planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:10 am 

dompclarke wrote:
Altair wrote:
So I guess the pressure is on Lance Stroll to perform next season.

If he continues to finish near the bottom with a much better car than the Williams he is currently in, that says all there is to say about him deserving to be in Formula One.

Assuming that this team remains better than the Williams next season...

Williams have had issues with theory translating to the track and have apparently turned a corner in this respect. If this is true this should bring them back closer to the front and with the stall in development that's happened at FI with administration they may (meaning they also may not) be less developed then usual for the start of next season.

Fingers crossed both teams are at least nipping at the heals of the top teams

The problem for Williams is that they’re losing Martini at the end of the season and if they’re losing the Stroll support I don’t see how they’re not the next to be in this situation if they don’t have another major sponsor lined up already.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:05 am 

These are the saviours of Force India (possibly owners as well now):

Stroll is joined in the consortium by Canadian entrepreneur Andre Desmarais, Jonathan Dudman of Monaco Sports and Management, fashion business leader John Idol, telecommunications investor John McCaw Jr, financial expert Michael de Picciotto and Stroll’s business partner Silas Chou.

As per the article below, Force India will now receive ample funding & hopefully it will become more competitive in 2019. Andrew Green had said all the upgrade designs were ready but were not being made due to lack of funds. Hopefully, they work on those parts which should see an increase in their competitiveness in a week grand prix weekends.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/8/force-india-set-to-exit-administration-.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:06 am 

TheDamus wrote:
As a long time Force India fan and a Canadian I am quite happy with this outcome. Here is hoping they don't sink to the bottom of the pecking order next year.

Not a force India fan, but as a canadian I am hapoy to see this shaping up to be Canadas team.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:09 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Altair wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I'm disappointed at the loss of FI they were easily the best team on the grid pound for pound and were one of the few midfield teams to actually sign talented drivers.

On the other hand I'm thrilled nobody will lose their jobs and wish the Strolls well. Hopefully Ocon and Perez will find seats for 2019 because they are both way to good to lose from the grid.

I imagine one of them will be Strolls team mate next season.

I'd be surprised. The Strolls aren't spending a fortune for Lance to have his donkey handed to him.

I would manage expectations. Make lance the number two, so if/when he finishes behind his teammate its no big deal. If he outperforms his teammate, he overacheived,

After a season or two he will have "earned" the top spot. Lovely story really.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:02 am 

Altair wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Altair wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I'm disappointed at the loss of FI they were easily the best team on the grid pound for pound and were one of the few midfield teams to actually sign talented drivers.

On the other hand I'm thrilled nobody will lose their jobs and wish the Strolls well. Hopefully Ocon and Perez will find seats for 2019 because they are both way to good to lose from the grid.

I'd be surprised. The Strolls aren't spending a fortune for Lance to have his donkey handed to him.

I would manage expectations. Make lance the number two, so if/when he finishes behind his teammate its no big deal. If he outperforms his teammate, he overacheived,

Yeah, but how badly would Perez or Ocon embarrass Lance? That's the question, not if he would beat them (he wouldn't). An aging Massa on the brink of retirement was an average of more than half a second faster than him; I think Perez or Ocon in their prime would beat him worse than Hulk did for Palmer, and that would make it awfully hard for him to ever move to that #1 spot.

Unless of course Lance really has improved dramatically since 2017, in which case putting up a decent showing against a driver like that would do wonders for his credibility.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:23 am 

Above all else, I'm happy to see Force India and 405 jobs saved. That was absolutely the main thing here, and I suppose all you can do is trust that the administrator has made the best decision for the team's long-term future.

