planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:23 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic

Driver(s) of the day was / were:-
1. Lewis Hamilton 24%  24%  [ 28 ]
2. Valtteri Bottas 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
3. Sebastian Vettel 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
4. Kimi Raikkonen 18%  18%  [ 21 ]
5. Daniel Ricciardo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6. Max Verstappen 11%  11%  [ 13 ]
7. Sergio Perez 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8. Esteban Ocon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9. Sergey Sirotkin 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
10. Lance Stroll 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
11. Fernando Alonso 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
12. Stoffel Vandoorne 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
13. Pierre Gasly 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
14. Brandon Hartley 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
15. Romain Grosjean 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
16. Kevin Magnussen 13%  13%  [ 15 ]
17. Nico Hulkenberg 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
18. Carlos Sainz 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
19. Marcus Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
20. Charles Leclerc 13%  13%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 115
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6843
Location: Mumbai, India
For me,

Hamilton (for winning), Magnussen & Leclerc

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 pm
Posts: 2046
Hamilton, Verstappen, Magnussen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:17 pm
Posts: 130
Hamilton, Verstappen, Leclerc


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:58 pm
Posts: 87
.

Why should Hamilton (this time) like Vettel (when he just cruised around at the front all race) be regarded as "driver of the race" ?

.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 1042
Kimi, only driver that fought for his podium as hamilton checked out and versteppen got it by default

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:30 pm
Posts: 352
Ditto Mayhem's comment - the old washed up man can still drive a F1 car.........

Excellent and entertaining race, loving the 2018 F1 season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14225
Greenman wrote:
.

Why should Hamilton (this time) like Vettel (when he just cruised around at the front all race) be regarded as "driver of the race" ?

.


If you don't think he's deserving I suggest you don't vote for him. I didn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28443
Apparently Vettel got the official driver of the day 8O

I would view the incident largely as a racing incident but still with the penalty surely that has to be seen as a mistake by Vettel?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 am
Posts: 833
Location: India
Kimi, Hamilton and Sainz. I voted K Mag by mistake. He also did a good job. Grosjean P11 with so many mistakes. He is having terrible time

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM9-GK3MeLI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
pokerman wrote:
Apparently Vettel got the official driver of the day 8O

I would view the incident largely as a racing incident but still with the penalty surely that has to be seen as a mistake by Vettel?

Yes was Vettel's mistake. But I suppose the votes were for how he drove afterwards?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2936
Location: UK
Magnussen. He's having quite an impressive season overall.

Good drives from Hamilton and Leclerc as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 pm
Posts: 536
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Apparently Vettel got the official driver of the day 8O

I would view the incident largely as a racing incident but still with the penalty surely that has to be seen as a mistake by Vettel?

Yes was Vettel's mistake. But I suppose the votes were for how he drove afterwards?

Maybe so, but hitting Bottas then losing the rest of his front wing on (can't remember who) and hitting Alonso on the way through is enough to preclude him regardless of the rest of his drive.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
dompclarke wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Apparently Vettel got the official driver of the day 8O

I would view the incident largely as a racing incident but still with the penalty surely that has to be seen as a mistake by Vettel?

Yes was Vettel's mistake. But I suppose the votes were for how he drove afterwards?

Maybe so, but hitting Bottas then losing the rest of his front wing on (can't remember who) and hitting Alonso on the way through is enough to preclude him regardless of the rest of his drive.

He hit Grosjean as a consequence of his broken wing. Alonso was at fault for their clash.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2282
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Apparently Vettel got the official driver of the day 8O

I would view the incident largely as a racing incident but still with the penalty surely that has to be seen as a mistake by Vettel?

Yes was Vettel's mistake. But I suppose the votes were for how he drove afterwards?

The driver of the day poll is a bit of a joke in general. Whichever driver pulls off some nice overtakes usually wins that poll, regardless of the fact that they were at the back because of their own mistake to begin with.

But I would argue that it evens out. Hamilton got DOTD at Brazil 2017 under similar circumstances.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 4942
dompclarke wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Apparently Vettel got the official driver of the day 8O

I would view the incident largely as a racing incident but still with the penalty surely that has to be seen as a mistake by Vettel?

Yes was Vettel's mistake. But I suppose the votes were for how he drove afterwards?

Maybe so, but hitting Bottas then losing the rest of his front wing on (can't remember who) and hitting Alonso on the way through is enough to preclude him regardless of the rest of his drive.


