planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:23 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
I thought this was a thread about Le Mans.

Exactly. I was about to type the same thing as you.

It feels like certain bloody Hamilton fans get in the way of everything in this forum.....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:54 pm 

mds wrote:
Anyway: http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/238 ... eatest-all

Quote:
It was a great challenge. I put this victory in a higher level than any other victory in Le Mans.

I'm trying to make sense of this. Failing miserably though.

Hmm this almost seems like a slip of the tongue/second language type thing. I can't imagine Alonso saying that intentionally, even in response to a question that annoyed him.

Bit of a Donald Trump moment if it was intentional though :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, Hamilton never expected any success with Mercedes in 2013, comparing him with Alonso and Toyota is far removed in terms of immediate success and joining a dominant situation.

Nobody except for you cares about that difference. Lewis did nothing to 'earn' his Mercedes success: he didn't contribute to the development of the car (because no driver does anymore) and he didn't put in any hard years of grinding away with the team before they were a top team. He joined, they were setting poles and winning straight away, then the next year they were dominant.

The fact is that Alonso drove against a field where the only competition was his sister car, and Hamilton did the exact same thing for three years. Hamilton didn't earn that privilege any more than Alonso did. He got luckier, since as you say he took a gamble by going to Mercedes, but I completely fail to see how that makes it any more earned or unearned.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:

Quote:
It was a great challenge. I put this victory in a higher level than any other victory in Le Mans.

Hmm this almost seems like a slip of the tongue/second language type thing. I can't imagine Alonso saying that intentionally, even in response to a question that annoyed him.

Without hearing the press conference, my guess would be that he made the relatively common mistake of referring to the WEC in general as 'Le Mans', and means that this victory was greater than any other in the series. I can't believe he'd really be arrogant enough to say that his victory was the greatest Le Mans win of all time.

If he did mean that though, that's going way too far. I think it was a deserving victory - because any victory in motorsport is, ultimately - but there have definitely been greater drives in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:02 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:

Quote:

IF ... Alonso made that comment in the context that it is being presented here, it was indeed a DUMB thing to have said. It also conflicts greatly with what Alonso was saying pre-race which was much more humble and inclusive.

Before I even read the article, when I saw ESPN in the address, I knew it had to be a Nate Saunders artcle, however.... he has about as much credibility with as doss thd Planrt F1 homepage... which is to " next to none"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:06 am 

Blake wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

IF ... Alonso made that comment in the context that it is being presented here, it was indeed a DUMB thing to have said. It also conflicts greatly with what Alonso was saying pre-race which was much more humble and inclusive.

Before I even read the article, when I saw ESPN in the address, I knew it had to be a Nate Saunders artcle, however.... he has about as much credibility with as doss thd Planrt F1 homepage... which is to " next to none"

Yeah, I really have a hard time believing he said that. It completely goes against everything else he's said on the topic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:55 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:

Quote:

maybe just a heavy sarcasm moment?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:15 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
I thought this was a thread about Le Mans.

Exactly. I was about to type the same thing as you.

It feels like certain bloody Hamilton fans get in the way of everything in this forum.....

We would have avoided all that if only someone said Macca '89 instead of Mercedes '14...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:24 am 

Exediron wrote:
Blake wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Yeah, I really have a hard time believing he said that. It completely goes against everything else he's said on the topic.

I don't really think there should be much doubt about whether he said it - it was during the official F1 press conference yesterday: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... rance.html

Unfortunately the video only starts after that particular question. If anyone has access to the full video, you're welcome to post it :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:14 pm 

This is what he recently said:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13690 ... revolution

"In the last two decades, I think we were more into professional drivers in one discipline maximising the skills in that discipline.

So what we are doing now is quite going back a couple of decades and changing motorsport and I'm happy to lead that change."

He forgets Kimi and Kubica doing WRC? Schumacher riding Ducattis? Fisico doing Le Mans and WEC?

He comes across as arrogant to me...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:16 pm 

mds wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Blake wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

I don't really think there should be much doubt about whether he said it - it was during the official F1 press conference yesterday: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... rance.html

Unfortunately the video only starts after that particular question. If anyone has access to the full video, you're welcome to post it :)

Found it thanks to UnlikeUday in other thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Rj8frgiLtE
If time code link doesn't work, it's from 12:50 onwards.

