planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:04 am 

3rd win for Vettel / Ferrari in a row?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:20 am 
Ferrari domination. Kimi not allowed to race Vettel. Hoping for a good race for Mercedes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:21 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Never count your chickens till your eggs hatch.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:23 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
Ferrari domination. Kimi not allowed to race Vettel. Hoping for a good race for Mercedes.

Oh come on, just appreciate what you are watching nowhere has Ferrari stopped Kimi, atleast no excuse of Kimi being sent out into traffic today.
Vettel doing it all by himself.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:40 am 

Tomorrow's weather is poised to be warmer which should suit Ferrari all the more. Hoping for some good battles & overtakes during the race.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:49 am 

Merc is lucky that the Redbulls are starting the race on the wrong tire. Seeing how close they are to Merc in qualifying, they are probably a lot quicker in the race. Merc has a major problem on their hands tomorrow. A podium is not guaranteed at all and the win looks pretty far fetched to me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:06 am 

Ferraris and Red Bulls both very close in qualifying. With the front row on the slower tyres to start tomorrow I'm hoping for some good first-lap action.

Yet to see Red Bull's race pace in 2018 so I'm hoping for a six way fight for the win.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:08 am 

kleefton wrote:
Merc is lucky that the Redbulls are starting the race on the wrong tire. Seeing how close they are to Merc in qualifying, they are probably a lot quicker in the race. Merc has a major problem on their hands tomorrow. A podium is not guaranteed at all and the win looks pretty far fetched to me.

Remember Verstappen's clashes and spins, Red Bull's reliability and Ferrari's bad pit stops! While I think the pit stop by Ferrari is unlikely to repeat, Red Bull is not looking at all reliable at the moment. And Verstappen has not yet had a clean race and he's under pressure to perform.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:11 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Remember Verstappen's clashes and spins, Red Bull's reliability and Ferrari's bad pit stops! While I think the pit stop by Ferrari is unlikely to repeat, Red Bull is not looking at all reliable at the moment. And Verstappen has not yet had a clean race and he's under pressure to perform.

Yes, but you can also say they are due to have a clean race.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:33 am 

kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Yes, but you can also say they are due to have a clean race.

Basically the same as last year then. China was one of the few races in the first half of the season they both finished. But there were only 2 others that they both finished. Monaco and Britain. Just 3 out of the first 10 races did they both complete. And only 1 of those 3 weekends (monaco) didn't have either driver suffer issues in qualifying.

Of course you can be hopeful, but I think Red Bull are looking really poor in terms of reliability and I feel it will not be a lot better than last year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:48 am 

Toby. wrote:
Ferraris and Red Bulls both very close in qualifying. With the front row on the slower tyres to start tomorrow I'm hoping for some good first-lap action.

Yet to see Red Bull's race pace in 2018 so I'm hoping for a six way fight for the win.

I take it you mean Mercedes and Red Bulls, not Ferrari?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:00 am 

Lap times of teams when compared to last year at Chinese Grand Prix of 2017. Kindly pay attention to the improvement made by Mercedes & Ferrari in particular:

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 am 

Zoue wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Oop I meant the team-mates looking evenly matched.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:27 am 

Toby. wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Oop I meant the team-mates looking evenly matched.

ah, my bad :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:57 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Lap times of teams when compared to last year at Chinese Grand Prix of 2017. Kindly pay attention to the improvement made by Mercedes & Ferrari in particular:

Source - http://www.imgur.com

Looks like Mercedes have messed up the setup or something looking at that. No improvement from last year and the car looked like a mess on track.

They looked stronger on the harder tyres, as they seemingly always do, so perhaps tomorrow won't be as bad for them. They've got some homework to do on where this weekend went wrong for them though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Looks like Mercedes have messed up the setup or something looking at that. No improvement from last year and the car looked like a mess on track.

They looked stronger on the harder tyres, as they seemingly always do, so perhaps tomorrow won't be as bad for them. They've got some homework to do on where this weekend went wrong for them though.

