planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:30 pm 

Waiting for that perfect Q3 lap and a decent get away from pole. It can happen in Spain, Monaco or Canada given the speed Kimi is showing with this car.
Now that he is close to Seb in the WDC standings, I don't think that Ferrari will give Kimi 3rd rate strategies as they have been doing in the past.
A repeat of 2007 anyone? The last swansong of Kimi Raikkonen. I'd pay a fortune to witness it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:59 am 

No, Ferrari only cares about Vettel and WDC. They become sad if Vettel has a bad race or do not care too much about Kimi. If he finishes ahead of Mercedes or Hamilton that is obviously a bonus for Ferrari. Kimi has had great start and usually get better. I definitely think he can win a race this year. He missed out in Monaco, Hungary and Malaysia last year. I think Malaysia was his best bet as Vettel started last and Kimi was in front row. Ferrari had a great car but unfortunately he could not even start due to engine problem :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:19 pm 

Awesome race today from the Iceman!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:22 pm 

greatestF1mindever wrote:
Awesome race today from the Iceman!

Yep, clearly still the number two and not allowed to finish ahead of Seb... ;)
Nice to see the last two races Kimi getting racey again!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:41 pm 

It was some good driving from Kimi today. It's a shame he got too greedy at the beginning because without that he may well have finished first. But his pace looked good and for once he didn't look like giving anything away to Seb. One of his best races for a while

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:02 pm 

Enjoyed the race today - well done to Kimi, shame about what happened after a great start off the grid but he certainly made up for it later

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:03 pm 

Enjoyed the race today - well done to Kimi, shame about what happened after a great start off the grid but he certainly made up for it later

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:29 am 

That start was awesome, if he could make it it would have been brilliant stuff. Very entertaining anyway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:50 pm 

Could this weekend finally be the one he finally wins with Ferrari again? Any info on Ferrari updates?

Top 3 Competition
2016: 5th, Wins in: Spain, 1st Great Britain

F1 Oracle 2016: 2nd, Wins in: Australia, Russia, Canada, Great Britain

Group Pick'em 6th, Podiums: 2nd Monaco

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:44 pm 

Fountoukos13 wrote:
Could this weekend finally be the one he finally wins with Ferrari again? Any info on Ferrari updates?

Oh I sure hope so!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:24 am 

It would be amazing if he can win SPA for the 5th time. He was cruising in 2008 for the win before rain came in. Usually in Monza Ferrari announce their drivers so we will know soon. He is driving much better this year so I cannot see any driver doing a better job than him TBH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:09 pm 

When will this man's 'luck' end?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:37 pm 

I am sure Kimi can get podium tomorrow. Kimi has released his autobiography in Finnish, sweden and English version is suppose to come around 17th October on his 39th birthday . May be this is going to be his last season in F1 :-((

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:45 pm 

BlackMan wrote:

Sounds like Ferrari might have handicapped Kimi by short fueling him so he could not do an final last lap on a drying track.

Another lap at the end would surely have put him at least a few places farther up the grid.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:10 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
BlackMan wrote:

Sounds like Ferrari might have handicapped Kimi by short fueling him so he could not do an final last lap on a drying track.

Another lap at the end would surely have put him at least a few places farther up the grid.

At this point I don't even know what to say anymore. It's just getting ridiculous. Most of Kimi's fans would agree that Ferrari's best chance at another title are in Vettel's hands at the moment but that's not an excuse on how Kimi is treated by his crew regarding strategy ,pit stops and so on...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:10 pm 

Not a race weekend goes by where Kimi doesn't have some sort of issue. I was thinking beforehand what might deny him from grabbing the pole this time, but running out of fuel certainly wasn't one of them. He' must've truly seen it all by now. Let's see what kind of issues will follow in the race.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:29 am 

In this video they informed him that he will get only 1lap and he was at P1 that time, later when he came to pits they said it is not possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyt6R9_22Qk

