It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:17 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:52 pm 

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:24 pm 

Before the weekend begins, we can expect a few announcements from Perez, Stroll, Haas etc. A lot to look forward to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:37 pm 

Looks like the best chance of a Ferrari home victory in recent years.

Really looking forward to seeing who's quicker here. In theory it should be Ferrari right? but I remember thinking that last year as there aren't any high speed corners and they were absolutely blown away by Mercedes. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:38 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Really looking forward to seeing who's quicker here. In theory it should be Ferrari right? but I remember thinking that last year as there aren't any high speed corners and they were absolutely blown away by Mercedes. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last year, Mercedes engines were the best but not this year. It should be close though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:48 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

I'd argue that the majority of the corners are fast corners. The Lesmos, Parabolica and Ascari are all fast and will probably play to Mercedes' strengths. It's only the first two chicanes that aren't. I don't think this weekend is a foregone conclusion at all.

The top teams put together a one-off aero package for Monza. A lot will depend on how good a job they have done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:23 pm 

j man wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

I'd argue that the majority of the corners are fast corners. The Lesmos, Parabolica and Ascari are all fast and will probably play to Mercedes' strengths. It's only the first two chicanes that aren't. I don't think this weekend is a foregone conclusion at all.

The top teams put together a one-off aero package for Monza. A lot will depend on how good a job they have done.

I agree fully with your last line. Ferrari might be at a bit of an advantage having run a lower downforce package at Spa.

But I wouldn't think that the Lesmos qualify as high speed corners of the type that favor the Mercedes chassis. Curve Grande definitely is, but will Mercedes be able to put down the power down coming out of the first chicane well enough to capitalize on it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:26 pm 

j man wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

I agree on Parabolica and Ascari tbf but I wouldn't really consider the Lesmos to be that high speed, at least not Lesmo 1. I guess it's just because there are so few corners on the circuit in total that I don't consider there to be many high speed corners.

I'm with you on the main point though, on paper this should be Ferrari heaven but I'm not so sure that will be the case after the thumping they took last year. Mercedes clearly have a very good understanding of how to go quickly around here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:28 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
j man wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

I agree fully with your last line. Ferrari might be at a bit of an advantage having run a lower downforce package at Spa.

But I wouldn't think that the Lesmos qualify as high speed corners of the type that favor the Mercedes chassis. Curve Grande definitely is, but will Mercedes be able to put down the power down coming out of the first chicane well enough to capitalize on it.

I don't think the teams consider Curve Grande a corner anymore, it's effectively a straight to them these days.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:36 pm 

It primarily will be a fight between Hamilton & Vettel for 1st, Bottas & Raikkonen for 3rd & Red Bull will be in isolation hanging between tier 1 & tier 2!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:19 pm 

Last year Ferrari engine is not as efficient as this year should be interesting though seeing how much time Vettel was gaining at the last corner at Spa.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:20 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
j man wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Curve Grande is pretty much considered a straight now, the drivers barely have to pay it any heed whatsoever.

I was thinking of corners similar to what Barcelona has given Mercedes' superiority there. In my mind the Lesmos are not too far different though I may be mistaken.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:16 am 

So I've just read a rumor that Vandoorne may be replacing Ericson at Sauber stating that Frederic Vasseur is trying to convince the investors to make the move.

From there Ericson "might" fill stroll's seat at Williams (hoping they opt to give Kubica the nod), with Stroll Jr moving to Racing Point (gosh what a terrible name), and Ocon settling into his McLaren seat earlier than anticipated.

AND ALL THIS MAY HAPPEN FOR THIS WEEKEND'S ITALIAN GP!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:18 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
So I've just read a rumor that Vandoorne may be replacing Ericson at Sauber stating that Frederic Vasseur is trying to convince the investors to make the move.

From there Ericson "might" fill stroll's seat at Williams (hoping they opt to give Kubica the nod), with Stroll Jr moving to Racing Point (gosh what a terrible name), and Ocon settling into his McLaren seat earlier than anticipated.

What about the problem of Ocon not being able to fit inside the McLaren?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 1st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:23 am 

Like I said… This is a "Rumor" I heard but Stoffel isn't as short as most drivers and stands just over 5'10" so an adjustment wouldn't be that difficult.
Perhaps just redesign the pedals to sit further inside the cockpit to gain a bit of length is all he'd need.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:25 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Like I said… This is a "Rumor" I heard but Stoffel isn't as short as most drivers and stands just over 5'10" so an adjustment wouldn't be that difficult.
Perhaps just redesign the pedals to sit further inside the cockpit to gain a bit of length is all he'd need.

