planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:23 pm 

JN23 wrote:
AravJ wrote:
Another poor call from Merc not to pit Bottas. They could have had 2nd and 3rd at worst in this race.
Or did they sacrifice Bottas
Either way they can't complain on losing championship points to Ferrari

Did they not have to do something different to try and win the race though? Bottas probably wasn't going to overtake Vettel if he pitted as well, so they gambled on him being able to keep Vettel behind on older and slower tyres.

At the time I thought they got it wrong with Bottas, but I think they probably did the right thing in hindsight.

Yeah don't have a problem with them deciding not to pit this time. They took a gamble for the race win and lost instead of settling for a p2.

Interesting though that Toto was praising Ferrari for not swapping the drivers last weekend and saying that it would be harsh at this point in the championship battle, but then here he does exactly that.

MasterRacer wrote:
Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff, speaking to Sky Sports: "It was an amazing recovery from Lewis. That was the maximum damage limitation we could have achieved.

"Racing incident. It was unfortunate, it is the second time we got taken out, a lot of construction points. To word it in James Allison’s words, ‘do you think it is deliberate or incompetence?’ And that is where it leaves us with a judgement.

"I am not happy. We had a difficult weekend, qualifying on pole and then getting take out on lap one, it puts you on the back foot."

Yes, is it deliberate or incompetence - a justified question. In Baku '17 it was first incompetence than deliberate. IMO, France '18 was clearly incompetence. Today, IMO, was probably incompetence as well. Or is Ŕäikkönen still in contract negotiations with Ferrari and needed some points in his favour? :lol:

Caserole of Nonsense wrote:
ohwell wrote:
Did anyone catch what Kimi said right after the race ? Something about him trying his best but it not being good enough? He didn't look too happy obviously but seems like there's more to it than just the penalty. I think he drove brilliantly today except for the unfortunate incident.

lost his drive methinks.

Which is a shame. He made some superb overtakes today. Vintage Kimi.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:24 pm 

kleefton wrote:
JN23 wrote:
AravJ wrote:
Another poor call from Merc not to pit Bottas. They could have had 2nd and 3rd at worst in this race.

Did they not have to do something different to try and win the race though? Bottas probably wasn't going to overtake Vettel if he pitted as well, so they gambled on him being able to keep Vettel behind on older and slower tyres.

At the time I thought they got it wrong with Bottas, but I think they probably did the right thing in hindsight.

Yeah don't have a problem with them deciding not to pit this time. They took a gamble for the race win and lost instead of settling for a p2.

Interesting though that Toto was praising Ferrari for not swapping the drivers last weekend and saying that it would be harsh at this point in the championship battle, but then here he does exactly that.

It looked like Bottas defended Hamilton's overtake though. I think Hamilton would have got past regardless, as Bottas' tyres were pretty much gone compared to Hamilton's.

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Hamilton did have some bad luck this race, but if anything, I can say Bottas was possibly as unlucky given the circumstances near the end. Given Hamilton had pitted later than Bottas and was running in clean air, leaving him out made sence. But why didn't they pit Bottas? He has been running reasonably close to Vettel and new tyres surely will have got him higher than 4th. There have been 4 occations where Bottas has made a perfect safety car restart this year while leading the race and he's lost out in the race in the end due to nothing of his own doing.

It was such a shame to see Bottas loose out like he did in China. He did some brillient defending. Kept thinking Vettel would get through, but Bottas didn't allow this for ages. I guess him defending hard will have cost him a bit, but I don't know if it will have got him a better result if he didn't try at all. Bottas racing and defending really lookes to have improved a lot this year.

Bottas did look very similar pace wise to Hamilton today and had a far better start. Even without the safety car, we can't be sure if Hamilton will have found a way past Bottas if they were on a similar strategy. They are both in the same car and even if Hamilton was quicker, without team orders, he would have struggled to get past Bottas.

I thought that when the 2nd safety car came out that Bottas had finaly had some good fortune and would be able to save his tyres a bit more. But in the end, this risk has put Bottas lower then he could have finished yet again. He just hasn't had any good fortune this year and had had a rediculous amount of bad luck.

i think even people who are not a fan of Bottas will be able to say that basically half the races this year, Bottas has been as good or better than Hamilton. They have looked pretty even overall. Even qualifying has been pretty tight at times. I just hope Bottas will get what he deserves given his performance. A new contract with the team. Looking at his points in the championchip continue to drop relative to Hamilton and Vettel and even Kimi just isn't a good way to look at his season.

