planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Mercedes Radio Apology
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:12 pm 

I'm really taken aback that more hasn't been made of Mercedes allowing the chief strategist to self-flagellate so publicly like that on Lewis's radio. I'm angry at Lewis's sulking triggering it, but it is highly beneath Mercedes to have allowed that grovelling apology.

The team should always come first. Apologising to Lewis for the individual damage in the drivers championship diminishes the fact that it more importantly hurt the team in the constructors championship.

Mercedes should be much more hard-nosed. Even if it is multiple time champion Hamilton, they are giving the drivers utilisation of the fastest car, to amass these successes, and they need to keep a climate that reminds drivers the are plenty of others that would jump at the chance to replace them.

Last edited by Mod Blue on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Title Edit - Bashing Attempt Removed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:26 pm 

da4an1qu1 wrote:
I'm really taken aback that more hasn't been made of Mercedes allowing the chief strategist to self-flagellate so publicly like that on Lewis's radio. I'm angry at Lewis's sulking triggering it, but it is highly beneath Mercedes to have allowed that grovelling apology.

The team should always come first. Apologising to Lewis for the individual damage in the drivers championship diminishes the fact that it more importantly hurt the team in the constructors championship.

Mercedes should be much more hard-nosed. Even if it is multiple time champion Hamilton, they are giving the drivers utilisation of the fastest car, to amass these successes, and they need to keep a climate that reminds drivers the are plenty of others that would jump at the chance to replace them.

Translation: "I don't like Lewis Hamilton"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:32 pm 

I was thinking something like this too. There was nothing wrong with the first radio message, someone admitting fault and apologising (I wish more people could do this as opposed to trying to pass blame elsewhere). But the second time we heard him was awful!

I don't know everything that was said over the radio, only what was played to us, but was it really that hard for Hamilton to accept that the situation has happened and to get on with whatever he was capable of achieving out of the situation?

As it turns out, there wasn't much he could do as his car shredded his tyres before giving out on him anyway. But are we really to believe that Hamilton is so unprofessional that he can't just accept a genuine confession and apology of someone who made a mistake in his job and get on with his own? I guess we'll have to read the full radio transcript to get the full picture, but from what the director played for us, it didn't paint Hamilton in the best of lights.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:33 pm 

Whilst Lewis let the drama influence his driving performance, I don’t have a problem with Mercedes apologising.
Let’s switch the roles and assume Lewis was leading and put in the fence, thus losing the race. In that case it’s likely Lewis or any other driver would apologise to the team via radio and in person. This case is really no different.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:36 pm 

Dont really think the first one was a big deal. They made a mistake and race engineer owned up to it. Nothing wrong in that. But the second message felt little odd. But hey, who are we to feel good or bad about it? If they are cool with it, so be it. Its not like it makes any difference to us.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:37 pm 

I wonder so much apology to Hamilton as he's still not presumably signed for Mercedes? Don't want to lose their star driver. I know 1 issue like this is not a deal breaker but can tilt a decision towards an unfavourable one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:57 pm 

I've heard loads of similar apologies before up and down the grid - things just get amplified when you're a front runner in a championship fight, or when people don't like a certain driver :)

But Mercedes should be copping this in my opinion and Hamilton is justified in his anger. Bottas and Hamilton have had their off-weekends, but have not made any serious errors this year. However the season is barely past the quarter way point and Mercedes have dropped 4 strategy clangers because they were either spending too much time staring at numbers and were not using gut racing instinct (Like Red Bull in China), or they were busy trying to second-guess what everyone around them was going to do.

This was the case in Austria when they didn't pit Hamilton because they were thinking 'what if Ferrari split strategy?' instead of running their own race and making sure they were on the right tyres at the right time. Yes a fuel pressure issue did for Hamilton in the end, but I would wager this was caused by over-stressing the car in an attempt to make up ground. I suspect Hamilton had the wick turned up high - The Merc is slippery quick, but it couldn't follow in the dirty air of a lawn mower let alone an f1 car.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:00 pm 

Yes such apologies are quite common, Red Bull paid Daniel Ricciardo his $1 million race win bonus for the 2016 Monaco Grand Prix because they lost him it by not having the tyres ready.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:20 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
da4an1qu1 wrote:

Translation: "I'm on a holy mission to uncover anyone who I think might not like Hamilton"

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:22 pm 

I've often wondered how these teams believe it is right to lose so much time waffling on the radio. If on top of that, the communications are not only distracting, but useless, then one has to wonder why no one in these teams understands this.

