planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:44 am 

Image indycar.com

Pocono's Tricky Triangle became a traffic triangle for the ABC Pocono 500. But Alexander Rossi managed to pass a last minute backmarker enroute to win is 2nd consecutive event in a row and his 3rd of the season spoiling Will Power's quest for his 3rd straight event. Rossi's win with pit strategy enabled him to trim 3rd Place finisher Scott Dixon's series lead from 46 to 29 with Dixon holding off Sebastian Bourdais as the last car on the lead lap.

But the race had a somber mood during a red flag session. The race was marred by a huge crash in turn 2 on lap 8 when Robert Wickens nudged Ryan Hunter-Reay's rear-left tire causing a spin with Wickens sent flying into the guardrail demolishing his car. Takuma Sato was also involved as is Wickens teammate James Hinchcliffe who could not slow down when he spun around. Pietro Fittipaldi (Who made his return after his incident at Spa during a FIA WEC event) also spun into the wall striking Hinchcliffe in the process. Dixon managed to get by the incident. It took at least over 2 hours to rebuild the fence. Pietro would walk away from the crash this time.

Josef Newgarden , Marco Andretti, Zach Veach, and Simon Pagenaud finished 5 thru 8th respectively after going 1 lap down. Charlie Kimball sealed 9th automatically after going 2 laps down. Ed Carpenter rouds up the top 10 3 laps down.

The standings remain the same as it was after Mid-Ohio. The next round will be a Saturday matinee at the Gateway.

And here is an update from Schmidt Peterson Motorsports via twitter in regards about Robert Wickens as we wish him a speedy recovery.

https://twitter.com/SPMIndyCar

Report:
https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/08/08 ... ecap-final

Results:
http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/doc ... ficial.pdf

Last edited by Placid on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:57 am 

Thanks for the update, Placid. I have been watching for one, but hadn't seen one. Sounds like Wickens still has a lot of issues to deal with, I sure hope they all work out well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:51 am 

1 way or another, everyone needed to know. I could imagine him how broken he is physically. With the extent of his injuries, he is likely done for the season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:37 am 

I (and I think a lot of other people on Twitter) genuinely feared the worst when there was no update posted for the best part of an hour. It really was a pleasant surprise when the update came and it was that he was alive and alert. To come out of that crash with *just* broken ankles, a broken arm and a potentially fractured vertebrae definitely seems like a win, all things considered.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:59 am 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
I (and I think a lot of other people on Twitter) genuinely feared the worst when there was no update posted for the best part of an hour. It really was a pleasant surprise when the update came and it was that he was alive and alert. To come out of that crash with *just* broken ankles, a broken arm and a potentially fractured vertebrae definitely seems like a win, all things considered.

Yes, although it's still a very relative thing. Spinal damage can be very serious, and I just hope this isn't a career-ending injury.

But he's alive, and that's the most important thing without doubt. :thumbup:

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:17 pm 

All the best to RW. Scary scary stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:57 pm 

So glad that RHR walked away from this one. Same for Pietro after his scare at Spa.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:03 pm 

jimmyj wrote:

This image from motorsport.com is the one that scared me the most. Just look at Robert's head right after the initial impact. And a HANS failure is rare.

He was lucky that his head went to the side. If it would have hit the steering wheel, it could have been beyond worse.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:15 pm 

Boy oh boy...

This era of social media is once again tearing its head and ignoranouses are now slamming Michael Andretti for what he said during the interview while the drivers were being tended to on track. He was asked about HIS driver specifically (Ryan Hunter Ray)...

“First of all, is “RYAN” ok?”

His response was “Yeah he’s ok, he didn’t hit that hard”

Now some morons are attacking him because some ignoramous moron wasn’t paying attention and thought he was talking about Wickens, and immediately took to social media to criticize Michael and then other self entitled imbeciles saw that, and instead of looking for the interview to see what exactly was said, they simply proceeded to attack Michael’s character and say all sorts of things about the guy.

I think social media outlets like Instagram and Twitter should police things like this and attempt to correct these situations because as we’ve seen, in this day and age, mere accusations, however unfounded they may be have and will continue to cost people their jobs and livelihoods.

The interview begins at the 7:35 minute mark...

https://youtu.be/zpdtWS6jdAg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:17 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Boy oh boy...

This era of social media is once again tearing its head and ignoranouses are now slamming Michael Andretti for what he said during the interview while the drivers were being tended to on track. He was asked about HIS driver specifically (Ryan Hunter Ray)...

“First of all, is “RYAN” ok?”

His response was “Yeah he’s ok, he didn’t hit that hard”

Now some morons are attacking him because some ignoramous moron wasn’t paying attention and thought he was talking about Wickens, and immediately took to social media to criticize Michael and then other self entitled imbeciles saw that, and instead of looking for the interview to see what exactly was said, they simply proceeded to attack Michael’s character and say all sorts of things about the guy.

