planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Should Alonso go?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:04 pm 

McLaren have confirmed he's not racing in F1 next year.

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/10 ... 8528226309

Last edited by Seanie on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:05 pm 

No idea what hes saying but its titled "Dear F1" and all the comments below are saying things like "Noo" and "I'm not ready for you to leave" etc.

Looks like a retirement to me.

English version - Yeah it's a goodbye to F1.

Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:10 pm 

Skysports are announcing it as Alonso is retiring from F1.

Not entirely out of the blue for me, think the writing has been on the wall for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:22 pm 

And there it is :-((

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:42 pm 

He's gonna be back when the new regulations kicks in to give it one more try. He is going to indycar to pursuit that triple crown and maybe even the championship knowing his racecraft and consistency.

I feel this is that sort of scenario "It's goodbye for now,not goodbye forever". Wish him all the best in his future endeavours and fingers crossed he's gonna be back by 2021 landing in a good seat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:59 pm 

At this point I feel like it would be more interesting to see him challenge in Indy or something rather than drag a lower midfield car around year after year. It's a shame he wasted so many years in crappy cars, but imo he has himself to blame for that in part.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:48 pm 

BlackMan wrote:
He's gonna be back when the new regulations kicks in to give it one more try. He is going to indycar to pursuit that triple crown and maybe even the championship knowing his racecraft and consistency.

I feel this is that sort of scenario "It's goodbye for now,not goodbye forever". Wish him all the best in his future endeavours and fingers crossed he's gonna be back by 2021 landing in a good seat.

I think his best hope on that would be some major manufacturer joining the sport. If that was going to happen in 2021 though we'd need to start seeing signs of that now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:46 pm 

BlackMan wrote:

He left the door open a bit but i'd be surprised if he actually came back to F1. He seems to have been spending much more time in the US and probably due to marketing his company. I predict that he stays in indycar a few years and wins a title and then retires completely. I think hes gonna like indycar much more than the enviro at F1 and the fact that only the top 2 teams have a chance to win in F1 no matter how good of a driver you are.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:05 pm 

Did not see this coming. I can't say I am particularly sad about it, but it is a surprise. I do feel for his fans as they deserve to see him in a good seat before he retires from F1. However, he may return. Not many are capable of doing so, but he could - like Kimi. Good luck to him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:47 pm 

rodH wrote:
BlackMan wrote:

He left the door open a bit but i'd be surprised if he actually came back to F1. He seems to have been spending much more time in the US and probably due to marketing his company. I predict that he stays in indycar a few years and wins a title and then retires completely. I think hes gonna like indycar much more than the enviro at F1 and the fact that only the top 2 teams have a chance to win in F1 no matter how good of a driver you are.

When he won his 2 titles only 2 teams had a chance of winning titles, just saying.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:06 pm 

pokerman wrote:
rodH wrote:
BlackMan wrote:

When he won his 2 titles only 2 teams had a chance of winning titles, just saying.

And I don't remember many people abusing Massa and Fisichella the way they are doing with Raikkonen and Bottas just because they are unable to beat the guy we don't like.
With a more competitive teammate(or a guy allowed to put a semi fight), Alonso would have won at least 1 more WDC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:34 am 

Pullrod wrote:
pokerman wrote:
rodH wrote:
BlackMan wrote:

And I don't remember many people abusing Massa and Fisichella the way they are doing with Raikkonen and Bottas just because they are unable to beat the guy we don't like.
With a more competitive teammate(or a guy allowed to put a semi fight), Alonso would have won at least 1 more WDC.

Fissichella got a lot of criticism. Massa less though, I guess because people had lower expectations of him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:41 am 

pokerman wrote:
rodH wrote:
BlackMan wrote:

I'm not sure I would agree with that TBH. The two best drivers were in the 2 fastest cars in 06 which made the gap look bigger than it was. About 1.5 seconds covered the top 8 teams in 05 and 06. Not quite the scenario we have today.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:03 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
rodH wrote:
BlackMan wrote:

I'm not sure I would agree with that TBH. The two best drivers were in the 2 fastest cars in 06 which made the gap look bigger than it was. About 1.5 seconds covered the top 8 teams in 05 and 06. Not quite the scenario we have today.

One of those drivers in 2006 had no chance of winning in 2005, and then one of the fastest drivers in 2005 had no chance of winning in 2006, so the drivers still had to be in the fastest cars to win.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:43 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
rodH wrote:
BlackMan wrote:

One of those drivers in 2006 had no chance of winning in 2005, and then one of the fastest drivers in 2005 had no chance of winning in 2006, so the drivers still had to be in the fastest cars to win.

So three different teams then across both years. With another 2 or three with similar budgets offering the same opportunities with open testing. That's a lot of seats and possibilities with a rule set that left it possible for those kind of year on year changes.

Who do you think will be fighting for the title in 2020, never mind next month? Same two teams, we all know it and that's the difference I think being referenced. We're quite lucky if we get two teams fighting it out, having 2 is fine. It's the fact it'll be the same two for 4/5 years with no real hope of at least RB or anyone else getting in there to mix it up is the issue for some I think.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:14 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
rodH wrote:

So three different teams then across both years. With another 2 or three with similar budgets offering the same opportunities with open testing. That's a lot of seats and possibilities with a rule set that left it possible for those kind of year on year changes.

Who do you think will be fighting for the title in 2020, never mind next month? Same two teams, we all know it and that's the difference I think being referenced. We're quite lucky if we get two teams fighting it out, having 2 is fine. It's the fact it'll be the same two for 4/5 years with no real hope of at least RB or anyone else getting in there to mix it up is the issue for some I think.

Well that's true but the comparison was more with Indycars and it's multiple winners which will suit Alonso better and I was just pointing out that when Alonso won his titles he himself benefited at the time from the meritocracy that exists in F1 as in having a superior car to nearly all of the field.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:53 pm 

2 years too late. So happy he's not dragging him name through the mud anymore.