Hamilton should understand that none of the communication was going to improve his short-term situation, and that all such comments are far better passed on during the de-brief, behind closed doors. Likewise for the team. While it is fine to say sorry quickly, that should suffice. The race goes on and the points are only attributed after it.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:37 pm 

Unsourced image removed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:18 pm 

Covalent wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
da4an1qu1 wrote:

Translation: "I'm on a holy mission to uncover anyone who I think might not like Hamilton"

Lol no man you're way off. We've seen this type of apology before from other teams with other drivers. It wasn't at all unusual and the OP clearly took exception for personal reasons. We've seen McLaren practically begging Alonso to continue and as others have pointed out, Red Bull and Ferrari have done the same. Not everyone in the forum is some kind of sniveling fanboy, however, I am increasingly annoyed by the pervasive assumption that that is the case.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:31 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
da4an1qu1 wrote:

Lol no man you're way off. We've seen this type of apology before from other teams with other drivers. It wasn't at all unusual and the OP clearly took exception for personal reasons. We've seen McLaren practically begging Alonso to continue and as others have pointed out, Red Bull and Ferrari have done the same. Not everyone in the forum is some kind of sniveling fanboy, however, I am increasingly annoyed by the pervasive assumption that that is the case.

Yet, you initiated this with your post labeling the OP as disliking Lewis in order to invalidate his/her post. Why should you be annoyed?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:40 pm 

From another site here is a selection of the radio traffic.

Hamilton: “Anything I should be aware of?”
Bonnington: “Nothing at the moment. Let’s just target Verstappen’s lap times.”
Bonnington: “VSC, Keep the delta positive.”

Bonnington: “OK Lewis it will be box at the end of this lap if we are still under VSC conditions.”
Hamilton: “Were we supposed to box that lap?”
Bonnington: “Negative, we weren’t. We were just waiting to see what everyone else did.”
Bonnington: “So VSC ending.”
Bonnington: “So staying out.”

Hamilton: “What the hell was that? How did we miss that? I’ve got no tyre left.”

Hamilton: “I’ve got no tyre left, these tyres.”

Vowles: “Lewis, It’s James. I understand. We’re still with you mate. It’s my mistake. But give us what you can. There will be opportunities later.”
Hamilton: “I can hear you guys.”

Hamilton: “Am I fourth now?”

Bonnington: “Affirm Lewis, yeah. Entirely on us that problem.”

Hamilton: “I wanted to say something but…”

Hamilton: “Just leave me to it, Bono.”

Bonnington: “OK Lewis go HPP 5 position 2.”
Hamilton: “Hesitation out of turn nine.”
Bonnington: “Copy.”

Hamilton: “I need this pack to f***ing charge up.”

Bonnington: “OK Lewis we are up at the rear limit on tyre temps.”
Bonnington: “We have seen signs of rear blistering on tyres ahead.”
Hamilton: “So you just want me to settle for fourth, yeah?”
Bonnington: “Affirm.”

Bonnington appears to have misheard him, and then corrects his reply:

Bonnington: “Sorry, just want to settle in place until they recover.”
Bonnington: “Looks like Ricciardo has big blistering. You should be able to see it from where you are.”

Hamilton: “I’m not going to be able to pass these guys. We’ve just thrown away a win.”

Hamilton: “So I back off and now look what’s happening.”
Vowles: “Lewis it’s James. I have thrown the win away today but you have the potential opportunity to get back up. Just let the tyres cool. We trust in you and believe in you. I’m sorry.”
Hamilton: “I’ve got Vettel now on my tail.”

Vettel then passes Hamilton.

Hamilton: “Well, there you go.”

Hamilton: “I’ve got blistering too.”

Hamilton: ”These tyres aren’t going to last at this pace.”

Hamilton: “My rear tyre is de-laminating more and more.”

Bonnington: “OK copy.”