I think social media outlets like Instagram and Twitter should police things like this and attempt to correct these situations because as we’ve seen, in this day and age, mere accusations, however unfounded they may be have and will continue to cost people their jobs and livelihoods.

The interview begins at the 7:35 minute mark...

https://youtu.be/zpdtWS6jdAg

I agree with you, and have been thinking about this quite a bit. Andretti did not say anything out of line for a veteran racing man, every racing incident is quoted by a dozen or more pundits every time. I suppose he could have been more polite by not stating anything about who or what may have caused the crash but I agree the social media attacks are way over the top. It should go without saying that Michael has best intentions in mind for all of the drivers, Wickens included.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:20 pm 

Wickens is one that got a way for F1. I hope he makes a successful come back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:24 pm 

Placid wrote:
jimmyj wrote:

This image from motorsport.com is the one that scared me the most. Just look at Robert's head right after the initial impact. And a HANS failure is rare.

He was lucky that his head went to the side. If it would have hit the steering wheel, it could have been beyond worse.

I tape all of the races and the impact when his car first caught the fence was horrific, simply catastrophic. And then he and Hinch both were narrowly missed late in their slides after the main incidents - imagine if Hinch had another hard secondary hit! It's amazing that there aren't even more very serious secondary collisions as the pack goes by the wrecked vehicles.

That catch fence, I don't have a solution but wow, it's sure a big risky place for a car to go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:51 pm 

In that picture alone the fence looks terrible; I'm right with Bourdais that any running repairs to that must have been utterly inadequate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:03 pm 

Placid wrote:
jimmyj wrote:

Wow the HANS device failed? Hadn't heard that

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:12 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
In that picture alone the fence looks terrible; I'm right with Bourdais that any running repairs to that must have been utterly inadequate.

Was the repair truly inadequate, or merely, look that way to viewers?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:34 pm 

Blake wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Well, Bourdais is certainly a lot more informed than a viewer. He was concerned about it, but when he spent a good long time talking to the race director he was apparently satisfied enough that he got back in the car. I think that indicates that the repairs were, in the end, adequate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:23 am 

Blake wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Chicken wire and wire frames zip-tied to the main cables... and one pole was replaced with a smaller one that appeared to lean into the track. if the same sort of incident had happened there again in the race... a car would have gone through and killed the driver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 am 

According to NBCsports:

Quote:
IndyCar officials announced late Monday afternoon that Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver Robert Wickens will undergo spinal surgery later this evening.

Let us hope for the very best results.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:26 am 

SDLRob wrote:
Blake wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Chicken wire and wire frames zip-tied to the main cables... and one pole was replaced with a smaller one that appeared to lean into the track. if the same sort of incident had happened there again in the race... a car would have gone through and killed the driver

You do not know that... period.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:31 am 

Exediron wrote:
Blake wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Well, Bourdais is certainly a lot more informed than a viewer. He was concerned about it, but when he spent a good long time talking to the race director he was apparently satisfied enough that he got back in the car. I think that indicates that the repairs were, in the end, adequate.

https://racer.com/2018/08/19/bourdais-h ... e-repairs/

Quote:
After his fourth-place finish, Bourdais explained to NBC Sports why he hesitated.

“I’m old but I’m not wiser,” “Everybody’s in the seat and you gotta go. I wasn’t happy with it at all. The construction guys said thumbs-up; I’m glad nobody tried it because I’m not sure that would have been satisfactory. It’s just tough moments.

“When we saw the extent of the damage I had a pretty good idea that it wasn’t gonna get fixed properly, and it wasn’t. The cables were loose, and it was just like, it was pretty lousy. So I wasn’t happy with it at all.”

He may have got back in the car (eventually) but it doesn't sound like he thought it was adequate at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:38 am 

mcdo wrote:
Placid wrote:
jimmyj wrote:

Wow the HANS device failed? Hadn't heard that

Did the device fail or did the seat belt come away from it?

It looked like he was sitting pretty low in the cockpit when the car came to rest.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:28 pm 

this is from a Marshall Pruett piece on racer.com:

"" Tuesday, August 21: A post-surgery update has been provided by the Verizon IndyCar Series on Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver Robert Wickens.

“Titanium rods and screws were placed successfully in Wickens’ spine during the surgery, which was performed without complication,” it said in a statement Tuesday morning. “The severity of the spinal cord injury is indeterminate at this time. Wickens is expected to undergo further surgeries to treat fractures in his lower extremities and right forearm. He remains in stable condition.”

Wickens’ spinal injury is of the greatest concern, and according to IndyCar, that portion of the operation was to “stabilize a thoracic spinal fracture.” ""

hoping for the best...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:49 pm 

That ‘spinal cord’ instead of ‘spine’ is concerning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:55 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
That ‘spinal cord’ instead of ‘spine’ is concerning.

yep, unfortunately "the severity is not yet determined" is concerning also

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:00 pm 

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports have announced that the Robert Wickens #6 entry will be withdrawn from the Bommarito Automotive Group 500 at Gateway, Illinois.

https://racer.com/2018/08/21/hinchcliff ... t-gateway/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:28 pm 

Placid wrote:
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports have announced that the Robert Wickens #6 entry will be withdrawn from the Bommarito Automotive Group 500 at Gateway, Illinois.