I don't think he hit Alonso, just caught him napping and Alonso spun trying not to him.

That's on Alonso.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4798
Kimi lost out a bit at the start avoiding the mayhem but recovered to the podium. KMag solid job again but I also thought about Hulk for recovering well from a poor qualy. Leclerc again showing he belongs and putting his team mate deep into the shade.

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm
Posts: 697
KingVoid wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Apparently Vettel got the official driver of the day 8O

I would view the incident largely as a racing incident but still with the penalty surely that has to be seen as a mistake by Vettel?

Yes was Vettel's mistake. But I suppose the votes were for how he drove afterwards?

The driver of the day poll is a bit of a joke in general. Whichever driver pulls off some nice overtakes usually wins that poll, regardless of the fact that they were at the back because of their own mistake to begin with.

But I would argue that it evens out. Hamilton got DOTD at Brazil 2017 under similar circumstances.


Eh, it's DOTD not weekend.
Hamilton's error was the day before , not during the race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2282
Laz_T800 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Apparently Vettel got the official driver of the day 8O

I would view the incident largely as a racing incident but still with the penalty surely that has to be seen as a mistake by Vettel?

Yes was Vettel's mistake. But I suppose the votes were for how he drove afterwards?

The driver of the day poll is a bit of a joke in general. Whichever driver pulls off some nice overtakes usually wins that poll, regardless of the fact that they were at the back because of their own mistake to begin with.

But I would argue that it evens out. Hamilton got DOTD at Brazil 2017 under similar circumstances.


Eh, it's DOTD not weekend.
Hamilton's error was the day before , not during the race.

Good point.

But I still feel that "comeback drives" are overrated in modern Formula 1. The gap between the top 3 teams and the rest is enormous, and combined with DRS this makes overtaking slower cars easy. They don't even put up much of a fight nowadays.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 466
Location: Stratford
Hamilton, Raikkonen and Magnussen for me. Magnussen has impressed me on the whole this season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 pm
Posts: 536
Zoue wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Apparently Vettel got the official driver of the day 8O

I would view the incident largely as a racing incident but still with the penalty surely that has to be seen as a mistake by Vettel?

Yes was Vettel's mistake. But I suppose the votes were for how he drove afterwards?

Maybe so, but hitting Bottas then losing the rest of his front wing on (can't remember who) and hitting Alonso on the way through is enough to preclude him regardless of the rest of his drive.

He hit Grosjean as a consequence of his broken wing. Alonso was at fault for their clash.

He hit Grosjean because he put himself in a place where it could happen, when you're nursing a car back to the pits you don't put yourself in those positions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3077
KingVoid wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Apparently Vettel got the official driver of the day 8O

I would view the incident largely as a racing incident but still with the penalty surely that has to be seen as a mistake by Vettel?

Yes was Vettel's mistake. But I suppose the votes were for how he drove afterwards?

The driver of the day poll is a bit of a joke in general. Whichever driver pulls off some nice overtakes usually wins that poll, regardless of the fact that they were at the back because of their own mistake to begin with.

But I would argue that it evens out. Hamilton got DOTD at Brazil 2017 under similar circumstances.


Eh, it's DOTD not weekend.
Hamilton's error was the day before , not during the race.

Good point.

But I still feel that "comeback drives" are overrated in modern Formula 1. The gap between the top 3 teams and the rest is enormous, and combined with DRS this makes overtaking slower cars easy. They don't even put up much of a fight nowadays.


I did not see one car put up a fight against Vettel, not like Ricciardo did against Kimi, at least he took the inside line.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
dompclarke wrote:
Zoue wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Apparently Vettel got the official driver of the day 8O

I would view the incident largely as a racing incident but still with the penalty surely that has to be seen as a mistake by Vettel?

Yes was Vettel's mistake. But I suppose the votes were for how he drove afterwards?

Maybe so, but hitting Bottas then losing the rest of his front wing on (can't remember who) and hitting Alonso on the way through is enough to preclude him regardless of the rest of his drive.

He hit Grosjean as a consequence of his broken wing. Alonso was at fault for their clash.

He hit Grosjean because he put himself in a place where it could happen, when you're nursing a car back to the pits you don't put yourself in those positions.

I don't think he had an awful lot of choice. Lap one there will always be a swarm of cars around you. He was likely just trying to keep it on the road


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
F1_Ernie wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Yes was Vettel's mistake. But I suppose the votes were for how he drove afterwards?