He seems VERY serious when he talks about there being "more competition than last year", and when he talks about this being on a higher level than any other victory in Le Mans. Nothing seems tongue in cheek or joking.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:39 pm 

He's such an unlikable character, it's almost unbelievable.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 pm 

LOL.

Some guys here are either disingenuous or they really don't know who Fernando Alonso is.

Small digs, massive display of arrogance, and plain disrespect have always been present throughout his career.

I suspect many have missed some "gems" in Italian.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:46 pm 

pullrod,

Why don't you tell us uneducated just who Fernando Alonso really is. How well do you really know him? First hand experience? I'd love to know just who Alonso REALLY is.

Has Alonso on occasion exhibited some arrogance? Yup. Has Lewis Hamilton exhibited some arrogance? Most certainly. Has Sebatien Vettel. Yeah. Schumi? Indeed. Max? Or course he has. Most top drivers have at times.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:25 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:

Quote:

It was said in the driver's press conference and he was deadly serious.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:27 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:

Quote:

Without hearing the press conference, my guess would be that he made the relatively common mistake of referring to the WEC in general as 'Le Mans', and means that this victory was greater than any other in the series. I can't believe he'd really be arrogant enough to say that his victory was the greatest Le Mans win of all time.

If he did mean that though, that's going way too far. I think it was a deserving victory - because any victory in motorsport is, ultimately - but there have definitely been greater drives in the past.

Watch the press conference, it's on youtube.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:29 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, Hamilton never expected any success with Mercedes in 2013, comparing him with Alonso and Toyota is far removed in terms of immediate success and joining a dominant situation.

Nobody except for you cares about that difference. Lewis did nothing to 'earn' his Mercedes success: he didn't contribute to the development of the car (because no driver does anymore) and he didn't put in any hard years of grinding away with the team before they were a top team. He joined, they were setting poles and winning straight away, then the next year they were dominant.

The fact is that Alonso drove against a field where the only competition was his sister car, and Hamilton did the exact same thing for three years. Hamilton didn't earn that privilege any more than Alonso did. He got luckier, since as you say he took a gamble by going to Mercedes, but I completely fail to see how that makes it any more earned or unearned.

He chose to compete in WEC in the year he knew he would have no competition apart from the sister car, Hamilton took a gamble, Alonso did not, that's a marked difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:

Quote:

maybe just a heavy sarcasm moment?

...or like I just posted watch the actual press conference.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 pm 

Siao7 wrote:

"In the last two decades, I think we were more into professional drivers in one discipline maximising the skills in that discipline.

So what we are doing now is quite going back a couple of decades and changing motorsport and I'm happy to lead that change."

He forgets Kimi and Kubica doing WRC? Schumacher riding Ducattis? Fisico doing Le Mans and WEC?

Alonso lives in a narcissistic bubble and creating a narrative of himself doing something beyond all other things, the triple crown, other drivers may have more F1 titles than him but what he is attempting to do is far greater.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:40 pm 

mds wrote:
mds wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Blake wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Found it thanks to UnlikeUday in other thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Rj8frgiLtE

He seems VERY serious when he talks about there being "more competition than last year", and when he talks about this being on a higher level than any other victory in Le Mans. Nothing seems tongue in cheek or joking.

No it doesn't but you want to give him the doubt, he's giving up on F1 because he can't get a top drive so will not win any more titles so he's now in the process of creating something which is far greater than that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:43 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

He chose to compete in WEC in the year he knew he would have no competition apart from the sister car, Hamilton took a gamble, Alonso did not, that's a marked difference.

He tried to go in 2015, Porsche wanted him but Honda blocked it and Hulk stepped in.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:21 pm 

Really enjoyed Alonso at Indy last year. Big kudos to him for sticking it out in F1 with terrible cars yet he continues to hone his skills in other categories.