Obviously it's a little disheartening that it's the Lawrence Stroll-led consortium that has bought Force India for the simple reason that it means Lance Stroll gets one of the seats. Although my bigger concern there is how much of an impact the Stroll's taking their focus (and therefore their money) away from Williams is going to have on the Grove-based team. And while Lance taking a better seat from arguably more deserving drivers does suck a little, part of me is hoping that the ensuing driver movement is going to lead to a guy like Perez being available for a team such as Sauber, and that it could all mean another less deserving driver (Marcus Ericsson) ends up off the grid anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:26 am 

Exediron wrote:
Altair wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Altair wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Yeah, but how badly would Perez or Ocon embarrass Lance? That's the question, not if he would beat them (he wouldn't). An aging Massa on the brink of retirement was an average of more than half a second faster than him; I think Perez or Ocon in their prime would beat him worse than Hulk did for Palmer, and that would make it awfully hard for him to ever move to that #1 spot.

Unless of course Lance really has improved dramatically since 2017, in which case putting up a decent showing against a driver like that would do wonders for his credibility.

The big difference between 2017 and 2019? Lance's dad is going to own the team he's racing for. So you know he's 100% getting every available upgrade first, probably getting priority in strategy, getting the better crew working on his side of the garage, and for all intents and purposes being treated as the #1 driver in the team.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 am 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Exediron wrote:

The big difference between 2017 and 2019? Lance's dad is going to own the team he's racing for. So you know he's 100% getting every available upgrade first, probably getting priority in strategy, getting the better crew working on his side of the garage, and for all intents and purposes being treated as the #1 driver in the team.

Yeah, but against either Perez or Ocon that's tricky. Perez has backers (Carlos Slim) who could buy Lawrence Stroll and his whole empire by writing a check, and Ocon is backed by the largest and most powerful team in F1 (and a giant company behind that team). If anything too fishy is going on, Stroll is going to have problems.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:58 am 

Exediron wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Yeah, but against either Perez or Ocon that's tricky. Perez has backers (Carlos Slim) who could buy Lawrence Stroll and his whole empire by writing a check, and Ocon is backed by the largest and most powerful team in F1 (and a giant company behind that team). If anything too fishy is going on, Stroll is going to have problems.

It's not going to be an easy decision when it comes to Checo & Ocon. Checo gets $12 million in sponsorship money whereas Ocon's presence makes Mercedes give engines at a discounted price. I've read the team will get considerable funding now which would help them get mighty. Checo or Ocon, sadly 1 of them will have to depart from FI for Lance.

If Williams does become Mercedes' B team wouldn't Lance be happy to stay put?

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/08/force-india-f1-team-saved-by-stroll-backed-consortium-wholl-drive-there/
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rescued-force-india-targets-immediate-upgrades/3155627/?nrt=54

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:13 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
It's not going to be an easy decision when it comes to Checo & Ocon. Checo gets $12 million in sponsorship money ..........

Is that going to be a factor anymore with the Stroll money. Old FI would have needed it badly, now maybe not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:44 am 

Lojik wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
It's not going to be an easy decision when it comes to Checo & Ocon. Checo gets $12 million in sponsorship money ..........

Is that going to be a factor anymore with the Stroll money. Old FI would have needed it badly, now maybe not so much.
Considering how much he gave to Williams just to get lance a seat, on has to think 12 million is chump change.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:48 am 

Lojik wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Anyway, Checo in a recent interview has said that he has a 'couple' of options for 2019. One of these options surely is Haas. I wonder if Sauber is also an option considering Checo was a Ferrari academy driver at 1 time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:16 pm 

Taken from a sports blog comment by Stephen S on Planet F1, an important portfolio about the members of the consortium which is assuring that Force India could get a good funding going into the future.

The list of parties to the deal is a powerhouse:
- Andre Desmarais is worth $5B and his family much more. He is already a sponsor with Canada Life (one of Power Financial’s subsidiary brands) appearing on the Williams cars.
- Silas Chou is a Hong Kong based and worth $2.5B.
- Stroll is worth $2.7B.
- John McCaw Jr. is worth just shy of a billion after his family sold their cell company to AT&T.
- Michael dePicciotto is part of a billionaire Swiss banking family.
- John Idol is the CEO of the Michael Kors fashion brand which is already an F1 sponsor with McLaren. He is worth at least half a billion.