Hamilton: “Is Ricciardo catching us?”
Bonnington: “Ricciardo 8.7 last lap he is hitting a bit of traffic.”
Bonnington: “Ricciardo 1.4 inside our pit window.”

Hamilton: “I don’t know what to say to you guys. These rears are not going to bloody last.”
Bonnington: “OK, we’re on it.”

Bonnington: “Lewis 12 laps to go, Vettel is 22 seconds up the road, we need to think about consolidating.”
Hamilton: “So we turn down?”
Bonnington: “Affirm, that’s my suggestion.”

Hamilton: “How many points am I going to lose?”
Bonnington: “At current pace it will be three points.”

Hamilton: “I’ve lost power.”
Bonnington: “Stop, stop.”

Personally I see Lewis mostly reporting his situation. Yes there are some complaints about the strategy and tire performance. I don't find him berating anyone in particular on the team.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:49 pm 

gregs51 wrote:
I've heard loads of similar apologies before up and down the grid - things just get amplified when you're a front runner in a championship fight, or when people don't like a certain driver :)

But Mercedes should be copping this in my opinion and Hamilton is justified in his anger. Bottas and Hamilton have had their off-weekends, but have not made any serious errors this year. However the season is barely past the quarter way point and Mercedes have dropped 4 strategy clangers because they were either spending too much time staring at numbers and were not using gut racing instinct (Like Red Bull in China), or they were busy trying to second-guess what everyone around them was going to do.

This was the case in Austria when they didn't pit Hamilton because they were thinking 'what if Ferrari split strategy?' instead of running their own race and making sure they were on the right tyres at the right time. Yes a fuel pressure issue did for Hamilton in the end, but I would wager this was caused by over-stressing the car in an attempt to make up ground. I suspect Hamilton had the wick turned up high - The Merc is slippery quick, but it couldn't follow in the dirty air of a lawn mower let alone an f1 car.

well said :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:09 pm 

da4an1qu1 wrote:

Anyone with young children experiencing a temper tantrum understand what Mercedes was trying to accomplish over the radio. It wasn't grovelling. It was calming down a child.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:29 pm 

Blake wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
da4an1qu1 wrote:

Yet, you initiated this with your post labeling the OP as disliking Lewis in order to invalidate his/her post. Why should you be annoyed?

Why should I be annoyed? This is perhaps a more deep and existential question than you intended. I suppose I'm annoyed by the way that the common modus in here (and on the internet in general..and perhaps in society as a whole these days) is to assume that everyone carries a bias and speaks only towards pushing their own agenda such that when someone is not coming from that perspective, they are still treated as though they are.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:01 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:

Bonnington: “OK Lewis it will be box at the end of this lap if we are still under VSC conditions.”
Bonnington: “Negative, we weren’t. We were just waiting to see what everyone else did.”

Hamilton: “What the hell was that? How did we miss that? I’ve got no tyre left.”

Vowles: “Lewis, It’s James. I understand. We’re still with you mate. It’s my mistake. But give us what you can. There will be opportunities later.”

Bonnington: “Looks like Ricciardo has big blistering. You should be able to see it from where you are.”

Hamilton: “I’m not going to be able to pass these guys. We’ve just thrown away a win.”

Vowles: “Lewis it’s James. I have thrown the win away today but you have the potential opportunity to get back up. Just let the tyres cool. We trust in you and believe in you. I’m sorry.”

Hamilton: “I don’t know what to say to you guys. These rears are not going to bloody last.”

Bonnington: “Lewis 12 laps to go, Vettel is 22 seconds up the road, we need to think about consolidating.”

Personally I see Lewis mostly reporting his situation. Yes there are some complaints about the strategy and tire performance. I don't find him berating anyone in particular on the team.

To be fair, nothing there was particularly sulky... and at the end of the day you can't expect him to be happy when he had an easy win in his pocket and lost the lead of the race and the title lead.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:16 pm 

ALESI wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

To be fair, nothing there was particularly sulky... and at the end of the day you can't expect him to be happy when he had an easy win in his pocket and lost the lead of the race and the title lead.

Agreed. I'm also sure there have been WAY more heated messages in the past between car/pit wall. Hamilton does sound annoyed, but who wouldn't be?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:56 pm 

Amateur hour by Mercedes and not the first time this year that would be the third time, so a driver should accept repeated incompetence from the race strategist?

