It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 12:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:01 pm 

Source - http://www.imgur.com

Source - http://www.imgur.com

Press Conference:
Fernando Alonso (McLaren), Brendon Hartley (Toro Rosso), Sergio Perez (Force India), Carlos Sainz (Renault)

Last edited by UnlikeUday on Wed May 09, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:06 pm 

One of my least favorite tracks but looking forward to this race weekend. Almost all teams will be getting major upgrades & the pecking order will get more defined going into the European leg. McLaren are keeping big hopes pinned on the upgrade they're bringing here.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:10 pm 

0.4mm has been shaved off the surface of the tyres for this weekend at the request of Mercedes. This should help teams that struggle to control tyre temperature.

Let’s see if Mercedes are actually being held back by the tyres, or if Ferrari just have a better chassis.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:26 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
0.4mm has been shaved off the surface of the tyres for this weekend at the request of Mercedes. This should help teams that struggle to control tyre temperature.

Let’s see if Mercedes are actually being held back by the tyres, or if Ferrari just have a better chassis.

Mercedes seem to suffer tyre heating issues rather than overheating issues so far this season. A thinner tread will only hurt them even more.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:28 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
One of my least favorite tracks but looking forward to this race weekend. Almost all teams will be getting major upgrades & the pecking order will get more defined going into the European leg. McLaren are keeping big hopes pinned on the upgrade they're bringing here.

If teams found major errors in their car design during testing then the necessary updates will be used at this race.

At best, Mclaren might become the 4th fastest team.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:28 pm 

Should be an easy Ferrari pole. They'll be 0.3 ahead of Merc.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:49 pm 

davidheath461 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Mercedes seem to suffer tyre heating issues rather than overheating issues so far this season. A thinner tread will only hurt them even more.

Not very bright of them to lobby for this change for Spain,Silverstone and Paul Ricard then was it?

They weren't alone in lobbying apparently but we're getting these tyres because they wanted them and Pirelli agreed so I have trouble imagining they did it even though it would hurt them tbh.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:53 pm 

McLaren slated to bring new...

Nose
Nose deflectors
Bargeboard
Floor
Engine Cover
Front Wing
Rear Wing

AMuS called it a B-Spec and reckon they are all coming in Spain but EB said they'd have updates at Canada and Monaco as well so they could be split.

New fuel and software from Renault as well so if they bring all that and still don't own 4th I'll be very disappointed tbh.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:54 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:

Nose
Nose deflectors
Bargeboard
Floor
Engine Cover
Front Wing
Rear Wing

AMuS called it a B-Spec and reckon they are all coming in Spain but EB said they'd have updates at Canada and Monaco as well so they could be split.

New fuel and software from Renault as well so if they bring all that and still don't own 4th I'll be very disappointed tbh.

I really hope elements start to be interlinked. For example that S duct venting Fernando's feet.

At the same time I do understand them. The parts only work when integrated in a system, and leaving everything at the last moment, means extra development ( when it comes to F1 ).

From what I understood, problems started on the first day of testing, when they realised they had to cut holes in the car. This meant almost total redesign of a lot of parts, as they were not integrating as they should, considering the extra need for venting.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:52 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:

Nose
Nose deflectors
Bargeboard
Floor
Engine Cover
Front Wing
Rear Wing

Let's hope that if all those parts are brought for this weekend or what new parts McLaren do bring substantially help them find some speed as they sure need it. Hopefully they have developed those bargeboards somewhat as in comparison to some of the teams McLarens look very basic to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:52 am 

Lotus49 wrote:

Nose
Nose deflectors
Bargeboard
Floor
Engine Cover
Front Wing
Rear Wing

isn't that everything apart from the steering wheel?! 8O

I am so looking forward to these updates. Also very nervous, tbh. If they don't work in propelling the McLaren forwards then I don't see much hope for them for the rest of the year. And I'd imagine that might just prompt Alonso to chuck in the towel.

But enough doom and gloom. Keeping fingers crossed that this will at least have them at the top of the midfield. Hopefully that's not too much to ask!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:27 am 

Zoue wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Nose
Nose deflectors
Bargeboard
Floor
Engine Cover
Front Wing
Rear Wing

I am so looking forward to these updates. Also very nervous, tbh. If they don't work in propelling the McLaren forwards then I don't see much hope for them for the rest of the year. And I'd imagine that might just prompt Alonso to chuck in the towel.

But enough doom and gloom. Keeping fingers crossed that this will at least have them at the top of the midfield. Hopefully that's not too much to ask!

:lol: Yeah it's a fair amount to bring at once which is why I think they might be split across Monaco and Canada as well. Also there is the in season test at Barcelona after the race where they might appear.

Alonso was said to be in the sim since Sunday which can be a sign of a major update going by his history according to a fan of his on another site so fingers crossed anyway.

AMuS say it's enough to secure 4th but not enough to trouble the top 3.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:39 am 

Shamelessly lifted from Thunder over on f1technical..

AMuS Article on the Barcelona Upgrade:
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... neue-nase/

- Nose passed the Crash Test on April 11th. Seemingly a mix of existing Concepts, but never done in a Combination like the Barca Version.