Wolff did infer that Mercedes were set up more for the race and he seems hopeful that the warmer conditions tomorrow will help Mercedes:

He added: “Tomorrow it's expected to be much warmer, so I hope that we've done the right thing set-up-wise and we'll have better pace in the race than Ferrari.”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-blames-tyre-woes-for-ferrari-deficit-1025982

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:19 am 

Mercedes were also comfortably quicker than Ferrari on the Softs, which they both start on tomorrow. It's not likely that the Ultrasofts will be used at all, so I shouldn't write Mercedes off just yet. Tomorrow will probably be a strategy game

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:21 am 

Warheart01 wrote:

Sad but true :-(( Ferrari will also compromise Kimi race if there is threat to Vettel from Mercedes and RBR. Which I think is likely. Anyways Kimi has to have a good start and do his best

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:37 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Yes, of course. Ferrari is clearly ahead.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Although they look stronger on the softs, they are still behind Ferrari on that tire too. It just seems like the car just doesn't turn in. I've never seen Lewis miss as many apexes in one single weekend. Car looks like an understeering mess, perhaps a bigger diva than last year?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:00 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Mercedes were also comfortably quicker than Ferrari on the Softs, which they both start on tomorrow. It's not likely that the Ultrasofts will be used at all, so I shouldn't write Mercedes off just yet. Tomorrow will probably be a strategy game

Won't the front teams just one stop?

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:25 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Although they look stronger on the softs, they are still behind Ferrari on that tire too. It just seems like the car just doesn't turn in. I've never seen Lewis miss as many apexes in one single weekend. Car looks like an understeering mess, perhaps a bigger diva than last year?

Mercedes finished Q2 comfortably ahead of Ferrari, so on what basis do you feel that they are behind Ferrari on the Softs?

IIRC Merc's long-run pace was good, too. Better than Ferrari's. I think tomorrow will be a lot closer than today

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:28 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Won't the front teams just one stop?

I suspect Mercedes might try an early or late stop, to see if they can at least split the Ferraris or even try and pull off a win in the pits. If they live up to Qualifying expectations, they have superior Soft pace, so may be able to do something with that.

Kimi may act as Vettel's rear gunner, of course, assuming he has a better start than in Bahrain. That'll allow Vettel to build up a lead. I have a feeling it will be Vettel-Hamilton-Kimi tomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:32 pm 
Zoue wrote:

When they both ran the softs at the start of Q2, Ferrari were well ahead. It was only on Mercedes 2nd run once the track was more rubbered and the engine turned up that they went ahead. Ferrari didn’t even need a 2nd run, Vettel stayed in the pits.

But I still think you might be right as Mercedes is closer in race pace and tyre conservation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:39 pm 

Zoue wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Mercedes finished Q2 comfortably ahead of Ferrari, so on what basis do you feel that they are behind Ferrari on the Softs?

Keep in mind though that after the first run on softs, early in Q2, Ferrari were well ahead of both Mercs. They just didn't go out on softs at the end anymore like Mercedes did. No idea how the track improved and how much all of them pushed (it's the race set so some reserve would be good), but it's not really like for like when comparing the Q2 times.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:50 pm 

Zoue wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

IIRC Merc's long-run pace was good, too. Better than Ferrari's. I think tomorrow will be a lot closer than today

On the basis of the track's evolution. As pointed out before when they were both on track on the softs at the same time the Ferrari still looked considerably quicker, although the difference wasn't as big as on the US.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:13 pm 

Why do all the races now start at 10 minutes past the hour??

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:46 pm 

Syholl wrote:

Because a lot of countries were only starting their TV coverage on the hours, literally when the formation lap starts. This is to give them a bit more TV build-up time!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:48 pm 

Syholl wrote:

F1's new owners, Liberty Media, believe moving the start-time of races to 10 minutes past the hour will improve experience of TV viewers.

According to the Formula 1 authorities: 'Some broadcasters usually go on air precisely on the hour, hence missing the tension and emotion that characterize the minutes before the start of each Grand Prix. Thanks to this change, television viewers will be brought closer to the teams and the drivers and fully enjoy the spectacle offered just before the red lights go out.'

Additionally, the hope is that the later starts in Europe and Brazil will increase TV audiences by making the sport more accommodating.

'Research has indicated that a wider TV audience is reachable later in the afternoons, especially in the summer months,' Liberty stated. 'Consequently, it has been decided to move the schedule of every session back by one hour across the whole weekend for each of the above-mentioned Grands Prix.'

