planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:47 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Bob Fernley has left the Force India team. Sheesh!
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138188/fernley-leaves-force-india-role

No surprise, only Vijay himself was a stronger representation of the previous era at Force India.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:24 am 

Sad, but not surprising - I don't think he'll be out of a job for long.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:10 pm 

Yay, is this some drama in F1? We had such things back in 70's and 80's without any fuss, but the rules were much simpler.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:36 pm 

Perez's words in his latest interview:

"I think the team is quite optimistic, quite happy," he said. "We can see a release on the upgrades coming for the future, we see a different structure, and financially the team has a much more stable future for the coming years, so I think that can directly be linked to track performance.

"This team is a bit used to being in difficult situations, and you know, we're coming out of a difficult position.

"I think the team is always ready, we have great team members, and the people back home are performing at their best, everyone is very motivated, which I have to thank everyone for that, so very much looking forward to it."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:25 pm 

So I just read that some media outlets have heard that a musical chairs of sorts is likely brewing where from Monza onward Stroll Jr will move to his dad’s new team with Ocon possibly moving to McLaren to replace Vandoorne in 2019 which would result in Kubica being promoted to Stroll’s seat effective immediately!

I hope all that happens because Kubica deserves the shot.

Perez pretty much stated he’s definitely staying on with the team next year so that’s good for him.

And while I feel bad for Vandoorne, he should do all he can for the remainder of the season to try and land a seat at Sauber or Haas next year, but I hope Ferrari try and get Kvyat into one of those seats.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:43 pm 

Force India will be competing under a new name - Racing Point Force India at he Belgian Grand Prix as per a few reports. Though not official, atleast good to know they'll be racing in Spa.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/23/racing-point-force-india-f1/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:59 pm 

If they are a new legal entity and allowed to come in this season does that mean that, theoretically at least, they start from zero regarding power unit usage?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:43 pm 

dompclarke wrote:
If they are a new legal entity and allowed to come in this season does that mean that, theoretically at least, they start from zero regarding power unit usage?

I'm sure that with the totally fair and equitable practices that we're used to in F1...
They'll lose all of the points (team only, drivers will keep theirs) and prize money that was accrued as FI. It is a new team in effect after all. Right? I mean those other guys went broke!

But will still have to stick with the number of PU components already used. Because of course the team that used to be FI already used that number of components and we can't have teams gaming the system by going broke and gaining an unfair advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:23 pm 

Heh, Kubica finally gets back to F1. Hopefully that will put him in the shop window for next year maybe at Toro Rosso if Williams persist in pay drivers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:12 pm 

What a terrible name. Why not get rid of Force India right then and there?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:12 pm 

What a completely stupid name! It must be the most awful name in formula one's history!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:24 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
What a completely stupid name! It must be the most awful name in formula one's history!

BMW Sauber Ferrari disagrees.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:00 pm 

^^^ LOL

I thought the same thing! :LOL:

If they had to change the name and lose ALL their points and earnings, why not just rename it completely and remove all ties to Force India??!?!?!??
I'm betting it's the whole stupid Red Tape deal with teams and the FIA not allowing a new entry without the "appropriate" notice period.

If it were me, I would petition to reset number of units and/or components used because if the team cannot keep the points they've EARNED, they should also not own the allotment of components utilized either. It's only fair, and it would not open the door to teams playing the system under similar pretenses because in order for a team to get to this point they have to show hard evidence of financial woes, and banks, suppliers and sponsors would have to file legal documentation in order to have the government freeze all assets AND relinquish the millions in prize money, so it's a preposterous notion. No entity would ever willingly go through all that paperwork and risk being found guilty of falsifying information to "play" the system. This transaction was done under legal pretenses and it's STILL not 100% complete which shows how difficult and complex the process is, and the new owners have deeeeep pockets with liquid cash in the front pocket!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:20 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

BMW Sauber Ferrari disagrees.

This one is worse…

Caterham!

