planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:00 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:22 am 
Warheart01 wrote:
It was a good race thanks to the SC, without it it would probably have been a procession.

-Ferrari used Kimi to secure the win for Vettel, again. I'm happy that it failed.
-Ferrari is the car to beat at the moment even though this race was a bit of a disaster for them because of things out of their control, but they too failed with the strategy.
-Mercedes crumbling under pressure and failing with strategy, again.
-Hamilton could have been better during the weekend. (There I said it).
-Verstappen is starting to make this into a habit.
-10 second penalty if not enough for Gasly and Verstappen.
-Very happy for Ricciardo, great driving for the win and his smile is epic.

Buxton: "One very interesting point from the post race pen. Toro Rosso had told Hartley to give Gasly the position at the hairpin. Hartley proffered the information first. Gasly confirmed it. When he saw Hartley lift and coast he assumed he was acting on order to switch. The rest we know."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:24 am 
Oh, I did not know. Thanks for that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:26 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
It was a good race thanks to the SC, without it it would probably have been a procession.

-Ferrari used Kimi to secure the win for Vettel, again. I'm happy that it failed.
-Ferrari is the car to beat at the moment even though this race was a bit of a disaster for them because of things out of their control, but they too failed with the strategy.

I am wondering if they were just more strict with penalties in 2016. In Bahrain, Bottas got a drive through penalty for hitting Hamilton. And that was in the first corner on the opening lap. Hamilton's car probably had a similar amount of damage to vettel's this race, although Hamilton managed to climb back to 3rd. But Verstappen just got a 10 second penalty for making Vettel fall right back and being unable to recover. Bit if a different incident, but they certainly haven't been very harsh on Gasly or Verstappen. But then when I think about it, Vettel got a much worse penalty for his move in baku. While it was totally unnecessary and against the rules, it didn't exactly affect either his or Hamilton's race until the penalty. Then Bottas and Kimi is Russia 2015, Kimi got a 30 second penalty. When I look at many other incidents and their penalties, it makes the ones Verstappen and Gasly got look more realistic actually.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:27 am 

Edit - can't get the link to work and having to refresh 20 times just to preview ain't worth it.

Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
[tweet]985427957706616832?s=19[/tweet]

I don't know if it's just me but that tweet didn't come through

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:31 am 

Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Nah it's not you, not sure what's going wrong but I'm messing something up and the site is way to unstable to play around with it.

Nothing important anyway just a funny one here's the full link: https://twitter.com/Jamesbmclaren/statu ... 16832?s=19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:38 am 

gregs51 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
lamo wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Everyone called it and everyone was spot on, it's not Monaco. Mercedes strategy team can't deal with pressure.

Everyone that called it, assumed Hamilton had new softs. He had 6 lap old softs .

He had 6 lap old softs from Q2? They would still be better than the mediums, still the wrong call by Merc.

This. 100% agree.

After hearing Toto's comments post race, and from what we've witnessed in past seasons, Mercedes are too reliant on computer algo's to tell them how to go racing. Red Bull today showed that gut racing instinct can snatch you a win.

I've said in previous threads as far back as 2016 that this is Mercedes' achilles heel. It's all well and good when you are much faster than your opponents and your car can bail you out of shoddy calls, but when the racing is close and hard (resulting in unforeseen nuances that can't be 'programmed') you'll be exposed through lack of gut instinct. This won't be the last gaff by Mercedes this season.

Also I was thinking if you look at the Rosberg years when neither driver was supposedly allowed an unfair strategy advantage, and the fact that the stewards ensured the leaders were not able to stop for tyres, would Mercedes consider giving Hamilton the opportunity to beat Bottas and winning the race to be unfair?

I understand Kimi wondered why Ferrari did not pit him so it seemed an obvious thing to do, can you imagine if Vettel had been running in 6th place he would not have pitted, he would have probably insisted?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 am 

F1_Ernie wrote:
gregs51 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
lamo wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Everyone called it and everyone was spot on, it's not Monaco. Mercedes strategy team can't deal with pressure.

Everyone that called it, assumed Hamilton had new softs. He had 6 lap old softs .

He had 6 lap old softs from Q2? They would still be better than the mediums, still the wrong call by Merc.

This. 100% agree.

After hearing Toto's comments post race, and from what we've witnessed in past seasons, Mercedes are too reliant on computer algo's to tell them how to go racing. Red Bull today showed that gut racing instinct can snatch you a win.

