planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:58 am 

jiminwatford wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
Sky commentary is used in the race highlight videos on the official F1 channel.

They see everything through pro-Hamilton anti-Ferrari goggles and shamelessly push their agenda.

Do you mind me asking where you come from & what team / driver you support?

My guess is that you want the F1 channel to be wholly independent and unbiased in any direction?

I would agree. But they (F1) choose to use Sky so IMO are responsible for what comes out

My guess is Sky are responsible first and foremost to the direct subscribers (Joe Public) and if extra bodies want to buy their service then fine by them

I’m from Canada where TSN just uses Sky coverage.

I’ve never been a nationalist though. I loved Schumacher and couldn’t stand Villeneuve.

I would say that Channel 4 is better than Sky, they are also fans of Hamilton, but at least they don’t have a complete moron like Crofty as their main commentator.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 am 

KingVoid wrote:
I would say that Channel 4 is better than Sky, they are also fans of Hamilton, but at least they don’t have a complete moron like Crofty as their main commentator.

If he goes on about fuzzy dice and the halo one more time, I just might lose it... :thumbup:

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:50 am 

KingVoid wrote:

Pardon me if I'm being a bit slow here, but I'm intrigued to see what is completely moronic about David Croft. :-? I do recognise that all commentators will not appeal to all people and we're entitled to our opinion. But "...a complete moron..."

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:58 am 

KingVoid wrote:
What amazes me is just how much this tyre change from Pirelli has gone under the radar. If the situations were reversed and Ferrari dominated like this after Pirelli changed the tyre compound, no doubt that Sky would be crying all race long. They were crying all race long at Monaco last year when Vettel beat Raikkonen on merit.

Sky are pathetic and useless all around, it’s a shame that they provide coverage for most of the world.

Good point. I can think of a few titles that would've popped up in this forum as well, starting with something along the lines of FIArrari or Pirellari.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:03 am 

Huw wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Pardon me if I'm being a bit slow here, but I'm intrigued to see what is completely moronic about David Croft. :-? I do recognise that all commentators will not appeal to all people and we're entitled to our opinion. But "...a complete moron..."

Horrendously biased beyond belief and just an awful commentator all around. I don’t even mind the fact that he regularly misses obvious things and asks very dumb questions. What annoys me the most is that he is a huge Hamilton fanatic and hates Ferrari, and he doesn’t even try to hide it. Crofty should be posting on an F1 forum like this, not presenting the sport to millions of people.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:23 am 

KingVoid wrote:
Huw wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Horrendously biased beyond belief and just an awful commentator all around. I don’t even mind the fact that he regularly misses obvious things and asks very dumb questions. What annoys me the most is that he is a huge Hamilton fanatic and hates Ferrari, and he doesn’t even try to hide it. Crofty should be posting on an F1 forum like this, not presenting the sport to millions of people.

Add to this he obviously loves the sound of his own voice, and he just too often provides input that brings nothing to the show. Allow me to undoubtedly misquote him from yesterday's race, but he said something along the lines of this..

[Team tells driver to stay on Strategy A]

Crofty: "Strategy A we believe means he will be staying on a one-stop strategy. That is, of course, unless strategy A was a two-stop, in which case he will do two stops."

Wow, Crofty. How many millions does Sky pay you to bring that sort of insight?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:50 am 

So after this race does it mean that Raikkonen is on his third engine? After 5 out of 21 races he's on his third engine! Doesn't bode well for Ferrari's team campaign.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:23 am 

KingVoid wrote:
I don’t even mind the fact that he regularly misses obvious things and asks very dumb questions.

I do mind that. But what I mind most is that he feels the need to hog the majority of the microphone time, often overriding his far more qualified co-presenters.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:34 am 

KingVoid wrote:
Huw wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Thanks for that. Fair comment. You've got me wondering if my critical antennae are a bit blunted. I'll be on the lookout for bias and favourites in his commentary at Monaco. I think perhaps my problem - if that's the word - is that I don't have favourites, either drivers or teams. Maybe that renders me less aware of commentators' preferences or dislikes.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 am 

Looking at the championship positions now:
Hamilton: 95
Vettel: 78
Bottas: 58

Things would be quite different if Bottas hadn't retired in Baku. And even then, I'd say his luck this season would have been pretty much equal to his team mates. Bottas would likely now have 83 and Hamilton just 5 more at 88. Vettel had his luck in Australia from 3rd to 1st so I think China can be counted as his bit of bad luck this year. Vettel would have 76 if Bottas finished ahead of him in Baku.