Hardly a shock. Even in the best possible case of recovery he wouldn't be ready to race that soon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:40 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Placid wrote:

Hardly a shock. Even in the best possible case of recovery he wouldn't be ready to race that soon.

It said the problem was repairing both cars in time, I doubt we will see Wickens racing again this season.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 1st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:56 pm 

The withdrawal, aside from the repair aspect, is in part a matter of how long it can take to hash out a deal with a replacement driver. A similar thing happened in 1994 with Senna, with Williams only running one car in Monaco.

Although I obviously lack the expertise of Bourdais, the replaced fence didn't look too sturdy to me. SDLRob has a point about how the repairs looked, though the outcome of a hypothetical second crash is impossible to predict. Run the same accident 100 times, 100 different things will happen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:48 am 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Placid wrote:

It said the problem was repairing both cars in time, I doubt we will see Wickens racing again this season.

Yes, it is too soon for an injury of that kind. Then again if we consider Lauda's recovery...

But all that matter is his health, I don't care how soon he races, as long as he gets back on his feet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 am 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Placid wrote:

Yes, it is too soon for an injury of that kind. Then again if we consider Lauda's recovery...

Lauda wouldn't be allowed back in the car so soon today, no chance. The rules were more lax back then, the choice was pretty much down to Niki and Ferrari. Now the F1 and IndyCar safety crews are far less cavalier.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:39 am 

Tufty wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Placid wrote:

Lauda wouldn't be allowed back in the car so soon today, no chance. The rules were more lax back then, the choice was pretty much down to Niki and Ferrari. Now the F1 and IndyCar safety crews are far less cavalier.

That's very true.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:25 pm 

Schmidt and Peterson may have to call up Michael Shank and Jack Harvey to place their entry for the remaining 2 races. No point into placing the #6 car on the grid.

Doctors have already performed surgery on his right arm and both legs, his spine was stabilized with titanium rods and screws. But nothing further.

https://racer.com/2018/08/24/updated-ex ... terminate/

Image indycar.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:20 pm 

announced yesterday wickens is now breathing on his own

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:51 pm 

Excellent news indeed!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:09 pm 

It is a slow recovery, but it is good news. Wickens just got transferred to IU Health Methodist Hospital at Indianapolis and undergo more surgeries on his legs and other lower extremities.

www.indycar.com/News/2018/08/08-31-Wick ... t-Hospital

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:53 am 

So happy he's improving. A friend of mine who is an Indy Car fanatic says he read somewhere that they expect him to make a full recovery. I can't find that anywhere but I sure hope so. Go Robbie!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:31 am 

Family members have opened up in regards about Robert's condition:

Here is the complete list:

Thoracic spinal fracture
Spinal cord injury
Neck fracture
Tibia and fibula fractures to both legs
Fractures in both hands
Fractured right forearm
Fractured elbow
Four fractured ribs
Pulmonary contusion

https://www.motorsport.com/us/indycar/n ... 23/?nrt=86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:36 am 

Placid wrote:

Thoracic spinal fracture
Spinal cord injury
Neck fracture
Fractures in both hands
Fractured right forearm
Fractured elbow
Four fractured ribs
Pulmonary contusion

So it looks like early reports that he was doing well and heading for a full recovery were fabrications, much like reports that Schumacher was able to communicate. :(

Barring a miracle, his chances of ever racing again seem slim to none. That's a catastrophic list of injuries.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:50 am 

Exediron wrote:
Placid wrote:

Thoracic spinal fracture
Spinal cord injury
Neck fracture
Fractures in both hands
Fractured right forearm
Fractured elbow
Four fractured ribs
Pulmonary contusion

So it looks like early reports that he was doing well and heading for a full recovery were fabrications, much like reports that Schumacher was able to communicate. :(

Barring a miracle, his chances of ever racing again seem slim to none. That's a catastrophic list of injuries.

I don't know.

It depends on the severity of the injuries and how they heel up. None of those are necessarily career ending. A Thoracic spinal fracture for example has a huge range of severity.

It will depend on the spinal cord injury really.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Placid wrote:

Thoracic spinal fracture
Spinal cord injury
Neck fracture
Fractures in both hands
Fractured right forearm
Fractured elbow
Four fractured ribs
Pulmonary contusion

I don't know.

It depends on the severity of the injuries and how they heel up. None of those are necessarily career ending. A Thoracic spinal fracture for example has a huge range of severity.

It will depend on the spinal cord injury really.

Yep, my Father recently had an SCI, and spent several months in hospital - it will be a while until the full severity is known, and how much recovery will be needed or possible.

Fingers crossed he gets through this.