The driver of the day poll is a bit of a joke in general. Whichever driver pulls off some nice overtakes usually wins that poll, regardless of the fact that they were at the back because of their own mistake to begin with.

But I would argue that it evens out. Hamilton got DOTD at Brazil 2017 under similar circumstances.


Eh, it's DOTD not weekend.
Hamilton's error was the day before , not during the race.

Good point.

But I still feel that "comeback drives" are overrated in modern Formula 1. The gap between the top 3 teams and the rest is enormous, and combined with DRS this makes overtaking slower cars easy. They don't even put up much of a fight nowadays.


I did not see one car put up a fight against Vettel, not like Ricciardo did against Kimi, at least he took the inside line.

It's difficult with a pace advantage. Look at the way Hiulk passed Leclerc. He too looked like he'd been waved through.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 548
Location: Kansas
Hamilton, Verstappen, Sainz

Hamilton for the win.

Max for a well run second and having an uneventful drive.

Sainz was really best of the rest till his car gave up on him. An excellent 50 out of 53 laps for Carlos today.

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2625
Had his first lep incident(s) not been his fault I would have voted for Vettel in a flash. Instead, I'm giving K-Mag the benefit, kept his nose clean (unless I missed something!) and brought his car home in a very creditable position largely on merit.

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6104
Location: Michigan, USA
Mort Canard wrote:
Sainz was really best of the rest till his car gave up on him. An excellent 50 out of 53 laps for Carlos today.

:thumbup:

I came here to say pretty much this. Sainz isn't getting enough respect in this thread. To top it all off, unlike Magnussen (and Verstappen) he didn't cut the first corner entirely after the accident.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2282
XNDA, Sainz and Magnussen were the best today.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:31 am
Posts: 2088
Seb - great recovery drive
Kimi - great drive to P3
Max - underrated capital drive for him today imo

Those voting the official driver of the day got it right. Sebastain's drive was masterful and he was clearly driver of the day, imo (as for the turn 1 incident - that's racing unless you do it 6 times in a row). I thought Kimi and Max also did a spectacular job. And kudos to Ricciardo/Sainz/Bottas for pulling out point drives with car issues and Hamilton for the smooth race for the win.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:17 pm
Posts: 130
There were multiple collisions today, and max wasn't involved in any of them.

Impressive for him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 1501
Hamilton has a realistic amount of votes I'd say. A faultless race, but unchallanged. But can't say it wasn't very good. Sainz has been under voted. I often am against Sainz, but this was a really solid race by him. Vettel having nearly as many votes as Verstappen is a bit silly realy. Verstappen was far better, probably gpoing to be one of my DOTD.

Why Vettel has 8 compared to Bottas's 2 i don't know. Bottas suffered more damage. Vettel drove around clumsily hitting another driver due to damage of his own cause. When he pitted (which he could get to far faster than Bottas, he came out with no damage at all by the look of it. Bottas had a damaged car. Looked like he would have likely managed 6th. Until he had a pit stop with what effectively was a 5 second penalty like Vettel had 8.7 seconds. Certainly cost him a place to Magnussen.

Basiacally, since this looked to be a mercedes track, Bottas likely will have been 2nd and Vettel probably 3rd. I doubt he would get many votes for that. So he's basically triggered a number of votes by hurting somebody's race as well as his own and being able to drive back up near the top with one of the fastest cars. This is a problem i see with DOTD votes. Drivers making a mistake at the start and recovering well sometimes get more votes than finishing in a higher position and scoring mor epoints. For Bottas's cercumstances, he clearly had a better day than vettel. But couldn't vote him either as we didn't get to see how well he could have done with a non damaged car.

Leclerc and Magnussen also have a fair number of votes.

Hamilton, Verstappen, Magnussen, Leclerc and Sainz. Will have to work out which 3 did better.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
Leclerc, Sainz, Hamilton.

Can't vote for Seb. He drove masterful after the event, but he could have made life easier for himself and gotten points for third along the way.

But Charles Leclerc - what a revelation, no? Not that didn't see an exciting prospect in him ahead of the season, but boy has he been dominating Ericsson, sticks out far more against Ericsson than any of his previous teammates. 5 points finishes in 8 races and I don't think the car should even be finishing in the points at all.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6104
Location: Michigan, USA
mds wrote:
But Charles Leclerc - what a revelation, no? Not that didn't see an exciting prospect in him ahead of the season, but boy has he been dominating Ericsson, sticks out far more against Ericsson than any of his previous teammates. 5 points finishes in 8 races and I don't think the car should even be finishing in the points at all.