RBR did same for both drivers and they are the one who probably should have gambled. I think Ferrari were trying cover all their bases to have at least 1 Ferrari ahead of Hamilton. Kimi was unlucky. It could have so easily been other way round where Kimi would fight for pole and Vettel at P6.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
In this video they informed him that he will get only 1lap and he was at P1 that time, later when he came to pits they said it is not possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyt6R9_22Qk

RBR did same for both drivers and they are the one who probably should have gambled. I think Ferrari were trying cover all their bases to have at least 1 Ferrari ahead of Hamilton. Kimi was unlucky. It could have so easily been other way round where Kimi would fight for pole and Vettel at P6.

yeah but it's always Kimi. It's still a pretty questionable decision IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 am 

On to Kimi's future at Ferrari, I'm expecting a new Ferrari contract for him to be announced at Monza.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 1st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:55 am 

They would have made damn sure Vettel wouldn't have had that problem, have a bad feeling for Kimi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:08 am 

You can bet your life they would have made damn sure Vettel didn't have that problem. I have a bad feeling for Kimi trying to fight through to the front today - just hope I am wrong as he really deserves a lucky break for a change. Seems a bit of suspicious to me, don't they normally fuel cars for two runs in Quali 3? why not this time?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am 

KIMBO2 wrote:
You can bet your life they would have made damn sure Vettel didn't have that problem. I have a bad feeling for Kimi trying to fight through to the front today - just hope I am wrong as he really deserves a lucky break for a change. Seems a bit of suspicious to me, don't they normally fuel cars for two runs in Quali 3? why not this time?

So they thought it would be better to deliberately sabotage their driver than have 2 cars at the front to split strategy and put Hamilton/Mercedes under pressure? It makes no sense.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:59 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
KIMBO2 wrote:

So they thought it would be better to deliberately sabotage their driver than have 2 cars at the front to split strategy and put Hamilton/Mercedes under pressure? It makes no sense.

But why does Kimi suffer such bad luck? Even a smaller team like Force India managed to send both their drivers out & fetch some good qualy results!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:45 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
KIMBO2 wrote:

But why does Kimi suffer such bad luck? Even a smaller team like Force India managed to send both their drivers out & fetch some good qualy results!

No idea, but that doesn't mean that conspiracy theories make any more sense.

It's in Ferrari's best interest, especially with Bottas so low down, to have 2 Ferrari cars up front against Hamilton.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:08 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
KIMBO2 wrote:

It's always the same talk about sabotage, but in my opinion it's just general sloppiness. When they have their main focus on car number 5 to get the best possible strategy and track position, the other car gets the leftovers. Also, it wasn't flawless on Vettel's side of the garage either, as apparently during the hectic Q3 the mechanics in panic only lifted the front of the car while pushing it to the garage and Vettel was shouting to the radio about it and asking what they are doing scraping the floor. Overall, it seems like Ferrari's pit crew sometimes loses the plot, but it's true it usually happens with car number 7.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:43 pm 

Kimi constantly telling the engineer something is wrong in the rear and somehow it takes so long for him to know what exactly was the problem :?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTXrV3-nSzE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:18 pm 

That's horrendous attention to detail by Ferrari, or total lack there of.

It pisses me off that people say such nonsensical things about Kimi and how his best days are past him now yet you see how keen he is to so many things that other drivers might miss and now even his own team couldn't identify any issue when he was clearly communicating an issue.

I wish Kimi would land another top ride and show the world how world-class he still is. Ferrari is simply NOT the team for him. In 2007 they only opted for him when LDM pushed Schumacher and Co. out and he delivered. Once he spoke his mind however, it seems he was just another driver to them. this time around it's pretty much the same. This whole #1 and #2 driver nonsense is diva driven and the FIA should once again outlaw practices that sees to it that drivers' efforts aren't thwarted in favor of a team's #1 preferred driver. There should be parity and neutrality unless the championship is coming to an end and one driver is no longer in contention mathematically and driver #1 NEEDS their teammate's assistance to try and win the WDC. It's unfair however, for teams to do this from the onset of the season because it effectively eliminates one driver from contention and relegates him to being of support status only rather early on in the season, and it makes for a lesser show.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:44 am 