I've said in previous threads as far back as 2016 that this is Mercedes' achilles heel. It's all well and good when you are much faster than your opponents and your car can bail you out of shoddy calls, but when the racing is close and hard (resulting in unforeseen nuances that can't be 'programmed') you'll be exposed through lack of gut instinct. This won't be the last gaff by Mercedes this season.

2 out of 3 races this season. Some could even say Bahrain to some degree.

Drive to the delta, drive to the delta.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 am 

As a Mercedes fan, I have to say it was a very interesting and fun race to watch today, but mainly thanks to the safety car lottery, which is part of racing. As somebody else mentioned, it was a bit of a procession in the first half of the race, following each other at 2 seconds apart. Mercedes are terrible at making decisions in the spur of the moment. I think we all saw that pitting Hamilton at the time of the safety car was the thing to do as he would not have lost track position to those around him. Even slightly used softer tyres would have been the better tyre to be on.

The Ferrari looks like the best all round car so far, having performed well in all quali sessions and races this year. The Mercedes appears to be more of a diva this year than last!

It's sad to see Kimi once again having his race strategy completely compromised and ruined in an attempt to hold up Bottas and allow Vettel to get closer, although this time around fortunately luck intervened and Kimi benefited for once.

Kudos to Riccardio, amazing drive especially after yesterdays issues, a well earned victory. Also a shout out to Bottas who didn't really put a tyre wrong during the race and for once again out performing Hamilton.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Nah it's not you, not sure what's going wrong but I'm messing something up and the site is way to unstable to play around with it.

Nothing important anyway just a funny one here's the full link: https://twitter.com/Jamesbmclaren/statu ... 16832?s=19

seen it now :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:41 am 
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

I am wondering if they were just more strict with penalties in 2016. In Bahrain, Bottas got a drive through penalty for hitting Hamilton. And that was in the first corner on the opening lap. Hamilton's car probably had a similar amount of damage to vettel's this race, although Hamilton managed to climb back to 3rd. But Verstappen just got a 10 second penalty for making Vettel fall right back and being unable to recover. Bit if a different incident, but they certainly haven't been very harsh on Gasly or Verstappen. But then when I think about it, Vettel got a much worse penalty for his move in baku. While it was totally unnecessary and against the rules, it didn't exactly affect either his or Hamilton's race until the penalty. Then Bottas and Kimi is Russia 2015, Kimi got a 30 second penalty. When I look at many other incidents and their penalties, it makes the ones Verstappen and Gasly got look more realistic actually.

Penalties aren't given for how much they affect the out come of the race. If you jump the start and still lose positions, you are still getting a penalty. If you speed in the pitlane but gain no advantage in racing terms. You get a penalty.. etc etc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:46 am 

Hamilton needs to take some responsibility in not making the call to pit himself. He’s been in F1 way too long not to understand this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:54 am 
shay550 wrote:
Hamilton needs to take some responsibility in not making the call to pit himself. He’s been in F1 way too long not to understand this.

The drivers don't know who is behind and running at what pace, on what compound and what aged tyre. They don't know who is 1 or 2 stopping. Who had stopped yet and who hasn't. Where he comes out if he pits.. what is the pit stop delta pitting under a SC... so many variables the driver does not know. So its down to the team. The drivers are clueless to make a split decision on this.

The team didn't even tell him he had two Red Bulls behind him on new softs, he had to ask "am I right in thinking the cars behind me all have new tyres?" that was literally just before the restart and the team hadn't informed him he was going to be attacked.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:02 am 

lamo wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

Buxton: "One very interesting point from the post race pen. Toro Rosso had told Hartley to give Gasly the position at the hairpin. Hartley proffered the information first. Gasly confirmed it. When he saw Hartley lift and coast he assumed he was acting on order to switch. The rest we know."

Hartley apparently questioned the decision that early in the race so basically ignored the order.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:03 am 

Just a quick note: To the people suffering with the blank page issue/HTTP Error 500/half loaded web pages, first off, apologies, secondly, if you could direct a post about the problem into the Feedback topic at the top of the main topic list, it'd be appreciated. The more noise gets made about the issue, hopefully the more it gets noticed by the people who have the power to fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:07 am 

shay550 wrote:

I doubt they would have let him pit anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:11 am 

lamo wrote:
shay550 wrote:

The drivers don't know who is behind and running at what pace, on what compound and what aged tyre. They don't know who is 1 or 2 stopping. Who had stopped yet and who hasn't. Where he comes out if he pits.. what is the pit stop delta pitting under a SC... so many variables the driver does not know. So its down to the team. The drivers are clueless to make a split decision on this.