From what I heard it wouldn't be that simple?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:25 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Last year Merc had an advantage in power and in high speed corners, plus Ferrari screwed up their Low downforce package I remember reading.
This year it's very hard to imagine Merc beating them on pace. They have an advantage in traction and straight line speed, which is what this track is mostly about. The scarce sections of the track that are high speed corners shouldn't matter a whole lot as Ferrari is competitive there too. Still hoping for a merc win personally, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:10 am 

I just hope it's not as boring as last weekend!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:19 am 

Could be colossal with Ferrari 1-2 at Monza.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:51 am 

pokerman wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Of course it’s more involved than that but where there’s a will there’s a way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:55 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
pokerman wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Of course it’s more involved than that but where there’s a will there’s a way.

Surely, Ocon doesn't have the will to be in that team. Just to feel how awful this car, try driving it in the F1 2017 or 2018 game. He rather sit out a few races than be in that car. It surely would demotivate him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:18 pm 

It’s not about the car and it’s performance, it’s about getting to know his new team and gelling together sooner rather than later. Sainz staying at Renault the rest of the season means if Ocon arrives first, he’d have a slight edge in building a rapport with the team.

And who knows?... he might be able to do something more with that car than anyone else.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:51 pm 

A small stat regarding the Monza race:

- Pole position at Monza is statistically more important than Monaco, as from 2000-2017 the Italian GP winner has come from pole 14 times out of 18, compared to only 10 in Monte Carlo.

Forecast as Per F1's official website:
After a cool Belgian Grand Prix which saw temperatures hovering around the 17 degree mark during the race, the drivers will have a hotter time of it at Monza. It’s set to be around 26 degrees across all three days of running at Monza – and while there’s no rain forecast for any of the sessions in Italy, if the showers predicted for Sunday evening arrive early, it could make for a very tasty scenario.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
It’s not about the car and it’s performance, it’s about getting to know his new team and gelling together sooner rather than later. Sainz staying at Renault the rest of the season means if Ocon arrives first, he’d have a slight edge in building a rapport with the team.

And who knows?... he might be able to do something more with that car than anyone else.

I very much doubt he would do more than Alonso?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:52 pm 

As per the latest weather reports, FP1 & FP2 could be lashed by rain. Good news is that FP3, qualy & race won't be affected by rain.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/30/2018-italian-grand-prix-f1-weather-forecast/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:47 pm 

Already loving the look of the cars is low wing spec.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:54 pm 

Oops. Not even any rain ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45360983

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:56 pm 

Herb wrote:

Apparently he was using Kimi's car and they have clutches on the opposite sides of the steering wheel so when he went to pull the clutch instinctively he found no paddle :lol:

Strange that they were able to use a 2018 car, I'm sure for the London one last year they all used older cars right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:08 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Herb wrote:

Apparently he was using Kimi's car and they have clutches on the opposite sides of the steering wheel so when he went to pull the clutch instinctively he found no paddle :lol:

Strange that they were able to use a 2018 car, I'm sure for the London one last year they all used older cars right?

It was probably a filming day. That's the only way I know of to get around the current car restrictions.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:47 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Herb wrote:

That surprised me too - didn't think about the filming day option.

Hope they don't run out of wings this weekend :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 am 

Going to be hard to beat Vettel here. Damage limitation weekend for Hamilton.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:25 am 

It's raining as of now at Monza!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:01 am 

I can tell you first hand it’s raining in Monza. And Wisconsin style thunder and lightning. I flew 5600 miles and I’m sitting in my friends kitchen watching it rain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 am 

Wet practice can mean the teams go into the race a bit less prepared than they would like which can lead to interesting results. On the downside I happen to be off work today and watching an hour and a half of people in the pit lane isn't what I had hoped for this morning.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:42 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:

However... https://www.planetf1.com/news/vandoorne ... or-sauber/

"Sauber team principal Frederic Vasseur has said the team are not “in discussions” with Stoffel Vandoorne for a 2019 drive."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:56 am 

Huw wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

"Sauber team principal Frederic Vasseur has said the team are not “in discussions” with Stoffel Vandoorne for a 2019 drive."

I'm surprised people pay much heed to public announcements like this. Until driver places are actually confirmed anything is still likely

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:56 am 

Toby. wrote:

rain may stop play for him

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:10 am 

Zoue wrote:
Toby. wrote:

rain may stop play for him

Not this time as it will rain only today. Sat & Sun are poised to be dry.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:11 am 

So rain on Friday, cold on Saturday, dry on Sunday.... yet again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:20 am 

Zak Brown just confirmed on C4 that McLaren are considering Vandoorne, Norris, Ocon & Perez for the 2nd seat. Brown doesn't know though that Perez has claimed to have signed a contract but he's or the team he's signed for haven't announced it yet!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:52 am 

Zoue wrote:
Huw wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

I'm surprised people pay much heed to public announcements like this. Until driver places are actually confirmed anything is still likely

Just putting it out there for the anoraks. Rumours? Team Principal statements? Who knows?