So the championchip points would be:

Hamilton: 88
Bottas: 83
Vettel: 76

All of the drivers have had a mix of luck and bad luck, but Bottas's retirement has made hamilton look like he's doing better than he actually is. he did all he could this weekend however. And although the gap was big in the race, I think it was mainly that Bottas was in dirty air on a track really hard to overtake on for most of it. Then when he was in clean air, his tyres were very close or past the recommended limit. But he still wasn't much slower than Hamilton.

I think Bottas should be pretty confident though. I thought his pace was similar to Hamilton again this weekend and even in the race if I'm honest. He just didn't have the best of starts. If he'd just been a fraction quicker in qualifying and Hamilton had had a start of the race like Bottas, then it actually could be possible that Hamilton may have had a similar result. Hamilton showed how hard it was to overtake a slow Kimi even in China. Hamilton just did what he needed to in qualifying and had a good start, which on a track that is really hard to overtake on is what matters. So Hamilton did better than Bottas there. I just don't think 20 seconds is a true reflection of their pace difference this race. As when Vettel pitted early on, Bottas instantly did a fastest sector of the race and nearly beat Hamilton's fastest time. If his pit stop wasn't 1.4 seconds slower than Vettel's then due to that fast lap, he probably will have managed to come out ahead and not allow that gap to Hamilton drop as much.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:54 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Looking at the championship positions now:
Hamilton: 95
Vettel: 78
Bottas: 58

Things would be quite different if Bottas hadn't retired in Baku. And even then, I'd say his luck this season would have been pretty much equal to his team mates. Bottas would likely now have 83 and Hamilton just 5 more at 88. Vettel had his luck in Australia from 3rd to 1st so I think China can be counted as his bit of bad luck this year. Vettel would have 76 if Bottas finished ahead of him in Baku.

So the championchip points would be:

Hamilton: 88
Bottas: 83
Vettel: 76

All of the drivers have had a mix of luck and bad luck, but Bottas's retirement has made hamilton look like he's doing better than he actually is. he did all he could this weekend however. And although the gap was big in the race, I think it was mainly that Bottas was in dirty air on a track really hard to overtake on for most of it. Then when he was in clean air, his tyres were very close or past the recommended limit. But he still wasn't much slower than Hamilton.

I think Bottas should be pretty confident though. I thought his pace was similar to Hamilton again this weekend and even in the race if I'm honest. He just didn't have the best of starts. If he'd just been a fraction quicker in qualifying and Hamilton had had a start of the race like Bottas, then it actually could be possible that Hamilton may have had a similar result. Hamilton showed how hard it was to overtake a slow Kimi even in China. Hamilton just did what he needed to in qualifying and had a good start, which on a track that is really hard to overtake on is what matters. So Hamilton did better than Bottas there. I just don't think 20 seconds is a true reflection of their pace difference this race. As when Vettel pitted early on, Bottas instantly did a fastest sector of the race and nearly beat Hamilton's fastest time. If his pit stop wasn't 1.4 seconds slower than Vettel's then due to that fast lap, he probably will have managed to come out ahead and not allow that gap to Hamilton drop as much.

yeah I think luck has played a bigger part than normal so far this year. Kimi has had horrendous luck and should be further up the points standings than he is, too (although in fairness this is mitigated somewhat by the extreme good luck he had in Baku). While SC have had a not-insignificant impact upon a number of races already. The current points table isn't necessarily a reflection of any of the drivers' actual performances

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:56 am 

Covalent wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
What amazes me is just how much this tyre change from Pirelli has gone under the radar. If the situations were reversed and Ferrari dominated like this after Pirelli changed the tyre compound, no doubt that Sky would be crying all race long. They were crying all race long at Monaco last year when Vettel beat Raikkonen on merit.

Sky are pathetic and useless all around, it’s a shame that they provide coverage for most of the world.

Good point. I can think of a few titles that would've popped up in this forum as well, starting with something along the lines of FIArrari or Pirellari.
I couldn't help thinking this during the race; changed tyres and less than brilliant weather. It was really when Vettel went for a third set that I couldn't get it out of my mind again. Being somebody who doesn't believe in mandatory tyre stops anyway, it was decidedly odd.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:04 pm 

KingVoid wrote:

Agreed. Can't understand why Ferrari or the other teams agreed to the change though.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:21 pm 

KingVoid wrote:

lol. Not sure if serious. Ferrari changed the strategy to get Vettel in front in Monaco last year. It is too obvious Ferrari are biased towards Vettel. There are so many instances Kimi is getting 2nd class treatment in the team. I do not think Pirelli are or FIA are favoring Mercedes. Pirelli are simply incompetent IMHO. FIA sure wants to make a good show and therefore interesting championship. Most people I think are bored of Hamilton and Mercedes wins anyways so I am not sure there is any favoritism towards them

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:56 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

lol. Not sure if serious. Ferrari changed the strategy to get Vettel in front in Monaco last year.