And they created this monstrosity to boot!
https://makformula1.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... -good.html

Even their road cars are horrendously atrocious!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:28 am 

This is what Stroll Sr. said yesterday after all the formalities were completed:

"Together with my fellow shareholders, we will invest in new resources and bring fresh energy to empower the workforce to continue racing at the very highest level. We are all passionate about motor racing; we recognise the racers’ spirit in Force India, and we are extremely motivated to make this team even more special in the years ahead.”

If he's serious about every word said, he needs to think more like a businessman & not as a father. For the team to succeed, 2 good drivers are required!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:08 am 

It will be interesting to see if they give it a real go like Red Bull or are happy winning Formula B.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:24 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
This is what Stroll Sr. said yesterday after all the formalities were completed:

"Together with my fellow shareholders, we will invest in new resources and bring fresh energy to empower the workforce to continue racing at the very highest level. We are all passionate about motor racing; we recognise the racers’ spirit in Force India, and we are extremely motivated to make this team even more special in the years ahead.”

If he's serious about every word said, he needs to think more like a businessman & not as a father. For the team to succeed, 2 good drivers are required!

I for one really hope lance does well at his new team to silence his critics.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:49 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
^^^ LOL

I thought the same thing! :LOL:

If they had to change the name and lose ALL their points and earnings, why not just rename it completely and remove all ties to Force India??!?!?!??
I'm betting it's the whole stupid Red Tape deal with teams and the FIA not allowing a new entry without the "appropriate" notice period.

If it were me, I would petition to reset number of units and/or components used because if the team cannot keep the points they've EARNED, they should also not own the allotment of components utilized either. It's only fair, and it would not open the door to teams playing the system under similar pretenses because in order for a team to get to this point they have to show hard evidence of financial woes, and banks, suppliers and sponsors would have to file legal documentation in order to have the government freeze all assets AND relinquish the millions in prize money, so it's a preposterous notion. No entity would ever willingly go through all that paperwork and risk being found guilty of falsifying information to "play" the system. This transaction was done under legal pretenses and it's STILL not 100% complete which shows how difficult and complex the process is, and the new owners have deeeeep pockets with liquid cash in the front pocket!

No doubt the FIA will delay the decision, meaning they have to compete as if they were FI only to be told after the end of the season that no actually you aren't and you won't be getting that prize money after all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:16 am 

Another good news!!!!

Racing Point Force India will get the prize money that was due to them after unanimous agreement by all teams for this.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/24/force-indias-rivals-agree-to-let-team-keep-prize-money/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:50 pm 

Altair wrote:

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

For legal reasons and the F1 Championship, they needed to keep the Force India name. According from the press interview, it appears they will change the name in 2019.... Watch this space? ;)

It is sad that they will lose thy're points in WC. I'm sure Williams had a lot to say in this matter as all teams had to agree on the decision.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:10 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

I'm kinda getting the impression you REALLY don't want Lance Stroll in the team do you?

At least give the kid the opportunity to show you what he has before you write him off UnlikeUday. He's in his 2nd season, driving a car that even Robert Kubica has basically said is diabolical. He's out driving his team mate, already has a podium & a front row start to his name. He's great off the start line, brings the car home & shows a great amount of humility & when one considers the environment he must have grown up in that says a lot for his parents.

As i've said, I highly doubt Lawrence Stroll will continue to pay Williams the $20m p.a or whatever it is for his son to drive for them when he can have his son drive for his team & put that $20m either into the team or use it to help recover his investment costs. Also it'd be pretty poor form for Lawrence, as a father, to tell his son he'd rather pay someone else a bucket load of cash to have him drive for them than drive for his own team.

I'm sure his old man will give him an opportunity. I hope he does & i'll be quite happy if that does happen. I'm also sure that if Lance doesn't make the most of that opportunity, Lawrence will sit him down & have a difficult but necessary conversation with him. He is now, after all, a team owner responsible for the livelihoods of over 400 employees and no longer just the rich father of a kid that likes to think he can drive fast.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:42 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I'm kinda getting the impression you REALLY don't want Lance Stroll in the team do you?

