planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6237
Location: Mumbai, India
Image
Source - www.imgur.com

Image
Source - www.imgur.com

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1501
Another back to back race.

A chance for Vettel to regroup from the mishap.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am
Posts: 378
I think the first race of the year where going into it, it appears that any of the top 3 can win. It won't be like the last 2-3 races, we won't see overtaking here and it will all be about track position which leans it towards qualifying performance but the undercut is usually very large there and usually a 2 stopper. So anything is possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 224
Location: Stratford
Based on Monaco performance wouldn't be surprised to see Red Bull as the team to beat here. Merc and Ferrari seemed pretty even in Monaco so could be the same here also.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1501
JN23 wrote:
Based on Monaco performance wouldn't be surprised to see Red Bull as the team to beat here. Merc and Ferrari seemed pretty even in Monaco so could be the same here also.


Well according to reports Ferrari have since found 0.5s.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 5556
Location: Michigan, USA
Rockie wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Based on Monaco performance wouldn't be surprised to see Red Bull as the team to beat here. Merc and Ferrari seemed pretty even in Monaco so could be the same here also.

Well according to reports Ferrari have since found 0.5s.

On the straights. How many straights do you see in Hungary?

That said, Ferrari have always been strong in Hungary, and I expect that will be no different this year.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (3 wins, 12 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2176
There’s a chance of rain on both Saturday and Sunday.

I want there to be rain, because I want Vettel to make amends for what happened in Germany. I seriously think that he’s second only to Hamilton in the wet. Hungary is a chance to prove it and silence the critics.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 3310
KingVoid wrote:
There’s a chance of rain on both Saturday and Sunday.

I want there to be rain, because I want Vettel to make amends for what happened in Germany. I seriously think that he’s second only to Hamilton in the wet. Hungary is a chance to prove it and silence the critics.


Be careful what you ask for.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: LONDON...!
Rockie wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Based on Monaco performance wouldn't be surprised to see Red Bull as the team to beat here. Merc and Ferrari seemed pretty even in Monaco so could be the same here also.


Well according to reports Ferrari have since found 0.5s.

On the straights yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 5173
KingVoid wrote:
There’s a chance of rain on both Saturday and Sunday.

I want there to be rain, because I want Vettel to make amends for what happened in Germany. I seriously think that he’s second only to Hamilton in the wet. Hungary is a chance to prove it and silence the critics.

I am curious as to which races (other than his maiden win in Italy) you believe he has proved himself to be on par with or close to Hamilton in the wet? We've had so few wet races in recent years, the only times I can remember are actually changable conditions, where he has made mistakes.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1501
KingVoid wrote:
There’s a chance of rain on both Saturday and Sunday.

I want there to be rain, because I want Vettel to make amends for what happened in Germany. I seriously think that he’s second only to Hamilton in the wet. Hungary is a chance to prove it and silence the critics.


Forecast says wet weekend Fri - Sun.

Wet weather driving has a skill to it, but most times it's pot luck.

An example is Verstappen he was highly praised in Brazil '16 but he had a spin in the final corner on to the straights that could have ended in the wall but didn't.

Last race with Vettel it was unlucky for him it happened at the sachs curve where its just gravel in the run off area which is just like being on ice when wet.

Vettel his first and second race win came in the wet.


Last edited by Rockie on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:00 pm
Posts: 113
Can we please stick to the topic of the Hungarian practice and qualifying?

If you'd like to compare different drivers' wet weather races please start a thread on the subject. (Not least because its a thread I'd like to read!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6237
Location: Mumbai, India
KingVoid wrote:
There’s a chance of rain on both Saturday and Sunday.

I want there to be rain, because I want Vettel to make amends for what happened in Germany. I seriously think that he’s second only to Hamilton in the wet. Hungary is a chance to prove it and silence the critics.


Red Bull were poised to look strong in the dry here. If it rains, it just becomes a Red Bull weekend. Ferrari would be their closest competitor but Verstappen..in rain..at Hungary..would be hard to beat him.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 26865
Cheers :thumbup:

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am
Posts: 378
These back to back weekends provide a good chance to bounce back but also you can lose a WDC in a week. Vettel is now on “crunch point”, a scenario where if he has a DNF and his title rival a win his WDC chances drop massively. Which is crazy, because at mid distance in Germany, it seemed like Hamilton was in this danger of being nearly 50 points down himself if he bad weekend in Hungary.

What a crazy season, if form is to continue we will go into the summer break with them nearly even.

