planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Hard, Medium and Soft...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 am 

https://www.planetf1.com/news/pirelli-w ... -and-soft/

Doubtless this will lead to cries of 'dumbing down' and 'pandering to the masses', but I think this is actually a good idea. Pirelli are still going to let us know which tyres they are actually bringing but they will simply define them as Hard, Medium and Soft during each weekend. I mean it's kind of ridiculous with this thing they have going now where the three tyres are Super Soft, Hyper Soft, and Ultra-mega-uber Soft, it's meaningless... the names they give them mean nothing to anybody outside F1, since nobody really has a clue how 'soft' they actually are and this years 'Hard' can be last year's 'Medium' and vice versa.

And it doesn't actually matter that what is the Hard tyre at Monaco isn't the same as the Hard tyre at Spa, the people who need to know that - geeks on internet forums will be given that info - and the casual viewer won't have to wonder if Megasoft or Ultrasoft or Hypersoft is actually the softest.

Go on, tell me why it's a terrible idea...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 am 

yeah it's something that's been mooted on here a while back. It's a lot easier to follow for most. Don't know why it's taken them this long, tbh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 am 

I've been saying this for a few years, those who want to know still can and casual viewers will know what's going on

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:57 am 

just like remembering your pin number, i dont get how it's hard for people to understand 8 different tyres.

you get told which ones are on offer the race weekend, and then you do the conversation in your head of "oh so that's the soft version, medium version and hard version".

If this is hard to compute, even for the casual fan, then I think you have bigger issues to worry about such as your application of common sense and ability to take in information.

as you see, I have no sympathy lol

Grand Prixs on bucket list...
Canada * Mexico * Japan * Germany *

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 am 

I still think that the teams should be able to select which rubbers they want to use rather than what Pirelli wants to bring in each GP.

But yeah, I agree with the OP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:11 am 

The problem is how much more ridiculous forum arguments will become. One poster will consistently use the hard, medium, and soft regardless of track as what’s been announced. Another will use the actual compound names. And a third will use them both interchangeably. Others will miss the point all together or not realize this change was made until 3 seasons down the road.

P1: “Well of course Team A did better than Team B in the middle stints at Track Z and Track Y. They were using the Medium tire.”

P2: “Ah, but at Track Z the Medium was actually the Super Soft, while at Track Y the Medium was indeed the Medium.”

P3: “Well when the Medium is actually the Medium they’ve always been better on the Medium. But when the Medium is softer than the Medium that’s not always the case. They did alright at Track X when the Medium was the Ultra Soft, but not so well at a Track W when it was the Soft so maybe it’s only when the Ultra is the Medium that they do well on it.”

P4: “Look. It doesn’t matter what the compound is, as long as it’s the Medium tire Team A is gonna be good on it because they’ve always been good on the Medium tire.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:27 am 

So one race the medium might be the hard tyre, the soft will be the medium and the ultra soft will be the soft. Then the next race the hard will be the hard, the super soft will be the medium and the ultra soft will be the soft. Then the next race the soft will be the hard, the ultra soft will be the medium and the hyper soft will be the soft.

Not confusing for the novice at all :? :?

Dear lord in heaven give me strength.

Why the hell not just call the hyper soft tyre the A compound and work up to the G compounds for the super hard and leave it at that?

Simple, easy, BS free.

There's too many compounds in the sport anyway. get rid of 3 I reckon.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:30 am 

olly-44 wrote:
just like remembering your pin number, i dont get how it's hard for people to understand 8 different tyres.

you get told which ones are on offer the race weekend, and then you do the conversation in your head of "oh so that's the soft version, medium version and hard version".

If this is hard to compute, even for the casual fan, then I think you have bigger issues to worry about such as your application of common sense and ability to take in information.

It's not about what's possible, it's about what is easy for people to remember. Sometimes I can't remember which tyres they have available so when somebody says they are on the Soft I will know immediately what the situation is. And it's not that hard to get confused about which one is harder between the ultrasofts and the hypersofts, for example.

Can't really see any negatives for this, tbh. The die hard fan or data geek will know the difference anyway, because they are very intimately involved in it all. Nobody loses

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:33 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
So one race the medium might be the hard tyre, the soft will be the medium and the ultra soft will be the soft. Then the next race the hard will be the hard, the super soft will be the medium and the ultra soft will be the soft. Then the next race the soft will be the hard, the ultra soft will be the medium and the hyper soft will be the soft.