A bit more in detail about these guys.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/men-behind-force-india-buyout-stroll/3155692/

This looks like a seriously good deal with clear intention to build the team on a larger scale. They surely believe the workforce behind Force India are way too talented & efficient to be let gone off their jobs. Bringing a bigger budget to their table & there's no limit to the showcasing of their skills & creativity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:41 pm 

I'm wondering if Lance doesn't drive for Force India next year and goes into team management instead. A similar thing happened when the Diniz family bought into Prost....

If he races it will be him and Robert Kubica unless Mercedes convinces them to carry on with Ocon, I can see Perez moving to Haas and Grosjean being left out in the cold.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:04 pm 

paulsf1fix wrote:
I'm wondering if Lance doesn't drive for Force India next year and goes into team management instead. A similar thing happened when the Diniz family bought into Prost....

If he races it will be him and Robert Kubica unless Mercedes convinces them to carry on with Ocon, I can see Perez moving to Haas and Grosjean being left out in the cold.
I can almost guarantee Lance wants to race in a car better than the Williams he has had for the last two seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:12 pm 

Altair wrote:
paulsf1fix wrote:

I can almost guarantee Lance wants to race in a car better than the Williams he has had for the last two seasons.

But since Stroll Sr. is just a single person in the consortium, wouldn't an agreement be required by the others as to who drives for the team in 2019 (Stroll included)?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:18 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Altair wrote:
paulsf1fix wrote:

But since Stroll Sr. is just a single person in the consortium, wouldn't an agreement be required by the others as to who drives for the team in 2019 (Stroll included)?

Depends on agreements between them, it may be that he is the decision maker for them with them being silent partners. Till more information comes out we won't know what's going on

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:05 pm 

Altair wrote:
Lojik wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Considering how much he gave to Williams just to get lance a seat, on has to think 12 million is chump change.

Slightly off topic, or maybe not as he may have done the same at FI
People 'in the know' (no. sadly I am not one) say Stroll has at least broken even with his investment in Williams.
Apparently he got advertising space and rights for it, but how he made money from that I have no idea.
If they told me they would no longer be people in the know :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:29 pm 

I am very skeptical on two things:
- Stroll and his buddies wanting a competitive teammate for Stroll Jr (which would exclude both Perez and Ocon; the only hope would be Mercedes insisting on Ocon) (... if Stroll does not switch to Ferrari ...)
- Stroll and his buddies having a sustainable interest in running a F1 team (beyond the career of his junior)

However, let's see how they do their business and maybe something good comes out of it. Curious to see which name they will choose (assuming they will not continue with Force India beyond this season).

Also curious to see whether we will see Stroll in the FI already in Spa (at the expense of Perez, most probably).

What will happen to Williams now? Maybe, they can attract one of the remaining four consortia bidding on FI? Andretti Williams could be nice. Or - especially if Stroll tends to Ferrari - becoming Mercedes B-team is the avenue to go. Here is hope a better Williams 2019 contender matches with two more competent drivers - and pushes them up the grid again!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:34 am 

If Sauber-Alfa Romeo is Ferrari’s B-team. Would it be Williams-Smart ForOne should they become the Mercedes B-team?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:58 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
If Sauber-Alfa Romeo is Ferrari’s B-team. Would it be Williams-Smart ForOne should they become the Mercedes B-team?

They could mix it up and be Williams-Freightliner.
As a Williams fan, I hope they don’t become Mercedes B. That will write them off once and for all as a championship contender. I know they aren’t a contender now, and haven’t been for years, but they will never be able to rebuild once they cross that line.

In my ideal world, I would be pushing hard now for Perez to replace the outgoing Stroll. I would also love for them to go out and land a new engine manufacturer once the new regs come out.