A wet race weekend would be very interesting, I think Verstappen would be favourite but you can never discount Vettel or Hamilton for any weekend.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 26865
JN23 wrote:
Based on Monaco performance wouldn't be surprised to see Red Bull as the team to beat here. Merc and Ferrari seemed pretty even in Monaco so could be the same here also.

It wouldn't be a bad result for Hamilton if a Red Bull car was to win.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 26865
KingVoid wrote:
There’s a chance of rain on both Saturday and Sunday.

I want there to be rain, because I want Vettel to make amends for what happened in Germany. I seriously think that he’s second only to Hamilton in the wet. Hungary is a chance to prove it and silence the critics.

I hope you are right.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2176
minchy wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
There’s a chance of rain on both Saturday and Sunday.

I want there to be rain, because I want Vettel to make amends for what happened in Germany. I seriously think that he’s second only to Hamilton in the wet. Hungary is a chance to prove it and silence the critics.

I am curious as to which races (other than his maiden win in Italy) you believe he has proved himself to be on par with or close to Hamilton in the wet? We've had so few wet races in recent years, the only times I can remember are actually changable conditions, where he has made mistakes.

I said that Vettel is second only to Hamilton in the rain, I didn’t say he was equal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am
Posts: 378
I used to rate Hamilton and Vettel as equal in the rain, possibly even Vettel ahead because Button was close to Lewis in those conditions but on reflection Jenson is one of the greatest of all time in mixed conditions and decision making on when to change tyres and won lots of races through this when Hamiltons team mate.

Vettel is amazing in the wet. He had the Toro Rosso win and he used to beat Webber comfortably who himself was also a wet weather specialist. Even when he struggled in 2014 against Ricciardo, as soon as it rained he was back in front of him. Only his wet form 2016-2017 has been a tiny bit off that I would probably rate Hamilton just a fraction higher these days.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:58 pm
Posts: 22
Johnson wrote:
I used to rate Hamilton and Vettel as equal in the rain, possibly even Vettel ahead because Button was close to Lewis in those conditions but on reflection Jenson is one of the greatest of all time in mixed conditions and decision making on when to change tyres and won lots of races through this when Hamiltons team mate.

Vettel is amazing in the wet. He had the Toro Rosso win and he used to beat Webber comfortably who himself was also a wet weather specialist. Even when he struggled in 2014 against Ricciardo, as soon as it rained he was back in front of him. Only his wet form 2016-2017 has been a tiny bit off that I would probably rate Hamilton just a fraction higher these days.


Interesting, I have never heard Webber be thought of as a wet weather specialist. Don't remember any drives in the wet because he usually ended up DNFing. China 2009 is the one I remember not DNFing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:58 pm
Posts: 22
Vettel must win in Hungary, and hope that at least one of the Red Bulls finish ahead of him if he wants to win the championship.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7217
Thebusinessmuppet wrote:
Vettel must win in Hungary, and hope that at least one of the Red Bulls finish ahead of him if he wants to win the championship.

That's obviously not true, if Ferrari came back after the summer break with a beast of an upgrade he could afford to DNF in Hungary with Hamilton winning. There's 17 points in it with half the championship still remaining, anything could happen at this point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 936
Thebusinessmuppet wrote:
Vettel must win in Hungary, and hope that at least one of the Red Bulls finish ahead of him if he wants to win the championship.


You do realize that there are 10 races left, this isn’t a must win. Is this a track where vettel could win given the characteristics of the Ferrari yes. But this race will not be the deciding factor of a championship. Plenty of points still to play for

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 4720
Mayhem wrote:
Thebusinessmuppet wrote:
Vettel must win in Hungary, and hope that at least one of the Red Bulls finish ahead of him if he wants to win the championship.


You do realize that there are 10 races left, this isn’t a must win. Is this a track where vettel could win given the characteristics of the Ferrari yes. But this race will not be the deciding factor of a championship. Plenty of points still to play for


Just going to quote you as you've mentioned something I'm seeing a lot of everywhere but it's not aimed at you but I thought Ferrari's edge was on the straights? If Mercedes are losing 0.5 on the straights in Germany then that means they have a sizeable advantage everywhere else to only qualify a couple of tenths behind with Bottas.

I know last year Monaco,Hungary and Singapore were Ferrari country but they extended their wheelbase for this year to get closer to Mercedes strength everywhere else and this year Monaco didn't really look as good for Ferrari, didn't look much in it between Merc/Ferrari to me.

I'd favour Red Bull if anyone but Mercedes have to be making time up on Ferrari somewhere if it's true they're losing that much on the straights surely?

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1501
Lotus49 wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
Thebusinessmuppet wrote:
Vettel must win in Hungary, and hope that at least one of the Red Bulls finish ahead of him if he wants to win the championship.