Why the hell not just call the hyper soft tyre the A compound and work up to the G compounds for the super hard and leave it at that?

Simple, easy, BS free.

The novice is hardly likely to be comparing compounds between races, are they? I don't even do it and I'd hardly consider myself a novice, having followed the sport for the best part of 40 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:42 am 

Zoue wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Simple, easy, BS free.

The novice is hardly likely to be comparing compounds between races, are they? I don't even do it and I'd hardly consider myself a novice, having followed the sport for the best part of 40 years.

Ok so hold on. Maybe I didn't read the article right.

Are Pirelli saying that no matter what compound tyre they have at a race, the hardest compound will be coloured, lets say red, the mediums blue and the soft white?

Is that right? If so then yeah, I can see the merit in that idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:59 am 

Zoue wrote:
olly-44 wrote:

It's not about what's possible, it's about what is easy for people to remember. Sometimes I can't remember which tyres they have available so when somebody says they are on the Soft I will know immediately what the situation is. And it's not that hard to get confused about which one is harder between the ultrasofts and the hypersofts, for example.

Can't really see any negatives for this, tbh. The die hard fan or data geek will know the difference anyway, because they are very intimately involved in it all. Nobody loses

You have too much faith in peoples ability to keep things straight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:26 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Simple, easy, BS free.

Ok so hold on. Maybe I didn't read the article right.

Are Pirelli saying that no matter what compound tyre they have at a race, the hardest compound will be coloured, lets say red, the mediums blue and the soft white?

Is that right? If so then yeah, I can see the merit in that idea.

Yep only three colours for the whole season!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:17 pm 

I suggested this at the beginning of the year. So I'm pleased.

All they need to do now is when referring to the actual 'hardness' of the type, for those that care, is to not use the names we've becoming used to. Label them A-H, or 1-8 or something. That avoids any confusion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:24 pm 

Zoue wrote:
olly-44 wrote:

I'm gonna say this in the nicest way possible, as I don't want to come across in a [confrontational] way, but you should really be paying attention to either the commentator or graphics that come up before and during each qualifying or race...as they clearly state which tyres are available.

I'm not fully against them simplifying the process but at the same time, I really cannot see how it can be that hard...learning 8 different tyres in order and having to know only 3 for a race weekend.

Like I said, I'm not saying this in a harsh way. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Mod Titanium on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Language edit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:37 pm 

olly-44 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
olly-44 wrote:

I'm gonna say this in the nicest way possible, as I don't want to come across in a [confrontational] way, but you should really be paying attention to either the commentator or graphics that come up before and during each qualifying or race...as they clearly state which tyres are available.

I'm not fully against them simplifying the process but at the same time, I really cannot see how it can be that hard...learning 8 different tyres in order and having to know only 3 for a race weekend.

That's assuming you caught the 30 seconds at the beginning of the race. It's good for you that you manage to retain all that information. Your signature implies you've been around a while - maybe spare a thought for the potential new watcher who doesn't understand the difference between Hyper-Soft, Ultra=Soft and Super-Soft.

I don't see why you're finding it difficult to understand the benefits for others.

Last edited by Mod Titanium on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Content edit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:45 pm 

It's a good idea and I've been in favor of this for a long time. It will remove confusion for the casual viewers, with regarding things like:
- the soft compound is the hardest available this weekend
(=> casual viewer: "whaaaa?")
- driver A is running the ultrasoft tyre. His next stint will have to be the hypersoft tyre
(=> casual viewer: "I have no idea which is softer")

We'll just continue to discuss as normal here. Might indeed help if they label it A-G or something, so that it is immediately apparent what people are talking about and there can be no confusion with soft/medium/hard labels.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:38 pm 

I think this is a sensible move. The idea of having a super-soft, an ultra-soft and a hyper-soft looks simply ludicrous to the casual observer. Though in general I think they have too many compounds with not enough of a difference between them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:18 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
The cynic in me feels that this has a lot to do with Pirelli trying to show off more coloured tyres to promote their coloured road tyre range.

I too am in the boat that thinks that every race should have a Soft, Medium and Hard tyre and that the differing softness of the compounds between each race should be a behind the scenes thing. That way they could probably tailor the tyres to each circuit that they bring. More artificial? Maybe, but if its done behind the scenes then it's not really that big a deal.