Clueless.

It’s not Ferrari’s fault that Vettel was faster on old tyres than Raikkonen was on new tyres.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:46 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
It seems to me Liberty have gone to Sky because they are the only ones left standing

I think the US has lost its bespoke coverage and Australia has used the UK commentators, well, for ever really. If i'm wrong about that let me know

I can't see Sky changing their British 'patriotic' message any time soon. It's their shtick, their DNA. Isn't the whole Murdoch empire a bit jingoistic with a sort of paternalism?

If i was to say i think Sky + Liberty is a marriage of convenience and not one which is fundamentally meant to last

Yeah that's correct but people are going on like Sky are the first mob to do this?

Murray Walker wasn't called the president of the Nigel Mansell fan club for nothing and each race he'd specifically highlight how the British drivers were performing.

They're a British broadcaster broadcasting first and foremost to a British audience. They have 1 British driver competing predominately against a German, a Dutchman, an Australian & 2 Fins for race wins and the championship.

From what I've heard the Dutch media do the same with Verstappen, & I know the Australian media do likewise with Ricciardo.

Those are local feeds. Sky is an international feed, unfortunately.

Sky is a local feed made for the british market, the fact other providers choose to buy it in for their teritories rather than make there own shouldn't influence that as far as I'm concerned.
If you watch an imported feed and don't like it complain to your provider.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:48 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Some conclusions of mine:

- Looks like Mercedes got things right, Hamilton has a clear way to the title.
- Ferrari is capable of bringing a good car for the begging of the season, but neither in-season upgrades work, nor luck comes to help.
- Mclaren came with much anticipated update, and a rookie in Sauber was keeping Alonso honest for 40 odd lap, and they got lapped in a race. Disaster. They should rename the team not to soil the good name anymore.
- Where is that hypes and praised "best driver available" that is not recognized by the F1 after his podium in Baku? There he is developing another capability - of being invisible.
- RBR is not a top team. An odd victory after chaotic race is not enough.
- Stroll actually had a good race, shame that he missed that one point.
- Sirotkin is a poor driver.
- So is Grosjean, although his luck seems to terrible also.
- And Hartley.
- Which opens three places for Wehrlein to come back. He dully has beaten Ericcsonn...
- ...who in return get's beaten by the rookie Leclerc. Which shall open another driving spot soon.
- Renault needs to work on that engine day and night.

'Where is that hypes and praised "best driver available" that is not recognized by the F1 after his podium in Baku? There he is developing another capability - of being invisible' - no comprende

"It's criminal Perez is overlooked by top teams"
"Perez F1's most underrated driver"

Well, he was invisible in the Spain. That's my point.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:12 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Some conclusions of mine:

- Looks like Mercedes got things right, Hamilton has a clear way to the title.
- Ferrari is capable of bringing a good car for the begging of the season, but neither in-season upgrades work, nor luck comes to help.
- Mclaren came with much anticipated update, and a rookie in Sauber was keeping Alonso honest for 40 odd lap, and they got lapped in a race. Disaster. They should rename the team not to soil the good name anymore.
- Where is that hypes and praised "best driver available" that is not recognized by the F1 after his podium in Baku? There he is developing another capability - of being invisible.
- RBR is not a top team. An odd victory after chaotic race is not enough.
- Stroll actually had a good race, shame that he missed that one point.
- Sirotkin is a poor driver.
- So is Grosjean, although his luck seems to terrible also.
- And Hartley.
- Which opens three places for Wehrlein to come back. He dully has beaten Ericcsonn...
- ...who in return get's beaten by the rookie Leclerc. Which shall open another driving spot soon.
- Renault needs to work on that engine day and night.

'Where is that hypes and praised "best driver available" that is not recognized by the F1 after his podium in Baku? There he is developing another capability - of being invisible' - no comprende

"It's criminal Perez is overlooked by top teams"
"Perez F1's most underrated driver"

Well, he was invisible in the Spain. That's my point.