You do realize that there are 10 races left, this isn’t a must win. Is this a track where vettel could win given the characteristics of the Ferrari yes. But this race will not be the deciding factor of a championship. Plenty of points still to play for


Just going to quote you as you've mentioned something I'm seeing a lot of everywhere but it's not aimed at you but I thought Ferrari's edge was on the straights? If Mercedes are losing 0.5 on the straights in Germany then that means they have a sizeable advantage everywhere else to only qualify a couple of tenths behind with Bottas.

I know last year Monaco,Hungary and Singapore were Ferrari country but they extended their wheelbase for this year to get closer to Mercedes strength everywhere else and this year Monaco didn't really look as good for Ferrari, didn't look much in it between Merc/Ferrari to me.

I'd favour Red Bull if anyone but Mercedes have to be making time up on Ferrari somewhere if it's true they're losing that much on the straights surely?


I said something like this earlier there is no way Mercedes is losing 0.5s to Ferrari on the straights.

Also Ferrari being better than the Mercedes still holds on the twisty bits.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 4720
Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
Thebusinessmuppet wrote:
Vettel must win in Hungary, and hope that at least one of the Red Bulls finish ahead of him if he wants to win the championship.


You do realize that there are 10 races left, this isn’t a must win. Is this a track where vettel could win given the characteristics of the Ferrari yes. But this race will not be the deciding factor of a championship. Plenty of points still to play for


Just going to quote you as you've mentioned something I'm seeing a lot of everywhere but it's not aimed at you but I thought Ferrari's edge was on the straights? If Mercedes are losing 0.5 on the straights in Germany then that means they have a sizeable advantage everywhere else to only qualify a couple of tenths behind with Bottas.

I know last year Monaco,Hungary and Singapore were Ferrari country but they extended their wheelbase for this year to get closer to Mercedes strength everywhere else and this year Monaco didn't really look as good for Ferrari, didn't look much in it between Merc/Ferrari to me.

I'd favour Red Bull if anyone but Mercedes have to be making time up on Ferrari somewhere if it's true they're losing that much on the straights surely?


I said something like this earlier there is no way Mercedes is losing 0.5s to Ferrari on the straights.

Also Ferrari being better than the Mercedes still holds on the twisty bits.


Well there's enough people saying it about the power now that there's got to be something in it, I've no idea how much.

Not long to find out anyway.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 258
Location: Kansas
Are these the thinner tread tires or the thicker?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1501
Lotus49 wrote:
Rockie wrote:

I said something like this earlier there is no way Mercedes is losing 0.5s to Ferrari on the straights.

Also Ferrari being better than the Mercedes still holds on the twisty bits.


Well there's enough people saying it about the power now that there's got to be something in it, I've no idea how much.

Not long to find out anyway.


True that, but it's just Mercedes that keeps saying it, other say Ferrari have improved their straight line speed.

What's glaring is Mercedes customers have not improved with the works engine upgrade like the Ferrari customer teams.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 4720
Mort Canard wrote:
Are these the thinner tread tires or the thicker?


Thicker.

No-more thinner tyre due to be used, it was only for the resurfaced Spain,France and Silverstone was it pencilled in for.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 2773
Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Rockie wrote:

I said something like this earlier there is no way Mercedes is losing 0.5s to Ferrari on the straights.

Also Ferrari being better than the Mercedes still holds on the twisty bits.


Well there's enough people saying it about the power now that there's got to be something in it, I've no idea how much.

Not long to find out anyway.


True that, but it's just Mercedes that keeps saying it, other say Ferrari have improved their straight line speed.

What's glaring is Mercedes customers have not improved with the works engine upgrade like the Ferrari customer teams.


It's not just Wolff saying it, he said there losing 0.5 on the straights which I'm sure he said after quali. Amus said 0.4 after quali, I have heard Rosberg say a 20% boost, Horner says it's the benchmark. Everywhere you read or hear says the Ferrari engine is the best. It's not a bad thing Ferrari having the best engine and no one saying it's like the Mercedes domination period, what they have done is absolutely superb and has to be applauded.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 936
Lotus49 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
Thebusinessmuppet wrote:
Vettel must win in Hungary, and hope that at least one of the Red Bulls finish ahead of him if he wants to win the championship.


You do realize that there are 10 races left, this isn’t a must win. Is this a track where vettel could win given the characteristics of the Ferrari yes. But this race will not be the deciding factor of a championship. Plenty of points still to play for


Just going to quote you as you've mentioned something I'm seeing a lot of everywhere but it's not aimed at you but I thought Ferrari's edge was on the straights? If Mercedes are losing 0.5 on the straights in Germany then that means they have a sizeable advantage everywhere else to only qualify a couple of tenths behind with Bottas.