- 2 Working Groups over the Winter. One for the Base Car they did testing with. One for the 2018 Aero Concept, which doesn't work without the new Nose ans thus had to be held back.

- No promises regarging Performance.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:16 am 

From that article and shamelessly lifted from CPR on Autosport..

AMuS wrote:
McLaren will be at the GP Spain with the car at the start, which should already be ready in Melbourne. One can also speak of a B version of the MCL33 during the upgrade. The most spectacular detail will be the new nose.

For a long time McLaren has made a big secret out of it. Fernando Alonso indicated between the lines that McLaren could not be judged until some upgrades came to the car. Well, just in time for the European start of the GP Spain, it is finally time.

McLaren presents its MCL33 in the form he should have had at the start of the season. But the development was delayed in the course of the conversion to the Renault engine and because of the technical problems in the winter test drives. It is rumored that Chassis project leader Tim Goss has also stumbled upon this and the team has been led to order the decision-making structures in the technical office more efficiently.

The first stage of the McLaren is actually a B version. Nose, wings, deflectors, baffles in front of the side boxes, underbody and the trim in the rear should be new. So half the car.

The most striking detail will be the new nose. She passed her crash test on April 11th. Probably also a reason for the late use. Rumor has it that the nose of the MCL33 is pretty spectacular in design. A mix of familiar concepts, but unique in their combination.

It's quite possible that McLaren says goodbye to the stub nose, perhaps picking up on the Force India idea with the holes and connecting them to the sleek design of the Mercedes. The puzzle will not be revealed until Thursday in Barcelona, ​​when the car is rolled for technical inspection at the FIA.

McLaren has held back since the start of the season, contrary to the company policy with aerodynamic innovations pretty much. A small change to the underbody there, a few baffles and new brake ventilation there. A McLaren employee tells us, "There were two work groups over the winter. A basic car for the test drives, as a test vehicle for the Renault engine in a sense. The other has worked on the actually planned Aero concept. But that had to be held back until the new nose was ready for use. Nose and front wing determine what happens further back in the car. "

McLaren is silent about what the big upgrade should bring. We only hear that the numbers from the wind tunnel are promising. The retreading should at least bring McLaren to the top of the midfield. As you are already concerned with the World Cup points, but not yet of the speed.

Those responsible speak of damage limitation with a car, which they carried to the grave after the GP Azerbaijan. We know that Alonso wants more than just fourth place. He spoke before the season of wanting to keep up with the big ones.

But the Spaniard is experienced enough to know that big steps seldom go down the first time. That's why he last called a two-month period. That would coincide with the debut of the first evolution of the Renault V6 turbo at GP Canada. Then there should really be no excuses.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:49 am 

Zoue wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Nose
Nose deflectors
Bargeboard
Floor
Engine Cover
Front Wing
Rear Wing

If they do make progress, it still would be distorted as other teams will be getting upgrades as well. Renault (team only?) are getting a new fuel as an upgrade as well which they believe will give them 3/10's of a second advantage.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:55 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Nose
Nose deflectors
Bargeboard
Floor
Engine Cover
Front Wing
Rear Wing

If they do make progress, it still would be distorted as other teams will be getting upgrades as well. Renault (team only?) are getting a new fuel as an upgrade as well which they believe will give them 3/10's of a second advantage.

McLaren get that fuel too. (Petrobras don't supply until next year) Red Bull don't get it as they use Esso.

Haas,Renault and someone else I've forgotten aren't bringing anything but tweaks apparently. Renault brought their upgrades to Baku so are already on the car.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:13 am 

Renault fuel worth 0.3? That would surely put the Renault engine on par with Ferrari and Mercedes in race trim. That is a huge amount to gain.

If Red Bull get that, all other things equal that would likely make them the quickest car in race trim at most tracks.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:17 am 

Johnson wrote:
Renault fuel worth 0.3? That would surely put the Renault engine on par with Ferrari and Mercedes in race trim. That is a huge amount to gain.

If Red Bull get that, all other things equal that would likely make them the quickest car in race trim at most tracks.

I read 1th at least so there's some margin of error I'd say. Development of software can unlock more though so you could end up getting 3ths from it but we won't know if that's peak power for quali or for the race efficiency wise.

Red Bull don't get it as they don't use BP but they get their own upgrades from Esso, who I think have one coming in Monaco or Canada.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:37 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
Johnson wrote:

I read 1th at least so there's some margin of error I'd say. Development of software can unlock more though so you could end up getting 3ths from it but we won't know if that's peak power for quali or for the race efficiency wise.

Red Bull don't get it as they don't use BP but they get their own upgrades from Esso, who I think have one coming in Monaco or Canada.

Here' the article regarding this. It's BP upgrade i.e. Renault & McLaren will get the benefit.
https://grandpx.news/news/one-more-reason-to-cheer-for-renault/

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:46 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Here' the article regarding this. It's BP upgrade i.e. Renault & McLaren will get the benefit.

