It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:24 pm 

Source - http://www.imgur.com

Source - http://www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:27 pm 

Apart from being 1 of the best race weekends of the calendar, we are in store for much more. With rumour mills in full swing, a lot still can surprise / shock us with shock moves / replacements come this weekend. Some claim that there could be driver replacements from this race onwards so let's see how the week progresses towards the grand weekend of Spa. Vettel will be looking to get back to the forefront as he would hope the summer break has recharged his batteries & Ferrari are ready to be stronger.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:36 pm 

Plus, the weather forecast says it will be raining every day. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 pm 

So Norris will doing FP1 instead of Alonso and could do more in the remainder of the season:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lando-norris-mclaren-fp1-outing-spa/3161555/

This will put pressure on Vandoorne, I'd imagine. Be interesting to see how they match up

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:52 pm 

Zoue wrote:
So Norris will doing FP1 instead of Alonso and could do more in the remainder of the season:

This will put pressure on Vandoorne, I'd imagine. Be interesting to see how they match up

Could be the big audition to see which one gets sent off to Toro Rosso in exchange for James Key being let out early. I get the feeling McLaren would prefer to keep Norris.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:41 pm 

Press Conference schedule:

Thursday, August 23, 1500 hours local time (1300 UTC):
Part 1
Fernando Alonso (McLaren), Pierre Gasly (Toro Rosso), Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull), Carlos Sainz (Renault)

Part 2
Marcus Ericsson (Sauber), Lance Stroll (Williams), Stoffel Vandoorne (McLaren), Max Verstappen (Red Bull)

Friday, August 24, 1300 hours local time (1100 UTC):
Part 1
Cyril Abiteboul (Renault), Gil de Ferran (McLaren), Christian Horner (Red Bull)

Part 2
Otmar Szafnauer (Force India), Franz Tost (Toro Rosso), Claire Williams (Williams)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:47 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Press Conference schedule:

Thursday, August 23, 1500 hours local time (1300 UTC):
Part 1
Fernando Alonso (McLaren), Pierre Gasly (Toro Rosso), Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull), Carlos Sainz (Renault)

Part 2
Marcus Ericsson (Sauber), Lance Stroll (Williams), Stoffel Vandoorne (McLaren), Max Verstappen (Red Bull)

Friday, August 24, 1300 hours local time (1100 UTC):
Part 1
Cyril Abiteboul (Renault), Gil de Ferran (McLaren), Christian Horner (Red Bull)

Part 2
Otmar Szafnauer (Force India), Franz Tost (Toro Rosso), Claire Williams (Williams)

Oh I bet Sainz can't wait for that conference, poor guy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:29 pm 

Zoue wrote:

Surely they will be on different programmes on Friday morning?

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:14 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Zoue wrote:

You'd think so but Mclaren should still easily be able to compare. If they are genuinely in two minds about who to hire next season they may even decide to give them a few laps at the end of the session on the same tyres, same fuel etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Zoue wrote:

You'd think so but Mclaren should still easily be able to compare. If they are genuinely in two minds about who to hire next season they may even decide to give them a few laps at the end of the session on the same tyres, same fuel etc.
yeah I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, tbh. Otherwise you'd have to ask what would be the point of putting Norris in the car at this stage of the season if not to evaluate him for a potential seat, and Vandoorne's is the only seat left, so...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:33 am 

Looks to be rainy for qualifying at this stage..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:20 am 

Toby. wrote:

Spa is seriously unpredictable when it comes to weather. So many times 1 part of the track is dry & the other wet. Wet weather means advantage Hamilton!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:49 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Spa is seriously unpredictable when it comes to weather. So many times 1 part of the track is dry & the other wet. Wet weather means advantage Hamilton!