I know last year Monaco,Hungary and Singapore were Ferrari country but they extended their wheelbase for this year to get closer to Mercedes strength everywhere else and this year Monaco didn't really look as good for Ferrari, didn't look much in it between Merc/Ferrari to me.

I'd favour Red Bull if anyone but Mercedes have to be making time up on Ferrari somewhere if it's true they're losing that much on the straights surely?


I said something like this earlier there is no way Mercedes is losing 0.5s to Ferrari on the straights.

Also Ferrari being better than the Mercedes still holds on the twisty bits.


Well there's enough people saying it about the power now that there's got to be something in it, I've no idea how much.

Not long to find out anyway.


@ Lotus49 - no worries on the quoting, I have seen the same comments as well and I don’t buy it at this point in time. Which is why I said ferrari “could” win. It’s a possibility but not a guarantee as some are hinting.....

Also if ferrari had that much of a straight line advantage they should have ran away with the Silverstone pole. Their straight line speed has improved but I’m not convinced it’s half a sec advantage imo...

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 2773
Mayhem wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Mayhem wrote:

You do realize that there are 10 races left, this isn’t a must win. Is this a track where vettel could win given the characteristics of the Ferrari yes. But this race will not be the deciding factor of a championship. Plenty of points still to play for


Just going to quote you as you've mentioned something I'm seeing a lot of everywhere but it's not aimed at you but I thought Ferrari's edge was on the straights? If Mercedes are losing 0.5 on the straights in Germany then that means they have a sizeable advantage everywhere else to only qualify a couple of tenths behind with Bottas.

I know last year Monaco,Hungary and Singapore were Ferrari country but they extended their wheelbase for this year to get closer to Mercedes strength everywhere else and this year Monaco didn't really look as good for Ferrari, didn't look much in it between Merc/Ferrari to me.

I'd favour Red Bull if anyone but Mercedes have to be making time up on Ferrari somewhere if it's true they're losing that much on the straights surely?


I said something like this earlier there is no way Mercedes is losing 0.5s to Ferrari on the straights.

Also Ferrari being better than the Mercedes still holds on the twisty bits.


Well there's enough people saying it about the power now that there's got to be something in it, I've no idea how much.

Not long to find out anyway.


@ Lotus49 - no worries on the quoting, I have seen the same comments as well and I don’t buy it at this point in time. Which is why I said ferrari “could” win. It’s a possibility but not a guarantee as some are hinting.....

Also if ferrari had that much of a straight line advantage they should have ran away with the Silverstone pole. Their straight line speed has improved but I’m not convinced it’s half a sec advantage imo...


Wolff was only talking about Hockenheim, Hamilton initially said 0.3.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:58 pm
Posts: 22
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Thebusinessmuppet wrote:
Vettel must win in Hungary, and hope that at least one of the Red Bulls finish ahead of him if he wants to win the championship.

That's obviously not true, if Ferrari came back after the summer break with a beast of an upgrade he could afford to DNF in Hungary with Hamilton winning. There's 17 points in it with half the championship still remaining, anything could happen at this point.


You said, if. There is no guarantee Ferrari will create a monster of an engine. If Vettel wins and Hamilton finishes second, the gap would be 10 points. Right now Hamilton has the momentum especially winning from 14th. Vettel crashing was a huge dent to his champsionhip bid. 17 pointsand above is a hige margin where Mercedes and Ferrari are relatively equal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am
Posts: 378
Silverstone is tailor made to the Mercedes with the use of the low gauge tyres and it being Mercedes and Hamiltons most dominant track of the hyrbrid era. Hamilton described his qualifying lap as the lap of his life. He qualified just 0.044 ahead of Vettel. Its also just about Vettels weakest track on the entire calendar.

He also out qualified Raikkonen who is on an old spec engine by 0.098. Ferrari were very fast in Silverstone over 1 lap. Kim 0.2 up on Bottas is also pretty telling.


Last edited by Johnson on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:58 pm
Posts: 22
Mort Canard wrote:
Are these the thinner tread tires or the thicker?


The thinner tyres will no longer be used this year as far as I know. Barcelona, Paul Ricard and Silverstone were the venues those tyres used.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:58 pm
Posts: 22
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Rockie wrote:

I said something like this earlier there is no way Mercedes is losing 0.5s to Ferrari on the straights.

Also Ferrari being better than the Mercedes still holds on the twisty bits.


Well there's enough people saying it about the power now that there's got to be something in it, I've no idea how much.

Not long to find out anyway.