Bottas has had some rotten luck this year, but I don't think that was the case today. His tyres were only four laps older than Hamilton's and I don't think that alone is enough to explain his lack of pace in the closing stages. One could also make the point that it was luck that put him ahead of Vettel in the first place.

kleefton wrote:
JN23 wrote:
AravJ wrote:

I'm not convinced he did. Looking at the pass Bottas didn't make it easy for Vettel. I just think his tyres were giving up but I don't think he "let" Hamilton get past him

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:25 pm 

I'm sure some of the 'sabotage' comments in this thread will age really well come end-of-season.

And I though Alonso fans were a bit difficult but Hamilton fans take the cake!

Kimi admitted to his mistake, but Hamilton put himself at risk due to a bad start. Not staying for the interview was bad form, as was his negativity during the race as evidenced by his Radio calls. I always followed Hamilton but he is getting on my nerves, a bit a weak emotionaly and needs to be babied to keep in in the right state of mind. When compared to Alonso, where Alonso has a strong mind and will get his way and run his mouth, Hamilton needs to be told and caresed just to stay racing, the mental part from Alonso to Ham is so different! Im getting a bit frustrated with Ham to the point that makes Alonso more bareable. Cant understand how some justify Hamilton, fan or not, the dude needs to man up a little.

Bottas had a chance but he made a few mistakes, Kimi drove well and got what was deserved, he finished behind Hamilton and that is fair, I do not think Hamilton would have won either way, Vettel was too fast today.

kleefton wrote:
JN23 wrote:
AravJ wrote:

What makes you think Mercedes swapped the cars over via a team order? Looked like a genuine pass to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:26 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Wolff basically putting it out there the idea it might be deliberate from Ferrari

What a bunch of sour losers

Especially when they had no new soft tires to put on the car to give Lewis something to fight on.......

Who was responsible for that decision?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:28 pm 

F1nut wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Wolff basically putting it out there the idea it might be deliberate from Ferrari

What a bunch of sour losers

Especially when they had no new soft tires to put on the car to give Lewis something to fight on.......

Who was responsible for that decision?

I could be wrong here but Hamilton went out on a new set at the end of Q2 I think but didn't do a fast lap. They will be classed as 'used' won't they, even though they are pretty much brand new?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:31 pm 

The suggestion that it may have been deliberate is pretty absurd. Coming from a driver still hot from a dramatic race is kind of understandable. But not from a team principal. If Kimi was that desperate to play the team game, he'd have let Vettel by in Austria.

It was though a bad bad error from Raikkonen. Not one you expect from such an experienced frontline driver. Evem if his pace was solid afterwards, I think it proves that Ferrari have made the right decision if the Leclerc thing is true.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:33 pm 

Finally a good one
Merc can dish it out but sure can't take it.
I think the 10 sec was a bit severe - Not sure if Ham could have kept Kimi behind with out the touch.
But penalty happy F1 seems the way for now.
Had enough of safety cars also - they should look into aggregate time like moto gp.
Overall though best race of the season so far.
2 go cart tracks a break and then a couple of real ones.
Brundle is the best they can do??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:33 pm 

5 people banned since the lights went out. Can we keep it civil please guys?

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:43 pm 

ohwell wrote:
Caserole of Nonsense wrote:
ohwell wrote:
Did anyone catch what Kimi said right after the race ? Something about him trying his best but it not being good enough? He didn't look too happy obviously but seems like there's more to it than just the penalty. I think he drove brilliantly today except for the unfortunate incident.

lost his drive methinks.

Which is a shame. He made some superb overtakes today. Vintage Kimi.

Can you guys elaborate!
What makes you think this way based on this race?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:44 pm 

I always watch live timing on my iPad during the race and come here to scroll through the race thread afterward. Looks like I missed a lot of action around page 6 this time.

I have to doff my cap at those who made posts that didn’t get deleted. I fully expected to see at least a few posts accusing Kimi of hitting Hamilton on purpose while hearing a more “that’s racing” attitude from Mercedes. Instead it’s the opposite.