Posted that in the pre season 'rainbow tyres' topic, and i'm still in agreement. I don't think we really need to know the relative 'hardness' of the tyres either, as long as they are 3 obvious steps different from each other than does it really matter how hard or soft they are compared to tyres used at another track?

That said, if you start letting Pirelli tailor tyres to each circuit, the tinfoil hat brigade will soon be out screaming about tyres tailored for particular teams too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:23 pm 
Inappropriate post removed

Last edited by Mod Titanium on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mod edit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:59 am 

Indycar has done this for years. They have two choices each race that they call the Primary and the Alternate, or sometimes called the Prime and Option by the commentators. These are of course not the same compounds from track to track.

Seeing as how F1 only allows three different compounds at each race I don't see the problem with calling them Hard, Medium, & Soft. Giving a durometer number or other designation would allow the geeks the ability to compare from track to track. Calling them Hard, Medium, or Soft does everything necessary for most fans to tell relative traction from one driver or team to another.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:22 am 

Inappropriate post removed

Nothin better than a bottle of plonk to assist with clarity of thought :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Mod Titanium on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Content edit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 am 

Can't believe it's taken this long to bring up this one. It was obviously the way to go when they started adding a couple of new compounds every year.

I preferred it with Bridgestone when there were the unmarked tyre and the tyre with the white ring. That was as simple as simple could be.

Though now we'll have to listen to Crofty explaining to us that the soft isn't actually the soft, but is in fact a different compound.

I really don't see the value in them bringing three compounds every race. The hardest so rarely gets used it's just another bit of useless information to throw at the audience, only to remind them that in all likelihood it won't be used during qualifying or the race.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:57 am 

Toby. wrote:
The hardest so rarely gets used it's just another bit of useless information to throw at the audience, only to remind them that in all likelihood it won't be used during qualifying or the race.

This is not really true. It provides more options for strategy for one. And secondly, the hardest isn't really "rarely" used. Quick overview:
- Australia: soft tyre was the preferred tyre for the second stint
- Bahrain: half of the drivers fitted the medium tyre
- China: medium tyre used by almost all drivers
- Azerbaijan: soft tyre used by almost all drivers
- Spain: medium tyre used by over half of the drivers
- Canada: super soft was preferred tyre for the second stint (all of them used it)
- France: soft tyre used by over half of the drivers
- Austria: soft tyre used by all drivers

It's really only the British GP that is the outlier in that the hardest compound (the hard, in this case) was only fitted by 2 drivers, Hulkenberg and Sainz, and Hulkenberg actually got a great result out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 am 

Just did some stats on it :]

Total number of race laps per compound up until and including Great-Britain:
  • Hyper soft: 451
  • Ultra soft: 2008
  • Super soft: 2846
  • Soft: 3596
  • Medium: 1677
  • Hard: 47
  • Super hard: 0

Total number of race laps distributed by softest/middle/hardest compound per race:
  • Softest: 2540
  • Middle: 3464
  • Hardest: 4621

So actually the hardest option is generally the compound favoured most during a race. And by some distance too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:51 am 

mds wrote:
Just did some stats on it :]

Total number of race laps per compound up until and including Great-Britain:
  • Hyper soft: 451
  • Ultra soft: 2008
  • Super soft: 2846
  • Soft: 3596
  • Medium: 1677
  • Hard: 47
  • Super hard: 0

Total number of race laps distributed by softest/middle/hardest compound per race:
  • Softest: 2540
  • Middle: 3464
  • Hardest: 4621

So actually the hardest option is generally the compound favoured most during a race. And by some distance too.

Interesting :thumbup: what's the point of the super hard? I imagine it won't be used all year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:34 pm 

JN23 wrote:

Interesting :thumbup: what's the point of the super hard? I imagine it won't be used all year.

It will almost certainly not be used. Pirelli had this to say about the super hard:

Quote:
"Quite simply, it's our insurance," Pirelli boss Mario Isola told Speed Week.

"Basically, we assume we will never use the super hard tyre. But it's still difficult for us to assess how quickly these new cars will be developed, and whether some corners could become critical."

"The hard tyre is enough on the circuits that put the tyres through a lot, but according to the regulations we may add another compound during the season. It's better to be safe than sorry," Isola added.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:47 pm 

Herb wrote:
olly-44 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
olly-44 wrote:

That's assuming you caught the 30 seconds at the beginning of the race. It's good for you that you manage to retain all that information. Your signature implies you've been around a while - maybe spare a thought for the potential new watcher who doesn't understand the difference between Hyper-Soft, Ultra=Soft and Super-Soft.