On the other side, there are tons of good racing drivers out there. You need to be able to get good sponsors which Alonso excels at, and you need to have a good feeling about which car is going to be great and move there which Alonso has shown he is not very good at. When all is said and done, two world championships is about right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:38 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Alonso lives in a narcissistic bubble and creating a narrative of himself doing something beyond all other things, the triple crown, other drivers may have more F1 titles than him but what he is attempting to do is far greater.

It really seems to "bug" you when people praise Alonso and Vettel, poker. Wonder why that is.
;)

I personally believe that proving excellence in multiple driving disciplines IS far greater than multiple F1 titles. If Alonso should should win the Indy 500 to go with his LeMans, ADD x2, and Monaco TO wins, I would rate him with the likes of Andretti, Moss, Foyt, G Hill, Gurney, Clark, and a few, very few, others as the greatest drivers I have see in 60 years of watching auto racing. Seb and Lewis, or even Schumi, would not be on that list. I am not saying that Lewis & Seb are incapable, only that we won't know unless they expand their experiences.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:15 pm 

mds wrote:

Okay, fair enough, he does say it as quoted.

It's a weird quote however you cut it. He says there was more competition with 10 cars racing, but then goes on to mention that they had the only hybrid system in the same sentence as saying it was very challenging. Having the only hybrid system gave them a massive advantage, clearly, and I'm sure he knows that.

I really can't figure out why he would say what he said, honestly, unless it was just to shut people up. Either way, not a great moment for Alonso.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:25 pm 

Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

It really seems to "bug" you when people praise Alonso and Vettel, poker. Wonder why that is.
;)

I personally believe that proving excellence in multiple driving disciplines IS far greater than multiple F1 titles. If Alonso should should win the Indy 500 to go with his LeMans, ADD x2, and Monaco TO wins, I would rate him with the likes of Andretti, Moss, Foyt, G Hill, Gurney, Clark, and a few, very few, others as the greatest drivers I have see in 60 years of watching auto racing. Seb and Lewis, or even Schumi, would not be on that list. I am not saying that Lewis & Seb are incapable, only that we won't know unless they expand their experiences.

I have a hunch we'll see Seb at Lemans one day. I'm sure I read him saying he had interest in other categories but only after F1 so who knows, maybe he fancies the 500 as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:15 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

;)

I have a hunch we'll see Seb at Lemans one day. I'm sure I read him saying he had interest in other categories but only after F1 so who knows, maybe he fancies the 500 as well.

:thumbup:

That would be great by me! The more drivers who "cross-race" the better. A number of Indy drivers and NASCAR drivers have tried endurance racing as well as both other series and I have the utmost respect for their efforts. I hope Seb does follow suit... Lewis too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:05 am 

Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

;)

:thumbup:

For my money 2x F1 WDC, 2x Monaco GP wins, Debut Le Mans victory and an Indy 500 win would be a greater achievement than racking up a few extra F1 championships.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:38 am 

I'd love to see Lewis have a go at it, but out of all the 'top tier' guys floating around F1 right now, I think he will the one least likely to do it, though it'd be interesting if Vettel did it and won it in the near future.... Hamilton claims a lot that the stats dont bother him that much but he gives the game away from time to time and having 2 of his peers going for the triple crown could be enough to tempt him into doing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:45 pm 

This is a thread about Le Mans. If your post doesn't in some way relate to Le Mans, it will be removed from now on.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:24 pm 

What are the future plans for Le Mans? I mean it can't go on having one team of hybrids and then everyone else

I understand they want known brands in the top class. Are they making GT the top class?

Next year can't be the same as this?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:30 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:
What are the future plans for Le Mans? I mean it can't go on having one team of hybrids and then everyone else

I understand they want known brands in the top class. Are they making GT the top class?

Next year can't be the same as this?

Next year quite possibly will be similar to this year in terms of top line entries. The year after could be mega though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:31 pm 

2020 regulation changes.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/motorsport/hypercars-will-race-le-mans-2020

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:36 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:

They will look the dogs danglies, but with hybrid stuff still included, it'll still be a case of trying to lure some manufacturers back to compete with Toyota, if indeed they themselves still stick around.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:50 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

They will look the dogs danglies, but with hybrid stuff still included, it'll still be a case of trying to lure some manufacturers back to compete with Toyota, if indeed they themselves still stick around.