I was sorry when he went to Ferrari the first time, I know he won his championship with them but have never trusted them since the MS days and could never see Kimi really fitting in there. When he went to Lotus after being out for two years he seemed to fit in well, it was such a shame that they had the financial difficulties as the car seemed to really suit his style and he seemed very relaxed there. I love that he is still racing - will be lost the day he leaves - but just wish it wasn't for Ferrari.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:21 pm 

That lotus wasn’t so good or tailored to him initially. If you remember, he complained about the front end and pleaded with the team to make the changes he was requesting and when they finally got it done, the car was immediately a contender. That’s value most drivers don’t bring and is partly why he’s still a commodity in F1.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:08 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:

It pisses me off that people say such nonsensical things about Kimi and how his best days are past him now yet you see how keen he is to so many things that other drivers might miss and now even his own team couldn't identify any issue when he was clearly communicating an issue.

I wish Kimi would land another top ride and show the world how world-class he still is. Ferrari is simply NOT the team for him. In 2007 they only opted for him when LDM pushed Schumacher and Co. out and he delivered. Once he spoke his mind however, it seems he was just another driver to them. this time around it's pretty much the same. This whole #1 and #2 driver nonsense is diva driven and the FIA should once again outlaw practices that sees to it that drivers' efforts aren't thwarted in favor of a team's #1 preferred driver. There should be parity and neutrality unless the championship is coming to an end and one driver is no longer in contention mathematically and driver #1 NEEDS their teammate's assistance to try and win the WDC. It's unfair however, for teams to do this from the onset of the season because it effectively eliminates one driver from contention and relegates him to being of support status only rather early on in the season, and it makes for a lesser show.

Look, I like Kimi, but I don't think he can really complain too much about his treatment at Ferrari. He's doing much better this year, but in previous years he wasn't exactly setting the world alight. If he's a #2 this year - and I have to say the evidence does support that he was designated this right from the beginning of the year - it's only because he showed himself to be very much a #2 driver in past years. Yet Ferrari kept faith in him, when others may have shown him the door.

I've always said he has good one-lap pace still, but tbh that doesn't mean much when he consistently makes mistakes when it counts in qualifying and throws away positions unnecessarily. It's clear the car suits him much better now, too, but again the flip side of that is it exposes the fact that he's unbelievably sensitive to car design and/or setup and needs things to be exactly right in order to perform. And finally, as regards race pace he still more often than not gives way to Vettel. My personal (un)educated guess is that it's the tyres which he struggles to manage effectively, in a way he didn't have to with the Michelins, but these tyres are what we have so that's no great excuse, either.

Bottom line is that Kimi occasionally shows flashes of brilliance and it's good to see that he can still mix it with the others in qualifying, but it's pretty clear to see that he's simply not as consistently good as his team mate and rarely looks as dangerous in the races. He gets good results, but not great ones. It is really annoying that Ferrari appear to have forgotten he's even there, but OTOH he's got a seat most other drivers would kill for and he's never really shown anything that would suggest Ferrari have made a mistake with prioritizing Vettel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:58 pm 

Zoue wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Look, I like Kimi, but I don't think he can really complain too much about his treatment at Ferrari. He's doing much better this year, but in previous years he wasn't exactly setting the world alight. If he's a #2 this year - and I have to say the evidence does support that he was designated this right from the beginning of the year - it's only because he showed himself to be very much a #2 driver in past years. Yet Ferrari kept faith in him, when others may have shown him the door.

I've always said he has good one-lap pace still, but tbh that doesn't mean much when he consistently makes mistakes when it counts in qualifying and throws away positions unnecessarily. It's clear the car suits him much better now, too, but again the flip side of that is it exposes the fact that he's unbelievably sensitive to car design and/or setup and needs things to be exactly right in order to perform. And finally, as regards race pace he still more often than not gives way to Vettel. My personal (un)educated guess is that it's the tyres which he struggles to manage effectively, in a way he didn't have to with the Michelins, but these tyres are what we have so that's no great excuse, either.