Indeed. There's times when you know you're watching a special driver who will make an impact on the sport, and this is one of those times. For my money Leclerc's debut so far has been the most impressive since Vettel, if not since Hamilton (considering that Vettel actually debuted in 2007).

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
Exediron wrote:
mds wrote:
But Charles Leclerc - what a revelation, no? Not that didn't see an exciting prospect in him ahead of the season, but boy has he been dominating Ericsson, sticks out far more against Ericsson than any of his previous teammates. 5 points finishes in 8 races and I don't think the car should even be finishing in the points at all.

Indeed. There's times when you know you're watching a special driver who will make an impact on the sport, and this is one of those times. For my money Leclerc's debut so far has been the most impressive since Vettel, if not since Hamilton (considering that Vettel actually debuted in 2007).


Parallels might be drawn with Alonso's performances in a decidedly back-of-the-grid Minardi.

I made an error there though - it's 4 points finishes from 8 races. Damn wikipedia with their strange way of displaying WCC results.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Hamilton has a realistic amount of votes I'd say. A faultless race, but unchallanged. But can't say it wasn't very good. Sainz has been under voted. I often am against Sainz, but this was a really solid race by him. Vettel having nearly as many votes as Verstappen is a bit silly realy. Verstappen was far better, probably gpoing to be one of my DOTD.

Why Vettel has 8 compared to Bottas's 2 i don't know. Bottas suffered more damage. Vettel drove around clumsily hitting another driver due to damage of his own cause. When he pitted (which he could get to far faster than Bottas, he came out with no damage at all by the look of it. Bottas had a damaged car. Looked like he would have likely managed 6th. Until he had a pit stop with what effectively was a 5 second penalty like Vettel had 8.7 seconds. Certainly cost him a place to Magnussen.

Basiacally, since this looked to be a mercedes track, Bottas likely will have been 2nd and Vettel probably 3rd. I doubt he would get many votes for that. So he's basically triggered a number of votes by hurting somebody's race as well as his own and being able to drive back up near the top with one of the fastest cars. This is a problem i see with DOTD votes. Drivers making a mistake at the start and recovering well sometimes get more votes than finishing in a higher position and scoring mor epoints. For Bottas's cercumstances, he clearly had a better day than vettel. But couldn't vote him either as we didn't get to see how well he could have done with a non damaged car.

Leclerc and Magnussen also have a fair number of votes.

Hamilton, Verstappen, Magnussen, Leclerc and Sainz. Will have to work out which 3 did better.

I think too much is being made of a fairly small mistake which just happened to have major consequences. He drove well after that and I don't think a driver should be excluded for one small error if in the rest of the race he drove well. What's better, a guy who drives well within himself all race and cruises around the track, or someone who pushes lap after lap and makes one small mistake as a result? For me when considering DotD I also look to which driver has stretched themselves, not only where they finished.

Having said that, I agree that people tend to get carried away by overtakes, forgetting that the car advantage makes up for a lot of them. I thought Vettel drove well when compared to his team mate and looked quicker, considering he was on the far slower tyre (although to be fair Kimi did well to make his Ultras last as long as they did). But Kimi also made some decent overtakes, so it's hard to see what Vettel did that was so special. I'd probably say Kimi was more deserving than Vetttel, for the way he chased and passed Ricciardo - yes Ricciardo had issues, but he didn't make it easy for Kimi and it was a good pass. He definitely had to work for it. But overall pace? I think Vettel would have finished further up the road had he been in Kimi's position, so hard to award to Kimi for that reason.

As for Hamilton and Verstappen, Max himself said he didn't have to work too hard all race and it was pretty easy. He knew that the Mercedes was too fast for him and he had no threat from behind, so he essentially cruised around. Hamilton, too: did anyone really have any doubts before the race started that he would win it? I don't think either of those two did anything in particular that caused them to break out of their comfort zone, which would rule them out of DotD for me.

For me it would probably be Leclerc and Sainz, for really getting the best out of their equipment and leaving nothing on the table. I can understand some of the votes for the drivers mentioned, but I think people tend to confuse car with driver and finishing positions when making their vote a lot of the time


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Siao7, Yellowbin74 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group