At least give the kid the opportunity to show you what he has before you write him off UnlikeUday. He's in his 2nd season, driving a car that even Robert Kubica has basically said is diabolical. He's out driving his team mate, already has a podium & a front row start to his name. He's great off the start line, brings the car home & shows a great amount of humility & when one considers the environment he must have grown up in that says a lot for his parents.

As i've said, I highly doubt Lawrence Stroll will continue to pay Williams the $20m p.a or whatever it is for his son to drive for them when he can have his son drive for his team & put that $20m either into the team or use it to help recover his investment costs. Also it'd be pretty poor form for Lawrence, as a father, to tell his son he'd rather pay someone else a bucket load of cash to have him drive for them than drive for his own team.

I'm sure his old man will give him an opportunity. I hope he does & i'll be quite happy if that does happen. I'm also sure that if Lance doesn't make the most of that opportunity, Lawrence will sit him down & have a difficult but necessary conversation with him. He is now, after all, a team owner responsible for the livelihoods of over 400 employees and no longer just the rich father of a kid that likes to think he can drive fast.

A reasonable response.

Like I've said earlier, stroll might be the driver with the most pressure on him next season, he needs fo perform of be sacked by his father.

That said, I don't get the hate on for the kid, he does have a few accomplishments from last season and this year's Williams is a lemon. I really hope he does well in a better car.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:15 am 

Altair wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

A reasonable response.

Like I've said earlier, stroll might be the driver with the most pressure on him next season, he needs fo perform of be sacked by his father.

That said, I don't get the hate on for the kid, he does have a few accomplishments from last season and this year's Williams is a lemon. I really hope he does well in a better car.

My only anguish is that a good driver like Ocon gets to pay for this. No doubt Lawrence did a lot of good by saving so many jobs but just because he's Lance's father, it shouldn't be obligatory to replace a driver that's upped his game this year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:37 am 

Noni wrote:
Altair wrote:

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

For legal reasons and the F1 Championship, they needed to keep the Force India name. According from the press interview, it appears they will change the name in 2019.... Watch this space? ;)

It is sad that they will lose thy're points in WC. I'm sure Williams had a lot to say in this matter as all teams had to agree on the decision.

I doubt Williams would have a major issue with them keeping them. The knew team will probably be ahead of Williams in the WCC after this race anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:43 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Altair wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

A reasonable response.

My only anguish is that a good driver like Ocon gets to pay for this. No doubt Lawrence did a lot of good by saving so many jobs but just because he's Lance's father, it shouldn't be obligatory to replace a driver that's upped his game this year.

It's not obligatory but it's certainly his prerogative.

I can certainly understand your position on Ocon going but there's a difference between saying that you feel that Ocon is a better driver than Stroll, and you very well might be right there, and continually hinting that you think Stroll is a poor driver.

I think Lance deserves the benefit of the doubt, if indeed he does end up at RPFI (I just can't bring myself to type out the name). To insinuate he's not even a "good driver" taking into account his achievements so far and the equipment he's been given, is a tad short sighted.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:57 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Altair wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

A reasonable response.

I can certainly understand your position on Ocon going but there's a difference between saying that you feel that Ocon is a better driver than Stroll, and you very well might be right there, and continually hinting that you think Stroll is a poor driver.

I think Lance deserves the benefit of the doubt, if indeed he does end up at RPFI (I just can't bring myself to type out the name). To insinuate he's not even a "good driver" taking into account his achievements so far and the equipment he's been given, is a tad short sighted.

It depends what level you judge him against. Compared to his peers in F1 I think it would be hard to make the case he isn't in the bottom third of drivers on the grid and thus a description of "poor" would be accurate. If all things are equal and fair I wouldn't expect him to get near Perez in the dry. In fairness to Lance I do rate Perez as the best of the "journeymen".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Altair wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

A reasonable response.

It's also ironical that Stroll will be replacing Ocon who's he good friends with. During the driver's parade they're always together. I wonder when Stroll does replace Ocon, hoping their friendship doesn't take a big dent.