From Sky Sports F1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:20 pm 

Kev627 wrote:
Syholl wrote:

F1's new owners, Liberty Media, believe moving the start-time of races to 10 minutes past the hour will improve experience of TV viewers.

According to the Formula 1 authorities: 'Some broadcasters usually go on air precisely on the hour, hence missing the tension and emotion that characterize the minutes before the start of each Grand Prix. Thanks to this change, television viewers will be brought closer to the teams and the drivers and fully enjoy the spectacle offered just before the red lights go out.'

Additionally, the hope is that the later starts in Europe and Brazil will increase TV audiences by making the sport more accommodating.

'Research has indicated that a wider TV audience is reachable later in the afternoons, especially in the summer months,' Liberty stated. 'Consequently, it has been decided to move the schedule of every session back by one hour across the whole weekend for each of the above-mentioned Grands Prix.'

From Sky Sports F1

I wonder if they discovered "Research has indicated that a wider TV audience is reachable Via FTA TV"?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:43 pm 

moby wrote:
Kev627 wrote:
Syholl wrote:

From Sky Sports F1

I wonder if they discovered "Research has indicated that a wider TV audience is reachable Via FTA TV"?

Bigger audience for sure, but they are making far more money overall by moving the f1 experience to pay tv in developed markets.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:45 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:

Kimi can race Seb while respecting the other car, but the facts are clear he's not in the same league so he can't be expected to beat him. There is no conspiracy behind Seb's domination. When it really counts, Seb always pulls something magical out of the bag. Kim on the other hand often makes a mistake like he did in S3 today.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:47 pm 

I thought F1 was trying to get away from every race being a 1 stopper, with the lack of overtaking then at least a strategy battle makes things abit more exciting. Looks like just a simple 1 stopper again tomorrow.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:57 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
I thought F1 was trying to get away from every race being a 1 stopper, with the lack of overtaking then at least a strategy battle makes things abit more exciting. Looks like just a simple 1 stopper again tomorrow.

Problem is none of the front runners will use the US apart from Red Bull.

Maybe they should bring back the rule that you have to start the race using your Q3 tyres, rather than Q2 tyres.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

Kimi can race Seb while respecting the other car, but the facts are clear he's not in the same league so he can't be expected to beat him. There is no conspiracy behind Seb's domination. When it really counts, Seb always pulls something magical out of the bag. Kim on the other hand often makes a mistake like he did in S3 today.

Where was the Kimi mistake in S3?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:21 pm 

davidheath461 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

He went slower in S3 in his final run than he did in the previous lap. Up to S3, Kimi was ahead of Vettel and if he'd only matched his previous S3 he would have had pole. But he went a tenth slower, so clearly didn't hook it up properly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:25 pm 

davidheath461 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Problem is none of the front runners will use the US apart from Red Bull.

Maybe they should bring back the rule that you have to start the race using your Q3 tyres, rather than Q2 tyres.

They get an extra set of tyres in Q3 specifically so they will go the fastest they can and not try to save the tyres for the race, which used to happen. Bringing that back would be a lot worse than the situation we have now

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:31 pm 

Zoue wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

He went slower in S3 in his final run than he did in the previous lap. Up to S3, Kimi was ahead of Vettel and if he'd only matched his previous S3 he would have had pole. But he went a tenth slower, so clearly didn't hook it up properly.

Thanks, but not really answering my question. Where was the mistake in S3? the onboard doesn't show any mistakes in the final corners.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:34 pm 

It's not an obvious mistake, but he did a worse run than previously. So whether you call it a mistake or simply a poor sector, the fact is that he didn't drive as well as he'd already demonstrated he could (in that sector). In other words, he threw away the pole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:24 pm 
davidheath461 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

Thanks, but not really answering my question. Where was the mistake in S3? the onboard doesn't show any mistakes in the final corners.

Entering the back straight, Kimi was 0.50 ahead of Vettel and had a better exit and extending the gap slightly. By the end of the straight he was 0.075 behind Vettel. He lost 0.125 in a straight line.

It would be interesting to see Kimi's run 1 alongside his run 2 to see why he was 0.150 slower in S3. It appears Vettel has a higher top speed, which makes Kimi's run 1 S3 very impressive, just +0.007 behind Vettel. Considering that sector is mostly all straight.

Last edited by lamo on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.