Aiaiai, don't say this in here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:12 am 

It won't be wet. Will probably hammer it down just after the race though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:48 am 

Weather forecast as per F1's official website:

Friday looks to be the only dry day of the Grand Prix weekend, with a temperature high of 17 Celsius predicted, but we could be in for an exciting qualifying session if the expected rainfall does indeed arrive. And the race itself could be a similar story, with rain forecast in the middle of the afternoon, just in time for the start of the race…

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:19 pm 

Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Zoue wrote:

yeah I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, tbh. Otherwise you'd have to ask what would be the point of putting Norris in the car at this stage of the season if not to evaluate him for a potential seat, and Vandoorne's is the only seat left, so...
Judging by how McLaren made "a mistake" hiring first Perez and later young Hamlet, I have my doubts about just how well they can evaluate a driver. Not that McLaren are the only team who have that problem, of course.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:58 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Toby. wrote:

:lol: I know exactly where you're coming from, but I'd agree with UnlikeUday.

Could be worse, someone could say that they hope for rain so Vettel can show he's the beat driver in the wet like someone said before Hungary. Only for Vettel to show us how he can mess it all up in the wet qualifying (even though he did show us how good he can be in the dry on race day, pass on Bottas aside).

Either way, a wet qualifying always gives us an interesting starting grid and a wet race will give us a great race and show us the drivers talents at their best. Can't wait.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:12 pm 

minchy wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Could be worse, someone could say that they hope for rain so Vettel can show he's the beat driver in the wet like someone said before Hungary. Only for Vettel to show us how he can mess it all up in the wet qualifying (even though he did show us how good he can be in the dry on race day, pass on Bottas aside).

Either way, a wet qualifying always gives us an interesting starting grid and a wet race will give us a great race and show us the drivers talents at their best. Can't wait.

There's possibly no better race than Spa that arrives after the summer break. Still am expecting some shocks & surprises over 2019 drives!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:37 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Judging by how McLaren made "a mistake" hiring first Perez and later young Hamlet, I have my doubts about just how well they can evaluate a driver. Not that McLaren are the only team who have that problem, of course.

I don't think either hiring was particularly a mistake. Perez was the best option available at the time and Magnussen and cone through their ranks and had earned his shot. Right now Vandoorne is in a pretty similar position to Perez was at McLaren. He looks ok but difficult to see him becoming a tier 1 driver.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:37 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
minchy wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Toby. wrote:

There's possibly no better race than Spa that arrives after the summer break. Still am expecting some shocks & surprises over 2019 drives!

Agree with both. Add to that that it is the first race after the break, plus it is Spa, it should be thrilling! Too bad I'll miss it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:53 pm 

Force India may not be able to participate this weekend in Spa due to legal formalities that either took time to complete or were left incomplete. Excerpts from the link below:

'A proper takeover of Force India Limited, the British company that owns the team's entry in the F1 World Championship, required the consent from 13 Indian creditor banks linked to the financial woes of the squad's 85 percent previous owners, Vijay Mallya and Subrata Roy.

According to a report, it's alleged those consents were not delivered on time, and the sale of Force India was therefore completed on the basis of a transfer of assets to a new entity rather than on the basis of an outright cession of the parent company.

The resulting new entity, owned by the Stroll consortium, does not hold a proper entry into the F1 World Champion, and therefore would not be eligible to enter the Belgian GP, while it would also not qualify for the team's 2018 prize money, unless a unanimous consent from all F1 teams is granted.'

http://www.f1i.com/news/314321-force-india-danger-forbidden-race-spa.html

No wonder, there's no driver interviews relating to the track from Checo & Ocon that usually takes place before a race weekend starts. Even their Twitter page has no update regarding the participation or showing them getting prepared for the Belgium Grand Prix.

So 18 cars this race?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:25 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Force India may not be able to participate this weekend in Spa due to legal formalities that either took time to complete or were left incomplete. Excerpts from the link below:

'A proper takeover of Force India Limited, the British company that owns the team's entry in the F1 World Championship, required the consent from 13 Indian creditor banks linked to the financial woes of the squad's 85 percent previous owners, Vijay Mallya and Subrata Roy.