Wouldn't it be sensible (to some extent) that Lawrence lets Ocon & Perez continue this whole season? Since the team is starting from 0, they need all the points to recover some prize money for this year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:21 pm 

I actually feel for both of them. For Lance because he has a label of the slow driver but is also at the slowest team, and can't prove anyone wrong, as well as Ocon who does not deserve to be put away, his performances are very good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:28 pm 

Persoanlly I think Ocon is a better driver then Perez. I like both drivers and equally talented IMO!.... To have Ocon sitting on the sidelines will dent those prosperous stars without money.

I don't think Stroll is at that same level of Ocon or Perez IMO..

Please give OCON a good seat please!!... :-P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:55 pm 

I just don't see the Stroll-Perez combination as being a strong driver pairing. I have to wonder if the team will suffer next year with these two.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:24 am 

Mort Canard wrote:
I just don't see the Stroll-Perez combination as being a strong driver pairing. I have to wonder if the team will suffer next year with these two.

Perez is more than capable of bringing home good results. Just like Sauber, Force India will be getting good financial backing & developments will be big & often. Perez can be depended upon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:11 am 

Mort Canard wrote:

Perez is probably the best journeyman driver in that midfield and has won the little midfield championship for the last three years. He'll put the car where it should be.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:10 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

Perez is more than capable of bringing home good results. Just like Sauber, Force India will be getting good financial backing & developments will be big & often. Perez can be depended upon.

Yes I'd agree that Perez can bring home solid results. I think he'd be a fairly good benchmark for Stroll, too, which let's face it is all the other driver at FI will ever be now. If Stroll can't stay near him then that would show them just how much money they are throwing away on a vanity project. However, if Stroll gets close to him then it would vindicate their decision

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 am 

Mercedes' Toto Wolff has said indirectly that they're looking at Force India to be Mercedes' B-eam. Excerpts from the link below:

'All of us are structured, all of us have processes in place that make sense and evaluating potential opportunities is something that we will clearly do. Force India is eight miles down the road from us and they are a team that has punched above their weight class and the result in qualifying confirms my respect for them in terms of racing and within the permissible regulations we will explore all avenues.'

http://www.espn.in/f1/story/_/id/24480017/mercedes-exploring-collaboration-force-india

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:16 am 

Zoue wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

Yes I'd agree that Perez can bring home solid results. I think he'd be a fairly good benchmark for Stroll, too, which let's face it is all the other driver at FI will ever be now. If Stroll can't stay near him then that would show them just how much money they are throwing away on a vanity project. However, if Stroll gets close to him then it would vindicate their decision

Yes, make or break for Stroll. Perez level speed is probably the minimum requirement for some real success at the top level.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:14 am 

Sirotkin trampled Stroll in qualy & the race. I hope Lance's father understands the risk of putting him in the seat & replacing Ocon!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:07 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sirotkin trampled Stroll in qualy & the race. I hope Lance's father understands the risk of putting him in the seat & replacing Ocon!

Sirotkin actually only beat him narrowly in both qualifying and the race, but considering that he's a rookie and likely had a damaged car after the first lap I'd still say it's cause for concern if you're Stroll.

I do think there's a huge risk to whatever remains of Stroll's reputation if he goes up against Perez. He's going to lose, and badly. Massa beat him by .7 of a second on average as he was heading out the door: I wouldn't be surprised if Perez laps him with regularity.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:50 am 

Its a shame they chose Racing Point Force India. It does not ring when you say it or look good initialised.

They should have chosen something like Force India Racing Enterprise so it could be written as FIRE.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:27 am 

Latest full rumour is:

Kubica >> Williams
Stroll >> Racing Point Force India
Ocon >> McLaren
Vandoorne >> Sauber
Ericsson >> Leaves F1

All could happen by next weekend. Although more likely singapore

Please tweet me> @PG-F1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:07 am 

foolishyouth wrote:
Latest full rumour is:

Kubica >> Williams
Stroll >> Racing Point Force India
Ocon >> McLaren
Vandoorne >> Sauber
Ericsson >> Leaves F1

All could happen by next weekend. Although more likely singapore

This has been already a part of ongoing discussion in the Silly Season 2019 thread. This year the silly season rumours have been quite silly.