It’s truly a crazy world these days.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:48 pm 

Brilliant race to watch today and fair play to Kimi for holding his hands up, admitting his error and accepting the penalty. A tad rude from Hamilton to avoid Martin Brundle immediately after getting out of the car however upon being allowed to collect his thoughts, he was interviewed on the podium which turned out better for everybody as more people could actually see him during the interview.

Regarding the Merc's strategy to stay out, usually it's pretty clear that it bites them in the butt however today it wasn't so clear. I'd agree with Christian Horner who said during the race that he'd have left Hamilton out but pitted Bottas for fresh tyres during the safety car. Bottas would likely have finished second, and Hamilton may or may not have been able to hold Raikkonen off for third.

MasterRacer wrote:
He didn't pass any competitive cars on the track all afternoon, but he definitely would have beaten Seb. It's obvious :D

With all due respect, you always constantly detract from whatever Hamilton does. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion like everybody else but really? * rolls eyes*

Considering how hard Bottas defended against Hamilton's overtake, it looked like a genuine pass as opposed to an orchestrated team pass, but each to their own.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:49 pm 

j man wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Hamilton did have some bad luck this race, but if anything, I can say Bottas was possibly as unlucky given the circumstances near the end. Given Hamilton had pitted later than Bottas and was running in clean air, leaving him out made sence. But why didn't they pit Bottas? He has been running reasonably close to Vettel and new tyres surely will have got him higher than 4th. There have been 4 occations where Bottas has made a perfect safety car restart this year while leading the race and he's lost out in the race in the end due to nothing of his own doing.

It was such a shame to see Bottas loose out like he did in China. He did some brillient defending. Kept thinking Vettel would get through, but Bottas didn't allow this for ages. I guess him defending hard will have cost him a bit, but I don't know if it will have got him a better result if he didn't try at all. Bottas racing and defending really lookes to have improved a lot this year.

Bottas did look very similar pace wise to Hamilton today and had a far better start. Even without the safety car, we can't be sure if Hamilton will have found a way past Bottas if they were on a similar strategy. They are both in the same car and even if Hamilton was quicker, without team orders, he would have struggled to get past Bottas.

I thought that when the 2nd safety car came out that Bottas had finaly had some good fortune and would be able to save his tyres a bit more. But in the end, this risk has put Bottas lower then he could have finished yet again. He just hasn't had any good fortune this year and had had a rediculous amount of bad luck.

i think even people who are not a fan of Bottas will be able to say that basically half the races this year, Bottas has been as good or better than Hamilton. They have looked pretty even overall. Even qualifying has been pretty tight at times. I just hope Bottas will get what he deserves given his performance. A new contract with the team. Looking at his points in the championchip continue to drop relative to Hamilton and Vettel and even Kimi just isn't a good way to look at his season.

Bottas has had some rotten luck this year, but I don't think that was the case today. His tyres were only four laps older than Hamilton's and I don't think that alone is enough to explain his lack of pace in the closing stages. One could also make the point that it was luck that put him ahead of Vettel in the first place.

I don't think it was luck for Bottas that Ferrari decided to pit Vettel. It was what Ferrari decided to do and what Mercedes decided not to do. Bottas will have come out 3rd if he did pit. 2nd if Hamilton did too. That still would likely be better than 4th no? And I think you have missed my point a bit. I pointed out that there wasn't a big difference between Hamilton's and Bottas's tyres. But Bottas was driving in dirty air behind Vettel. Hamilton for most of it was out of that when he was catching the red Bulls. Then the safety car almost undid a fair bit of his bad luck and brought him up with the leaders who he hadn't been having to follow closely before hand. A very clear indication why Hamilton had the advantage over Bottas in the end to me. And Bottas's defending so many times on top of that totally explains his lack of pace. Given Hamilton's bad start and the fact we don't know if Hamilton will have found a way past him under normal circumstances, again, I'm not sure if hamilton had a better race day than Bottas. I certainly see this as another unlucky race for Bottas. 2nd was looking likely until the safety car made that becoming possibly higher, but much more likely a lower position.

