For me,

Hamilton, Ricciardo & Gasly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:56 pm 

Ricciardo, Alonso and Gasly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:01 pm 

Gasly and Ricciardo
then Hamilton, Magnussen, Alonso

Vettel lost the win yesterday.

Vettel vs. Bottas: Vettel did not leave space to his left (and unnecessary so)
Bottas vs. Ricciardo: clearly Bottas fault, worth a penalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:04 pm 

Ricciardo and Gasly.

Ricciardo for getting up to fourth (fifth was expected, so anything from there was a bonus) - plus all the good moves into T1. A lot of them I thought might end in a crash, but clearly Daniel Ricciardo is a better driver than I am.

Gasly for coming sixth. While he finished the same place he qualified at a track where it's notoriously hard to overtake, but he was never under threat from 7th. At the half way point he had nearly a 10 second lead over the car behind him (I think, feel free to correct me). There was three tiers at Hungary. The top three teams > Pierre Gasly > Everybody else.

Last edited by Toby. on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:05 pm 

Ricciardo, Gasly & Alonso for me.

Honorable mention to Raikonnen for doing the whole race without a drink bottle and to Bottas for the mini demo derby at the end.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:10 pm 

Was considering voting for Bottas until he started playing bumper cars.

I'll give it to Gasly. Beating Magnussen in the Haas is a great result.

Gasly did great job I think. Even after pitting he was ahead of Alonso. Vandoorne matched Alonso this race but was unlucky.

Gasly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:13 pm 

Hamilton for a well controlled race. Gassy for finishing sixth, superb performance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:34 pm 

Gasly, Ricciardo and Magnussen.

Again, no points or the big guys because they are driving a staged race. Bottas taking care of Hamilton health at all cost, Raikkonen does not pass Vettel even tough faster.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:47 pm 

Gasly, Hamilton & Ricciardo. Bottas was in my running for 65 laps, but sadly for him the race was 70.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:07 pm 

Ricciardo, Hamilton and Alonso.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:04 pm 

Hamilton, Raikkonen and Gasly for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:29 pm 

Kimi, Daniel and Stoffel.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:49 pm 

Hamilton and Gasly. Hamilton was mighty on the ultras at the start. Vettel drove a strong race too, hindered by factors outside his control.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:34 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
For me,

Hamilton, Ricciardo & Gasly.

Ditto here!

Hamilton for driving fast enough that Vettel's overcut couldn't work.

Ricciardo for a fine charge through the pack, including his pass on Bottas.

Gasly for a great drive in a mid-pack car.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:39 pm 

I don't see how Vandoorne is getting votes. He did better than normal but was still behind his team mate when his car failed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 pm 

j man wrote:
I don't see how Vandoorne is getting votes. He did better than normal but was still behind his team mate when his car failed.

Tbf Kimi finished behind his team mate and has many more votes.

People vote for who stands out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:06 pm 

Hamilton and Gasly were the standouts. Since I have to pick three...

Nah, two will do. Alonso was good, but Vandoorne was right behind him. Ricciardo was good, but who knows what Max would have done.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:09 pm 

Fiki wrote:

Just out of curiosity: why do you think that Räikkönen and Vandoorne were better than Gasly?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:07 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Just out of curiosity: why do you think that Räikkönen and Vandoorne were better than Gasly?

I don't understand why Kimi has got so many votes. Gets caught napping and overtaken by his teammate on lap 1 them for the rest of the race was pretty quiet until he got caught up in the Bottas Train which he manages to overtake as Bottaa' tyres were shot - nothing spectacular there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:58 am 

Hamilton, Vettel and Ricciardo.

Hamilton had a good race, Vettel overtook his team mate and that pit stop only makes us think what would he do if he had clean air to hunt Hamilton down. Ricciardo did well to entertain us with some overtakes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:01 am 

angrypirate wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Fiki wrote:

I don't understand why Kimi has got so many votes. Gets caught napping and overtaken by his teammate on lap 1 them for the rest of the race was pretty quiet until he got caught up in the Bottas Train which he manages to overtake as Bottaa' tyres were shot - nothing spectacular there.

I have been thinking the same :? Kimi did nothing special, he showed some good pace but thats because he was on a 2 stop and aggressive strategy.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:18 am 

j man wrote:
Hamilton had pole and finished first. In other words, Stoffel made more progress than Hamilton, and still people vote for Lewis. :D

I understand he had been unlucky during the qualifying lottery (I couldn't watch), so finishing where he did was a timely reminder of his talent, especially after the team built up his car around another tub again. Hopefully his car problems wiil be solved by the time of his home race.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:25 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Fiki wrote:

I don't. But I get only three votes. Which is still more than F1 give us.
I'm not so sure Kimi was caught napping as angrypirate seems to think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:04 am 

Fiki wrote:
j man wrote:
Hamilton had pole and finished first. In other words, Stoffel made more progress than Hamilton, and still people vote for Lewis. :D

I understand he had been unlucky during the qualifying lottery (I couldn't watch), so finishing where he did was a timely reminder of his talent, especially after the team built up his car around another tub again. Hopefully his car problems wiil be solved by the time of his home race.