If it turns out Porsche and Aston Martin are serious, I think Williams should be the ones pushing the hardest to collaborate with them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:50 am 

Good news for FI. They are very talented team. I guess it is almost certain now that Stroll will be one of the drivers next year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Good news for FI. They are very talented team. I guess it is almost certain now that Stroll will be one of the drivers next year.

Yeah. Checo's well aware of this. No wonder he has said there a couple of options for him for 2019. I see Ocon sticking with this team due to Mercedes' backing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:48 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

Yeah. Checo's well aware of this. No wonder he has said there a couple of options for him for 2019. I see Ocon sticking with this team due to Mercedes' backing.

I think Checo to Haas. Should be a good fit for both of them, and he'd be a solid upgrade over Grosjean in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:30 am 

Exediron wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

I think Checo to Haas. Should be a good fit for both of them, and he'd be a solid upgrade over Grosjean in my opinion.

Yeah. He being a Mexican too would be appealing to Haas sponsors & fans.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:30 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Exediron wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

Yeah. He being a Mexican too would be appealing to Haas sponsors & fans.

Not this fan.

Yes, he would be an upgrade to Grosjean. But I think there’s something about him that, like di Resta, keeps teams from wanting to snap him up at the end of every season and whatever that something is I don’t want to see at Haas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:19 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
- Stroll and his buddies wanting a competitive teammate for Stroll Jr (which would exclude both Perez and Ocon; the only hope would be Mercedes insisting on Ocon) (... if Stroll does not switch to Ferrari ...)
- Stroll and his buddies having a sustainable interest in running a F1 team (beyond the career of his junior)

However, let's see how they do their business and maybe something good comes out of it. Curious to see which name they will choose (assuming they will not continue with Force India beyond this season).

Also curious to see whether we will see Stroll in the FI already in Spa (at the expense of Perez, most probably).

What will happen to Williams now? Maybe, they can attract one of the remaining four consortia bidding on FI? Andretti Williams could be nice. Or - especially if Stroll tends to Ferrari - becoming Mercedes B-team is the avenue to go. Here is hope a better Williams 2019 contender matches with two more competent drivers - and pushes them up the grid again!

BIB - I thought exactly this - might they want to bring in, say, Latifi who isn't great but looking for an F1 drive (Can't see him going to McLaren regardless of the ties). His dad has money too.

It would be sad to see the team lose both drivers, but at least the team survives.

Even with Stroll as a preferential driver, Perez or Ocon would wipe the floor with him I feel.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:58 pm 

Yellowbin74 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

BIB - I thought exactly this - might they want to bring in, say, Latifi who isn't great but looking for an F1 drive (Can't see him going to McLaren regardless of the ties). His dad has money too.

It would be sad to see the team lose both drivers, but at least the team survives.

Even with Stroll as a preferential driver, Perez or Ocon would wipe the floor with him I feel.

Lawrence Stroll is a businessman, and I think he's away the only way this doesn't become a endless pit that eats all his money is for the team to be competative.

As such, I don't see why he would want a non competitive driver lineup. I can honestly see some tough love from papa Stroll, this is business now, Lance gets a seat, and probably first for upgrades and the like, but I can see them getting a good driver to match with him, and he will need to go out duke it out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:13 pm 

Altair wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Lawrence Stroll is a businessman, and I think he's away the only way this doesn't become a endless pit that eats all his money is for the team to be competative.

As such, I don't see why he would want a non competitive driver lineup. I can honestly see some tough love from papa Stroll, this is business now, Lance gets a seat, and probably first for upgrades and the like, but I can see them getting a good driver to match with him, and he will need to go out duke it out.

Considering his reputation as a good businessman, wouldn't he hesitate in giving 1 seat to Lance? Firstly, they're occupied with 2 good drivers (if he wants the team to progress, 2 good drivers are required & not 1 a la Haas). Secondly, if he were to get in Lance, would he be prepared to receive the backlash for being a biased businessman that saved a team to secure his son who's still not proved to be a good driver. It really could be a turn off for Force India fans where a not so competent son cum driver takes away the seat of a more talented driver!