I am mainly just comparing Hamilton's and Bottas's day. And to me, Bottas was under much bigger pressure than Hamilton was. This may sound silly, but catching up on this track won't have been hard. Bottas managing to keep Vettel behind for that amount of time and coping with the pressure of having to make a perfect restart twice shows he coped with the pressure really well today. And I am not sure if I could say Hamilton had a better race. Hamilton's start looked poor. Nothing looked poor about Bottas's race to me. You can argue his last few laps i guess, but I think there is a clear enough explanation for why he struggled.

Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:53 pm 

Zoue wrote:
mcdo wrote:
The mind boggles why Merc continually refuse to pit when the SC/VSC is called. Today, at the very very least, they should have split the strategies. The only explanation I can think of is that they were willing to crucify Bottas to allow Hamilton finish as close to Vettel as possible

I doubt that's the case. They took a gamble and failed. Without pitting Bottas would have finished 2nd at best, so they clearly felt that a gamble for the win was worth it

It makes no sense to keep doing what doesn't work. Is this the 3rd race they've blown by not reacting to the SC/VSC? The only other explanation I can think of is sheer incompetence and an unwillingness to learn from their mistakes

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:53 pm 

This was one heck of a race. Great recovery drive from Hamilton to start things off, followed by Kimi doing similarly on a lesser scale after that 10 second penalty, with some great passing. A real shame that Verstappen spun out, but solid finish for Ricciardo. I thought Mercedes was asking a lot of Bottas' and Hamilton's tyres, but it did pan out for Lewis, so they were not altogether wrong in that decision - but tough one for Bottas. Vettel's surprise overtake was a great winning move - putting an exclamation mark at the end of what was a very exciting race. Great stuff! :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:54 pm 

Hamilton was too bad in the first lap and I think he ran little wide as well, more than usual so Kimi thought he could have had him. It was a racing incident but Hamilton could have avoided that if he din't have such a bad first lap. In the end it was a good race. I think Bottas was scarified. He was doing a good job. I thought they both were going to crash.

Last edited by Mercedes-Benz on Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:55 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mcdo wrote:
The mind boggles why Merc continually refuse to pit when the SC/VSC is called. Today, at the very very least, they should have split the strategies. The only explanation I can think of is that they were willing to crucify Bottas to allow Hamilton finish as close to Vettel as possible

I doubt that's the case. They took a gamble and failed. Without pitting Bottas would have finished 2nd at best, so they clearly felt that a gamble for the win was worth it

It makes no sense to keep doing what doesn't work. Is this the 3rd race they've blown by not reacting to the SC/VSC? The only other explanation I can think of is sheer incompetence and an unwillingness to learn from their mistakes

It was worth a shot today. Not pitting Bottas was probably their only chance to win. Considering Bottas position in the championship it was worth the risk.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:57 pm 

two pretty interesting races in a row. nice to see this ferrari/mercedes battle

kimi has never been a dirty driver and, to me, the insinuations by mercedes were totally uneccesary. it is the norm now when there is contact, but i would rather see less penalties. nearly no penalties really

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:58 pm 

Good strategy from Mercedes, if there is one thing I hate is hindsight warriors.

If they pitted Bottas he would have finished P2 probably 90% certainty of that. If they also pitted Hamilton, he would be 5th and on the same aged tyres as Verstappen and Raikkonen and behind both. He likely would have passed Verstappen, but I can't see Hamilton overtaking Raikkonen. So probably 2nd,4th overall.

With what they did, they gave an opportunity to finish 1st, 3rd with a worst case scenario of 2nd, 4th which was the best case outcome of pitting.

You are foolish not to gamble. If they pitted Bottas they had 0% chance to win, by pitting him they at least had 20-30% chance. It didn't work out this time, but on plenty of other occasions it will. They also told Bottas, do the opposite to Vettel - because you obtain a chance to win. You do the same, you lose.

Last edited by Johnson on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:59 pm 

On a side note, it's getting a bit annoying the way they broadcast Hamilton and Kimi's random radio messages regardless of whether they are meaningful. The directors are basically trying to spin a drama. We need more balanced radio coverage without having 50% of the radio be Hamilton.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:04 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mcdo wrote:

It was worth a shot today. Not pitting Bottas was probably their only chance to win. Considering Bottas position in the championship it was worth the risk.

I just don't see old mediums vs fresh softs being worth the risk. It was immediately clear that it wasn't the right call. The 2nd SC was the only thing that bought them more time. I can't help but feel 2nd & 3rd was the worst they should have walked away with today.

