planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:14 am 

I'd love if the paddles did literally nothing, and were designed to have Mercedes & Red Bull waste time trying to figure it out. Inspired by the "OMG WHAT IS HIDDEN" after Vettel removed the wheel last season..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:25 am 

Blackhander wrote:
Completely just a theory off the top of my head but it seems logical enough to me, but it could be that the paddles function is actually to control the amount of battery harvesting. They've got dials and overtake buttons controlling discharge and generally the harvesting is left up to the engine. It could be that the paddle controls harvesting. Obviously it is an RVDT and not a momentary switch, so it is continuously variable not just on off.

It seems to me this would be very useful. For example when using DRS and in a slipstream the car will be much faster than the one in front so if he can use that power differential to charge the battery if not quite close enough for an overtake then that will help close the gap quicker and being variable he can be charging just enough to hold the gap without overdoing it and slowing down.

Another use which would play into the FIA blown exhaust business is that as he is going through the corner obviously you are not using full power mid turn, but you DO need maximum downforce... So logically if you can generate more exhaust gasses you will energise the rear wing and increase downforce and grip allowing you to use even more power and get through the turn faster.

This paddle could be used to do that perfectly! If vettel simultaneously applied more throttle but balanced it out by charging the battery therefore increasing the load upon the engine you'll be getting much more energetic exhaust stream, AND charging your battery pack while the power to the ground remains the same and everything is balanced.

Thoughts?

I know that the MGU-K is limited while the MGU-H is not. I will admit that I have no idea how the system works exactly, but I thought the ECU controls the amount of harvesting.

Now I am not sure however if the teams can regulate the MGU-H harvesting or it is all done by the little magic box of tricks. So my question to people with better understanding of this system, is if the teams are allowed to play with the harvesting levels?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:12 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Rockie wrote:
This could have been post race questions or drivers press conference, but I have not heard one asking Vettel or Raikkonen about the paddle.

... and you really think they'd answer that truthfully if it was something potentially rule-breaking?

Lol so you believe Ferrari or any team will put anything that's "potentially rule-breaking" in full view of everyone?

It's probably a diff setting paddle or brake bias control.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:08 am 

So does anyone know if the paddle is still there?

I say this as Ferrari seemed to be off the pace, perhaps down on power so does this coincide with the paddle, perhaps Ferrari have been told to alter it by the FIA.

Does anyone know?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:59 am 

Option or Prime wrote:

I say this as Ferrari seemed to be off the pace, perhaps down on power so does this coincide with the paddle, perhaps Ferrari have been told to alter it by the FIA.

Does anyone know?

Well as Kimi never had it and is the same in relation to Seb...

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:00 am 

dompclarke wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Does anyone know?

Kimi did have it, according to reports at the time. The first report was misleading as it claimed it was only on Vettel's car, but it was subsequently revealed to be on Kimi's, too, IIRC

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am 

Zoue wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Does anyone know?

Kimi did have it, according to reports at the time. The first report was misleading as it claimed it was only on Vettel's car, but it was subsequently revealed to be on Kimi's, too, IIRC

Yes, they said both cars had it, some reports at least

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 am 

OK that's clarified but do they still have it! I can't find any cockpit pics of Spain, I wondered if the was something buried in a site somewhere?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:31 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
OK that's clarified but do they still have it! I can't find any cockpit pics of Spain, I wondered if the was something buried in a site somewhere?

I'm sure I saw Ted Kravitz interviewing Mattia Binotto about the paddle so it must still be on Vettel's car, I can't remember the whole interview but I don't remember Kimi being mentioned, I always thought Kimi never had the paddle but that was his choice.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016