"Aerodynamics cannot take precedence over aesthetics,” the FIA confirms.

The new regulations specifically call for a focus on appearance, style and “lines” of these new prototypes. And racing in the WEC means racing around places like Le Mans, Sebring, Spa, Silverstone and Fuji, so – according to the FIA – they’ll have to be tough, “as imposing as they are ingenious and technological,” able to turn heads “like hypercars, supercars, prestigious GTs and concept cars do on the street or at any given motor show.”

How on earth do you legislate for aesthetics? :?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:12 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

The new regulations specifically call for a focus on appearance, style and “lines” of these new prototypes. And racing in the WEC means racing around places like Le Mans, Sebring, Spa, Silverstone and Fuji, so – according to the FIA – they’ll have to be tough, “as imposing as they are ingenious and technological,” able to turn heads “like hypercars, supercars, prestigious GTs and concept cars do on the street or at any given motor show.”

It's a right old muddle; beauty is in the eye and all that. I think the Hypercar 'look' is attempting to appeal to the lesser hypercar guys to lend a bodyshape/name to some more teams rather than purely appealing to the manufacturers, though yet again with the hybrid stuff stilll being pushed, any non manufacturer is on a hiding to nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:24 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

It's a right old muddle; beauty is in the eye and all that. I think the Hypercar 'look' is attempting to appeal to the lesser hypercar guys to lend a bodyshape/name to some more teams rather than purely appealing to the manufacturers, though yet again with the hybrid stuff stilll being pushed, any non manufacturer is on a hiding to nothing.

It's not about one person's decision about what looks good. It's allowing the rule makers to make quick changes to regulations to ban certain design changes that ruin the look of the cars. F1 did similar when they banned the X-Wings. They had to claim it was done because of safety concerns, when in truth, everyone involved in the sport knew it was because the media and fans hated the look of the things. F1 could not bad them for aesthetic reasons so had to use safety. The WEC rules are allowing rules to be changed based on aesthetic alone.

Sounds a bloody good idea to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:30 pm 

I think Le Mans works fine with prototypes but the big companies want to leave

I know people say formula E is neither here nor there but manufacturers do seem to see it as more marketable

Make Le Mans electric?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:38 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:

I know people say formula E is neither here nor there but manufacturers do seem to see it as more marketable

Make Le Mans electric?

Well, it's got Hybrid now and will have more and more of it with the new regs. I think the fact that companies will be able to race hyper cars that should look similar to cars they will be selling to the wealthy public will entice manufactures back. I loved the looks of the cars in the 90's and the thought of Merc, McLaren, Porsche, possibly Ferrari/Maserati and others entering is very appealing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:22 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:

Make Le Mans electric?

Well, it's got Hybrid now and will have more and more of it with the new regs. I think the fact that companies will be able to race hyper cars that should look similar to cars they will be selling to the wealthy public will entice manufactures back. I loved the looks of the cars in the 90's and the thought of Merc, McLaren, Porsche, possibly Ferrari/Maserati and others entering is very appealing.

Is their (FIA/rule makers) reasoning the appeal lies with cars 'people' relate to on the street? In my imagination all the greatest Le Mans eras have included cars which don't follow road car concepts

Bentley 'dominated' the 20s. Whether they were road cars or not i'm not sure

Jaguar dominated the 50s. The C and D Types were not road cars

GT40 was not a road car

Ditto for Porsche 917

Porsche 965 & 962 not road cars

Jaguar XJRs were not road car based

Audi R8 & 10s Porsche 919s non of these were road based

What i don't want is manufacturers moaning that if they didn't have to stick to 'GT' regulations they could go 'x' amount quicker

If the rules mean a Mclaren P1 is as quick as the latest Toyata Hybrid, then why not?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:42 pm 

I’m afraid that it could turn into simply a halo car class and not a true prototype class.

Don’t get me wrong. I think the idea of manufacturers racing their top of the line cars only modified for safety (roll cages/harnesses etc.) would be fun, but that’s not what I feel to be the top class of sports car racing should be. The LMP class to me should be like a field research lab not a dick measuring contest for cars that are already available.