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:06 pm 

Hamilton and Wolf are officially sore losers.

"Interesting tactics from this side," says Hamilton after Raikkonen shunt. Wolff adds: "This is either deliberate or incompetence" from http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... th-ferrari

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:10 pm 

j man wrote:
kleefton wrote:
JN23 wrote:
AravJ wrote:

What makes you think Mercedes swapped the cars over via a team order? Looked like a genuine pass to me.

You know what, after reviewing it, it looked like a genuine pass, but Bottas definitely didn't defend the way he did against Raikonnen or Vettel, perhaps not wanting to hold up Lewis. So yeah probably not a team order. My bad.

But when Toto was asked about it in the interviews he completely dodged the question, which led me to believe that he may have orchestrated it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:10 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Hamilton and Wolf are officially sore losers.

"Interesting tactics from this side," says Hamilton after Raikkonen shunt. Wolff adds: "This is either deliberate or incompetence" from http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... th-ferrari

Hamilton is. What Wolff said is hardly controversial. The stewards think It's incompetence, hence the penalties.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:11 pm 

On the Merc tire debate, they have the second SC to thank for keeping them competitive at the end. Another 4-5 racing laps and there was a good chance of a Ferrari 1-2.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:25 pm 

I've only seen it once, but it seems Bottas defended Hamilton more than the Ferrari's - pushing him to the grass. This was due to Hamilton being a lot closer on that straight than Vettel was getting. Clearly didn't let him by, he heavily defended.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:30 pm 

zaar wrote:
That was poor form from Lewis to skip the interview. What about his fans?

I couldn't care less about an interview.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:34 pm 

Ocon wrote:
zaar wrote:
That was poor form from Lewis to skip the interview. What about his fans?

I couldn't care less about an interview.

They had to wait at least another 5 minutes for him to be interviewed. The real crime is all those fans who never saw parc ferme interviews 1950-2017, robbed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:38 pm 

I just ask what is wrong with the Ferraris' steering system ? Both last week and this week a Ferrari driver seemingly couldn't turn around a corner properly. I think the FIA engineers should inspect the system to ensure it is fit for purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:47 pm 

Blake wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Blake wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:
Lewis would have won that if not punted off. Even with the bad start.

Given his pace with a damaged car that is absolutely possible. Räikkönen robbed us of a fair duel for the victory. But his team is obviously happy with the gift he gave them. ;)

What damage? Also, Lewis' start put him at risk and behind Seb. There is no guarantee that Lewis would have won without the contact with Kimi.

I wrote "possible" and " duel". How about trying to read before you switch on your Ferrari defense modus?

Damage: the hit of Räikkönen's Ferrari - completely unnecessary ramming into the biggest rival of his team from far behind - has definitely caused some damage. How big is unclear, of course.

:lol:

Again.. What damage? He ran some fastest laps and finished second. Now it is "ramming"... Rather drama queen rhetoric isn't it?

BTW, it is not defense of Ferrari.. Only responding to the nature of your post.
;)

Knowing Hamiltons skill, he could have ran the fastest laps even with a damaged car.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:48 pm 

mcdo wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mcdo wrote:

I just don't see old mediums vs fresh softs being worth the risk. It was immediately clear that it wasn't the right call. The 2nd SC was the only thing that bought them more time. I can't help but feel 2nd & 3rd was the worst they should have walked away with today.

Agree, from the first safety car it looked like a serious mistake. If it were not for the second safety car it could have been a lot worse. Merc got a bit lucky for another botched strategy. They then get frustrated and start making silly accusations

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:50 pm 

Ocon wrote:
Knowing Hamiltons skill, he could have ran the fastest laps even with a damaged car.

Now, that's nothing in comparison to what Chuck Norris can do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:51 pm 

Greenman wrote:
I just ask what is wrong with the Ferraris' steering system ? Both last week and this week a Ferrari driver seemingly couldn't turn around a corner properly. I think the FIA engineers should inspect the system to ensure it is fit for purpose.

Or perhaps the Ferrari engineers should do that in such a case?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:53 pm 

Prema wrote:
Ocon wrote:

Now, that's nothing in comparison to what Chuck Norris can do.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:53 pm 

Greenman wrote:

There's no button on the steering wheel to prevent a tyre locking up!!!!!