Bottom line is that Kimi occasionally shows flashes of brilliance and it's good to see that he can still mix it with the others in qualifying, but it's pretty clear to see that he's simply not as consistently good as his team mate and rarely looks as dangerous in the races. He gets good results, but not great ones. It is really annoying that Ferrari appear to have forgotten he's even there, but OTOH he's got a seat most other drivers would kill for and he's never really shown anything that would suggest Ferrari have made a mistake with prioritizing Vettel.

I, for the life of me, can't understand how some of you think that is a bad thing.

To drive a car fast, you have to be sensitive to what it is doing, identify a behavior and take steps to correct it, tune what you don't like out of the car. The other way around, adjusting to what the car gives you and just manhandling a car to do what you want will not return the fastest lap time. No matter how long it takes, you tune what you do not like out of the car, again, no matter how long it takes, you work at it until the car gives you exactly what you want - exactly!!

This is why no matter for whom Kimi drives, the team makes a progression to the front. In my view, his sensitivity is the best asset he has. Is his call to glory, not his deficit.

In this radio exchange it is evident how tuned in Kimi is to his car, the way it should be, driver and car should become one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:52 am 

PRFAN wrote:
Zoue wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

I, for the life of me, can't understand how some of you think that is a bad thing.

To drive a car fast, you have to be sensitive to what it is doing, identify a behavior and take steps to correct it, tune what you don't like out of the car. The other way around, adjusting to what the car gives you and just manhandling a car to do what you want will not return the fastest lap time. No matter how long it takes, you tune what you do not like out of the car, again, no matter how long it takes, you work at it until the car gives you exactly what you want - exactly!!

This is why no matter for whom Kimi drives, the team makes a progression to the front. In my view, his sensitivity is the best asset he has. Is his call to glory, not his deficit.

In this radio exchange it is evident how tuned in Kimi is to his car, the way it should be, driver and car should become one.

It has its advantages and I've heard from more than one source that one of Kimi's strengths is his technical feedback (which I've also heard is one of the reasons Ferrari have kept him for so long). However, the flip side of it is that unless a car is 100% to his liking he struggles to get the best out of it. He was an absolute demon on Michelins but has since never managed to replicate that performance on Pirellis. He still has strong one lap pace (when he doesn't make mistakes, that is), but one of the issues he has long struggled with is keeping the tyres in the right temperature range (which he didn't have to do with the Michelins), which has affected his race pace quite significantly. According to Fry McLaren had 9 different front ends between JPM and Kimi one season, because of how sensitive Kimi was to the handling of the car

And when a car needs a few minor tweaks to set up properly, it's not as big of an issue. But one of the stories going around was that the pull-rod suspension Ferrari used to use was something he couldn't adapt his driving style to, which partly explains his fairly mediocre performances then. So yes, he can certainly give good technical feedback in helping develop the car, but while that car is being developed he can't get the best out of it. The only other top driver I can think of in recent years with a similar sensitivity was Button, but he still seemed more able to adapt than Kimi does.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:49 am 

PRFAN wrote:
Zoue wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

You mean like Ferrari between 2007 and 2009?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:20 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
Zoue wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Or McLaren which couldn't even build a new car in 2003 followed by the awful 2004 car.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:01 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
Zoue wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Or McLaren which couldn't even build a new car in 2003 followed by the awful 2004 car.

I'll take the Ferraris, but think you're being a bit unfair with the McLarens. In 2003 they started strongly, using a developed version of the 2002 car. The problem was they designed an all new car but never actually raced it, and the 2002 car ran out of development potential as a result and other teams overtook them. I think it's a little unfair to blame Kimi for that. And in 2004 they started with a radical car based on that failed design that never raced, which proved to be a dud, so again it's a little harsh to blame the drivers. And when they finally did get the development right later in the year and introduced a B spec, the results immediately improved and Kimi got their only win of the season, which actually supports the development progression claim.

There are - admittedly anecdotal - claims that Ferrari didn't listen to Kimi's complaints about the car during 2008 and once they finally did pay him some attention in 2009 the results started improving. Don't know whether that's true or not (and, if so, why wasn't Kimi more forceful in the first place) but that again does lend some credence to the progression claims. It was also fairly widely reported that Kimi insisted on changes to the Lotus front end and once he got that the results improved, too. Could of course be coincidence but there does appear to be a pattern, but I'll agree that it could be seen as circumstantial.

