planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:19 pm 

Drivers and key personnel*. The only real discussion between commentators and journalists and the F1 paddock seems to be on Thursdays-Sundays of race weekends.

So many major sports target that market, it seems a shame for F1 and its fans to be missing out on it. It's a format that seems to draw large audiences, and I bet F1 fans would tune in regularly to an F1 panel talk show which every week featured drivers from throughout the grid as well as team personnel.

Does the nature of movement in the sport mean such a program is unfeasible, or are drivers and team employees generally in England/Europe frequently enough to sustain it without turning into a show which hosts people like Otmar Szafnauer to come in every other week? (No offence to Szafnauer, I just wish the diversity of pit-wall personalities willing to lend time to the commentary team were greater.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:45 am 

Given how rigid most of the teams train their drivers to be in regards to PR and what they say in public, it'd probably be the most boring, uninformative excercise in PR jargon ever broadcast.

If they let the drivers/personnel come out and say what they wanted mind....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:35 am 

Based on how tedious the pre event press conferences are I'm confident hardly anyone would tune into the second episide.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:02 pm 

Personally, I don't give a crap about the drama and social lives of most drivers. I watch racing for the racing. I would definitely not watch such a show because I would be able to watch a race instead.

And as pointed out by Zazu and Flash2k11, the drivers would not be able to divulge much about the teams or cars. So what would they talk about? Their new tattoos? Their personal cars?

If it is not directly related to the racing, I don't care.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:35 pm 

Surely they could talk about the racing without divulging secret team info. Soccer personalities get involved in shows such as this regularly, do they not, and are able to maintain an interesting conversation with journalists without compromising team secrets.

Honestly I think a bit of personality, giving the drivers a chance to go off script, could do wonders for F1. The sport seems to think that keeping everything as tight knit as it can is good for business. I tend to disagree.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:59 am 

Other racing series have no problem getting exposure for their drivers. And IMO, having a formal process sort of defeats the goal of allowing the drivers to truly display their personalities.

The real problem is that Formula One is tighter than a miser's butt. Everyone so tense, so uptight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:14 am 

Toby. wrote:
Surely they could talk about the racing without divulging secret team info. Soccer personalities get involved in shows such as this regularly, do they not, and are able to maintain an interesting conversation with journalists without compromising team secrets.

Honestly I think a bit of personality, giving the drivers a chance to go off script, could do wonders for F1. The sport seems to think that keeping everything as tight knit as it can is good for business. I tend to disagree.

The other sports tend to be competitive and the performance of the sportsperson has a hugely greater impact than the ability of an F1 driver. Alonso is an example of how little the driver matters in F1.

So much of F1 depends on keeping technical advances secret that there would be very little freedom to talk about things that matter.

The drivers could talk about how they train, the importance of a sports psychologist, diet and keeping your weight down, who has the prettiest partner, how it's fair/unfair that some get drives because of financial support. It doesn't seem to have the potential to be an interesting series of programmes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:37 am 

The drivers would probably have to have their PR advisor sitting next to them to make sure they kept to the script... just one of F1s many problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:23 am 

i would settle for the post race interview, we aren't getting that in the states.

i agree though, f1 should come up with something to showcase some of the driver personalities. maybe on friday they could do a couple minutes with a driver and crew person to be shown before the race. better than the stale grid walk fluff and celebrities, that i don't watch anymore