According to a report, it's alleged those consents were not delivered on time, and the sale of Force India was therefore completed on the basis of a transfer of assets to a new entity rather than on the basis of an outright cession of the parent company.

The resulting new entity, owned by the Stroll consortium, does not hold a proper entry into the F1 World Champion, and therefore would not be eligible to enter the Belgian GP, while it would also not qualify for the team's 2018 prize money, unless a unanimous consent from all F1 teams is granted.'

No wonder, there's no driver interviews relating to the track from Checo & Ocon that usually takes place before a race weekend starts. Even their Twitter page has no update regarding the participation or showing them getting prepared for the Belgium Grand Prix.

So 18 cars this race?

If this deal is really a transfer of assets and as such is a new entity, and require unanimous approval from the other 9 teams to be able to participate and qualify for prize money, Spa might be the least of their problems.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:11 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
Plus, the weather forecast says it will be raining every day. :)

I hope so

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:48 pm 

Stoffel's hot lap of the track:

Another driver who actually does a pretty decent virtual lap (1:47 something, I think), considering that the McLaren in F1 2017 is pretty far off the pace.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:44 am 

Guess the team:

Source - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlOChl-X0AEntMA.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:48 am 

It's sad & rather deliberate that Force India still haven't received their prize money. Don't know how much though.

Due to the legal issues of the team, Force India can supposedly only race in Spa if the team name changes. If the name does change, they'll lose all the prize money that was due to them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:31 am 

Beautiful & predictable weather at Spa:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:59 am 

Altair wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

So 18 cars this race?

If this deal is really a transfer of assets and as such is a new entity, and require unanimous approval from the other 9 teams to be able to participate and qualify for prize money, Spa might be the least of their problems.

Sadly I'm sure that the teams will be thinking only of how to exploit this situation to their advantage rather than giving any consideration to the fans' interests. The spirit of Indy 2005 is alive and well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:55 am 

As expected some personnel would leave or be kicked out of Force India's management, Bob Fernley has left the team!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:31 pm 

Power unit elements coming into this race. Rumours suggest Hulk & Bottas will start from back of the grid.

Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5BF76F9B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:55 am 

Mercedes & Ferrari are getting upgraded engines to Spa. This means Bottas & Raikkonen are poised for grid penalties.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-ferrari-bring-engine-upgrades-to-spa/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:58 am 

Happy that the summer break is over & it's Spa - my favourite weekend of the calendar!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:02 am 

Rejoice. I can temporarily forget about my countries utter pile of 'you know what' that is Brexit, and instead, relax and enjoy the sight of F1 cars lapping Spa.

Thank you Belgium.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:08 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Mercedes & Ferrari are getting upgraded engines to Spa. This means Bottas & Raikkonen are poised for grid penalties.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-ferrari-bring-engine-upgrades-to-spa/

It seems Kimi is only getting a new ICE so won't incur a penalty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:37 am 

Yes, it's only the first practice season... but, Macca dead last... Williams vying strong for the same outstanding spot... wow... what a season. It seems to be the definitive end of an era.

But, a

Anybody here confident they can recover? I have a pet theory, and it doesn't look good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:42 am 

FP1 done:

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:47 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Rejoice. I can temporarily forget about my countries utter pile of 'you know what' that is Brexit, and instead, relax and enjoy the sight of F1 cars lapping Spa.

Thank you Belgium.

I see your Brexit and raise you with six Prime Ministers in ten years...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:53 pm 

cm97 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Thank you Belgium.

Ha! The way the Brexit negotiations are going I wouldn't be overly surprised if we in the UK set about challenging your PM merry-go-round in the times to come.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:58 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
cm97 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Thank you Belgium.

Ha! The way the Brexit negotiations are going I wouldn't be overly surprised if we in the UK set about challenging your PM merry-go-round in the times to come.

Guys come on this isn't fair, the Americans haven't woken up yet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:06 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
cm97 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Thank you Belgium.

Not actually sure we have a PM in place at the moment. Well, not one that can actually do anything.