Perez drove well in Spain. He and Ocon both have the fatal problem in F1. A team with a car slower than people are used to and a strong team mate. It's a guarantee to be ignored. Look at the plaudits's Leclerc is getting for similar results.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:24 pm 

dompclarke wrote:
Sky is a local feed made for the british market, the fact other providers choose to buy it in for their teritories rather than make there own shouldn't influence that as far as I'm concerned.

Sky is the commentary that is used in the race highlight videos by the official Formula 1 channel on YouTube. Sky is also the commentary used by Formula 1's official twitter page. They are the global feed on F1, and also a Hamilton fanboy club.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:26 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

Sky is the commentary that is used in the race highlight videos by the official Formula 1 channel on YouTube. They are the global feed on F1, and also a Hamilton fanboy club.

F1 using them on the official feed is again nothing to do with the market it is made for. F1 buy it off the British broadcaster, Sky don't make it for the F1 channel.
Who Sky are a fanboy of or aren't is irrelevant to the argument

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:30 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

Sky is the commentary that is used in the race highlight videos by the official Formula 1 channel on YouTube. Sky is also the commentary used by Formula 1's official twitter page. They are the global feed on F1, and also a Hamilton fanboy club.

It's made for the British market. That is the core market.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 pm 

dompclarke wrote:
F1 using them on the official feed is again nothing to do with the market it is made for. F1 buy it off the British broadcaster, Sky don't make it for the F1 channel.

Sky pays F1 for broadcasting rights, not the other way around. F1 have chosen Sky as their global feed. All the official highlight videos on YouTube and Twitter use Sky commentary. None of them use C4 or any other channel.

Sky being Hamilton fanboys is very relevant to the argument. They spread anti-Ferrari propaganda to the masses.

Last edited by KingVoid on Mon May 14, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:39 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

Sky pays F1 for broadcasting rights, not the other way around. F1 have chosen Sky as their global feed. All the official highlight videos on YouTube and Twitter use Sky commentary. None of them use RTL, C4 or any other channel.

Sky being Hamilton fanboys is very relevant to the argument. They spread anti-Ferrari propaganda to the masses.

Yes Sky pay for broadcasting rights, to broadcast to the British market. Should the British not be allowed a broadcast aimed at that market because others (including F1 themselves) choose to use their broadcast?
If there are problems with the feeds using British aimed content then those choosing to use it should either make their own or go elsewhere.

Anyway this is well off thread so I'm leaving it here so as not to irritate the mods anymore, feel free to PM me or start another thread for it if you wish

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

Sky pays F1 for broadcasting rights, not the other way around. F1 have chosen Sky as their global feed. All the official highlight videos on YouTube and Twitter use Sky commentary. None of them use C4 or any other channel.

I feel you're criticism should be directed at FOM rather than Sky. Sky pay them not the other way around.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 pm 

Again, Sky does not just broadcast to Britain. They broadcast all over the world. Their commentary is also used in all official videos published by Formula 1. They are not a normal local feed like Ziggo.

The question is about whether or not Sky, Formula 1's global commentators, should feel an obligation to at least pretend to be unbiased and not have an agenda. Channel 4 is solely a British feed, and yet they do a far better job hiding their bias than Sky does.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:49 pm 

I haven’t heard the Italian commentary on F1, but I imagine they are very biased towards Ferrari. That’s just what happens, so sky are naturally going to support the British drivers... I think they do a great job with their F1 commentary.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:50 pm 

dompclarke wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

Sky pays F1 for broadcasting rights, not the other way around. F1 have chosen Sky as their global feed. All the official highlight videos on YouTube and Twitter use Sky commentary. None of them use RTL, C4 or any other channel.

Yes Sky pay for broadcasting rights, to broadcast to the British market. Should the British not be allowed a broadcast aimed at that market because others (including F1 themselves) choose to use their broadcast?
If there are problems with the feeds using British aimed content then those choosing to use it should either make their own or go elsewhere.

Anyway this is well off thread so I'm leaving it here so as not to irritate the mods anymore, feel free to PM me or start another thread for it if you wish

You are debating against someone who can't just admit their wrong. It's pretty obvious Sky broadcast to the UK and it's others to choose whether they use their commentary in YouTube or whatever it may be. Sky have every right to be biased towards British drivers as they broadcast to people like me who pay for Sky. It's the same for football and England and tennis with Murray.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

Last edited by F1_Ernie on Mon May 14, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:53 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
Again, Sky does not just broadcast to Britain. They broadcast all over the world. Their commentary is also used in all official videos published by Formula 1. They are not a normal local feed like Ziggo.