The team didn't even tell him he had two Red Bulls behind him on new softs, he had to ask "am I right in thinking the cars behind me all have new tyres?" that was literally just before the restart and the team hadn't informed him he was going to be attacked.

Yeah they sort of didn't want to tell him, a team that can't make a decision on the fly, I think this we thought it a better decision to stay out is just a cover for we didn't know what to do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 am 

I "thought" that apart from any other strategy/computer work all the teams had a dedicated strategist/computer program continually updating what the best thing to do if a Safety Car is called at that precise second ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:30 pm 

Verstappen looked very down in the interviews understandably. Hopefully, he takes it on the chin and it doesn't knock his confidence. Red Bull should have had a 1-2 today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:35 pm 

pokerman wrote:
lamo wrote:
shay550 wrote:

Yeah they sort of didn't want to tell him, a team that can't make a decision on the fly, I think this we thought it a better decision to stay out is just a cover for we didn't know what to do.

Just seen that Hamilton didn't have any fresh tyres left.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:46 pm 
How Bottas took the lead?

He was 3.2 behind Vettel as he entered the pits...

In lap: -0.600 quicker than Vettel
Total time in spent pit lane: -1.0 second quicker that Vettel. This incorporates a bit of the in lap too
Out lap: -2.2 his out lap appears to the equivalent of something like a 37.0. Vettel's in lap about the equivalent of a 39.2

Net gain 3.8 seconds which works out about right to the 0.8 he came out ahead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:50 pm 

Merc do seem too reliant on alogos and stuff and do seem slow to react, can't help but wonder if Brawn was still in charge would he have pitted Hamilton? Probably. If the safety car comes out and you are near the pits on a 1 stop on old tyres, its a no brainer.

The verstappen/hamilton and vettel/alonso incidents were pure racing on the edge stuff, sometimes it works other times not

Verstappen/vettel Verstappen was a bit too ambitious but it did look as they said on sky, Vettel was struggling to turn then suddenly it did as it was told, if he had continued to struggle with the turn Verstappen may have made the move stick, basically, yes it was reckless but I can see why he thought it would work

I have to wonder just how dominant ricciardo could be in a Ferrari or a Merc, his overtakes are becoming the stuff of legend the one on Hamilton I think brundle was halfway through saying not close enough this lap but will have Hamilton the next if he has a clean lap..just for him to zoom past there and then, I have noticed ricciardo prefers to pass BEFORE then corner instead of on it the way others do

Kimi is an odd one, its like yeah he gets used by the team to help vettel but its like he doesn't care, he has his championship, he's had his wins and his memories, its like he's too cynical to care, he's getting paid and that's all that matters, almost like piquet post 87, he is quick enough to be of use to a team but that's all you'll get

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:52 pm 

lamo wrote:

Total time in spent pit lane: -1.0 second quicker that Vettel. This incorporates a bit of the in lap too
Out lap: -2.2 his out lap appears to the equivalent of something like a 37.0. Vettel's in lap about the equivalent of a 39.2

Sky also said that Vettel slowed down to the pit lane speed much sooner than he needed to. I know Vettel has a slightly slower stop, but going in and out of the pits as well as his outlap, I think Bottas managed to do a better job than Vettel at that stage.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:55 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
lamo wrote:

Sky also said that Vettel slowed down to the pit lane speed much sooner than he needed to. I know Vettel has a slightly slower stop, but going in and out of the pits as well as his outlap, I think Bottas managed to do a better job than Vettel at that stage.

It seems they felt they had more in hand than they actually did. Vettel is normally pretty good with in- and out-laps, so I can only put this one down to complacency. They lost the chance of the win right there

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:11 pm 

lamo wrote:
Verstappen is a complete liability, I was a fan of his talent before this season but he should have learned by now. This is season 4.

The spin in Australia, collision with Hamilton in Bahrain, going off overtaking Hamilton today with zero patience, the collision with Vettel today. Embarrassing driving. He has made 4 major driving errors in 3 races.

As a Hamilton fan with him starting P5 on Ultras today, I was very fearful of Lewis going out on lap 1 today and felt the same when he was coming at Lewis on US. He is a complete liability taking out WDC challengers left right and centre. Verstappen threw away a race win.

I think Verstappen deserves a break.