There is still the issue of him not being able to perform properly until the development changes have been made, of course, but there's enough superficial evidence that he does make some positive contributions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:16 am 

So Kimi's good luck continues. Vettel had an accident yesterday - in Kimi's car!

Looks light, but would be just Kimi's luck if it affected this weekend!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vettel-demo-crash-down-to-using-raikkonens-wheel/3167624/?nrt=54

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:00 pm 

Zoue wrote:
So Kimi's good luck continues. Vettel had an accident yesterday - in Kimi's car!

Looks light, but would be just Kimi's luck if it affected this weekend!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vettel-demo-crash-down-to-using-raikkonens-wheel/3167624/?nrt=54

Why they didn't bring a 2017 car for that event in the first place? Knowing Ferrari's recent sloppiness with Kimi I won't be suprised if something more retarded happens with him this weekend...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:34 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
Zoue wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

You do realise that 2009 is a different spec of car with no input from the previous ones...

Look better at 2008 compared to 2007 where Ferrari clearly got the jump on Mclaren.

Top 3 Competition
2016: 5th, Wins in: Spain, 1st Great Britain

F1 Oracle 2016: 2nd, Wins in: Australia, Russia, Canada, Great Britain

Group Pick'em 6th, Podiums: 2nd Monaco

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:36 pm 

Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
Zoue wrote:

I wish Kimi would land another top ride and show the world how world-class he still is. Ferrari is simply NOT the team for him. In 2007 they only opted for him when LDM pushed Schumacher and Co. out and he delivered. Once he spoke his mind however, it seems he was just another driver to them. this time around it's pretty much the same. This whole #1 and #2 driver nonsense is diva driven and the FIA should once again outlaw practices that sees to it that drivers' efforts aren't thwarted in favor off a team's #1 preferred driver. There should be parity and neutrality unless the championship is coming to an end and one driver is no longer in contention mathematically and driver #1 NEEDS their teammate's assistance to try and win the WDC. It's unfair however, for teams to do this from the onset of the season because it effectively eliminates one driver from contention and relegates him to being of support status only rather early on in the season, and it makes for a lesser show.

I'll take the Ferraris, but think you're being a bit unfair with the McLarens. In 2003 they started strongly, using a developed version of the 2002 car. The problem was they designed an all new car but never actually raced it, and the 2002 car ran out of development potential as a result and other teams overtook them. I think it's a little unfair to blame Kimi for that. And in 2004 they started with a radical car based on that failed design that never raced, which proved to be a dud, so again it's a little harsh to blame the drivers. And when they finally did get the development right later in the year and introduced a B spec, the results immediately improved and Kimi got their only win of the season, which actually supports the development progression claim.

There are - admittedly anecdotal - claims that Ferrari didn't listen to Kimi's complaints about the car during 2008 and once they finally did pay him some attention in 2009 the results started improving. Don't know whether that's true or not (and, if so, why wasn't Kimi more forceful in the first place) but that again does lend some credence to the progression claims. It was also fairly widely reported that Kimi insisted on changes to the Lotus front end and once he got that the results improved, too. Could of course be coincidence but there does appear to be a pattern, but I'll agree that it could be seen as circumstantial.

There is still the issue of him not being able to perform properly until the development changes have been made, of course, but there's enough superficial evidence that he does make some positive contributions.

Don't get me wrong. I do not blame Räikkönen for any of his cars. IMO, the times of drivers being responsible for the basic competitiveness of the car (in contrast to individual, track-specific set-up) expired with Jack Brabham. So, Räikkönen is not to blame for his bad cars just as he is not to praise for his good cars.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:35 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
That lotus wasn’t so good or tailored to him initially. If you remember, he complained about the front end and pleaded with the team to make the changes he was requesting and when they finally got it done, the car was immediately a contender. That’s value most drivers don’t bring and is partly why he’s still a commodity in F1.

Grosjean qualified the car 3rd on it's debut out of the box in Australia, it was a good car from the get go.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 1st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)