planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Which driver won each intra-team battle in China?
Poll ended at Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:39 pm
Hamilton 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Bottas 10%  10%  [ 33 ]
Vettel 7%  7%  [ 22 ]
Raikkonen 4%  4%  [ 14 ]
Ricciardo 11%  11%  [ 35 ]
Verstappen 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Perez 4%  4%  [ 12 ]
Ocon 5%  5%  [ 15 ]
Stroll 6%  6%  [ 20 ]
Sirotkin 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Sainz 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Hulkenberg 10%  10%  [ 33 ]
Gasly 3%  3%  [ 10 ]
Hartley 6%  6%  [ 19 ]
Grosjean 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Magnussen 9%  9%  [ 28 ]
Alonso 10%  10%  [ 32 ]
Vandoorne 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Ericsson 6%  6%  [ 20 ]
Leclerc 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 317
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:39 pm 

Here are the results of the Bahrain vote:

Once again, a number of decisive victories. Pierre Gasly gained 100% of the 45 votes made for the Toro Rosso drivers, whilst also scoring over 90% of the vote were Vettel, Ricciardo, Hulkenberg, Magnussen, Alonso and Ericsson. Hamilton/Bottas were separated by just two votes (23-21 in Lewis' favour) while Ocon and Stroll both garnered more votes. The total for the season is as follows:

Hamilton 2-0 Bottas (74%/26%)
Vettel 1-1 Raikkonen (62%/38%)
Ricciardo 2-0 Verstappen (94%/6%)
Perez 1-1 Ocon (58%/42%)
Stroll 2-0 Sirotkin (82%/18%)
Hulkenberg 2-0 Sainz (83%/17%)
Gasly 1-1 Hartley (68%/32%)
Magnussen 2-0 Grosjean (90%/10%)
Alonso 2-0 Vandoorne (97%/3%)
Ericsson 2-0 Leclerc (78%/22%)

2-0 leads for seven drivers, three of whom have received at least 90% of the vote over the first two races. It's probably too soon to start forming opinions, but at both races we've seen seven drivers very clearly (90%+ of the vote) identified as having beaten their teammate that weekend, whilst Hamilton/Bottas in Bahrain is the only occasion that there has been less than 10% difference in the vote. Interesting to see if that trend continues across the season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:39 am 

I went with Bottas / Vettel / Ricciardo / Perez / Stroll / Hulk / Gasly / KMag / Alonso / Leclerc.

The tough calls were Gasly and Leclerc; neither Toro Rosso was good, so I went with the one that looked faster in the race, while Leclerc looked faster than Ericsson but threw it all away. I'll admit my vote for Leclerc isn't totally consistent with my vote against Verstappen, but I think it's more of a reflection that Leclerc out-qualified Ericsson for the first time and looks to be gaining ground. That, and I know that it's a percentage number... ;)

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:14 am 

Exediron wrote:
I went with Bottas / Vettel / Ricciardo / Perez / Stroll / Hulk / Gasly / KMag / Alonso / Leclerc.

The tough calls were Gasly and Leclerc; neither Toro Rosso was good, so I went with the one that looked faster in the race, while Leclerc looked faster than Ericsson but threw it all away. I'll admit my vote for Leclerc isn't totally consistent with my vote against Verstappen, but I think it's more of a reflection that Leclerc out-qualified Ericsson for the first time and looks to be gaining ground. That, and I know that it's a percentage number... ;)

Leclerc outqualified Ericsson because Ericsson didn't manage to to a good final lap. Leclerc himself ruined Ericsson's first run by spinning. Ericsson may not have backed off sufficiently (and got a penalty for this), but he did say he backed off a bit, so it will have ruined his time. But yes, Ericsson could have improved later on. But then even in the race, Leclerc spun again and went off and Ericsson beat him. A bit much to say Leclerc had a better weekend in my view. He finished 20 seconds behind Ericsson.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
A bit much to say Leclerc had a better weekend in my view. He finished 20 seconds behind Ericsson.

Sure, and Vettel finished 25 seconds behind Raikkonen. I think Ericsson is going to win the vote anyway, I just think Leclerc deserves for it to be closer this time.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:49 am 

Exediron wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
A bit much to say Leclerc had a better weekend in my view. He finished 20 seconds behind Ericsson.

Sure, and Vettel finished 25 seconds behind Raikkonen. I think Ericsson is going to win the vote anyway, I just think Leclerc deserves for it to be closer this time.

And it was 100% Verstappen's fault that Vettel finished that far behind Kimi. But fair enough. I didn't vote Ricciardo as one of the drivers of the day purely because I thought it seemed silly the amount of voted he got over Bottas. If they had been fairly even, I will have voted both.

I just thought it was pretty clear that Leclerc had a worse weekend than his heavily critisized team mate again. His start to the race was good, but he blew his own chances of it being a better result.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:54 am 

Bottas, Vettel, Ricciardo, Perez, Stroll, Hulkenberg, Hartley, Magnussen, Alonso, Ericsson.

- Bottas outperformed Lewis this weekend and was unlucky that the SC came out and took a potential win away from him.
- Vettel because he outqualified Kimi and would've finished P2 without the SC. Obviously Ferrari heavily compromised Kimi's strategy but Seb was already ahead of him when that started playing out.
- Ricciardo's a no-brainer, although I see one joker has voted for Max. I'd love to see the explanation on that...
- Perez got into Q3 whilst Ocon did not. Neither driver was able to overtake Magnussen for the final points finish, despite both being given a chance to, so I've voted for Perez on the back of his strong quali performance.
- Stroll over Sirotkin as I felt Lance did a better job in the race, despite again getting outqualified. If/when Sergei gets on top of the tyre management I think Lance is going to have a real problem on his hands as he clearly has no pace at all over one lap, but right now Sirotkin's inexperience is hurting him.
- Hulkenberg was comfortably ahead of Sainz for the third race in a row. That's becoming a trend now, isn't it? Throwing this out there, but if Hulkenberg keeps this up, does he works his way into the discussion for the potentially available Mercedes/Ferrari seats?
- Hartley over Gasly. Another tough-ish choice, but Gasly loses points for me as he ultimately caused the collision with Hartley, even with the circumstances being what they were.
- Magnussen as Grosjean went backwards in the race while KMag picked up a point.
- Alonso was again consistently ahead of Vandoorne. I really don't think Stoffel is doing a bad job, just Alonso is Alonso and that's a really, really high bar.
- Ericsson over Leclerc. While Charles did outqualify Marcus, his spin in the race damaged his car and undid that good work. He's getting closer though, so I hope he's finding his feet a little more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:33 am 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Bottas, Vettel, Ricciardo, Perez, Stroll, Hulkenberg, Hartley, Magnussen, Alonso, Ericsson.

- Ricciardo's a no-brainer, although I see one joker has voted for Max. I'd love to see the explanation on that...

In general, I agree with all you said, including the point I have quoted.
And no, it wasn't me, but if I had watched only the first 10 laps it could have been.

Yes, Verstappen has earned criticism and hopefully he will learn. Accepting the blame is a good start to that.

But the team mate wars point is that Verstappen was actually better than Ricciardo in the first few laps....and he generally is better at overtaking at that early stage of the race. Ricciardo is at his best in the second half of the race. Max is most likely to win a head to head with Ricciardo when one of them has there race cut short so there is no comparison for the second half of the race.

If the race had been stopped instead of a safety car at that point, Max would have been the one everyone voted for. Interesting that.