If he's known to make good decisions, is there any scope that Lance won't be hired to drive for Force India for the betterment of the team & steady progress?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:35 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Altair wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Considering his reputation as a good businessman, wouldn't he hesitate in giving 1 seat to Lance? Firstly, they're occupied with 2 good drivers (if he wants the team to progress, 2 good drivers are required & not 1 a la Haas). Secondly, if he were to get in Lance, would he be prepared to receive the backlash for being a biased businessman that saved a team to secure his son who's still not proved to be a good driver. It really could be a turn off for Force India fans where a not so competent son cum driver takes away the seat of a more talented driver!

If he's known to make good decisions, is there any scope that Lance won't be hired to drive for Force India for the betterment of the team & steady progress?
Argument can be made that it's hard to gauge how good or bad stroll is, with that lemon of a car he is driving at williams.

He did have splashes of brilliance during his rookie season, grabbed a podium, was second on the grid. This season has been a complete and utter disaster, but is that due to the drivers or the cars? Kubica can't get anything out of the car, neither can Sirotkin, neither can Stroll. The only one Stroll is really racing against right now, at the back, is his team mate, and he's done better than him on most occasions.

So the argument can be made that Lance is not as bad as the standings show, and he's just stuck in a under performing car. Now, if he goes to FI and makes a mess of things, that argument is over, Lance doesn't deserve to be in F1 and the knives can come out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:28 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Altair wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Don't be mistaken - Lawrence Stroll is in F1 for the career of his son, not as a business man.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:27 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Altair wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Don't be mistaken - Lawrence Stroll is in F1 for the career of his son, not as a business man.
Sr maybe, but I doubt his partners are in it for jr.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:45 am 

Yellowbin74 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Latifi doesn't have enough super license points.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:47 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Altair wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

There is only 1 reason that Lawrence Stroll bought that team and that was for his son.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:43 am 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

There is only 1 reason that Lawrence Stroll bought that team and that was for his son.

And you know that because you're such a good friend of the Strolls?

You have no idea why he bought the team, and you're making an assumption. I have no doubt that giving his son a better career was a big part of the decision, but you can't possibly know that it was the only reason.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:56 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

You have no idea why he bought the team, and you're making an assumption. I have no doubt that giving his son a better career was a big part of the decision, but you can't possibly know that it was the only reason.

We can make a reasonable judgement bassed on what we've seen in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

We can make a reasonable judgement bassed on what we've seen in the past.

I think Stroll Sr. also owns a racing track and numerous fast cars, it seems that he is involved a bit in motorsport in general. Maybe he wants to get even more involved now that his son is racing and this is his break.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:52 am 

Stroll & his partners also now have the careers of over 400 people in their hands.

I'm not convinced his consortium bought FI just as a toy for Lance to play with. Well I sincerely hope not anyway. F1 is becoming too big a joke as it is without this happening.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:06 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Stroll & his partners also now have the careers of over 400 people in their hands.

I'm not convinced his consortium bought FI just as a toy for Lance to play with. Well I sincerely hope not anyway. F1 is becoming too big a joke as it is without this happening.

Yeah. If they're serious businessmen (going by their past records, they've become successful through their ventures), they'd not put Lance in 1 of the seats. What's the point of investing good when 1 driver won't deliver a good output. Infact, if they stick with Checo & Ocon, I see the team being best of the rest atleast as I'm expecting a good funding to this team from the consortium's pockets!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Yeah. If they're serious businessmen (going by their past records, they've become successful through their ventures), they'd not put Lance in 1 of the seats. What's the point of investing good when 1 driver won't deliver a good output. Infact, if they stick with Checo & Ocon, I see the team being best of the rest atleast as I'm expecting a good funding to this team from the consortium's pockets!

Oh there's no doubt in my mind that Lance will be one of the drivers in 2019. I think that's as much as certainty as can be at the moment, but I'm not sure they'll persist with him if he doesn't deliver after a year or 3.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)