The question is about whether or not Sky, Formula 1's global commentators, should feel an obligation to at least pretend to be unbiased and not have an agenda. Channel 4 is solely a British feed, and yet they do a far better job hiding their bias than Sky does.

They pay to be the local feed. If FOM chose to use it as well then that's by the by. The core market is the British market.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:58 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
They pay to be the local feed. If FOM chose to use it as well then that's by the by. The core market is the British market.

Channel 4 only shows F1 locally (unlike Sky) and yet they do a much better job of hiding their bias.

Webber and Coulthard both seem to get along with Vettel so that might be a reason why.

David Croft's embarrassing attempts to be funny whenever Kimi is in front of Seb are insulting to the intelligence of the average Brit.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:00 pm 

Sky Sports F1 is a television channel created exclusively for Sky's UK and Ireland coverage of Formula One, with Sky having a package of rights from the 2012 season to the 2024 season.[1] From 2019 to 2024, Sky Sports F1 will have the exclusive rights to broadcast Formula 1 live in the UK and Ireland, and will sub-licence highlights of all races and qualifying sessions plus the British Grand Prix live on a free-to-air basis. Since 2017, Sky Sports F1 has broadcast Formula 1 in 4K UHD.[2]

Can we finish this now.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:25 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Channel 4 only shows F1 locally (unlike Sky) and yet they do a much better job of hiding their bias.

Webber and Coulthard both seem to get along with Vettel so that might be a reason why.

David Croft's embarrassing attempts to be funny whenever Kimi is in front of Seb are insulting to the intelligence of the average Brit.

I don't really see what your point is with this? Sky pitch to their audience as they see fit and C4 do the same for theirs.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:44 pm 

Sky is a British broadcaster first and foremost. That is their job, and how they present their broadcasts is their prerogative.

If anyone else, be that another country's broadcaster or FOM themselves, chooses to then re-use footage that they have the right to use [foreign broadcasters presumably by paying Sky for the privilege, FOM because I'm fairly sure that each host broadcaster's coverage ultimately belongs to them under the terms of the rights] then that is their choice, nothing to do with Sky. I highly doubt FOM pay Sky for the use of their clips, especially as it's already advertising Sky's coverage over everyone else's. If anything, I'd expect Sky to pay more for the rights to ensure FOM uses their commentary rather than another broadcaster's.

I hope that clarifies the facts of the situation, and also gives a wider overview of how the deals most likely work. Now, if you could all keep it on topic from now on, that would be appreciated. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, set up another thread or dig out the old Sky one.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:15 pm 

Quote:
Ferrari would’ve been “worse off” on Pirelli’s original tyres, Vettel admits:

https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/15/thi ... el-admits/

I guess we can put this tire debacle to bed now.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:20 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:22 pm 

Clarky wrote:
Quote:

well that's just...strange. If not the tyres, wonder why Ferrari/Seb were so much poorer at tyre management here than anywhere else

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:49 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Quote:

well that's just...strange. If not the tyres, wonder why Ferrari/Seb were so much poorer at tyre management here than anywhere else

Good on Vettel for coming out and saying that. I guess the track just doesn't suit them? It would explain why Mercedes were so much further ahead in testing than we have seen in races.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:39 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Quote:

i've got it, all the extra aero from the mirrors has over heated the tires rendering them useless. :nod:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:13 pm 

Clarky wrote:
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.

Good :thumbup:

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:15 pm 

Johnson wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Just saw a rerun of Vettel's pit stop and it looks like they struggled to get the right rear on. Cost him easily more than a second, maybe two, which would have brought him out in front of Max. Mitigates the decision a bit, but still a very risky move

According to Vettel he ran out of tyres even though he 2 stopped, so a 1 stop probably would have been a disaster and 5th place.

possibly, but he was in dirty air for much of the stint, which undoubtedly caused more wear. He's normally very good at managing his tyres and Ferrari aren't normally that heavy on them. Strange, really

Its kind of gone under the radar but the Mercedes has been much better on its tyres than the Ferrari this year. The opposite to last year. Bottas also spent the first stint in dirty air, no problem.

Yeah it's kind of strange how some have not twigged that, Ferrari being the better qualifying car whilst Mercedes is better on its tyres during the race.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:17 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.

Strikes me as a little unfair. He spun and other people crashed into him. What does giving him a penalty achieve and what rules did he break?

By being an idiot and trying to spin turn his car in the middle of a pack of cars perhaps?