planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Bottas vs Raikkonen
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:53 pm 

Ferrari had to stretch the first stint in China to be able to 1 stop, its why they left Vettel out posting poor times on clearly shot tyre. Mercedes with superior tyre life, especially on the medium and were able to force there had and make them cover them. Even if Bottas didn't undercut Vettel he was in a good position to attack him at the end with better tyres.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:40 pm 

Bottas is likely the de-facto number 2 in his new contract. He got his contract renewed the day after Lewis got his contract renewed. Bottas is also not allowed to challenge Hamilton even when he has fresher tyres.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:55 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
Bottas is likely the de-facto number 2 in his new contract. He got his contract renewed the day after Lewis got his contract renewed. Bottas is also not allowed to challenge Hamilton even when he has fresher tyres.

Do you not think after what happened in Austria and finding themselves in a 1-2 situation in Germany which I'm sure many did not expect it was just easier to bring the cars home?

Everyone knows Kimi and Bottas are number 2 anyway, it's not like we need confirmation.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:15 pm 

Kimi on his fifth straight podium....two stop strategy, slow first pit stop and still managed to overtake Bottas...
Bottas - from hero to zero in two laps...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:18 pm 

greatestF1mindever wrote:
Kimi on his fifth straight podium....two stop strategy, slow first pit stop and still managed to overtake Bottas...
Bottas - from hero to zero in two laps...

Kimi had a faster car and faster strategy TBF.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:26 pm 

Still maintain Kimi is the better driver, today proved that, as Bottas is not going to be on any teams radar after Mercedes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:33 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Still maintain Kimi is the better driver, today proved that, as Bottas is not going to be on any teams radar after Mercedes.

Bottas was the better driver after Silverstone though :lol:

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:45 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:

It's not a race by race basis, Raikkonen is at the end of his career, Bottas is going to the prime of his.

No team out there will look at him as a team leader in future.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:48 pm 

Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:

It's not a race by race basis, Raikkonen is at the end of his career, Bottas is going to the prime of his.

Bottas is the better driver at the moment. Kimi's peak was higher but that's over a decade ago now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:59 pm 

Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:

You are not in charge of teams. You don't know for certain if they won't do this. You can say it is very unlikely if you like, but you can't know what certainly will or won't happen. I myself think it is very unlikely, but I never say that certain things will happen, as we are not the teams!.
Given Bottas has certainly looked better this year than the last, there is still a chance he could repeat this again next year and be better still.

Your first statement saying Kimi is the better driver is pointless at the moment. You can say Bottas was the better driver many many years ago than Bottas currently is. But now, Bottas is clearly a level above him. This race could have gone differently if Bottas had done the identical strategy as Kimi did. Kimi's 2nd stop clearly did help him out when comparing his race to Bottas's. His race was better than Bottas's today, but we can't conclude kimi is the better driver based on today at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:04 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:

You are not in charge of teams. You don't know for certain if they won't do this. You can say it is very unlikely if you like, but you can't know what certainly will or won't happen. I myself think it is very unlikely, but I never say that certain things will happen, as we are not the teams!.
Given Bottas has certainly looked better this year than the last, there is still a chance he could repeat this again next year and be better still.

Your first statement saying Kimi is the better driver is pointless at the moment. You can say Bottas was the better driver many many years ago than Bottas currently is. But now, Bottas is clearly a level above him. This race could have gone differently if Bottas had done the identical strategy as Kimi did. Kimi's 2nd stop clearly did help him out when comparing his race to Bottas's. His race was better than Bottas's today, but we can't conclude kimi is the better driver based on today at all.

When I gave my opinion, I didn't realise I had to own a team to give it.

Also at this stage in his career he has not shown anything that makes me look at him and think he's going to be a WDC in future with the talent in the field right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:42 pm 

Rockie wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:

When I gave my opinion, I didn't realise I had to own a team to give it.

Also at this stage in his career he has not shown anything that makes me look at him and think he's going to be a WDC in future with the talent in the field right now.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, it is just it sometimes looks like you are stating facts that are 100% certain. An opinion for your sentence regarding teams looking out for Bottas would surely be more like. "I very much doubt that any other team will look at him as a team leader in the future" Rather than making it seem like a fact that has already been confirmed.

I'm not telling you how to write things, I'm just saying that as they look like they do, that is why I commented in the way i did.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:56 pm 

Bottas hasn’t shown enough to be a team leader. I could not see Bottas beating Vettel to this title or any title were the cars are this close.

Bottas head to head with Vettel is 7-2 in Vettels favours. Hamiltons with Vettel is 5-5. If the packages are equal, Vettel will beat him over a season quite comfortably.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:40 pm 

Recent performances continue to convince me that these two drivers are very close indeed.