planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:31 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 1738
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Invade wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Invade wrote:
Bottas was fine but Hamilton pounded out a huge lead at the start whereas Bottas struggled to cling onto Vettel, needing several laps to begin to haul him in. Overall, Ham was significantly faster than Bottas today.

Unless we hear different from Mercedes, I can't really disagree with this. Bottas was vertually always within 2 seconds of Vettel. And constantly kept getting himself back into DRS range. Given how many other cars struggled behind others, I think it was just that the dirty air affecting Bottas. Even Ericsson on old tyres with Sainz and Leclerc behind him on new just couldn't get past him.

Vettel just had a better start. Bottas did what he needed to which was to perform when Vettel pitted. This lap was just a fraction off Hamilton's fastest. Then Bottas had a 3.9 second stop. 1.4 slower than Vettel and he only just came out behind. Then got stuck again. I don't think Bottas exactly struggled today. He was just stuck behind too long and then had to manage his tyres when they were over 40 laps old.


I guess you mean you can't really agree, not disagree.

No, I definitely think Bottas did a fine job. He didn't struggle.

Yes, my mistake. All my point was really is that I don't think Hamilton was actually that much faster than Bottas. Even near the end of the race when Bottas was struggling, hamilton wasn't pulling away really fast. And Bottas's tyres were a lot older. It was that and Bottas's lap when he was in free air earlier in the race that made me question if Hamilton was actually that much better. Especially when we think about practice and qualifying differences.


Well I can't be sure, but what I do know is that Hamilton had a very good performance and Bottas is a very competitive teammate, so the performance of the Mercedes car and Bottas continue to bode well. He is comfortably able to fight for wins even against Vettel and the Ferrari package.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
In comparing today's performance to what we may see in Monaco is there any sense to that?

I don't know, but i don't see many correlations between Barcelona and Monaco

Last year is live in the memory and that is what i will judge it against


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: LONDON...!
jiminwatford wrote:
Lazenby just said it was a home race for most, if not all of the drivers

WTF?

Was he not talking about Monaco and how many drivers live there...???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 1738
jiminwatford wrote:
In comparing today's performance to what we may see in Monaco is there any sense to that?

I don't know, but i don't see many correlations between Barcelona and Monaco

Last year is live in the memory and that is what i will judge it against

Performance in qualifying and on the day is what counts


Well looking at last year Bottas was close to Ferrari and Red Bull were still not quite on the pace in qualifying, but I've seen rumblings over the last days of Mercedes perhaps being the weakest of the three in Monaco. I'd just say it's all up in the air because the gaps also at Spain last year were similar to this year but Ferrari now have a much longer wheelbase and Mercedes were already almost as quick in the hands of Bottas. So I don't see anything to confidently conclude that Mercedes will be the weakest of the three in Monaco.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: LONDON...!
KingVoid wrote:
At least a Hamilton win will make Pirelli happy and they might not have a secret 1000 km test after the race this time.

Shock comment...!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
Invade wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
In comparing today's performance to what we may see in Monaco is there any sense to that?

I don't know, but i don't see many correlations between Barcelona and Monaco

Last year is live in the memory and that is what i will judge it against

Performance in qualifying and on the day is what counts


Well looking at last year Bottas was close to Ferrari and Red Bull were still not quite on the pace in qualifying, but I've seen rumblings over the last days of Mercedes perhaps being the weakest of the three in Monaco. I'd just say it's all up in the air because the gaps also at Spain last year were similar to this year but Ferrari now have a much longer wheelbase and Mercedes were already almost as quick in the hands of Bottas. So I don't see anything to confidently conclude that Mercedes will be the weakest of the three in Monaco.


Yeh, i haven't got a clue and i look forward to seeing who pulls it out the bag

I don't have the insight to know who may do what, i mean it's pretty unique around Monaco, isn't it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 3311
Invade wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
In comparing today's performance to what we may see in Monaco is there any sense to that?

I don't know, but i don't see many correlations between Barcelona and Monaco

Last year is live in the memory and that is what i will judge it against

Performance in qualifying and on the day is what counts


Well looking at last year Bottas was close to Ferrari and Red Bull were still not quite on the pace in qualifying, but I've seen rumblings over the last days of Mercedes perhaps being the weakest of the three in Monaco. I'd just say it's all up in the air because the gaps also at Spain last year were similar to this year but Ferrari now have a much longer wheelbase and Mercedes were already almost as quick in the hands of Bottas. So I don't see anything to confidently conclude that Mercedes will be the weakest of the three in Monaco.


Yeah, there is also the Hypersoft tire making its debut. Who will have the advantage on that tire is completely unknown, probably to the teams themselves too.


Last edited by kleefton on Sun May 13, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm
Posts: 643
Clarky wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
At least a Hamilton win will make Pirelli happy and they might not have a secret 1000 km test after the race this time.

Shock comment...!!!


Someone seems to be a very little bit bitter lol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
Clarky wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
Lazenby just said it was a home race for most, if not all of the drivers

WTF?

Was he not talking about Monaco and how many drivers live there...???


That would make sense

I can't rewatch to make sure


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 4450
Some conclusions of mine:

- Looks like Mercedes got things right, Hamilton has a clear way to the title.
- Ferrari is capable of bringing a good car for the begging of the season, but neither in-season upgrades work, nor luck comes to help.
- Mclaren came with much anticipated update, and a rookie in Sauber was keeping Alonso honest for 40 odd lap, and they got lapped in a race. Disaster. They should rename the team not to soil the good name anymore.
- Where is that hypes and praised "best driver available" that is not recognized by the F1 after his podium in Baku? There he is developing another capability - of being invisible.
- RBR is not a top team. An odd victory after chaotic race is not enough.
- Stroll actually had a good race, shame that he missed that one point.
- Sirotkin is a poor driver.
- So is Grosjean, although his luck seems to terrible also.
- And Hartley.
- Which opens three places for Wehrlein to come back. He dully has beaten Ericcsonn...
- ...who in return get's beaten by the rookie Leclerc. Which shall open another driving spot soon.
- Renault needs to work on that engine day and night.

_________________
The end is near


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: LONDON...!
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Some conclusions of mine:

- Looks like Mercedes got things right, Hamilton has a clear way to the title.
- Ferrari is capable of bringing a good car for the begging of the season, but neither in-season upgrades work, nor luck comes to help.
- Mclaren came with much anticipated update, and a rookie in Sauber was keeping Alonso honest for 40 odd lap, and they got lapped in a race. Disaster. They should rename the team not to soil the good name anymore.
- Where is that hypes and praised "best driver available" that is not recognized by the F1 after his podium in Baku? There he is developing another capability - of being invisible.
- RBR is not a top team. An odd victory after chaotic race is not enough.
- Stroll actually had a good race, shame that he missed that one point.
- Sirotkin is a poor driver.
- So is Grosjean, although his luck seems to terrible also.
- And Hartley.
- Which opens three places for Wehrlein to come back. He dully has beaten Ericcsonn...
- ...who in return get's beaten by the rookie Leclerc. Which shall open another driving spot soon.
- Renault needs to work on that engine day and night.


I thought i would look through your points

'Hamilton has a clear way to the title' - if this is true i would be amazed. If, by the end of the season this proves to be correct, come back to me

'Ferrari is capable of bringing a good car for the begging of the season, but neither in-season upgrades work, nor luck comes to help' - initially i didn't understand what you were saying but you mean Ferrari can't develop during a season? I think this remains to be seen. If they hadn't developed between Australia and now i'm not sure they would even be the 2nd team

'Mclaren should rename the team not to soil the good name anymore' - yeh but if you're bad you're bad. Go down with dignity if you are going down, However, i feel Mclaren aren't at this stage yet

'Where is that hypes and praised "best driver available" that is not recognized by the F1 after his podium in Baku? There he is developing another capability - of being invisible' - no comprende

'RBR is not a top team. An odd victory after chaotic race is not enough.' - meh, not really true. They are definitely top three. Well above whoever is fourth. They have the resources and will to be up there. Although i will say, this weekend it occured to me their four consecutive championshps are beginning to feel more like history rather than current

'Sirotkin is a poor driver' - no idea, put him in a good car (with a good team mate) and we'll see

'Grojean is also a bad driver' - you might be right

'So is Hartley' - I'm not sure. I think his experience lies elsewhere. I think he is struggling to adapt to F1. I think me may have left it too late to bring himself to F1

'Wehrlein could replace any of these three' - Maybe, if you feel he had the spark to prove himself above those around him

'Renault needs to work on that engine day and night' - hmm, yes but i'm not sure they can do any more than they are doing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am
Posts: 380
Zoue wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Just saw a rerun of Vettel's pit stop and it looks like they struggled to get the right rear on. Cost him easily more than a second, maybe two, which would have brought him out in front of Max. Mitigates the decision a bit, but still a very risky move


According to Vettel he ran out of tyres even though he 2 stopped, so a 1 stop probably would have been a disaster and 5th place.

possibly, but he was in dirty air for much of the stint, which undoubtedly caused more wear. He's normally very good at managing his tyres and Ferrari aren't normally that heavy on them. Strange, really


Its kind of gone under the radar but the Mercedes has been much better on its tyres than the Ferrari this year. The opposite to last year. Bottas also spent the first stint in dirty air, no problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23227
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Some conclusions of mine:

- Looks like Mercedes got things right, Hamilton has a clear way to the title.
Have you learnt nothing from the season so far? You can't make any kind of predictions on future form based on one race. Everything could change in Monaco


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23227
Johnson wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Just saw a rerun of Vettel's pit stop and it looks like they struggled to get the right rear on. Cost him easily more than a second, maybe two, which would have brought him out in front of Max. Mitigates the decision a bit, but still a very risky move


According to Vettel he ran out of tyres even though he 2 stopped, so a 1 stop probably would have been a disaster and 5th place.

possibly, but he was in dirty air for much of the stint, which undoubtedly caused more wear. He's normally very good at managing his tyres and Ferrari aren't normally that heavy on them. Strange, really


Its kind of gone under the radar but the Mercedes has been much better on its tyres than the Ferrari this year. The opposite to last year. Bottas also spent the first stint in dirty air, no problem.

yeah I'd agree. But the extent of wear Vettel had is still a little surprising


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:48 pm
Posts: 478
Clarky wrote:
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.

Wasn't he already on 0 points before this race? I think I heard someone say that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 13768
Clarky wrote:
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.


Strikes me as a little unfair. He spun and other people crashed into him. What does giving him a penalty achieve and what rules did he break?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5020
mikeyg123 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.


Strikes me as a little unfair. He spun and other people crashed into him. What does giving him a penalty achieve and what rules did he break?

He kept his foot in it way too long; otherwise he would have gone off track to the left and not taken so many cars out. It was unsafe driving and he just generally gets it wrong too often. Just because they were overly weak on Max, that doesn't mean they should be weak on everyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23227
mikeyg123 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.


Strikes me as a little unfair. He spun and other people crashed into him. What does giving him a penalty achieve and what rules did he break?

I agree that Grosjean is copping a bit of unfair flack for the spin, as it's clear he was avoiding his team mate who had a wobble in front of him. But it probably has something to do with his recent mishaps, too, which may have coloured judgement a little. Also, him keeping his foot planted and burning rubber undoubtedly contributed to the subsequent accidents, as no-one could see anything, so he's likely getting punished for that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:38 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7220
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.


Strikes me as a little unfair. He spun and other people crashed into him. What does giving him a penalty achieve and what rules did he break?

I agree that Grosjean is copping a bit of unfair flack for the spin, as it's clear he was avoiding his team mate who had a wobble in front of him. But it probably has something to do with his recent mishaps, too, which may have coloured judgement a little. Also, him keeping his foot planted and burning rubber undoubtedly contributed to the subsequent accidents, as no-one could see anything, so he's likely getting punished for that

He didn't keep his foot flat though. He wasn't on the throttle at all and the when he was halfway around he floored it, I said at the time I had no idea what he expected that to do and it seems he expected pretty much what happened:
Quote:
"The driver explained to the stewards that he felt that his momentum was going to carry him to the center of the track, and therefore made the decision to apply power in an attempt to cross to the right side of the track and get out of the way of the cars behind," said the stewards' statement.

"The stewards found that while it is speculation as to where the driver's car would have ended up had he chosen other alternatives, it is certain that while crossing the track in front of the following pack of cars, which he chose to do, that a collision occurred.

"Further, in reviewing the video, the stewards found that the car was following the line on the left side of the track and was almost fully off the track, when he made the decision to cross it."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gros ... o-1037215/

He made a conscious decision to try and cross the track from the left hand side over to the right, while in a pack of cars and halfway through a spin. I'm not surprised he got a big penalty, that was an unbelievably stupid thing to try and do. Undoubtedly he wasn't thinking straight in the heat of the moment but that's not an excuse at this level.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23227
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.


Strikes me as a little unfair. He spun and other people crashed into him. What does giving him a penalty achieve and what rules did he break?

I agree that Grosjean is copping a bit of unfair flack for the spin, as it's clear he was avoiding his team mate who had a wobble in front of him. But it probably has something to do with his recent mishaps, too, which may have coloured judgement a little. Also, him keeping his foot planted and burning rubber undoubtedly contributed to the subsequent accidents, as no-one could see anything, so he's likely getting punished for that

He didn't keep his foot flat though. He wasn't on the throttle at all and the when he was halfway around he floored it, I said at the time I had no idea what he expected that to do and it seems he expected pretty much what happened:
Quote:
"The driver explained to the stewards that he felt that his momentum was going to carry him to the center of the track, and therefore made the decision to apply power in an attempt to cross to the right side of the track and get out of the way of the cars behind," said the stewards' statement.

"The stewards found that while it is speculation as to where the driver's car would have ended up had he chosen other alternatives, it is certain that while crossing the track in front of the following pack of cars, which he chose to do, that a collision occurred.

"Further, in reviewing the video, the stewards found that the car was following the line on the left side of the track and was almost fully off the track, when he made the decision to cross it."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gros ... o-1037215/

He made a conscious decision to try and cross the track from the left hand side over to the right, while in a pack of cars and halfway through a spin. I'm not surprised he got a big penalty, that was an unbelievably stupid thing to try and do. Undoubtedly he wasn't thinking straight in the heat of the moment but that's not an excuse at this level.

yeah, that's what I meant. Probably didn't put it across too well!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 13768
Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.


Strikes me as a little unfair. He spun and other people crashed into him. What does giving him a penalty achieve and what rules did he break?

I agree that Grosjean is copping a bit of unfair flack for the spin, as it's clear he was avoiding his team mate who had a wobble in front of him. But it probably has something to do with his recent mishaps, too, which may have coloured judgement a little. Also, him keeping his foot planted and burning rubber undoubtedly contributed to the subsequent accidents, as no-one could see anything, so he's likely getting punished for that

He didn't keep his foot flat though. He wasn't on the throttle at all and the when he was halfway around he floored it, I said at the time I had no idea what he expected that to do and it seems he expected pretty much what happened:
Quote:
"The driver explained to the stewards that he felt that his momentum was going to carry him to the center of the track, and therefore made the decision to apply power in an attempt to cross to the right side of the track and get out of the way of the cars behind," said the stewards' statement.

"The stewards found that while it is speculation as to where the driver's car would have ended up had he chosen other alternatives, it is certain that while crossing the track in front of the following pack of cars, which he chose to do, that a collision occurred.

"Further, in reviewing the video, the stewards found that the car was following the line on the left side of the track and was almost fully off the track, when he made the decision to cross it."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gros ... o-1037215/

He made a conscious decision to try and cross the track from the left hand side over to the right, while in a pack of cars and halfway through a spin. I'm not surprised he got a big penalty, that was an unbelievably stupid thing to try and do. Undoubtedly he wasn't thinking straight in the heat of the moment but that's not an excuse at this level.

yeah, that's what I meant. Probably didn't put it across too well!


Ahhh ok, so it was for the action after rather than the spin. That makes more sense.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6244
Location: Mumbai, India
Grosjean handed 3 place grid penalty & 2 penalty points on his license:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44103374

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9240
UnlikeUday wrote:
Grosjean handed 3 place grid penalty & 2 penalty points on his license:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44103374

It´s what´s being discussed right above your post :?

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 153
For most of this new still quite new season it has felt like Ferrari's first drivers title since 2007 was likely. Despite a fair amount of misfortune for both drivers, the pace has been strong amd Vettel has looked at his very best.

Now it's not looking so likely. It's only one race of course but that was a little bit of a drubbing. Things look to habe fallen into place at Merc (perhaps Pirelli's choices have helped).

Charles Leclerc looks to have warmed to the task really well. Ferrari will be looking for him to give Ericsson a thorough drubbing, beat him far more handily week in week out than Pascal did. We are starting to see that happen, it was a huge margin in qualifying and a very significant gap in the race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
BMWSauber84 wrote:
For most of this new still quite new season it has felt like Ferrari's first drivers title since 2007 was likely. Despite a fair amount of misfortune for both drivers, the pace has been strong amd Vettel has looked at his very best.

Now it's not looking so likely. It's only one race of course but that was a little bit of a drubbing. Things look to habe fallen into place at Merc (perhaps Pirelli's choices have helped).

Charles Leclerc looks to have warmed to the task really well. Ferrari will be looking for him to give Ericsson a thorough drubbing, beat him far more handily week in week out than Pascal did. We are starting to see that happen, it was a huge margin in qualifying and a very significant gap in the race.


Maybe, but if Ferrari fight back it could be one of the more exciting seasons of recent years

There are so many races left and 'we' don't know what each car is going to do at each track

I'm afraid it doesn't look like Red Bull will be a title challenger but i can't tell whether Ferrari or Mercedes have the edge


Last edited by jiminwatford on Sun May 13, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
Ocon wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.

Wasn't he already on 0 points before this race? I think I heard someone say that.


Unless someone else has said it, the penalty points apply to the driver's licence and not their world championship score

Although putting him on -3 might be amusing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
i think this is one of those fairly rare occasions where what people see as a driver behaving like an idiot actually results in a penalty

Although it could be that Romain Grosjean is such a tool that it is obvious


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
I would like to know Romain Grosjean in real life just don't bring him anywhere near my family :D


Last edited by jiminwatford on Sun May 13, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2179
What amazes me is just how much this tyre change from Pirelli has gone under the radar. If the situations were reversed and Ferrari dominated like this after Pirelli changed the tyre compound, no doubt that Sky would be crying all race long. They were crying all race long at Monaco last year when Vettel beat Raikkonen on merit.

Sky are pathetic and useless all around, it’s a shame that they provide coverage for most of the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
Obviously i don't know the ins and outs, but i'm not sure Sky provides the coverage for most of the world

I think it is more of a case that their coverage is bought by a lot of the (English speaking) world

I don't think Sky (UK) designed their service to cater for essentially all English speaking countries but as domestic broadcasters have fallen out Sky have taken their place

Does this not make sense?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2179
Sky commentary is used in the race highlight videos on the official F1 channel.

They see everything through pro-Hamilton anti-Ferrari goggles and shamelessly push their agenda.


Last edited by KingVoid on Sun May 13, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
In my massively humble opinion, Grosjean has sealed any talk of him possibly moving to Ferrari Evar

To throttle down in that situation and then have to admit it didn't work smacks of a man of idiotic proportions (in F1 terms)

I'm sure he is a lovely fella and all that but isn't he into cooking? Let him get on with that and leave F1 to the top 10% of the world's drivers, or whatever they are supposed to be


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
KingVoid wrote:
Sky commentary is used in the race highlight videos on the official F1 channel.

They see everything through pro-Hamilton anti-Ferrari goggles and shamelessly push their agenda.


Do you mind me asking where you come from & what team / driver you support?

My guess is that you want the F1 channel to be wholly independent and unbiased in any direction?

I would agree. But they (F1) choose to use Sky so IMO are responsible for what comes out

My guess is Sky are responsible first and foremost to the direct subscribers (Joe Public) and if extra bodies want to buy their service then fine by them


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 5565
Location: Michigan, USA
jiminwatford wrote:
I would agree. But they (F1) choose to use Sky so IMO are responsible for what comes out

My guess is Sky are responsible first and foremost to the direct subscribers (Joe Public) and if extra bodies want to buy their service then fine by them

You don't think the knowledge that their feed is going to be used by the entire world through F1 TV has any effect on their contract and/or obligations? I think it won't take long before the number of people who watch their feed worldwide for one reason or another greatly outnumbers the people who actually watch their channel in the UK.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (3 wins, 12 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
Exediron wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
I would agree. But they (F1) choose to use Sky so IMO are responsible for what comes out

My guess is Sky are responsible first and foremost to the direct subscribers (Joe Public) and if extra bodies want to buy their service then fine by them

You don't think the knowledge that their feed is going to be used by the entire world through F1 TV has any effect on their contract and/or obligations? I think it won't take long before the number of people who watch their feed worldwide for one reason or another greatly outnumbers the people who actually watch their channel in the UK.