I don't see why you're finding it difficult to understand the benefits for others.

Maybe I am being harsh and I do agree that it'll help others to understand more so, hence saying "I'm not fully against them simplifying the process"...but it just baffles me how the average human being cannot comprehend a number of tyres and their order.

Then again, I think we live in a day and age where attention spans and patience are smaller than ever before (personally think that this has come about through the use of social media, particularly Twitter, where information is fed to you in short bursts so you don't have to use much brain power to think)...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:05 pm 

I don't care how hard or soft the rubber is, I think there is a big issue whereby tyres are deciding who wins a race or whether or not they can push. I mean, the teams and drivers all have the same choices so what does it matter. And I agree, the audience should be capable of paying attention and knowing which is which. Why don't they just number them, 1 is softest and 20 is hardest, and be done with it. This week, at Silverstone they can choose from a #3 a #9 and a #17.

Let's just decide and get on with it. (btw, I see a number of removed posts, all I can say is "ha ha ha ha ha" )

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:53 am 

I think people in this forum need to remember that we represent a very small minority among F1 fans... The fanatic fan. The vast majority of F1 fans do not understand umpteen variations of tires/tyres... The can, however, understand soft, medium & hard tire compounds. This is probably a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:12 am 

Thanks for correcting me, mds. :thumbup: Good stats. I think what I was really thinking was the hard compound (and super hard, as you explained) seemed unnecessary compounds. The insurance point makes sense though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:47 am 

I think this is a good idea.

I certainly don't have a problem with complexity, and I would very much like to think that the average viewer can indeed keep track of more than three tyre compounds at once... but the whole parade of new compounds with ever-inflated superlatives are something I would like to see end. Soft, Medium, and Hard is reasonable enough. They wouldn't have to be the exact same thing for every track, nor I think would there necessarily be an assumption that they would be; I don't think that "all of the tyres on offer at Canada are softer than the ones on offer at Britain" would be difficult to grasp without them having different names.

Now all they need to do is get the mixture of compounds right so that there really are multiple equally viable strategies... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:28 am 

Toby. wrote:
Thanks for correcting me, mds. :thumbup: Good stats. I think what I was really thinking was the hard compound (and super hard, as you explained) seemed unnecessary compounds. The insurance point makes sense though.

Yes no doubt the hard tyre is of very limited use and we won't see the superhard at all.

Some more interesting counts...

Amount of racing laps per compound:
– hyper soft: 451
– ultra soft: 2008
– super soft: 2846
– soft: 3596
– medium: 1677
– hard: 47

Amount of races a compound was the preferred race tyre (vs was available during a weekend):
– hyper soft: 0/2
– ultra soft: 1/7
– super soft: 4/8
– soft: 4/8
– medium: 1/4
– hard: 0/1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:24 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
The problem is how much more ridiculous forum arguments will become.

Yeah that is a BIG problem... x(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:26 pm 

Ah for the good old days when you could use the hard, medium and soft - all at once!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:34 pm 

ALESI wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

Hey, try walking in our shoes for a weekend...

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:38 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
ALESI wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

x2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:56 am 

Mod Titanium wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
ALESI wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

x2

x3

I remember those days!!!

;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:59 am 

As far as I am concerned, use Hard, Medium, and Soft for all the broadcasts and make sure to publish each weekend the durometer readings at a give temperature. I can sort the rest out myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:02 am 

Jezza13 wrote:

Simple, easy, BS free.

Couldn't agree more with this and raggedman. Agree that comparing race to race will be a nightmare, but really isn't the scenario in race 1 bad enough on its own unless they rename the actual compounds....how long till we have commentators explain the drivers are on the medium and soft while the graphics say they are actually on the hard and the medium. Clear as day for a casual viewer watching his first race of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:38 am 

WHoff78 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Simple, easy, BS free.

Couldn't agree more with this and raggedman. Agree that comparing race to race will be a nightmare, but really isn't the scenario in race 1 bad enough on its own unless they rename the actual compounds....how long till we have commentators explain the drivers are on the medium and soft while the graphics say they are actually on the hard and the medium. Clear as day for a casual viewer watching his first race of the season.

That’s down to the commentators playing games, then. There’s absolutely nothing confusing about calling the compounds hard, medium and soft each race weekend. It’s pretty straightforward, really