

The reality of the situation is that Kimi lost the race by not being good enough. Vettel finished only 7 seconds behind in the end with a damaged car.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:53 am 

Teddy007 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

How's them grapes :lol:

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:20 am 

KingVoid wrote:
If Hamilton had undercut Raikkonen like how Bottas undercut Vettel at China, people would claim that Ferrari made a tactical mistake by not reacting to Mercedes getting ready for a pit stop.

The reality of the situation is that Kimi lost the race by not being good enough. Vettel finished only 7 seconds behind in the end with a damaged car.

The gap behind is horrendously misleading. Kimi had to back off massively in the final laps and frankly it's a bit of a miracle that he managed to nurse the car to the finish at all.

I agree it's possible that Vettel may have won it had the situations been reversed, but at this point we don't know for sure whether Kimi's tyre issues were self inflicted or something out of his control. If the latter, then he's not really at fault for his drive. He showed good pace and until the tyre problem had Hamilton covered.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:26 am 

ALESI wrote:
Did anyone not have a little chuckle too themselves when Seb said 'Kimi will be allowed to race for the win, I guess...'

I didn't actually hear this so maybe it would sound different to me otherwise, but just from reading the words I find that very disturbing regarding Vettel's character and the situation inside Ferrari. It also seems at odds with some of the actual actions of the team, as they are not exactly cutthroat in switching their positions sometimes.

It's just generally a foul-smelling comment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:27 am 

Invade wrote:
ALESI wrote:

I didn't actually hear this so maybe it would sound different to me otherwise, but just from reading the words I find that very disturbing regarding Vettel's character and the situation inside Ferrari. It also seems at odds with some of the actual actions of the team, as they are not exactly cutthroat in switching their positions sometimes.

I think you're reading way too much into it, tbh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:07 am 

Invade wrote:
ALESI wrote:

I didn't actually hear it either, but my take on it is that Vettel is being a bit sarcastic in his response, basically saying 'Well, yeah, I guess he'll be allowed to win. He's on pole, after all,' as in that it's really obvious he'll be allowed to win.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 am 

Invade wrote:
ALESI wrote:

If it's in reference to the press conference it's a sarcastic response to a journalist asking if Kimi will be allowed to race for the win.

Quote:
Q: (Andrew Benson – BBC Sport)
"...And is Kimi going to be allowed to win tomorrow?"

SV:
"...And the third one was ‘is Kimi allowed to win’? Well, if he’s starting from pole, I guess he’s allowed to win. It’s a long race. Obviously he wants to win, I want to win. Hopefully one of us will win."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... italy.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:48 am 

Zoue wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

The gap behind is horrendously misleading. Kimi had to back off massively in the final laps and frankly it's a bit of a miracle that he managed to nurse the car to the finish at all.

I agree it's possible that Vettel may have won it had the situations been reversed, but at this point we don't know for sure whether Kimi's tyre issues were self inflicted or something out of his control. If the latter, then he's not really at fault for his drive. He showed good pace and until the tyre problem had Hamilton covered.

Nothing was misleading about the gap, Kimi was horrendously poor in that race and Ferrari have themselves to blame for that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:04 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Invade wrote:
ALESI wrote:

If it's in reference to the press conference it's a sarcastic response to a journalist asking if Kimi will be allowed to race for the win.

Quote:
Q: (Andrew Benson – BBC Sport)
"...And is Kimi going to be allowed to win tomorrow?"

SV:
"...And the third one was ‘is Kimi allowed to win’? Well, if he’s starting from pole, I guess he’s allowed to win. It’s a long race. Obviously he wants to win, I want to win. Hopefully one of us will win."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... italy.html

That clears it up - thanks. Nothing to see here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:20 am 

Rockie wrote:
Zoue wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Nothing was misleading about the gap, Kimi was horrendously poor in that race and Ferrari have themselves to blame for that.
Of course the gap was misleading. Horrendously poor is just emotions talking. In the closing laps Kimi was dropping a good second per lap on what he had been doing before, if not more. He was obviously nursing the car home as the rear tyre was in a bad way. Maybe Vettel could have done better, but there again he's a better driver overall. Horrendously poor is just ridiculous hyperbole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:45 am 

Zoue wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

I have not heard or read anything about Kimi's tyres being a car problem. James Allen's report has said the blistering happened because Kimi was pushing more than needed at the beginning of the stint, Mark Hughes reports the same. After 6 laps Kimi had the gap down to 18.3, 6 seconds more than needed, shows he pushed too hard.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pire ... 80/?nrt=54

"Although the lack of running earlier in the weekend was the same for all teams, Raikkonen was especially hurt in the race because of the unique circumstances he faced.

After his pitstop, he had had to push harder and longer than he would have liked on his fresh tyres to ensure that Lewis Hamilton could not overcut him.

The combination of doing that, plus being trapped behind Valtteri Bottas’ car which meant his car was losing downforce and sliding more, ultimately triggered the blistering problems that proved so costly.

“The soft compound is more prone to blisters because of the low wear,” added Isola. “Low wear means a lot of heat generation inside the compound and therefore blisters.

“If you follow another car you lose some downforce, and you slide a bit more. So compared to the supersoft, which is generating more grip and sliding less, this is all creating blisters.

“Then it is clear that if you push from lap one when the tyre is new, you have more rubber and you exacerbate the effect.”

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:16 am 

Rockie wrote:
Zoue wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Did we see the same race? I saw a Räikkönen demonstrating once again what Hamilton said sometime last year I believe; you can't follow behind another car in F1 at present, without consequences for your tyres. That he found himself in that position was due in large part to the fact that he wasn't driving for a team, while the Mercedes drivers were.
I may not like it, but I'm constantly being reminded that F1 is a team sport.

If anybody at Ferrari was horrendous, it was their number 5 driver living up to his race number...

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi