All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:18 pm 

Clarky wrote:
Quote:
Ferrari would’ve been “worse off” on Pirelli’s original tyres, Vettel admits:

https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/15/thi ... el-admits/

I guess we can put this tire debacle to bed now.

I don't know. Disgusting that Ferrari were given the opportunity to test both tyres sets after their struggles at the weekend so they can understand how to fix the issues. Don't understand why there is not more fuss about this :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:19 pm 

shoot999 wrote:

Alright I'm going to change my mind on what I wrote yesterday.

I admit being wrong.

Spoiler (click to show)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:19 am 

KingVoid wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
What amazes me is just how much this tyre change from Pirelli has gone under the radar. If the situations were reversed and Ferrari dominated like this after Pirelli changed the tyre compound, no doubt that Sky would be crying all race long. They were crying all race long at Monaco last year when Vettel beat Raikkonen on merit.

Sky are pathetic and useless all around, it’s a shame that they provide coverage for most of the world.

lol. Not sure if serious. Ferrari changed the strategy to get Vettel in front in Monaco last year.

Clueless.

It’s not Ferrari’s fault that Vettel was faster on old tyres than Raikkonen was on new tyres.

It was completely intentional. They were well ahead of other so it was going to be 1-2 anyways. Usually the lead driver should get to decide when to come and more often than not his team mate is called in next lap. However that did not happen. Kimi was not aware what Ferrari was upto.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 am 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.

Strikes me as a little unfair. He spun and other people crashed into him. What does giving him a penalty achieve and what rules did he break?

By being an idiot and trying to spin turn his car in the middle of a pack of cars perhaps?

If he'd not of hit the loud pedal creating a cloud of smoke while launching the car across the track, but instead lifted and most likely stayed on the run off or at least the outside of the track cars could more likely have seen what was going on and avoided him to a greater degree.
Think the smokescreen was the biggest issue, would be a lot different later in the race when only one or two cars would be about.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:37 am 

KingVoid wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
It seems to me Liberty have gone to Sky because they are the only ones left standing

I think the US has lost its bespoke coverage and Australia has used the UK commentators, well, for ever really. If i'm wrong about that let me know

I can't see Sky changing their British 'patriotic' message any time soon. It's their shtick, their DNA. Isn't the whole Murdoch empire a bit jingoistic with a sort of paternalism?

If i was to say i think Sky + Liberty is a marriage of convenience and not one which is fundamentally meant to last

Yeah that's correct but people are going on like Sky are the first mob to do this?

Murray Walker wasn't called the president of the Nigel Mansell fan club for nothing and each race he'd specifically highlight how the British drivers were performing.

They're a British broadcaster broadcasting first and foremost to a British audience. They have 1 British driver competing predominately against a German, a Dutchman, an Australian & 2 Fins for race wins and the championship.

From what I've heard the Dutch media do the same with Verstappen, & I know the Australian media do likewise with Ricciardo.

Those are local feeds. Sky is an international feed, unfortunately.

Only because it seems that other countries will not cough up the money, Sky is predominantly funded by the UK public and that is their key audience, they are not set up as being an international broadcaster that's sort of being fostered on to them.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 9th

Win: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podium: 2nd Barcelona 2018 and Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:42 am 

dompclarke wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Grosjean has been given a 3 place grid drop for the Monaco GP for causing the first lap collision as well as given 3 penalty points.

Strikes me as a little unfair. He spun and other people crashed into him. What does giving him a penalty achieve and what rules did he break?

By being an idiot and trying to spin turn his car in the middle of a pack of cars perhaps?

If he'd not of hit the loud pedal creating a cloud of smoke while launching the car across the track, but instead lifted and most likely stayed on the run off or at least the outside of the track cars could more likely have seen what was going on and avoided him to a greater degree.
Think the smokescreen was the biggest issue, would be a lot different later in the race when only one or two cars would be about.

What I heard said about Grosjean is that he basically panicked about losing positions and so tried to do a quick spin turn, at that moment his brain turned into a jelly.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 9th

Win: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podium: 2nd Barcelona 2018 and Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:10 pm 

Mercedes say Bottas was lucky to make it and ran out of tyres at the end but they decided to risk it. But why didn't they pit him on the 2nd lap of the VSC knowing that Vettel had already pitted, it was a free pit stop.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:06 pm 

Johnson wrote:
Mercedes say Bottas was lucky to make it and ran out of tyres at the end but they decided to risk it. But why didn't they pit him on the 2nd lap of the VSC knowing that Vettel had already pitted, it was a free pit stop.

Mercedes seem to be a bit passive when it comes to pit stops under the safety car and VSC. Maybe it stems from some rather glaring errors that they have made woth those sort of pit stops in the past.

There have been a fair few occasions over the last couple of years where they have essentially turned down free pitstops.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:20 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Mercedes seem to be a bit passive when it comes to pit stops under the safety car and VSC. Maybe it stems from some rather glaring errors that they have made woth those sort of pit stops in the past.

There have been a fair few occasions over the last couple of years where they have essentially turned down free pitstops.

It might have something to do with what they thought would be a free pitstop a few years back in Monaco that turned out to be anything but...

Free stuff is good, but if you don't need it there's still no reason to get it just because it's free. A pit stop - any pit stop - invites the possibility of something changing in the race order. If the current race order has you on top and you don't need to pit, why would you?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:20 pm 

Johnson wrote:

It wasn't a free Pit stop. Bottas was behind Vettel before Vettel pitted.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:46 pm 

Just re watching the race. Ferraris claim Seb's second stop was slow due to holding the car is false. They were still trying to put the wheel on when Perez had passed.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:20 pm 

I am just interested in something I'm reading on racefans (previously named F1 fanatic)

I usually agree with who writes the articles but I think they have seen an overtake that didn't happen. https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/19/201 ... erformers/

After each race, there is an article showing which drivers the author thinks have had races that stand out, or the ones that have really struggled. The thing that confuses me is the description about Sainz. Just asking, did anyone see Sainz overtake Ericsson on track? Basically the main positive point mentioned about Sainz was his apparent "pass" on Ericsson. Erisson hadn't pitted and Sainz came out behind him on lap 26. There was some really good wheel to wheel action, but all I saw was about 4 attempts at turn 1 and 2. The first one, they went wheel to wheel (which is where I think the picture on the site was from) and Sainz makes it fully along side. But Ericsson gets back ahead. 10 laps later after more attempts by Sainz, Ericsson was still ahead. He then pitted on lap 36. But I think that is a pass (described as an overtake) that didn't really happen. Unless pulling alongside and loosing out or overtaking a car that has just pitted counts as a pass. I don't know what anyone else thinks so I would be interested to hear from a few.