True that, but it's just Mercedes that keeps saying it, other say Ferrari have improved their straight line speed.

What's glaring is Mercedes customers have not improved with the works engine upgrade like the Ferrari customer teams.


It's not just Wolff saying it, he said there losing 0.5 on the straights which I'm sure he said after quali. Amus said 0.4 after quali, I have heard Rosberg say a 20% boost, Horner says it's the benchmark. Everywhere you read or hear says the Ferrari engine is the best. It's not a bad thing Ferrari having the best engine and no one saying it's like the Mercedes domination period, what they have done is absolutely superb and has to be applauded.


No way half a second, that would mean the Red Bulls would be losing much more and be 1.5 to 2 seconds off the pace.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am
Posts: 378
Thebusinessmuppet wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Rockie wrote:

I said something like this earlier there is no way Mercedes is losing 0.5s to Ferrari on the straights.

Also Ferrari being better than the Mercedes still holds on the twisty bits.


Well there's enough people saying it about the power now that there's got to be something in it, I've no idea how much.

Not long to find out anyway.


True that, but it's just Mercedes that keeps saying it, other say Ferrari have improved their straight line speed.

What's glaring is Mercedes customers have not improved with the works engine upgrade like the Ferrari customer teams.


It's not just Wolff saying it, he said there losing 0.5 on the straights which I'm sure he said after quali. Amus said 0.4 after quali, I have heard Rosberg say a 20% boost, Horner says it's the benchmark. Everywhere you read or hear says the Ferrari engine is the best. It's not a bad thing Ferrari having the best engine and no one saying it's like the Mercedes domination period, what they have done is absolutely superb and has to be applauded.


No way half a second, that would mean the Red Bulls would be losing much more and be 1.5 to 2 seconds off the pace.


Its a fact, the Ferrari was 0.4-0.5 quicker on the straights. Its not debatable, the GPS shows it clearly.

It is however likely a combination of setup, PU and chassis drag etc.

It also means the Mercedes was 0.3-0.4 quicker through the corners.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 2773
Thebusinessmuppet wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Rockie wrote:

I said something like this earlier there is no way Mercedes is losing 0.5s to Ferrari on the straights.

Also Ferrari being better than the Mercedes still holds on the twisty bits.


Well there's enough people saying it about the power now that there's got to be something in it, I've no idea how much.

Not long to find out anyway.


True that, but it's just Mercedes that keeps saying it, other say Ferrari have improved their straight line speed.

What's glaring is Mercedes customers have not improved with the works engine upgrade like the Ferrari customer teams.


It's not just Wolff saying it, he said there losing 0.5 on the straights which I'm sure he said after quali. Amus said 0.4 after quali, I have heard Rosberg say a 20% boost, Horner says it's the benchmark. Everywhere you read or hear says the Ferrari engine is the best. It's not a bad thing Ferrari having the best engine and no one saying it's like the Mercedes domination period, what they have done is absolutely superb and has to be applauded.


No way half a second, that would mean the Red Bulls would be losing much more and be 1.5 to 2 seconds off the pace.


Amus reported engine wise 0.4 to Mercedes and 0.8 to Red bull.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 26865
F1_Ernie wrote:
Thebusinessmuppet wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Well there's enough people saying it about the power now that there's got to be something in it, I've no idea how much.

Not long to find out anyway.


True that, but it's just Mercedes that keeps saying it, other say Ferrari have improved their straight line speed.

What's glaring is Mercedes customers have not improved with the works engine upgrade like the Ferrari customer teams.


It's not just Wolff saying it, he said there losing 0.5 on the straights which I'm sure he said after quali. Amus said 0.4 after quali, I have heard Rosberg say a 20% boost, Horner says it's the benchmark. Everywhere you read or hear says the Ferrari engine is the best. It's not a bad thing Ferrari having the best engine and no one saying it's like the Mercedes domination period, what they have done is absolutely superb and has to be applauded.


No way half a second, that would mean the Red Bulls would be losing much more and be 1.5 to 2 seconds off the pace.


Amus reported engine wise 0.4 to Mercedes and 0.8 to Red bull.

After Ferrari basically got the all clear for the battery it seems that for Germany they brought an improved MGU-K and ERS system, which I guess is the battery?

Wolff seems to think it's an area were the FIA can't really police.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 258
Location: Kansas
Lotus49 wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Are these the thinner tread tires or the thicker?


Thicker.

No-more thinner tyre due to be used, it was only for the resurfaced Spain,France and Silverstone was it pencilled in for.


Thanks!!! :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Colinjb, dsf1, Google Adsense [Bot], mikeyg123, wire2004, Zoue and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group