I think if that will be the case that they become an 'international' broadcaster then their tone may change. IMO they have sold their product but not the right to influence it - yet!

I'm sure if they signed a deal in which they had to appeal to all nations then they would become more general and less specific

Obviously i don't know if they would do this as they are fundamentally a British broadcaster. I mean they would have to decide whether it is worth their while adjusting their message to reduce the UKness to cover, what, the whole English speaking world?

Personally i would be surprised if Sky did this. I don't know what their operational theory is but if i was to guess i think they'd rather pull out than supply the whole world

I think F1 needs to get their own team up and running and basically operate independently. Get their own non-geographic team going


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 404
It seems to me Liberty have gone to Sky because they are the only ones left standing

I think the US has lost its bespoke coverage and Australia has used the UK commentators, well, for ever really. If i'm wrong about that let me know

I can't see Sky changing their British 'patriotic' message any time soon. It's their shtick, their DNA. Isn't the whole Murdoch empire a bit jingoistic with a sort of paternalism?

If i was to say i think Sky + Liberty is a marriage of convenience and not one which is fundamentally meant to last


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 259
Location: Kansas
KingVoid wrote:
What amazes me is just how much this tyre change from Pirelli has gone under the radar. If the situations were reversed and Ferrari dominated like this after Pirelli changed the tyre compound, no doubt that Sky would be crying all race long. They were crying all race long at Monaco last year when Vettel beat Raikkonen on merit.

Sky are pathetic and useless all around, it’s a shame that they provide coverage for most of the world.


Enjoy your sour grapes there bucko! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 1242
Location: Far side of Koozebane
jiminwatford wrote:
It seems to me Liberty have gone to Sky because they are the only ones left standing

I think the US has lost its bespoke coverage and Australia has used the UK commentators, well, for ever really. If i'm wrong about that let me know

I can't see Sky changing their British 'patriotic' message any time soon. It's their shtick, their DNA. Isn't the whole Murdoch empire a bit jingoistic with a sort of paternalism?

If i was to say i think Sky + Liberty is a marriage of convenience and not one which is fundamentally meant to last


Yeah that's correct but people are going on like Sky are the first mob to do this?

Murray Walker wasn't called the president of the Nigel Mansell fan club for nothing and each race he'd specifically highlight how the British drivers were performing.

They're a British broadcaster broadcasting first and foremost to a British audience. They have 1 British driver competing predominately against a German, a Dutchman, an Australian & 2 Fins for race wins and the championship.

From what I've heard the Dutch media do the same with Verstappen, & I know the Australian media do likewise with Ricciardo.

_________________
Question: If a compulsive liar tells you they're a compulsive liar, are they really a compulsive liar?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2179
Jezza13 wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
It seems to me Liberty have gone to Sky because they are the only ones left standing

I think the US has lost its bespoke coverage and Australia has used the UK commentators, well, for ever really. If i'm wrong about that let me know

I can't see Sky changing their British 'patriotic' message any time soon. It's their shtick, their DNA. Isn't the whole Murdoch empire a bit jingoistic with a sort of paternalism?

If i was to say i think Sky + Liberty is a marriage of convenience and not one which is fundamentally meant to last


Yeah that's correct but people are going on like Sky are the first mob to do this?

Murray Walker wasn't called the president of the Nigel Mansell fan club for nothing and each race he'd specifically highlight how the British drivers were performing.

They're a British broadcaster broadcasting first and foremost to a British audience. They have 1 British driver competing predominately against a German, a Dutchman, an Australian & 2 Fins for race wins and the championship.

From what I've heard the Dutch media do the same with Verstappen, & I know the Australian media do likewise with Ricciardo.

Those are local feeds. Sky is an international feed, unfortunately.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], IDrinkYourMilkshake and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group