Yes, he has been making moves that would have around 50% chance of not going wrong. Had few that paid off and he felt like a hero - but you could see the lucky outcome could not be counted on. Now he has had a run of times where it went wrong and even from post race he takes blame and needs time to think. Do not underestimate the pressure of having Ricciardo as a team mate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:39 pm 

I like Max but have a new name for him. Maxdonaldo Vercrashen. He will undoubtedly mature into the champ we all expect him to be.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:54 pm 
Zoue wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
lamo wrote:

It seems they felt they had more in hand than they actually did. Vettel is normally pretty good with in- and out-laps, so I can only put this one down to complacency. They lost the chance of the win right there

Giant> I noticed sky said that, but I saw Bottas' pit entry and he slows down about 2-3 cars lengths before the line too. Both were quite cautious

Zoue> Not necessarily complacement from Vettel. His tyres were in a bad way by the end of his stint. His 3 laps before pitting were about 0.8 off his early stint best. Bottas was only 0.5 off his stint best at that point. Same story as Bahrain, Bottas making the tyres last longer in the first stint than Vettel. It appears Vettel tried to break away from laps 11 to 16 and he built the lead by 1 second to 3.5 but in doing so took the life from the tyres.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:09 pm 

Till now it seemed that Mercedes & Ferrari were closely matched with Red Bull trailing behind. Would it be safe to say that Ferrari & Mercedes were keeping an eye on each other's pit strategies & forgot all about Red Bull?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:15 pm 
UnlikeUday wrote:
Till now it seemed that Mercedes & Ferrari were closely matched with Red Bull trailing behind. Would it be safe to say that Ferrari & Mercedes were keeping an eye on each other's pit strategies & forgot all about Red Bull?

Not really, when you are running at the back you can take a gamble and lose nothing. If all the leaders had pitted (if they were able) I am pretty sure Red Bull would have stayed out and tried to win the race by getting track position. When you are 3rd/6th, risks are a lot easier. Although today wasn't even a risk as they went from 3rd and 5th to 5th and 6th. Almost an entirely free pit stop.

Im also not sure Red Bull are behind, they are behind on 1 lap pace which meant they had to run the US in Q2 which meant they started the race on a poor tyre. All things considered, they did very well to take a tyre 18 laps that apparently was going off after 5-6 laps on Friday and only lost about 0.4 per lap to the leaders in doing so. Pretty impressive stuff.

Jury is sitll out, Red Bull may have had the best race pace today. I guess we will never know as we never saw a fair comparison.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:20 pm 

How is this guy still in F1 seriously? What a moron.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:21 pm 

jimmyj wrote:
I like Max but have a new name for him. Maxdonaldo Vercrashen. He will undoubtedly mature into the champ we all expect him to be.

:lol:
Ver-slappin / Ver-smackin

Versteppen is his own worst enemy, to quote david croft "you cant win at poker going all in every hand.".... The guy is a talent but his needs to work on his patience for better race craft execution.

Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:23 pm 

Mayhem wrote:
jimmyj wrote:

Versteppen is his own worst enemy, to quote david croft "you cant win at poker going all in every hand.".... The guy is a talent but his needs to work on his patience for better race craft execution.

Never mind being his own worst enemy, but he's constantly ruining others races.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:24 pm 

Ricciardo "Holy Testicle Tuesday"! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:24 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
lamo wrote:
shay550 wrote:

It's not the excuse Wolff gave though he said they thought it best to have track position.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:26 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
lamo wrote:
shay550 wrote:

It's not the excuse Wolff gave though he said they thought it best to have track position.

With the situation of Hamilton not having the fresh tyres of the Red Bull pair. It may well have been still better to pit but it would make the decision less cut and dry.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:29 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
lamo wrote:

With the situation of Hamilton not having the fresh tyres of the Red Bull pair. It may well have been still better to pit but it would make the decision less cut and dry.

Vettel not happy with the SC

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13541 ... -not-right

Does this mean that Vettel would have pitted given the chance, this then would beg the question why wasn't Kimi pitted?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:32 pm 

Ocon wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
jimmyj wrote:

I am sure the team bosses will point out that RB would have likely has 1st and 2nd had he kept his wits about him. I agree about the ruining other people's races comment. Frustrating.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:32 pm 

Great job done by redbull all wkd. engine swap to get riccardo out for Q1, double pit stops, great call after the safety car, amazing drive by riccardo. Very well deserved team win.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:34 pm 

jimmyj wrote:
Ocon wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
jimmyj wrote:

I am sure the team bosses will point out that RB would have likely has 1st and 2nd had he kept his wits about him. I agree about the ruining other people's races comment. Frustrating.

Max for sure cost them a 1-2 but great overall result for redbull and riccardo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:35 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
lamo wrote:

Apparently the medium tyres are mighty at China, the undercut is strong and didn't Ferrari leave it 2 laps to react.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016