So no one who starts on pole and finishes first can be driver of the day?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:11 am 

dompclarke wrote:
Fiki wrote:
j man wrote:

These days, whoever starts from pole and has clean air ahead of them has an advantage over the others, as it is difficult to follow directly behind the other cars.

I do not mind voting for the pole sitter if I think that they did a good job. I voted for Lewis in this race.

But I find it funny when people claim that you shouldn't vote for the pole sitter, then go and vote their favourite driver that just won from pole!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:22 am 

Fiki wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Fiki wrote:

In all fairness, he was running close to Bottas and had a run on him but had to back out of it losing momentum allowing Vettel to have a good run on him.
But I digress - back to the original point - I dont understand why Kimi for driver of the day. Whats your reason in thinking he was one of the best drivers yesterday?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:46 am 

Lewis,Gasly and Dan.

Honourable mentions to Alonso and K-Mag.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:13 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Fiki wrote:
j man wrote:

These days, whoever starts from pole and has clean air ahead of them has an advantage over the others, as it is difficult to follow directly behind the other cars.

I do not mind voting for the pole sitter if I think that they did a good job. I voted for Lewis in this race.

But I find it funny when people claim that you shouldn't vote for the pole sitter, then go and vote their favourite driver that just won from pole!!

I understand the potential advantage, though like you feel that pole sitters can still be driver of the day. No comment on the double standards of others...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:16 pm 

angrypirate wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Fiki wrote:

In all fairness, he was running close to Bottas and had a run on him but had to back out of it losing momentum allowing Vettel to have a good run on him.
But I digress - back to the original point - I dont understand why Kimi for driver of the day. Whats your reason in thinking he was one of the best drivers yesterday?
A perfectly executed race plan, with consistent speed and safety, exactly what you would want from a driver. I think that if the qualifying lottery had favoured him, a race win might have been possible, depending on where his "wingman" would have been. (Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. :D ) Sometimes, a driver really stands out and most people would agree if he were chosen as driver of the day. Yesterday was not one of those days, and I would have been perfectly happy had Pièrre won DotD. But while I'm happy for Ricciardo's race and race result, I don't think he was really any more the stand-out driver than the ones I voted for.

And perhaps I should add that I don't think Driver of the Day is all that important anyway. Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:04 pm 

Fiki wrote:
angrypirate wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Fiki wrote:

A perfectly executed race plan, with consistent speed and safety, exactly what you would want from a driver. I think that if the qualifying lottery had favoured him, a race win might have been possible, depending on where his "wingman" would have been. (Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. :D ) Sometimes, a driver really stands out and most people would agree if he were chosen as driver of the day. Yesterday was not one of those days, and I would have been perfectly happy had Pièrre won DotD. But while I'm happy for Ricciardo's race and race result, I don't think he was really any more the stand-out driver than the ones I voted for.

And perhaps I should add that I don't think Driver of the Day is all that important anyway. Does that make sense?

I disagree with you in that I dont think his race plan was perfectly executed - for example, Im sure being overtaken in lap 1 wasn't part of it. He was fairly quiet for most of the race (ok, churning out good lap times but he did an extra pitstop and so would be expected) and had Merc decided not to trash Bottas' race in getting him to go so long on the softs, its likely the Ferrari's would have finished 2-4. He was also beaten by his teammate who started behind him in the grid.

I do agree with you that Driver of the day isnt that important. I just find it interesting hearing people's opinions on why when I disagree with their choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:45 pm 

angrypirate wrote:
Fiki wrote:

I disagree with you in that I dont think his race plan was perfectly executed - for example, Im sure being overtaken in lap 1 wasn't part of it. He was fairly quiet for most of the race (ok, churning out good lap times but he did an extra pitstop and so would be expected) and had Merc decided not to trash Bottas' race in getting him to go so long on the softs, its likely the Ferrari's would have finished 2-4. He was also beaten by his teammate who started behind him in the grid.

I do agree with you that Driver of the day isnt that important. I just find it interesting hearing people's opinions on why when I disagree with their choice.
Obviously I don't know whether being overtaken by Vettel on lap 1 was part of the plan, but after the double team orders last week, and Wolff's wingman comment this week, I would not bet against it - if I were a betting man. Of course, handing the place to Vettel could have come at any time, but why not on lap 1?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:45 pm 

Gasly and Ricciardo and then Hamilton.... Despite Bottas involved with those crashes, I thought he drove well to hold up the Ferrari's. Hamilton was able to control the pace.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:48 am 

Fiki wrote:
angrypirate wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Obviously I don't know whether being overtaken by Vettel on lap 1 was part of the plan, but after the double team orders last week, and Wolff's wingman comment this week, I would not bet against it - if I were a betting man. Of course, handing the place to Vettel could have come at any time, but why not on lap 1?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13773 ... ppy-finish
Sounds like Kimi wouldn't have even voted for himself as DOTD