I called it there and then that Mercedes have just lost Hamilton the race, this is quite basic stuff that Mercedes keep getting wrong, anyone can make a mistake but this is not the first time this season and not let's make it as soon as anything goes wrong Hamilton gets stroppy, it's a repeated problem which highlights a Mercedes weakness, any driver would start to question procedures that keep going wrong.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:44 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:

Thank you for posting, provides some much-needed context :thumbup:

I see very little sulking or childishness in Lewis' radio messages here, just a level of frustration that most drivers would express in the same situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:21 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Covalent wrote:

I'm no Hamilton fan, and I think the OP is a pretty blatant Lewis bash.

Personally, I thought it was very mature of the strategist to own up to his mistake on live TV. And it was a major blunder: I (and most other F1 fans) wouldn't have needed 30 seconds to make that decision. The VSC came on pretty close to what Sky was projecting as the pit window - it's a no-brainer to pit.

Hamilton is the sort of driver that needs his energy channeled the right way to perform. They were clearly hoping to get him over the incident by fully clearing it up and refocusing him on the race. It's not clear that it worked, but I don't think driver management is 'grovelling' or 'disgusting'.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:26 pm 

Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Personally, I thought it was very mature of the strategist to own up to his mistake on live TV. And it was a major blunder: I (and most other F1 fans) wouldn't have needed 30 seconds to make that decision. The VSC came on pretty close to what Sky was projecting as the pit window - it's a no-brainer to pit.

Hamilton is the sort of driver that needs his energy channeled the right way to perform. They were clearly hoping to get him over the incident by fully clearing it up and refocusing him on the race. It's not clear that it worked, but I don't think driver management is 'grovelling' or 'disgusting'.

No other team has had the strategist ever come on the radio to apologise.

If Bono his race engineer had done it no problem but for the strategist to come on and actually have to give him a pick me up is just wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:30 pm 

j man wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

I see very little sulking or childishness in Lewis' radio messages here, just a level of frustration that most drivers would express in the same situation.

Not broadcast.

Hamilton: ' I don't know how many are listening in Brixworth and Brackley, but I cannot remember the last time I had a DNF. This team has had the best reliability over the last years, this team has had by far the best car and is by far the best team I have driven for. We need to recover from this but I am in no doubt that we will come back strong.'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:35 pm 

I think its good that they can talk so freely, not just amongst themselves but on radio too.
I know they fluffed up, but I like the way they handled it. No 'just follow orders' or we will sort it later, we have confidence in you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:35 pm 

Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Covalent wrote:

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:38 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
j man wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

Not broadcast.

Hamilton: ' I don't know how many are listening in Brixworth and Brackley, but I cannot remember the last time I had a DNF. This team has had the best reliability over the last years, this team has had by far the best car and is by far the best team I have driven for. We need to recover from this but I am in no doubt that we will come back strong.'

Wow what a petulant child he is :-P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:45 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Covalent wrote:

If Bono his race engineer had done it no problem but for the strategist to come on and actually have to give him a pick me up is just wrong.

Are you sure no other team/driver has had the strategist apologise? Just because things aren't broadcast doesn't mean they haven't happened...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:55 pm 

It's always interesting to actually get the full context of the driver's comments by comparison to the way the media attempts to make them sound. I think we recently had a discussion about this with regards to Alonso's comments and how the media edited them to create a negative perception of him. For Fernando, they want to paint him as a selfish egotistical person. For Lewis they want to portray him as a moody and weak-minded person. It's something I have become more and more aware of. I'm sure the portrayal of Vettel as a hotheaded jerk was also deeply skewed from any sense of balance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:37 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
It's always interesting to actually get the full context of the driver's comments by comparison to the way the media attempts to make them sound. I think we recently had a discussion about this with regards to Alonso's comments and how the media edited them to create a negative perception of him. For Fernando, they want to paint him as a selfish egotistical person. For Lewis they want to portray him as a moody and weak-minded person. It's something I have become more and more aware of. I'm sure the portrayal of Vettel as a hotheaded jerk was also deeply skewed from any sense of balance.

Aye and we literally only needed Seb moaning about blue flags to get the hat-trick of FOM's current favourite narratives.