Yeah that's what I said wasn't it? :?:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 am 

Recently read about an article about Alonso's hopes pertaining to the upgrades McLaren getting to Spain. This is what he said:

"In Barcelona there is a new aero package coming, but I think 95 percent of the paddock is bringing a new aero package to Barcelona.

“So, maybe the gap remains as it is, or we just recover a little bit, or we lose more ground.

“Who knows?

I think it is up to us to make that package work to expectations and hopefully some others, they don’t deliver."
http://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-hopefully-rivals-dont-deliver/

Does this show Alonso has less confidence in the McLaren upgrades & instead hopes other teams upgrades don't work in order for McLaren to get a lead in the midfield group?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:51 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Yeah that's what I said wasn't it? :?:

Bang on Mate! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:59 am 

:thumbup:

I think Alonso is just covering his bases. They've been criticised for talking too much so they seem to be under promising in the hope of over delivering with this upgrade.

Hoping your rivals stutter is pretty normal so I don't think it speaks to the quality of the upgrades personally but then I'm not expecting some miracle gains.

They've been close to 4th best in race pace but suffer in qualifying so I think this upgrade will put them 4th best in both but still a good second or so away from Red Bull.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:59 am 

It's usually one of the least exciting races, but on the plus side it is a good indicator of where teams are going to be relative to each other in the season ahead, so that aspect has my interest.

Also, the current weather forecast for Montmelo is 90% chance of rain on Saturday and Sunday. (Source - http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/predicc ... #detallada)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:01 pm 

Typical. McLaren bring a shed load of harder tyres to test the upgrades and we're going to get rain,lol.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Typical. McLaren bring a shed load of harder tyres to test the upgrades and we're going to get rain,lol.

Well they should know. Even now there's a severe weather warning for rain and thunderstorms in Montmeló today and tomorrow. (And I'm going by the Spanish national weather agency not by some phone app).

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 pm 

Alex53 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Well they should know. Even now there's a severe weather warning for rain and thunderstorms in Montmeló today and tomorrow. (And I'm going by the Spanish national weather agency not by some phone app).

Tyre choices were made 8 weeks ago to be fair.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:14 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Alex53 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

True that.

They all get the same amount of wet tyres right?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:16 pm 

Alex53 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Alex53 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

True that.

They all get the same amount of wet tyres right?

I think so yeah.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:16 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
:thumbup:

I think Alonso is just covering his bases. They've been criticised for talking too much so they seem to be under promising in the hope of over delivering with this upgrade.

Hoping your rivals stutter is pretty normal so I don't think it speaks to the quality of the upgrades personally but then I'm not expecting some miracle gains.

They've been close to 4th best in race pace but suffer in qualifying so I think this upgrade will put them 4th best in both but still a good second or so away from Red Bull.

As per the article below, here's what's going to be new on the MCL33 will have a new nose, wings, deflectors, the front of the sidepods, the floor and the trim in the rear!

https://grandpx.news/news/mclaren-to-get-a-nose-job-for-spain/

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:18 pm 

I just checked the odds on bwin and Vettel is the odds on favourite for pole position. I can’t remember the last time someone other than Mercedes was the bookies favourite for pole before the weekend had begun. You’d probably have to go back to 2013.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:38 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
I just checked the odds on bwin and Vettel is the odds on favourite for pole position. I can’t remember the last time someone other than Mercedes was the bookies favourite for pole before the weekend had begun. You’d probably have to go back to 2013.

This track should suit Ferrari quite well.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:33 pm 

I said straight after Baku I would be shocked if Vettel doesn't get pole, Ferrari really need to lock out the front row and keep 1-2 after the first corner to control the race. Hamilton has gained many points at 2 grand prixs when Vettel should have extended his lead.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:38 pm 

KingVoid wrote:

Singapore last year had Vettel as favourite for pole as well if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:32 pm 

Going to be interesting to see the performance of Mercedes/Ferrari this weekend.

Should answer whether the floor upgrade after Australia really has had the impact or if the performance between them will be circuit dependant.

Mercedes looked clearly faster in pre season testing so if they don't at least match Ferrari they should be very concerned for the year ahead.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:18 pm 

I think Merc might turn the tables on Ferrari here. First time they dont have to run the ultra softs in quali this year. Everyone is bringing upgrades so there might be some reshuffling of the pecking order. And it looks like it will be a wet quali too, which would make Redbulls serious contenders for pole...so nothing is certain at the moment imo.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:20 am 

Has there been rain in any qualifying session or race here since 1996?

I would like to see a wet qualifying.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:36 am 

Component usage going into this weekend:

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:17 am 

Am I right in saying that the CE is supplied by one party (McLaren, IIRC)? In which case, what is the rationale behind limiting its use as the teams don't have much control over it anyway?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:39 pm 

Weather forecast update (from Spanish National Weather Agency, aemet.es)

Friday 00–12h: 30% chance of rain
Friday 12-24h: 0% chance of rain

Saturday 00–12h: 55% chance of rain
Saturday 12-24h: 95% chance of rain (+ thunderstorm)

Sunday: 90% chance of rain