Alonso sounding fed up and on the verge of quitting. Check
Lewis questioning strategy or some variance of "what's going on guys". Check
RoGro moaning about brakes. Uncheck
Seb moaning about Blue Flags. Uncheck
Kīmi mumbling something about the car. Check
Dan saying something vulgar and/or funny. Uncheck
Max sounding petulant whether he's right or wrong. Check

That's their current 7 favourites imo. We should make a F1 Bingo card with them and some of Ted,Crofty's,Martin's and the rest's most worn out phrases. Might liven up some dull races. :]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:52 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Aye and we literally only needed Seb moaning about blue flags to get the hat-trick of FOM's current favourite narratives.

That's their current 7 favourites imo. We should make a F1 Bingo card with them and some of Ted,Crofty's,Martin's and the rest's most worn out phrases. Might liven up some dull races. :]

Did you know that the extra energy from the battery in an F1 car is enough to power your family saloon car?

Also have you ever considered the similarities between Pirelli tyres and a ball of mozzarella cheese?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:54 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

It's all in the name of "spicing up the show"!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:58 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

It's all in the name of "spicing up the show"!

Is that Liberty speak for dumbing down? Although given the reaction online to a lot of this nonsense, it's just what the majority want.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:17 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:

To be fair he does that himself - I had to cringe when I read those "My LeMans win was on a higher level than the ones in the past" comments. No Fernando, it wasn't - you were in a 2 car race.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:

A new forum game? :]

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:40 pm 

more from Wolff - bit waffley but

""James coming onto the radio is the mindset that we have, we are able to say that we've done a mistake and in order to close the matter, and also to give him peace of mind that there's complete acknowledgement within the team that that has gone wrong, and it was our mistake, in order make him park the thought.

"It was about extracting what was left of performance in him, and helping him out of the mind loop of 'How can this possibly have happened?' By admitting the mistake it's easier to get yourself out of the spiral.""

I get it. By making the admission it closes the issue off and allows Hamilton to move and concentrate on driving. It make sense. If in an argument one side admits it was their fault and apologies, that pretty much draws a line under it. Nowhere to go from there. We know Hamiltons chin can drop in such circumstances so if it's true that it was this thought out to make the call then it was a smart move.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:54 pm 

A.J. wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

To be fair he does that himself - I had to cringe when I read those "My LeMans win was on a higher level than the ones in the past" comments. No Fernando, it wasn't - you were in a 2 car race.

He does talk himself up but they take that and run with it (even when that's not what he's actually doing).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:28 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Didn’t Ricciardo say “Let’s make **** happen” or something like that on the formation lap?
RoGro complained about Vandoorne ignoring blue flags instead of brakes so that saved Seb the trouble.
When did Max sound petulant?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:14 am 

Rockie wrote:
Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Covalent wrote:

So it’s a TEAM sport whenever a driver is concerned but if someone else on the TEAM commits an error there are specificities in how things should be said or manged and someone should speak on their behalf??!? The guy who made THE SAME DUMB MISTAKE... “AGAIN” came on the team radio to apologize for make the same mistake that he’s made before and cost the driver AND team points and wins... I don’t see anything wrong with that.

I was fuming that they once again left one of their drivers out when it was clear they should have pitted him, and it speaks to the ineptitude of the guys in charge that such a SIMPLE call was once again not
Made.

Wolff and Lauda should go and Brawn should resume control of the team. Both those guys are clowns in certain regards and continued errors of this nature is perhaps suggestive of those leading the team. This is why they needed to match any offer and keep Lowe!

I don’t think a single FAN wasn’t aware they should have pitted immediately yet a so called professional was once again lost. A professional in that position needs to be proactive rather than reactive because this is what happens. It’s like they don’t know when they need to put unless their rivals de ode to first.

Was gutted for Valtteri but upset for Lewis.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:42 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
Blake wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Why should I be annoyed? This is perhaps a more deep and existential question than you intended. I suppose I'm annoyed by the way that the common modus in here (and on the internet in general..and perhaps in society as a whole these days) is to assume that everyone carries a bias and speaks only towards pushing their own agenda such that when someone is not coming from that perspective, they are still treated as though they are.

Really, you can't see the irony and outright hypocrisy in this post considering where this exchange started?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)